PDA

View Full Version : R'n'R Hall of Fame: Who Isn't In, But Should Be?

registerthis
01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I figured this could use a separate thread than the one on 2007 inductees, since this topic was raised there. If those whose power is greater than mine deem otherwise, feel free to merge.

Which band(s) who meets the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame qualifications do you believe SHOULD be in, but is (are) not? Remember, to qualify, a band or artist must have commercially released their first album 25 years ago (in this case, 1982). I'll get it started with a couple suggestions, you can agree, disagree, or do both and provide some of your own.

The Cure: Though I'm mixed about their music--some I like, some I loathe--their influence on alt/goth music is undeniable. Celebrating 30 years this year as an act that managed to take a seemingly niche musical form and make it palateable to a wide audience.

Depeche Mode: They weren't the only predominantly electronic act to emerge during the 80s by any means, but they are unquestionably the most popular and longest-lasting. 70 million albums sold, an enduringly-popular live show and seemingly countless influences.

Rush: Definitely a polarizing act, both for their musical style and Geddy Lee's voice, they nonetheless are perhaps the most popular prog/arena rock act in history. The very definition of musical virtuosos, they never forgot how to write a tune. They're also behind only the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kiss and Aerosmith for most consecutive Platinum and Gold albums by a rock band.

Roy Tucker
01-10-2007, 11:45 AM
For reference...

http://www.futurerockhall.com/eligibles.php

westofyou
01-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Little Feat - The Lowell George Era

The Replacements - They Rock, therefore they belong

Wilco - This generations Neil Young?

Big Star - A band many tried to emulate

NIN - I used to worry that every band would try and sound like Janes Addiction, they fooled me and tried to sound like NIN.

Dom Heffner
01-10-2007, 12:14 PM
The Cure: Though I'm mixed about their music--some I like, some I loathe--their influence on alt/goth music is undeniable. Celebrating 30 years this year as an act that managed to take a seemingly niche musical form and make it palateable to a wide audience.

As frustrating a band as there is. They'll wow you with gorgeous pop hooks combined with strange arrangements - I'll bet "Just Like Heaven" is on more top 5 lists than any other song, the hit that never was- and then they'll do something so atrocious you think Robert Smith is a schizophrenic fraud.

I can't listen to "Boys Don't Cry" without thinking of Beat Night at Cooter's(?)
and falling in love over and over with that opening guitar line. "Friday I'm In Love" is the happiest tune ever written, so caught up with itself you want to bounce along with it even in the middle of a cheap department store when it comes over their sound system.

There's a lot of crap there, too, and maybe it's my obsession with melody and structure that makes me think that way, but I would vote them in based on their best work and their undeniable influence on music made 20 years later.

Redsland
01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
The Cure probably belongs, for impact, longevity, and commercial success. REM's induction strengthens their case.

Depeche Mode, OTOH, I see as more of a moderately influential cult band on the fringes of goth and new wave, one of which was a pretty minor subgenre. I'd say they don't belong, but if they get in, then New Order certainly should, since they were both more successful and more prolific in both the new wave genre and as proto-goths (in their previous incarnation as Joy Division).

Rush beongs. No doubt about it. Ditto Yes.

Phil Collins might belong, after reigning as "king of pop" for over a decade, and leading Genesis into their most (commercially) successful period.

Dire Straits and Pat Benatar are borderline cases. One an influential musical force, the other a rare female superstar at the dawn of the MTV age. Iggy Pop, Peter Gabriel, and Cheap Trick probably also deserve a look.

It's only a matter of time before Boston, Heart, and John Cougar Mellencamp get in. (Kill me now.) A recent uptick in radio play probably makes Journey a lock.

Other names to consider include John Fogerty, Alice Cooper, and Jeff Beck.

Among the remaining names from the 50s and 60s, there are a number of giants, like Patsy Cline and Emmylou Harris, and some household names, like The Ventures, who can be expected to garner votes.

Roy Tucker
01-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Very subjective list of Roy faves...

