PDA

View Full Version : Reds acquire Jeff Keppinger; DFA Olmedo

Tom Servo
01-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Found this under ESPN.com's transactions for today:

Royals: Acquired pitcher Russ Haltiwanger from the Cincinnati Reds for infielder Jeff Keppinger.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

sound official to me:
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070110&content_id=1776680&vkey=pr_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

redsmetz
01-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm guessing roster filler for Louisville. I think we'll see a lot of that in the coming weeks. We cut a lot of guys at year's end.

Patrick Bateman
01-10-2007, 04:03 PM
He's basically the same player as Brendan Harris, so I'm not sure what Krivsky sees in Keppinger that he didn't in Harris.

Still, he's probably not the worst spare infielder around since he can hit a bit and play around the infield fairly effectively.

Always Red
01-10-2007, 04:08 PM
yes, but to make room on the 40 man, they DFA'd Ray Olmedo.

I'm not sure this fellow is any better than Olmedo.

flyer85
01-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Without looking, let me guess. I was wrong.

No Ks, No BBs. His offense is entirely BA driven. He could be a decent backup INF and pinch hitter.

Team Clark
01-10-2007, 04:13 PM
DFA Olmedo. That sucks. Good luck to him. Always enjoyed watching him play.

Patrick Bateman
01-10-2007, 04:14 PM
yes, but to make room on the 40 man, they DFA'd Ray Olmedo.

I'm not sure this fellow is any better than Olmedo.

Olmedo's probably the better fielder, but I don't think he will ever be more than a Juan Castro level hitter in the big leagues.

CrackerJack
01-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Why would they DFA Olmedo at this point? Geesh.

flyer85
01-10-2007, 04:15 PM
DFA Olmedo. That sucks. Good luck to him. Always enjoyed watching him play.Late last season it was quite obvious he didn't care to be on the field as he made a couple of the laziest errors with some ole defense because he didn't move his feet. I thought it was only a matter of time. Now if they could just staple Castro to him.

LoganBuck
01-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Olmedo is out of options. How about Keppinger?

flyer85
01-10-2007, 04:19 PM
BTW, Keppinger played 1b,2b,3b and LF for the Royals last year. He has always shown the ability to hit for a good average(.315 in the minors in 2000ABs). He is the kind of player who can valuable at the end of the bench(hit and play mulitple positions for a few innings).

RedsManRick
01-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Olmedo had a career minor league OPS of .661 and a .573 OPS in the majors in 300+ AB. He was never going to hit in the majors. Keppinger has a little better bat but the Harris comp sounds about right.

lollipopcurve
01-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Olmedo had a career minor league OPS of .661 and a .573 OPS in the majors in 300+ AB. He was never going to hit in the majors. Keppinger has a little better bat but the Harris comp sounds about right.

Looks like less power than Harris, but probably a better glove -- and his OBP numbers in the minors are better. Sorry to see Rey-Rey go, but it's no surprise.

flyer85
01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Olmedo had a career minor league OPS of .661 and a .573 OPS in the majors in 300+ AB. He was never going to hit in the majors. Keppinger has a little better bat but the Harris comp sounds about right.Maybe Keppinger is better suited to playing multiple positions.

RedsManRick
01-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Maybe Keppinger is better suited to playing multiple positions.

Deno and Keppinger. If I was Ryan Freel I'd keep a bag packed. Atlanta still needs a lead off man.

15fan
01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I'll go out on a limb & predict that Keppinger will be a de la Hoz favorite.

IslandRed
01-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm not going to complain here. I didn't really think Olmedo was ever going to be anything (similar to how Bergolla just seemed to fizzle out) and I'd frankly never heard of the pitcher we traded for Keppinger. Just did a quick Baseball Cube, he pitched for the GCL team and Billings in 2005, didn't pitch last year?

