PDA

View Full Version : Pretend you are Wayne Krivsky. What would you like to do?

Handofdeath
01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
The Reds can spend 10 million to improve the ballclub. The contracts are coming back to Earth now and there is still good talent out there. What do you do without making a trade?

Tom Servo
01-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I'd sign some catchers.

Falls City Beer
01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
The Reds can spend 10 million to improve the ballclub. The contracts are coming back to Earth now and there is still good talent out there. What do you do without making a trade?

I don't think the signing of Thomson to a reasonable deal means there's a trend occurring.

edabbs44
01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Put it into mutual funds and spend it on the draft, international FAs and maybe a little left over for next season's FA crop.

DannyB
01-09-2007, 08:29 PM
I'd sign some catchers.

:devil: good one!

PickOff
01-09-2007, 08:41 PM
At this point, I'm more concerned with doing the right things with the Reds' current personel, play the young talent (Deno, EE, keep a spot for Hamilton), put Griffey in right, get over this 'must play the benchwarmers like platoon players' mentality, bat EE or Dunn third, decide if Votto is the 1st baseman of the future (next year)and if not move Dunn to 1st once and for all.

As far as moves, there are no excess players that will net anything worth caring about except more wing and a prayer retreads, so the Reds should be willing to deal anyone if it is a good move - but they must be willing to TAKE ON PAYROLL in the process, or it will not be worth it.

Reds Nd2
01-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I'd be after Mark Mulder like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Falls City Beer
01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I'd be after Mark Mulder like a fat kid on a cupcake.

I imagine it'll take 10 million over two seasons to get it done (with the Reds getting next to nothing out of him for 2007). I'd still do it, but it's not going be for pennies on the dollar.

jojo
01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't think the signing of Thomson to a reasonable deal means there's a trend occurring.

I agree. Thomson's contract indicates the smarter GMs are looking for undervalued guys... (it's shocking Bavasi (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061201&content_id=1749005&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea) didn't pull the trigger.... NOT)

Now to the question-if I were Krivsky, I'd trade EE and Phillips for some middle relief help then extend Courmier, Hatteberg, and Castro several more years while using the rest of the $10M to lure Chuck Knoblauch (http://www.baseball-reference.com/k/knoblch01.shtml) and Mike Pagliarulo (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/paglimi01.shtml) out of retirement....

mth123
01-09-2007, 09:18 PM
I sign Aaron Harang to a contract with bigger money upfront (my $10 Million).

jmac
01-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Now to the question-if I were Krivsky, I'd trade EE and Phillips for some middle relief help then extend Courmier, Hatteberg, and Castro several more years while using the rest of the $10M to lure Chuck Knoblauch (http://www.baseball-reference.com/k/knoblch01.shtml) and Mike Pagliarulo (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/paglimi01.shtml) out of retirement....

So how about this question....what if Krivsky were "you" ??

jmac
01-09-2007, 09:26 PM
I sign Aaron Harang to a contract with bigger money upfront (my $10 Million).

Couldnt agree more.
Anyone know when this "might" happen ? any day now ?? ST ???

Reds Nd2
01-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I imagine it'll take 10 million over two seasons to get it done (with the Reds getting next to nothing out of him for 2007). I'd still do it, but it's not going be for pennies on the dollar.
Agreed. Mulder won't come cheap. But I believe it's going to take more than that for a team to acquire Mulder. Probably in the line of 18 million over two seasons. Still, if I'm Wayne K, I'm trying to get the toe of my boot in the door before it slams shut. I think some team is going to get one hell of a deal on the left hander for about what the Royals will be paying Gil Meche over the next two seasons. Mulder's agent is saying between twenty and twenty-five starts this season. That's cool. The 2006 Cy Young winners made 34 and 33 starts. If I'm Wayne K, I'm looking to win in 2008 and Mark Mulder would be a big piece to add. It won't be cheap, but it won't be another one of the ridiculously long contracts being handed out either.