Dick Dale - pioneer of surf rock
Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers - the start of the whole country-rock thang, should be in for Sweetheart of the Rodeo alone.
Jeff Beck - the nastiest tone in guitar rock ever, plus his fusion work
Phil Collins/Genesis - what Redsland said
Yes/ELO/ELP - prog rock, however pompous, needs someone in.
J Geils Band - parties got rocking the hardest when J Geils was on the turntable.
Little Feat - what woy said
The Cars - new wave meets pop meets rock
Dire Straits - I can listen to Knopfler all day.
B-52's - punk meets sci-fi meets goofiness

registerthis
01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Depeche Mode, OTOH, I see as more of a moderately influential cult band on the fringes of goth and new wave, one of which was a pretty minor subgenre. I'd say they don't belong, but if they get in, then New Order certainly should, since they were both more successful and more prolific in both the new wave genre and as proto-goths (in their previous incarnation as Joy Division).

Depeche Mode have been far more popular than New Order, though. You could make the argument that New Order were more influential, but in terms of popularity and longevity, Depeche has got them beat by a significant margin.

westofyou
01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
J Geils Band - parties got rocking the hardest when J Geils was on the turntable.

Here are the first 5 albums I ever bought with my own money.

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/c/05/a9/45/20_7.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1f/Diamond_dogs.jpg/200px-Diamond_dogs.jpg

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000002KHN.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/d/dc/200px-EricClapton_AlbumCover_History_of_EC.jpg

http://www.lapsus-gil.de/pix/quadrophenia_album.jpg

Roy Tucker
01-10-2007, 03:10 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/d/dc/200px-EricClapton_AlbumCover_History_of_EC.jpg

When I got my long hippie hair cut, I got a shag like Claptons. I actually took this album cover to the stylist. Afterwards, my friends said I looked like Jane Fonda.

http://www.lapsus-gil.de/pix/quadrophenia_album.jpg

For a psychology class, I wrote a paper on Quadrophenia. I got a B.

BoydsOfSummer
01-10-2007, 03:14 PM
I'll second Little Feat, RUSH and Alice Cooper. Probably J. Geils also.

Iron Maiden. KISS.

redsmetz
01-10-2007, 03:16 PM
For a psychology class, I wrote a paper on Quadrophenia. I got a B.

I had a friend who taught religion/theology at a Catholic high school who had some classes he did on The Who's album Tommy in his class. It was the 1970's and a number of teachers also did Jesus Christ Superstar.

dman
01-10-2007, 06:14 PM
I voted for Bryan Adams. He was doing somehwhat mainstream, "harder" edge rock before the glam rock craze came out. And then came Robin Hood and his theme song for it, and as far as I'm concerned his music hasn't been nearly as good since.

Ltlabner
01-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Alice Cooper should definately be in if he/they aren't in already. Some of his earlier stuff is amazingly good pop-rock-harder edged glam. Combined with his cutting-edge live show I think he pieced together existing muscial styles with some new twists and spit out some influential work.

The track "Welcome to my Nighmare" by itself should be enough, but thats probably a little over the top.

I'd also throw a vote for Stevie Ray Vaughn out there, but I don't think his first album came out till 1983ish, although IIRC he had a single or two prior to that.

Yachtzee
01-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Little Feat - The Lowell George Era

The Replacements - They Rock, therefore they belong

Wilco - This generations Neil Young?

Big Star - A band many tried to emulate

NIN - I used to worry that every band would try and sound like Janes Addiction, they fooled me and tried to sound like NIN.

No Cheap Trick?

westofyou
01-10-2007, 08:02 PM
No Cheap Trick?

Whoops.. definitely, without a doubt... they get in for sure. Not only did they rock they made fun of it all for decades.

Come On Come On on the Live at Budokan album is 3 minutes of what rock n roll is about.

Ltlabner
01-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Whoops.. definitely, without a doubt... they get in for sure. Not only did they rock they made fun of it all for decades.

Come On Come On on the Live at Budokan album is 3 minutes of what rock n roll is about.

And Surrender might be the bar of excellence, IMO, for a pop-anthematic song.

MrCinatit
01-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Heart - the old rocking Heart, not the ballad Heart.
War
How is Alice not in?
King Crimson.
Ooooo...Bread (kidding - I like them though)
How are the Stooges not in??
Deep Purple
The Motor City Five
Rush
The Cure
A couple of less popular picks that I am on the bubble on are Patsy Cline, Joy Division, T Rex and ABBA.
The future: Sonic Youth, Metallica, Run DMC, chilly willy, Nirvana
Just off the top of my head.

westofyou
01-10-2007, 08:25 PM
And Surrender might be the bar of excellence, IMO, for a pop-anthematic song.

Seriously... I can't think of a more perfect line then this.