My guess is, the Royals were about to DFA Keppinger to clear space on their 40 and didn't much care what they got back.

flyer85
01-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Deno and Keppinger. If I was Ryan Freel I'd keep a bag packed. Atlanta still needs a lead off man.If the Reds deal Freel I really like to try and get Hairston from Snakes, he is out of options and really doesn't have a spot.

lollipopcurve
01-10-2007, 04:35 PM
My guess is, the Royals were about to DFA Keppinger to clear space on their 40 and didn't care what they got back.

I believe they did DFA Keppinger.

redsupport
01-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Keppinger is the sine qua non of a successful franchise. He is analagous the great Neil Fiala and almost approximates the Brobdinagian contributions of Kelly Paris and maybe even German Barranca. He is epic

IslandRed
01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
I believe they did DFA Keppinger.

Well, there you have it.

RedsManRick
01-10-2007, 04:43 PM
If the Reds deal Freel I really like to try and get Hairston from Snakes, he is out of options and really doesn't have a spot.

Ummm. The point I was making is that Freel wouldn't really have a role. Trading Freel just to acquire a different utility guy doesn't make much sense.

flyer85
01-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Ummm. The point I was making is that Freel wouldn't really have a role. Trading Freel just to acquire a different utility guy doesn't make much sense.Let me clarify, I did not mean to trade Freel for Hairston. If they trade Freel for someone else(pitching I would assume) then I wish they would attempt to acquire Hairston from the Snakes.

reds44
01-10-2007, 04:49 PM
These are the moves I like from Krivsky. Keppinger is a guy that could be a solid bench player, and I have never even heard of Russ Haltiwanger. Keppinger is just a flat out better prospect (if you want to call him that) then Olmedo.

It's a solid move.

Would not be surprised if Freel is traded.

RedsManRick
01-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Let me clarify, I did not mean to trade Freel for Hairston. If they trade Freel for someone else(pitching I would assume) then I wish they would attempt to acquire Hairston from the Snakes.

That still doesn't make any sense. You trade Freel because you don't need him. You don't need him because you have a superior OF (Deno) and a more versatile utility IF (Keppinger). Thus, regardless of who you trade Freel for, it makes no sense to acquire Hairston -- you don't have a spot for him. Presumably that's why you traded away Freel in the first place.

RedsManRick
01-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't see a Russ Haltwanger. There is a Kevin, however, who pitched well for the GCL Reds last year as a minor league rookie.

Reds Fanatic
01-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't see a Russ Haltwanger. There is a Kevin, however, who pitched well for the GCL Reds last year as a minor league rookie.Russ pitched 40 games for Dayton last year. Had an 0-4 record with a 4.15 ERA. I go to Dayton games all the time and I don't remember him at all so I don't think we are losing anything with Haltiwanger.

flyer85
01-10-2007, 05:18 PM
That still doesn't make any sense. You trade Freel because you don't need him. You don't need him because you have a superior OF (Deno) and a more versatile utility IF (Keppinger). Thus, regardless of who you trade Freel for, it makes no sense to acquire Hairston -- you don't have a spot for him. Presumably that's why you traded away Freel in the first place.I expect Hairston would eventually become an everyday player with the Reds(maybe not from the start, but he can hit and hit for power). I really expect that he will blossom as a hitter given the chance(which he won't get in Arizona). The Reds have zero depth and really need a RH power bat, I believe he could fill that role. He is exactly the kind of low cost/high return player that WK went after when he acquired Ross and Phillips.

Matt700wlw
01-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Rotoworld's thoughts:

Once again, we're left baffled by a Wayne Krivsky move. The Reds just had practically the same player on the roster in Brendan Harris before giving him away to the Rays. Both are 26-year-old right-handed hitters. We'd give Harris the clear edge, based mostly on his versatility. Keppinger is just average at second base and has little experience elsewhere. Harris is about as good at second base, is a fine third baseman and can handle short if necessary, though not on a regular basis. On offense, there's hardly any difference at all. If the Reds weren't going to have room for Harris, they shouldn't possess a spot for Keppinger. Also, this costs them a superior defensive infielder in Ray Olmedo. We're not impressed at all with how Krivsky has handled his offense since taking over.