Falls City Beer
01-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Agreed. Mulder won't come cheap. But I believe it's going to take more than that for a team to acquire Mulder. Probably in the line of 18 million over two seasons. Still, if I'm Wayne K, I'm trying to get the toe of my boot in the door before it slams shut. I think some team is going to get one hell of a deal on the left hander for about what the Royals will be paying Gil Meche over the next two seasons. Mulder's agent is saying between twenty and twenty-five starts this season. That's cool. The 2006 Cy Young winners made 34 and 33 starts. If I'm Wayne K, I'm looking to win in 2008 and Mark Mulder would be a big piece to add. It won't be cheap, but it won't be another one of the ridiculously long contracts being handed out either.

Doesn't Mulder have some pretty iffy hip problem--iffy in the sense of "it probably won't get better?"

Reds Nd2
01-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Since Paul O'Neill won't be going to the Hall of Fame. He might be had cheap.

Reds Nd2
01-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Doesn't Mulder have some pretty iffy hip problem--iffy in the sense of "it probably won't get better?"
Isn't that Isringhausen?

Falls City Beer
01-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Isn't that Isringhausen?

I'm pretty sure Mulder does too. Something in the water in Illinois.

Handofdeath
01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
I was kind of hoping we could discuss potential FA signings. Sign Bruce Chen yada yada yada...Stay with me here Reds fans.:cool:

Sean_CaseyRules
01-09-2007, 09:56 PM

He would be dogging the crap outta whoever the GM was....

edabbs44
01-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I was kind of hoping we could discuss potential FA signings. Sign Bruce Chen yada yada yada...Stay with me here Reds fans.:cool:

This team isn't $10 million away right now. So I would bank it and use it for the future.

RedLegSuperStar
01-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Tony Armas Jr., Trot Nixon, and Mark Loretta.. then make trades later..

George Anderson
01-10-2007, 12:04 AM
I would use it to lure the very best scouts in all of MLB to bring to the team. I basically would do my best to copy the very best farm systems in MLB by hiring the best scouts,coaches, instructors, batboys or whatever. No more wasted draft picks on Ty Howington, Steve Gibralter, Chad Mottola or any of the other numerous busts over the years.

The farm system of this franchise has not produced a quality starting pitcher since Tom Browning, thats where our focus needs to be.

Ron Madden
01-10-2007, 03:35 AM
If I were Wayne,

I'd thank God everyday for the chance of being GM of a MLB Club.

Then I would pray every night that if the next morning finds me unemployed another organization will hire me.. as a scout maybe.. yea that'll work.

Wayne gets and deserves credit for his early moves.

There is no reasonable argument to defend anything he's done or hasn't done since.

He is praised for the improvement of the Farm System while he has done nothing at all to add young talent to any of our Minor League teams.

His mid season deals did more damage than good for the Major League roster.

I Love The Reds... I want Wayne to be successful. I have my doubts.

pedro
01-10-2007, 03:56 AM

:laugh:

Ron Madden
01-10-2007, 04:39 AM
One minute after Wayne Kriviski is no longer GM of the Reds 98% of his most loyal supporters will be slinging mud in his direction. It never fails.

redsmetz
01-10-2007, 07:34 AM
If I were Wayne,

I'd thank God everyday for the chance of being GM of a MLB Club.

Then I would pray every night that if the next morning finds me unemployed another organization will hire me.. as a scout maybe.. yea that'll work.

Wayne gets and deserves credit for his early moves.

There is no reasonable argument to defend anything he's done or hasn't done since.

He is praised for the improvement of the Farm System while he has done nothing at all to add young talent to any of our Minor League teams.

His mid season deals did more damage than good for the Major League roster.

I Love The Reds... I want Wayne to be successful. I have my doubts.

I'm not sure I'd say he's improved the minor league system thus far. That's a considerable job. In fact, I'm surprised that we haven't picked up more minor league free agents. We let go a considerable number of minor leaguers at season's end and I have yet to see the system restocked. Now, I continue to say this is a work in progress. You can't do it in just one draft.