When I woke up, Mom and Dad are rolling on the couch
Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my Kiss records out

traderumor
01-10-2007, 08:30 PM

Come On Come On on the Live at Budokan album is 3 minutes of what rock n roll is about.Ah, Live at Budokan. Probably the best live I've every listened to. My cousin turned me into a heavy metal lover in the pre-hair band days, and he saw a lot of live shows, but he always said J. Geils, Cheap Trick, Heart, and John Cougar Mellencamp did some of the best rockin' around live.

No votes for Iron Maiden? :evil: In my pagan days, "Run to the Hills" was one of my favs of all time, especially live (they were openers at about every concert I attended). But the Scorpions were my favorite band.

Ltlabner
01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Foghat for sure. ;)

Ltlabner
01-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Hope this doesn't hijack from the original intent, if so ignore.

Do you folks think Guns N Roses are HOF material when their time comes?

On the one hand, took pop-metal away from hair bands and back towards rocking out. Appetite for Distruction was huge with lots of hits (or at least very popular songs), heavy MTV rotation, true rockers in a sea of big hair and spandex. Sortof like the Sexpistols they didn't have any staying power but they came roaring and left just as quickly.

OTOH: Very short catalog, 4 real albums (and that's being generous by including Lies and counting the Use Your Illusions as two seperate albums - ignore Spagetti Incident and the live stuff). Volitale live shows (saw them twice. The only band to be on both my personal best and worst live shows list) and of course, Axel "My best friend is Danny Boniducie" Rose.

M2
01-10-2007, 08:46 PM
K.I.S.S. - they've got an army for crying out loud.

The Cars - invented new wave

The Cure - Was anybody from the R'n'R HOF alive in the 1980s?

Black Flag - invented modern California

Peter Gabriel - one of the biggest acts on planet earth

Motorhead - unless you're too much of a (expletive) to vote for them

Rush - 10 million stoned kids can't be wrong

Kool & the Gang - We've all been to a party right?

Chubby Checker - So what if he only recorded two songs. Everybody knows them.

Albert Collins - The Master of the Telecaster

Jethro Tull - a band that boasts two greatest hits albums, the undisputed kings of flute rock

ELO - go ahead, listen to ELO and try not to tap your toe, it can't be done

Peter Frampton - The Chubby Checker of the '70s

Robert Palmer - and have the backup Betties accept for him

Iggy Pop/The Stooges - Nothing says "uncool" faster than this omission

Judas Priest - convinced an entire generation of metal artists to dress up like gay bikers

Cheap Trick - Unfathomable that they aren't in

"Weird Al" Yankovic - perhaps the most single brilliant performer of our time

I could go on, but given who isn't in the R'n'R HOF it's probably more of a badge not to be in it.

Ltlabner
01-10-2007, 08:49 PM
K.I.S.S. - they've got an army for crying out loud.

The Cars - invented new wave

The Cure - Was anybody from the R'n'R HOF alive in the 1980s?

Peter Gabriel - one of the biggest acts on planet earth

Motorhead - unless you're too much of a (expletive) to vote for them

Rush - 10 million stoned kids can't be wrong

Kool & the Gang - We've all been to a party right?

Chubby Checker - So what if he only recorded two songs. Everybody knows them.

Jethro Tull - a band that boasts two greatest hits albums, the undisputed kings of flute rock

ELO - go ahead, listen to ELO and try not to tap your toe, it can't be done

Peter Frampton - The Chubby Checker of the '70s

Robert Palmer - and have the backup Betties accept for him

Iggy Pop/The Stooges - Nothing says "uncool" faster than this omission

Judas Priest - convinced an entire generation of metal artists to dress up like gay bikers

Cheap Trick - Unfathomable that they aren't in

"Weird Al" Yankovic - perhaps the most single brilliant performer of our time

I could go on, but given who isn't in the R'n'R HOF it's probably more of a badge not to be in it.

Stunning...bravo! :clap: Well done. You've got some great choices of groups I had overlooked.

Especially like the Chubby Checker/Peter Frampton connection

I can't believe I forgot Motorhead.

KronoRed
01-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Wait..Blondie is in but the Cars are not?

That's criminal.

westofyou
01-10-2007, 08:58 PM

I listened to some Albert yesterday, what a great showman he was.

GAC
01-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Alice Cooper should definately be in if he/they aren't in already. Some of his earlier stuff is amazingly good pop-rock-harder edged glam. Combined with his cutting-edge live show I think he pieced together existing muscial styles with some new twists and spit out some influential work.