IslandRed
01-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Russ pitched 40 games for Dayton last year. Had an 0-4 record with a 4.15 ERA. I go to Dayton games all the time and I don't remember him at all so I don't think we are losing anything with Haltiwanger.

Actually, looking again on Baseball Cube, there's a Kevin and a Russell and they're the same guy. Missed that the first time. The 2005 stats are under one name, the 2006 stats the other. Anyway, you're right, nothing much to see.

Highlifeman21
01-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Actually, looking again on Baseball Cube, there's a Kevin and a Russell and they're the same guy. Missed that the first time. The 2005 stats are under one name, the 2006 stats the other. Anyway, you're right, nothing much to see.

Did he suck so bad in 2005 he had to use a different name in 2006?

Regardless, I've never been on the Olmedo bandwagon, and I was never on the Bergolla bandwagon. It is a little surprisingly to see us pick up Brendan Harris when we just shipped Brendan Harris to Tampa Bay.

I guess Krivsky likes the way Keppinger would look on the back of a jersey better than Harris?

TRF
01-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Krivsky's trade finger was itching is all. This is a who cares transaction.

And one that wasn't necessary, but removes another of the previous regime(s) players.

And that's really all it is.

Degenerate39
01-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Now all are problems are solved!

Kc61
01-10-2007, 06:38 PM
These are the moves I like from Krivsky. Keppinger is a guy that could be a solid bench player, and I have never even heard of Russ Haltiwanger. Keppinger is just a flat out better prospect (if you want to call him that) then Olmedo.

It's a solid move.

Would not be surprised if Freel is traded.

I don't know what Keppinger has to do with Ryan Freel. Keppinger is a backup infielder. Freel was a starting outfielder last year. I just don't see the connection. FWIW, I think trading Freel would leave a huge gap on this team, with or without Deno. You need some depth -- I would keep them both.

I guess Krivsky likes Keppinger better than Harris or Olmedo. Ok, fine.

Castro, Denorfia, Valentin, and Conine should definitely make the roster along with the starting 8 guys (assuming Freel starts over Deno). That should leave one bench spot (5 man bench, 12 pitchers) for either Moeller, Crosby, Hamilton, Keppinger, Hopper, or someone yet to be acquired.

reds44
01-10-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't know what Keppinger has to do with Ryan Freel. Keppinger is a backup infielder. Freel was a starting outfielder last year. I just don't see the connection.

I guess Krivsky likes Keppinger better than Harris or Olmedo. Ok, fine.

Castro, Denorfia, Valentin, and Conine should definitely make the roster along with the starting 8 guys (assuming Freel starts over Deno). That should leave one bench spot (5 man bench, 12 pitchers) for either Moeller, Crosby, Hamilton, Keppinger, Hopper, or someone yet to be acquired.

Keppinger played 1b,2b,3b and LF for the Royals last year. He's a super utility guy like Freel.

Highlifeman21
01-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Keppinger played 1b,2b,3b and LF for the Royals last year. He's a super utility guy like Freel.

Anyone of us could have played 1B, 2B, 3B and LF for the Royals last year.

Seems like we upgraded a UT/IF bat and downgraded a UT/IF glove, Keppinger for Harris.

Kc61
01-10-2007, 06:48 PM

Keppinger has 176 lifetime at bats. Freel has about 1,500. Keppinger is a pure bench player. Freel is a starter, or "semi-starter." The Reds obviously view Freel as primarily an outfielder. Keppinger is primarily an infielder.

Sorry, I just don't think you can trade Freel with the expectation that Keppinger will fill his role. Just don't see the correlation. Time will tell.

Actually, with a bench of Castro (rh, inf), Deno (rh, of), Conine (of/1B, rh) and Valentin (c, mainly lh), the ideal additional bench player would be a left handed hitter who can play infield positions. With Olmedo gone, don't see anyone like that around.

redsmetz
01-10-2007, 06:52 PM
I don't think Wayne is done. I think there are more pieces to move. Can't say what they'll be, but whoever did the roster count had it down to about one spot. Some folks will have to be moved. As I said earlier, this is no biggie.