I would disagree that the mid-season trades did significant harm to the Major league roster. Certainly we lost some fire power in Kearns and Lopez and I allow that those bats have not been replaced "hit for hit". But most of the mid-season moves were of the tinkering sort, not terribly significant middle relivers, or a Lohse, who may yet find himself. He's young enough that there can still be an upside to him (despite the protestations to the contrary here on RZ).

No question we've got our work cut out for us yet. I still think WK's working on having a nominally competitive team this year, while continuing to add to the system (draft, FA signings, trades). Has he been perfect? No. But I would disagree with those who suggest he's incompetent (and I'm not implying that you are saying that - you seem to be giving him some benefit of the doubt).

Chip R
01-10-2007, 09:40 AM

Don't worry, we have Doc K around if he has a problem. ;)

KronoRed
01-10-2007, 09:45 AM
He'd wonder he's wearing a ladies sweater at 9:45 in the morning ;)

jojo
01-10-2007, 09:53 AM

He would be a rich man because he would have love.....

:luvu:

But to your point, I've pontificated about what i'd do lots since joining here....

Just as a couple of quick recent examples, in this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53391&highlight=thomson) and this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53716&highlight=jojo) and this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52987&page=2&highlight=college) I've posted some specifics about things I'd do. This thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53638&highlight=college) and this this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53750&highlight=jojo) contain posts where I give reasons why I'm both skeptical of Krivsky but unwilling to *jump off the wagon* yet.

Concerning Lopez, I would have jettisoned him for the same reason Krivsky did---payroll. But I would've moved Phillips to short and platooned Harris/Freel at second. I'd rather flip Phillips and Lopez defensively than pay essentially the same money (that Lopez will likely get in arbitration) for Gonzo to play short. Alternatively, I would've sent Lopez packing, shifted Phillips to short and targeted a short term commitment guy like Durham (2 yr/$15). Kearns would probably be my centerfielder and Deno my right fielder with Freel also getting time at both positions allowing Kearns/Deno to flip back and forth defensively. Griffey would be at first until he got hurt (last week of April) then C. Wilson and Hatteberg would platoon. I also would've looked hard into signing guys like Dellucci and Catalanatto given that Kearns is gone as well as an undervalued high-upside guy like Jeremy Reed.

Anyway, that rant and the linked threads kind of reveal how I view roster formulation. Basically, look for undervalued FA while staying away form long term commitments and try to improve via trades. Given that pitching is so expensive, I'd go after offense in FA. I also think it's more likely than not that Griffey is done with '06 not being a fluke offensively so that colors some of my views. Would my team win the world series? No. but it would have a chance at being a lot better. Also, to be fair, I kept an eye on payroll with those suggestions but probably also doubled what Krivsky likely has a license to spend. We have no clue how much leash he has.....but I'm guessing not a lot.

jojo
01-10-2007, 10:07 AM

Uhhhh.... except that would completely mischaracterize my stated stances on many of these issues......

Believe it or not, I try pretty hard to contribute around here. :dancingco

So for taking an unwarranted shot, a pox on your livestock's livestock......

:mooner:

Bigredfan#1
01-10-2007, 10:19 AM
If K were me we'd still have Kearns and Lopez and could use the money we signed Gonzo with to add to the 10 mill

Bigredfan#1
01-10-2007, 10:29 AM
I would use it to lure the very best scouts in all of MLB to bring to the team. I basically would do my best to copy the very best farm systems in MLB by hiring the best scouts,coaches, instructors, batboys or whatever. No more wasted draft picks on Ty Howington, Steve Gibralter, Chad Mottola or any of the other numerous busts over the years.

The farm system of this franchise has not produced a quality starting pitcher since Tom Browning, thats where our focus needs to be.

I agree! It is hard to balance that and build a team right now!

bucksfan2
01-10-2007, 11:05 AM
If I were the GM i would offer Mulder a little more than what the next guy was. A healthy and effective Mulder gives this team a decent shot at the post season. I would also do my best to give Harang an extention. If you look at a rotation of Harang, Mulder, Arroyo, and Baily (towards the end of the season) the reds could have a good rotation.

TRF
01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I'd use the ten mil, pus another ten mil to start multiple baseball academies in Latin America, Europe, Africa, Asia and the U.S and Canada.