The track "Welcome to my Nighmare" by itself should be enough, but thats probably a little over the top.

I'd also throw a vote for Stevie Ray Vaughn out there, but I don't think his first album came out till 1983ish, although IIRC he had a single or two prior to that.

I was listening to a radio show the other night on the 35th Anninversary of Cooper's "Killer" album. It had some great interviews and clips. I was a huge Alice Cooper fan back in the early-mid 70's.

KISS, who are in the HOF, state Alice Cooper was a huge influence on them. And Cooper is not in the HOF, and should be.

Rojo
01-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Three words: Bay, City, Rollers.

Also, Til Tuesday, David Hasselhoff, Blind Mellon, The Fixx, Rick Springfield, Katrina and the Waves.

And I didn't think there were actual Alice Cooper fans. Midwest thing I guess.

Institutionalizing rock 'n roll, tsk. I hope Gang of Four never make it.

Cedric
01-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Cars, Dick Dale, Social Distortion.

M2
01-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Blind Mellon

That band convinced me to leave my ex. She liked them.

01-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Seriously... I can't think of a more perfect line then this.

When I woke up, Mom and Dad are rolling on the couch
Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my Kiss records out

I just saw Tommy Womack last month and he finiished with "Surrender". He called it the greatest r@r song ever written. He then went into some philosophical stuff and lost me, and then hw played it pretty well.

Roy Tucker
01-11-2007, 08:26 AM

I lost some hearing in my right ear at a Black Flag/DOA show.

Being thisfar from a bank of pegged-to-10 Marshall amps all night (and loving every minute of it) will do that to you.

redsmetz
01-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I lost some hearing in my right ear at a Black Flag/DOA show.

Being thisfar from a bank of pegged-to-10 Marshall amps all night (and loving every minute of it) will do that to you.

I told my wife about standing with my ear with a foot of Leon Russell's giant Marshall amps at XU's fieldhouse. She majored in speech therapy in college and did her senior dissertation on threshold hearing loss (I think that's what it's called) and she basically told me I was an idiot. I said, "What?".

Falls City Beer
01-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Minutemen

(And a big "no" to G n' R--love Appetite, but that double album is one fecund turd.)

BoydsOfSummer
01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Minutemen

(And a big "no" to G n' R--love Appetite, but that double album is one fecund turd.)

Totally. One album does not a hall of famer make. Appetite was primo though.They messed around for so long with that double, that by the time it came out, I'd forgotten who they were.

registerthis
01-11-2007, 04:21 PM

Absolutely. Beyond that, their (specifically Axl's) career has been a joke.

GAC
01-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I see where Yoko Ono was/is a candidate at some point. What in the world did this woman ever do, as far as contribution factor, to rock n roll except marry a Beatle?

People how should be in....

BTO
Deep Purple (can't believe they aren't in)
Guess Who
Alvin Lee
Moody Blues
Paul Revere and the Raiders

Ltlabner
01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Is Boston in?

I'm not a fan of them in the least, but I can see where and argument could be made for them.

Cedric
01-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Boston? Why not let Scorpion in next.

registerthis
01-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Is Boston in?

I'm not a fan of them in the least, but I can see where and argument could be made for them.

I think their one-album-every-ten-years plan has affected their electability to some degree.

Redsland
01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Is Boston in?
Not yet.

Same with Kansas, Chicago, Alabama, Berlin, The Ohio Players, Asia, Miami Sound Machine, America, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, and The Bay City Rollers.

I sense a conspiracy...

:ughmamoru

Chip R
01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
I see where Yoko Ono was/is a candidate at some point. What in the world did this woman ever do, as far as contribution factor, to rock n roll except marry a Beatle?

Help make Sir Paul a solo star. :p:

klw
01-12-2007, 12:40 PM
The E Street Band
Springsteen is in but because the only album for which the E Street Band was listed as an artist was Live 75-85 the band is not eligible. All the other albums were only credited to Springsteen as a solo act with the band as musicians playing on the album. They should be in for their live work and recording contributions.

Ltlabner
01-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Not yet.

Same with Kansas, Chicago, Alabama, Berlin, The Ohio Players, Asia, Miami Sound Machine, America, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, and The Bay City Rollers.

I sense a conspiracy...