Doc. Scott
01-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Harris is allegedly better in the field than Keppinger (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/K/Jeff-Keppinger.shtml) (according to Rotoworld), with Brendan having more experience at 3B and some minor ability to play SS.

Jeff hits for a high average and rarely strikes out, but has little power, no speed, and draws a mediocre but not terrible number of walks.

I too have had my doubts about Olmedo as a major-league hitter. Losing him doesn't bug me the way the loss of Harris did. With Ray's lack of remaining options it was just a matter of time before he left the organization. Perhaps Krivsky can get something for him.

As for Haltiwanger (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/H/Russell-Haltiwanger.shtml), he's your classic hard-throwing, control-struggling minor-leaguer. While he showed durability in a variety of relief roles at Dayton last year, he a) was a year or so older than average for the level, b) was a 29th-round draft pick, and c) spent the vast majority of his time in middle relief.

I don't make it a policy to crack on minor-league players, but he wasn't a significant prospect. Most all of the other minor-league pitchers the Reds traded away over the past year (Zach Ward, Abe Woody, etc.) were better prospects when dealt.

Always Red
01-10-2007, 07:33 PM
I go to Dayton games all the time and I don't remember him at all so I don't think we are losing anything with Haltiwanger.

There you go...that's enough for me!

Matt700wlw Rotoworld's thoughts:

Once again, we're left baffled by a Wayne Krivsky move. The Reds just had practically the same player on the roster in Brendan Harris before giving him away to the Rays. Both are 26-year-old right-handed hitters. We'd give Harris the clear edge, based mostly on his versatility. Keppinger is just average at second base and has little experience elsewhere. Harris is about as good at second base, is a fine third baseman and can handle short if necessary, though not on a regular basis. On offense, there's hardly any difference at all. If the Reds weren't going to have room for Harris, they shouldn't possess a spot for Keppinger. Also, this costs them a superior defensive infielder in Ray Olmedo. We're not impressed at all with how Krivsky has handled his offense since taking over.

Because of the infamous Lopez-Kearns trade, Kriv is the new whipping boy. All of his moves will be considered suspect until he pulls off another Arroyo-Willie Mo type deal.

reds44
01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm sorry, losing Harris and Olmedo won't make me lose any sleep. Rotoworld needs to get their underwear out of a bunch.

kaldaniels
01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Anyone have the picture of Olemedo about 5 feet in the air during the Dunn-Philles brawl...thats my lasting memory of the guy.

edabbs44
01-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Because of the infamous Lopez-Kearns trade, Kriv is the new whipping boy. All of his moves will be considered suspect until he pulls off another Arroyo-Willie Mo type deal.

No...he just has to make a move that pays off.

WK should spend more of his time on deals that actually better the team. Most of his moves seem like 25th man filler moves, when in actuality he has multiple holes in roles that matter. Hey Wayne, who's the 5th starter? Who's closing?

reds44
01-10-2007, 08:06 PM
No...he just has to make a move that pays off.

WK should spend more of his time on deals that actually better the team. Most of his moves seem like 25th man filler moves, when in actuality he has multiple holes in roles that matter. Hey Wayne, who's the 5th starter? Who's closing?
Phillips and Ross moves were those type of deals.

Redus
01-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Olmedo's probably the better fielder, but I don't think he will ever be more than a Juan Castro level hitter in the big leagues.

EXACTLY....thats why Id rather have younger cheaper Ray Ray than old ass overpaid Castro..Thanks Wayne!!:bang:

Ltlabner
01-10-2007, 08:20 PM

I'd argue adding Gonzo to the SS to improve the up the middle defence, something that was sorely lacking last year, for a reasonable contract was also an improvement to the team. And it happened post trade.

edabbs44
01-10-2007, 08:21 PM

Ross pre all star break: 119 ABs, .311/.384/.681
Ross post all star break: 128 ABs, .203/.325/.484

Phillips had a similar dive in the 2nd half, though not as drastic.