Yes, the U.S. and Canada. Find a way within the rules to open baseball training academies. Maybe fund some private schools. Get an inside track on high school players. I'd avoid Japan like the plague, but I'd be all over Taiwan, Korea and China. And I would be seriously scouting Europe right now. A lot of countries there are starting to have advanced teams. Africa shows a lot of promise. It's a world game.

As for this year, I'd jettison 1-2 of the over 38 year old pitchers if my youngsters perform well in ST. I'd also try to trade for Tim Hudson. I wouldn't go near Mulder. I'd also put Calvin Medlock in Louisville's rotation.

NJReds
01-10-2007, 11:38 AM

Looks like he'll be getting a lot more than $10M for 2 yrs according to this post on MLBtraderumors.com (which quotes the St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Although I'm sure there's a boatload of incentives.

Mark Mulder could decide tonight between the Cardinals, Indians, and Rangers. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the Cards have offered two years and potentially $18MM. The lefty probably won't be ready to pitch until July, but he is looking at two guaranteed years from any of the three clubs.

Falls City Beer
01-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Looks like he'll be getting a lot more than $10M for 2 yrs according to this post on MLBtraderumors.com (which quotes the St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Although I'm sure there's a boatload of incentives.

Yeah, I saw that. That's too much.

Topcat
01-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Put it into mutual funds and spend it on the draft, international FAs and maybe a little left over for next season's FA crop.

Heck of a post edabbs. tr5uth be told they could probably do alot worse with the $$$$. Who is out there to waste the money on really? Spend it on the draft and from round 4 on over pay somke college talent that atleast gives a semblance of rising thru the minors quick. The draft can be argued as a gamble but it is a palatable gamble in comparison to paying Eric Milton 24 million over 3 years. It creates trade chips and builds depth. The only other way is to trade Dunn and Arroyo and Harang for top prospects and that is not! what we should do. Dunn i can see as trade bait but only if the return is 3 prospects who will produce at the MLB level immediately.

The only reason I can advocate sending Dunn away is his defense in LF. Otherwise I agree with edabbs whole heartedly build it up thru the organization.

mth123
01-10-2007, 08:53 PM
He would be a rich man because he would have love.....

:luvu:

But to your point, I've pontificated about what i'd do lots since joining here....

Just as a couple of quick recent examples, in this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53391&highlight=thomson) and this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53716&highlight=jojo) and this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52987&page=2&highlight=college) I've posted some specifics about things I'd do. This thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53638&highlight=college) and this this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53750&highlight=jojo) contain posts where I give reasons why I'm both skeptical of Krivsky but unwilling to *jump off the wagon* yet.

Concerning Lopez, I would have jettisoned him for the same reason Krivsky did---payroll. But I would've moved Phillips to short and platooned Harris/Freel at second. I'd rather flip Phillips and Lopez defensively than pay essentially the same money (that Lopez will likely get in arbitration) for Gonzo to play short. Alternatively, I would've sent Lopez packing, shifted Phillips to short and targeted a short term commitment guy like Durham (2 yr/$15). Kearns would probably be my centerfielder and Deno my right fielder with Freel also getting time at both positions allowing Kearns/Deno to flip back and forth defensively. Griffey would be at first until he got hurt (last week of April) then C. Wilson and Hatteberg would platoon. I also would've looked hard into signing guys like Dellucci and Catalanatto given that Kearns is gone as well as an undervalued high-upside guy like Jeremy Reed.

Anyway, that rant and the linked threads kind of reveal how I view roster formulation. Basically, look for undervalued FA while staying away form long term commitments and try to improve via trades. Given that pitching is so expensive, I'd go after offense in FA. I also think it's more likely than not that Griffey is done with '06 not being a fluke offensively so that colors some of my views. Would my team win the world series? No. but it would have a chance at being a lot better. Also, to be fair, I kept an eye on payroll with those suggestions but probably also doubled what Krivsky likely has a license to spend. We have no clue how much leash he has.....but I'm guessing not a lot.