:ughmamoru

I guess that means Toto is out too?

lo ryder
01-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I really dont see a way Rush can be denied. The greatest 3 man band ever.:beerme:

Chip R
01-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I really dont see a way Rush can be denied. The greatest 3 man band ever.:beerme:

Cream says hi.

BoydsOfSummer
01-14-2007, 10:12 PM
They played the hell outta some Cream tunes on their R-30 tour a couple years ago.

cinredsfan2000
01-15-2007, 09:26 AM

ZZ Top also says hi!;)

GAC
01-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Help make Sir Paul a solo star. :p:

According to Yoko. Paul has never written anything significant or groundbreaking. ;)

vaticanplum
01-15-2007, 01:57 PM
ZZ Top also says hi!;)

Hell, I'll throw Sleater-Kinney in there too. I'm probably in a small minority on that one though :)

westofyou
01-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Hell, I'll throw Sleater-Kinney in there too. I'm probably in a small minority on that one though :)

Sleater-Kinny is a road off of Highway Five near Evergreen College.

3 man Bands?

Primus
Minutemen
fIREHOSE
Johnny Cash and the Tennesee Two

But I'll take Nirvana as my pick.

Falls City Beer
01-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Minutemen and ZZ Top--and it's a long dropoff from there.

vaticanplum
01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Sleater-Kinny is a road off of Highway Five near Evergreen College.

I have seen it. Have a very blurry ooh-look-there's-the-sign-out-the-car-window picture of it somewhere :)

Sleater-Kinney was an absolutely fantastic live band.

Yachtzee
01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
According to Yoko. Paul has never written anything significant or groundbreaking. ;)

According to the rest of the world, Yoko is best kept away from the music studio. Her singing is not unlike a couple of cats tied up in a sack. Her name rhymes with "Joko" and she bears a striking resemblance to Zira from "Planet of the Apes" (I always chuckle at the notion of Yoko calling John "Bright Eyes" as a pet name). Of course she did serve as inspiration for the Bare Naked Ladies song "Be My Yoko Ono" and inspired the character "Moko Jono" in the "Meet the Beat-Alls" episode of "Power Puff Girls."

Roy Tucker
01-15-2007, 02:35 PM

I still want my money back for "Life with the Lions". I thought I was getting something cool and hip. Instead it was a couple of yo-yo's screwing around with feedback and caterwauling.

Sounded like someone was trying to strangle Yoko. Endlessly...

westofyou
01-15-2007, 03:00 PM
I still want my money back for "Life with the Lions". I thought I was getting something cool and hip. Instead it was a couple of yo-yo's screwing around with feedback and caterwauling.

When MP3's first came in vogue I knew a guy who was so glad that he could now shuffle his Lennon CD's sans Yoko's wails that he wanted to cry.

Chip R
01-15-2007, 03:23 PM

Sounds like a plan. :)

registerthis
01-15-2007, 03:59 PM
ZZ Top also says hi!;)

...wake me up when they learn a 4th chord.

M2
01-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Sleater-Kinney was an absolutely fantastic live band.

One of the best.

That band got caught by a tectonic shift in the music industry in the late 90s. They were poised for something big on the heels of "Dig Me Out", but the market for a good, original guitar-driven band disappeared under the crushing weight of a pop treacle avalanche.

Though I figure Carrie Brownstein's got some minor rock stardom in her future.

vaticanplum
01-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Though I figure Carrie Brownstein's got some minor rock stardom in her future.

Carrie Brownstein could make a straight girl change her mind.

GAC
01-15-2007, 05:55 PM

I always equated her sound to a group of heavy construction workers anally attacking a turkey. :mooner:

Two Virgins was another humdinger. Nothing like knobby knees and a pair of sagging breasts on a cover to sell an album. I came to fully understand why the other Beatles were asking and shaking their heads as to why she was in the studio.

I never knew much about the B-52s, but when I heard John say that Yoko gave them their sound I decided they weren't worth the time or money to find out.

registerthis
01-15-2007, 06:18 PM
I never knew much about the B-52s, but when I heard John say that Yoko gave them their sound I decided they weren't worth the time or money to find out.

Yoko Ono = Rock Lobster?

Yeah, ok, whatever.

Betterread
01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
That Brian Eno is not recognized by R'nR HOF is testament to the essentially conservative, not revolutionary slant of this organization. Bowie, the talking heads and U2 have been recognized and all of these acts' best recorded work was done with the significant manipulation by Eno. Maybe his most famous works are the Microsoft "jingles" when you log on or off their software.