Let's see what happens this season before singing the praises of the moves...especially Ross'. IMO, he had a pretty overrated season in 2006. Phillips, even if he drops off in the hitting realm, he can still help with the glove. Ross, on the other hand...

And if Keppinger has any sort of meaningful success for this team in 2007, it will be a miracle.

Gallen5862
01-10-2007, 08:22 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/news/263090.html
Keppinger Hits The Road Again
By Jim Callis
January 10, 2007

The Deal
After designating Jeff Keppinger for assignment eight days earlier, the Royals sent him to the Reds on Wednesday for Class A righthander Russell Haltiwanger.
The Big Leaguers
A fourth-round pick by the Pirates in 2001 after leading Georgia to the College World Series, the 26-year-old Keppinger never has found a niche in his three previous organizations. A career .315 hitter in the minors (including .323 in Triple-A), he doesn't do anything else particularly well. He has little power, draws few walks and isn't much of a runner or a defender. The Mets acquired him in the three-team Kris Benson trade in July 2004, then sent him to the Royals last July in a straight-up deal for Ruben Gotay. Keppinger spent most of the year in Triple-A and September in Kansas City, seeing time at all four infield positions as well as the outfield. In 55 games and 176 at-bats in the majors, he has hit .278/.319/.386 with five homers and 17 RBIs.
The Prospects
Haltiwanger, 22, was a 29th-round pick out of Newberry (S.C.) in 2005. He spent all but one game in 2006 at low Class A Dayton, where he went 0-4, 4.15 in 40 games (five starts). He had a 78-45 K-BB ratio in 82 innings. Haltiwanger has a plus fastball and flashes a promising slider, giving him a chance to become a big league reliever if he can straighten out his command.
Quick Take
It's a minor trade that could help both clubs. Keppinger might be able to stick with the Reds as an offensive-minded utilityman, while Haltiwanger is a worthwhile if unpolished arm to add for a player designated for assignment.

« Trade Central 2007

Willy
01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Guys like these have value.

I not sure if this has been discussed, but could it be that Harris was dealt for Hamilton? Hamilton being the PTBNL if he doesn't make the 25 man, and they get cash if he does.

You need a guy like Harris around, but he may of had to give him up to protect Hamilton, so he went out and found another Harris.

edabbs44
01-10-2007, 08:25 PM
I'd argue adding Gonzo to the SS to improve the up the middle defence, something that was sorely lacking last year, for a reasonable contract was also an improvement to the team. And it happened post trade.

I'd argue that this team is in no position to dole out $14 million for a guy who probably won't be anywhere near Cincinnati when they become a serious contender. That signing was a move that a big market team can do...enough offense at the other positions, good pitching and needing to fill a hole that will be a positive in the field. When rockets are being bounced off the bater's eye, his glove won't mean squat.

Trust me...this board will turn on the guy when he is wielding his sub-.300 OBP in July. I am still in awe that such an OBPcentric board didn't trash this signing more.

Ltlabner
01-10-2007, 08:30 PM
I'd argue that this team is in no position to dole out $14 million for a guy who probably won't be anywhere near Cincinnati when they become a serious contender. That signing was a move that a big market team can do...enough offense at the other positions, good pitching and needing to fill a hole that will be a positive in the field. When rockets are being bounced off the bater's eye, his glove won't mean squat.

Trust me...this board will turn on the guy when he is wielding his sub-.300 OBP in July. I am still in awe that such an OBPcentric board didn't trash this signing more.

How many errors did Lopez have last year? Not a single one of those balls were bouncing off the batters eye. And the screaming about Aurrila and Clayton's range? Why would people care about their range if their weren't some balls heading their way (via the ground, not the batters eye)?

There will be more than enough balls heading his way to make his defense a value to this team. His offence output is certinally weak, no doubt there, but between his defence and the GABP boost, I think he'll carry his weight.

edabbs44
01-10-2007, 08:37 PM
How many errors did Lopez have last year? Not a single one of those balls were bouncing off the batters eye. And the screaming about Aurrila and Clayton's range? Why would people care about their range if their weren't some balls heading their way (via the ground, not the batters eye)?