Excellent. Phillips at SS was something that should have been done. It would have opened 2B for Freel/Harris as you say. If Phillips succeeds, we have the long term answer. If he fails, guys who can play SS and can't hit are a dime a dozen. Instead, we're going to pay $14 Million for one as a 3 year stopgap. Also Phillips value would have skyrocketed had he made a successful transition. I'm guessing with 2006 and 2007 at 2B full-time, the SS ship has sailed for Phillips. That makes him a less valuable player IMO. Another example of an organization devaluing its players. (Freel as an OF only player cuts his value as well.)

I'm also a proponent of Griffey to 1B. I think that would be a much better move than Dunn. Griffey is a good defender who can no longer move which is a good profile for a guy to be pretty good at 1B late in his career. Dunn could end-up a butcher there and a poor 1B does much more harm than a poor LF.

I disagree about a couple things though. If Deno is in the game, he's in CF. Let him use one of his strengths if for no other reason to establish some market value as a CF. With Griffey at 1B, I'd have gone after Delucci to play RF or I'd pursue Ryan Church in trade.

As everyone probably is sick of hearing me say, I'd have passed on Weathers and Stanton and dumped Cormier. I'd have offered Lohse for Soriano from Seattle. The Braves got him for Horacio Ramirez so that isn't so far fetched (I have hindsight to help me there I'll admit). I would pursue undervalued major league pitchers like Wil Ledezma, Kevin Correia, Mike Wuertz, Carlos Marmol, etc to provide lots of options for the rotation (and the late innings in Wuertz case). If one works out, you have something special with Harang, Arroyo and Bailey on the way. Wuertz is a potential closer. I'd have stayed away from the free agent pitchers unless a bargain falls through the cracks (St. Louis may have the best signing of he bunch with Kip Wells IMO).

And there is no way I'd have signed Chad Moeller or obtained Jeff Conine. If I couldn't get more for Larue then the deal WK made, I'd have kept him and shopped Ross.

Reds Nd2
01-12-2007, 08:05 PM
I did a quick search of Will Carroll's UTK articles and turned up the following. I found very little, but nothing indicating the hip problems were degenerative in nature. Of course, if your correct, that would diminish my enthusiasm a bit. None of that matters though, as Mulder has signed with the Cardinals.
The strained hip should have been a signal. People came out of the woodwork, claiming that Mark Mulder had been experiencing pain for weeks, but again, the leakproof A's kept the information out of the hands of everyone who follows injury information. Mulder's injury, as you know, is a stress fracture, not a muscle strain--but what does that mean? The definition of stress fracture is clear cut, but the specifics of Mulder's acetabular fracture are much less clear. First, we have no clear cut facts from media reports or sources. Second, the information is a bit unclear. Most reports have the fracture in the femoral head, or acetabulum. Most stress fractures of this type happen at the femoral neck.

Bottom line: Mulder is, for all intents and purposes, done for 2003, both regular and post-season. But what does this injury mean to Mulder's future? Hip injuries are notoriously slow to heal due to poor blood flow in the area, but I haven't heard anyone trotting out the Bo Jackson comparisons yet, and hopefully they won't. With proper healing on a normal timeframe, there's little to indicate that Mulder couldn't return for 2004 fully healthy.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2240

Reds Nd2
01-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I saw that. That's too much.
I like it. The base salary isn't prohibitive and it's a bit less than what I was expecting. I also like the fact that it's incentive laden, but there is the chance that his 2008 contract could get alot more expensive. All bonuses earned in '07 will be added to his 6.5M base in 2008.

Falls City Beer
01-12-2007, 08:20 PM
I like it. The base salary isn't prohibitive and it's a bit less than what I was expecting. I also like the fact that it's incentive laden, but there is the chance that his 2008 contract could get alot more expensive. All bonuses earned in '07 will be added to his 6.5M base in 2008.

I'd rather just pay the guaranteed big bucks to a healthy guy. Mulder's just a so-so starter at this point anyway. If I could get him on the cheap, fine, but as PuffyPig pointed out, the Cards are going to have to pony up if they get innings out of him.