Falls City Beer
01-15-2007, 09:58 PM
That Brian Eno is not recognized by R'nR HOF is testament to the essentially conservative, not revolutionary slant of this organization. Bowie, the talking heads and U2 have been recognized and all of these acts' best recorded work was done with the significant manipulation by Eno. Maybe his most famous works are the Microsoft "jingles" when you log on or off their software.

Add Roxy Music to your above list.

Brian Eno's influence is nothing short of monumental--hell, I'd enshrine him for his solo work alone. There are few better pop albums than Here Come the Warm Jets.

Betterread
01-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Add Roxy Music to your above list.

Brian Eno's influence is nothing short of monumental--hell, I'd enshrine him for his solo work alone. There are fewer better pop albums than Here Come the Warm Jets.

That's a great recording, as is Before and after science (in his "pop music" material). I'm also re-enjoying Music for Airports and Music for Land (parts 1 and 4 of his ambient series). Ambient Eno is music to work to, create to, run to, -- live your life to.

GAC
01-16-2007, 09:08 AM
If Air Supply or Little River Band ever make it (or get nominated), then the HOF nominating committee has lost all my respect. ;)

Degenerate39
01-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Guns N Roses

HalMorrisRules
01-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Def Freakin' Leppard!
Motley Crue
Iron Maiden

registerthis
01-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Guns N Roses

One good album does not a hall of famer make.

Degenerate39
01-17-2007, 01:47 PM

They had 3 good albums and they would've had more if they would've stuck together and if Axl wasn't an a-hole.

westofyou
01-17-2007, 03:30 PM

I suggest that they induct their videos from their last double albums (which should have been just one) Those videos are the best example for the horror of excess in the world of video music, and it cemented Axl as the Colonel Kurtz of hair metal.

That said, the GnR show I saw in Columbus is one of my all time top 5 concerts

timmario66
01-17-2007, 03:39 PM
I suggest that they induct their videos from their last double albums (which should have been just one) Those videos are the best example for the horror of excess in the world of video music, and it cemented Axl as the Colonel Kurtz of hair metal.

That said, the GnR show I saw in Columbus is one of my all time top 5 concerts

Were you at the one with Skid Row as the opener at Deer Creek in 1991? I remember Axl taking his sweet time and like at least an hour and a half before they hit the stage.

westofyou
01-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Were you at the one with Skid Row as the opener at Deer Creek in 1991? I remember Axl taking his sweet time and like at least an hour and a half before they hit the stage.

Nope, missed that. The Columbus one was the same setup though.

Ltlabner
01-17-2007, 04:54 PM

I saw Skid Row open for GnR in Lexington, KY just before Use your Illusions were released. A fantastic show. The only downer was that we were hearing a lot of songs for the first time. But overall, a great show.

I also saw Sound Garden open for GnR later in the same tour in Dayton, OH. Horrible show. Sound Garden came on and the gituarist was drunk. He actually peed on the stange. Then GnR was 3 hours late. Rose was in a foul mood and spent most of the time ranting about this and that. They played a really long show but by the time they came on after midnight most of us were so tired/chemically enhanced that we didn't care much about the show.

timmario66
01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
I saw Skid Row open for GnR in Lexington, KY just before Use your Illusions were released. A fantastic show. The only downer was that we were hearing a lot of songs for the first time. But overall, a great show.

I also saw Sound Garden open for GnR later in the same tour in Dayton, OH. Horrible show. Sound Garden came on and the gituarist was drunk. He actually peed on the stange. Then GnR was 3 hours late. Rose was in a foul mood and spent most of the time ranting about this and that. They played a really long show but by the time they came on after midnight most of us were so tired/chemically enhanced that we didn't care much about the show.

The Columbus show was right before Use your Illusion as well. A bunch of new songs no one knew except Live and Let Die made for a long night.

westofyou
01-17-2007, 05:11 PM
The Columbus show was right before Use your Illusion as well. A bunch of new songs no one knew except Live and Let Die made for a long night.

The venue was a race Track, we had Row XX tickets... problem was the rows ended at WW.

Whoops!!

They comped us 10th row center, magic.

registerthis
01-18-2007, 10:15 AM
They comped us 10th row center, magic.

Funny how seats like those just "appear" whenever there's a problem.