There will be more than enough balls heading his way to make his defense a value to this team. His offence output is certinally weak, no doubt there, but between his defence and the GABP boost, I think he'll carry his weight.

And if you were the GM and had $14 million to spend over the next 3 years however you wish, would you have signed Alex Gonzalez? Or would you have dumped it into scouting, int players and the draft? Just curious.

Ltlabner
01-10-2007, 09:06 PM
And if you were the GM and had $14 million to spend over the next 3 years however you wish, would you have signed Alex Gonzalez? Or would you have dumped it into scouting, int players and the draft? Just curious.

Let's see...

Spend it on Gonzo and listen to people moan about his OBP/OPS

or

Spend it on scouting, int players and the draft and listen to people moan about how we are "punting" and not serrious about competing.

I'll take what's behind door number three Alex.

BTW - I think the Keppinger move is odd considering Harris but it's minor in the scheeme of things. Olmedo.....good luck but I'm not sheding any tears.

corkedbat
01-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Speaking of the Royals, did they ever name the PTBNL for LaRue?

tomd63
01-10-2007, 11:13 PM

Let's see what happens this season before singing the praises of the moves...especially Ross'. IMO, he had a pretty overrated season in 2006. Phillips, even if he drops off in the hitting realm, he can still help with the glove. Ross, on the other hand...

Well, I think everyone knows that Ross wasn't going to keep putting up a 1.065 OPS like he did in the first half, but I think the .809 OPS he put up isn't too far off of what we could expect from him going forward. I'm expecting him to be around a .780 OPS next season, which I believe would be above average offensively for a catcher.

Phillips on the other hand, slipped from a .795 OPS the first half to a .703 OPS the second half. I wouldn't be surprised if he is around a .730 OPS next season. I really wish they'd have switched him over to SS and spent the money used for Gonzalez elsewhere. Like maybe SP or offense in the OF.

Phillips AB AVG OBP SLG OPS
Pre-All Star 281 .306 .357 .438 .795
Post-All Star 255 .243 .287 .416 .703

reds44
01-10-2007, 11:15 PM

And if Keppinger has any sort of meaningful success for this team in 2007, it will be a miracle.

I'll take .809 OPS from my catcher everyday. Especially, considering it was one of those "25th man" moves.

reds44
01-10-2007, 11:17 PM
I was talking about Phillips and Ross being "25th" man moves. However Gonzalez improved the team. His defense will be fantastic, it will improve everybody elses defense, and GABP will inflate his numbers some.

tomd63
01-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Harris is allegedly better in the field than Keppinger (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/K/Jeff-Keppinger.shtml) (according to Rotoworld), with Brendan having more experience at 3B and some minor ability to play SS.

Jeff hits for a high average and rarely strikes out, but has little power, no speed, and draws a mediocre but not terrible number of walks.

I too have had my doubts about Olmedo as a major-league hitter. Losing him doesn't bug me the way the loss of Harris did. With Ray's lack of remaining options it was just a matter of time before he left the organization. Perhaps Krivsky can get something for him.

I wasn't thrilled when Harris was cut loose to make room for Conine either, but then they deal for Keppinger, who is a fairly similar player, though a bit worse in my estimation. Why not just DFA Olmedo to make room for Conine, and hold on to Harris? That's a puzzling string of transactions that don't really amount to much.

Here's a few quick numbers comparing Keppinger and Harris.

2006 AAA AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS OBP SLG OPS
Keppinger .316 119 450 57 142 19 1 4 43 40 30 0 4 .368 .389 .757
Harris .300 102 367 59 110 28 1 10 60 40 85 5 2 .381 .463 .844

07 Zips Projs. P Age AVG OBP SLG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS
Jeff Keppinger 2b 27 .286 .338 .360 115 419 48 120 17 1 4 35 33 27 3 3
Brendan Harris 3b 26 .258 .318 .431 127 418 64 108 25 1 15 61 32 79 3 2

If I got to choose, I'd take Harris and his better walk rate and power over Keppinger.

bucksfan2
01-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Isn't this just a minor deal? They lose a pitcher that no one has really heard of. They lose a weak hitting middle IF who has bounced back and forth between AAA and the majors over the past 5 years. Olmado really didn't have a place on this team with the signings of Gonzales and having Castro on the roster. Keppinger just seens like a guy who may be the 25th man on the roster who is a pinch hitter sent up to make contact.

Heath
01-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Rotoworld's thoughts:

Rotoworld lost all objectivity with me when they said the Cubs stole Josh Hamilton and wrote all praise and glory to Chicago - and when the Reds traded for Hamilton, Rotoworld does a complete 180 degree turn. Someone on rotoworld.com got the "red rear" from someone in Cincinnati.

Here's the C.Trent Rosecrans' Post article. Looks like AAA fodder/ utility player type.

Infielder Keppinger adds clout for Reds
By C. Trent Rosecrans
Post staff reporter

Wherever Jeff Keppinger has gone, he's hit.

A career .315 hitter in the minors, Keppinger's hit better than .300 at every stop since hitting .276 in his first season in professional baseball. Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky thinks Keppinger, a .278 hitter in 176 major league at-bats, can hit at the major league level, trading a minor league pitcher to the Kansas City Royals to acquire the 26-year-old second baseman on Wednesday.

"To hit at the major league level is the hardest thing to do, but if a guy has hit at the every level, he's got a chance," Krivsky said.

To make room for Keppinger on the Reds' 40-man roster, the team designated Ray Olmedo for assignment.

"This might be good for Ray, too," Krivsky said. "He's out of options. We've got 10 days, a lot of things can happen. I'm sure I'll get some calls and I'll be making calls. We'll see if I can get something in return to help our team."

Olmedo played in 171 games in four seasons with the Reds, hitting .230. He hit .271 with Cincinnati last season in 30 games, playing mostly second base, shortstop and third base. He also made one appearance in right field last season, but it was the only outfield appearance of his career.

In 22 games with the Royals last season, Keppinger played at second base, third base, first base, left field and as a designated hitter. He played exclusively at second base with the Mets in 2004. Keppinger was a shortstop in college at Georgia.

"When I spoke to him today, he knew the more positions he's able to play, the more valuable he'll be," Krivsky said.

One thing Keppinger has consistently done is put the bat on the ball. After striking out 33 times in his first season in the minors, he hasn't struck out more than 30 times in a minor league season. As a minor leaguer, he has 125 strikeouts and 163 walks. He also has 21 minor league home runs, but five in the majors.

"He's an aggressive player and puts the ball in play," Krivsky said. "His walks and strikeout numbers are similar to Norris Hopper. He's very capable defensively."

The Royals received right-hander Russ Haltiwanger, 22. He spent last season at Dayton, where he was 0-4 with a save and had a 4.15 ERA.

TRF
01-11-2007, 09:29 AM
I was talking about Phillips and Ross being "25th" man moves. However Gonzalez improved the team. His defense will be fantastic, it will improve everybody elses defense, and GABP will inflate his numbers some.

If you really think ANYONE believes Ross and Philips were 25th man moves, you are mistaken. As soon as Philips became a Red, ALL of Redszone was clamoring for the release of WOMACK! He was cheap, and once one of baseball's top prospects.

Getting Keppinger isn't even a 25th man move. It's Cody Ross redux. A move for the sake of making a move. It in NO WAY improves this club, as Krivsky basically jettisoned the same guy twice to make room for him (Harris and Olmedo).

Ross was insurance for LaRue. He responded by playing way over his head and winning the job outright. That really doesn't happen too often.

The problem with having an Alex Gonzales is the Reds also have Jerry Narron. We will see AGon bat second at some time this year. Count on it.

edabbs44
01-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Isn't this just a minor deal? They lose a pitcher that no one has really heard of. They lose a weak hitting middle IF who has bounced back and forth between AAA and the majors over the past 5 years. Olmado really didn't have a place on this team with the signings of Gonzales and having Castro on the roster. Keppinger just seens like a guy who may be the 25th man on the roster who is a pinch hitter sent up to make contact.

Yes, it is a minor deal. Maybe WK's 50th since he joined the organization.

My only issue, since this probably won't affect either team's position in the standings, is that he is making so many of these deals. Deals that do not matter. Maybe he should spend some of his time trying to acquire someone who might improve the team materially.

camisadelgolf
01-11-2007, 01:37 PM
I love the trade. It'd be nice to have him pinch-hit when they need to move a runner over (and I can't remember the last time I saw a Red successfully get a sacrifice to move a runner from second to third).

redsupport
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
It was a Rafael Landestoy bunt that was the key play

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-11-2007, 02:25 PM
If I remember right the Royals still owe us a PTBNL for Larue, if so what does it say that we made this trade, is there something in the works. If he was to be DFA'd and we wanted him that sounds like a good PTBNL fit to me, so why a trade?

TRF
01-11-2007, 03:33 PM
If I remember right the Royals still owe us a PTBNL for Larue, if so what does it say that we made this trade, is there something in the works. If he was to be DFA'd and we wanted him that sounds like a good PTBNL fit to me, so why a trade?

Stop using logic. Actually that was a really good question.

redsmetz
01-11-2007, 04:13 PM

I would like to think that we're getting someone a tier up from Keppinger in exchange for Jason LaRue, particularly since we ate some of his salary. I'd expect some better prospect. I'm not saying a top tiered, but not a journeyman utility player.

I'm not sure what the hold-up is, maybe some decent prospect who can't be traded yet?

DoogMinAmo
01-11-2007, 06:04 PM
I would like to think that we're getting someone a tier up from Keppinger in exchange for Jason LaRue, particularly since we ate some of his salary. I'd expect some better prospect. I'm not saying a top tiered, but not a journeyman utility player.

I'm not sure what the hold-up is, maybe some decent prospect who can't be traded yet?

I am also hoping for something of higher quality than Ray Ray from the Devil Rays. If so the series of trades work out as follows:

Keppinger = Harris (Although Wayne might be higher on him than Harris to follow through with this deal)
Tampa PTBNL => Ray Ray

It would seem to be a talent-neutral swap, with possiblity for a gain on the Reds' part. No biggie.

I must admit though, I am curous what they are getting for Larue.

reds44
01-11-2007, 06:46 PM
If you really think ANYONE believes Ross and Philips were 25th man moves, you are mistaken. As soon as Philips became a Red, ALL of Redszone was clamoring for the release of WOMACK! He was cheap, and once one of baseball's top prospects.

Getting Keppinger isn't even a 25th man move. It's Cody Ross redux. A move for the sake of making a move. It in NO WAY improves this club, as Krivsky basically jettisoned the same guy twice to make room for him (Harris and Olmedo).

Ross was insurance for LaRue. He responded by playing way over his head and winning the job outright. That really doesn't happen too often.

The problem with having an Alex Gonzales is the Reds also have Jerry Narron. We will see AGon bat second at some time this year. Count on it.
Phillips was DFA'd. That's a 25th man move.

edabbs44
01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Phillips was DFA'd. That's a 25th man move.

The term "25th man move" would have more to do with the acquiring team than the player involved.

TRF
01-12-2007, 02:50 PM
The term "25th man move" would have more to do with the acquiring team than the player involved.

yep. And when your second base options start with TONY WOMACK, Phillips was certainly not a 25th man move. David Ross was closer to that than Phillips. IMO this was Wayne K's best move. Also his luckiest. WMP for Arroyo was talent for talent. It was also two guys coming off a year worse than the previous one.

But somebody in the Reds org. saw Phillips as a possible starter at a position the Reds had no young depth at. No heir apparent in the minors. Hell, there still isn't one. Ross may never have another year like 2006, but Phillips projects to get a little better. Defensively he's outstanding right now.

Now, Cody Ross was a 25th man move made for no apparent reason.