PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Franklin signs with the Cardinals

Tom Servo
01-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Yup, everyone's favorite pitcher has gone to the Redbirds with 1 year, $1 million deal.

That faint sound you hear outside? That's Jerry Narron weeping.

redsmetz
01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Yup, everyone's favorite pitcher has gone to the Redbirds with 1 year, $1 million deal.

That faint sound you hear outside? That's Jerry Narron weeping.

And yet, if we had signed him at all, let alone to such a deal, there would be howling throughout the halls of Redszone. I'm not crying over this one. The Cardinals can have him - see if Dave Duncan can work some magic.

reds44
01-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Sweet! We get to hit against him this year.

justincredible
01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Hopefully the Reds will be able to shell him like the Cards did last year.

MikeS21
01-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Hopefully the Reds will be able to shell him like the Cards did last year.
Nah ... he'll come in and pitch lights out for the Cards, win the Cy Young, and then we'll have thread after thread around here of the incompetence of the Reds for not gazing in the crystal ball to see his talent. ;)

paintmered
01-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Nah ... he'll come in and pitch lights out for the Cards, win the Cy Young, and then we'll have thread after thread around here of the incompetence of the Reds for not gazing in the crystal ball to see his talent. ;)

You kid, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Falls City Beer
01-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Stugatz!

redsupport
01-11-2007, 12:46 AM
here comes another Josh Hancock

Jpup
01-11-2007, 01:04 AM
that Jocketty is a genius. :help:

01-11-2007, 01:26 AM
I wonder if any Cardinal fans think Franklin signed for less than market value just for the privilige of playing in St Louis.

Ltlabner
01-11-2007, 06:54 AM

And the Reds will be pilloried for bringing him to town, while later on the Cards will be deamed "clever" and "brilliant" for doing the exact same thing.

TStuck
01-11-2007, 10:30 AM
So much for all those who were screaming last season about how Wayne was acquiring all of these trash pitchers that nobody else wanted. Let's see....
Franklin gets 1 million from the Cards:help:
Schoenweis about to get 10+ million from the Mets:eek:
Even Yan and J. Johnson are getting paid to pitch in Japan:rolleyes:
Michalak going to camp with the Nats:D

Still waiting to see someone toss some money at Joe Mays though....:laugh:

flyer85
01-11-2007, 10:34 AM
I wonder if the Reds will owe the Cardinals compensation? ;)

jojo
01-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm all for this move as the NL central division needs more arms like Franklin.....

Duncan may be a genius but there is no way he makes Franklin a quality starter.....

TStuck
01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
I think I read somewhere that the compensation for a "Z" level free agent was a pizza party at Chuck E. Cheese's for the front office staff and a year's supply of Pabst Blue Ribbon for the team! :laugh:

RANDY IN INDY
01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I think I read somewhere that the compensation for a "Z" level free agent was a pizza party at Chuck E. Cheese's for the front office staff and a year's supply of Pabst Blue Ribbon for the team! :laugh:

...........and a two year supply of Charmin.;)

PuffyPig
01-11-2007, 12:49 PM
here comes another Josh Hancock

Hancock was OK last year, an ERA in the low 4's, with a DIPS ERA closer to 4.5. Franklin could easy duplicate that, as his ERA was about 4.5 for the full season.

There's worse pitchers out there than Franklin. But none would cost close to $1M.

Jpup
01-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Hancock was OK last year, an ERA in the low 4's, with a DIPS ERA closer to 4.5. Franklin could easy duplicate that, as his ERA was about 4.5 for the full season.

There's worse pitchers out there than Franklin. But none would cost close to $1M.

anyone that can throw a baseball near homeplate with some service time is going to get 1 million. That's chump change.

dfs
01-11-2007, 02:06 PM
anyone that can throw a baseball near homeplate with some service time is going to get 1 million. That's chump change.

Yeah. I agree. If Ryan Franklin, Juan Castro and Chris Reitsma can negotioate a 7 figure contract, than my guess is that it's the new practical major league minimum. The only players making less than that will be ones with fewer than 3 years service time hoping to hob onto the gravy train.

Degenerate39
01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I never liked Franklin.

Who did the Reds trade for him? I don't remember.

dfs
01-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I never liked Franklin.

Who did the Reds trade for him? I don't remember.

a 23 year old relief pitcher that was holding his own in high A ball.

It's very hard to reconcile the Ryan Franklin that we saw last summer in cincy with the Ryan Franklin of the statistical record. Does anybody believe that's the same pitcher that tore through the AL in 03? I know pitchers are volitile and everything, but it would not shock me if the Cardinals stick him in the three slot of their rotation and he does wonders there.

redsmetz
01-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by MikeS21
Nah ... he'll come in and pitch lights out for the Cards, win the Cy Young, and then we'll have thread after thread around here of the incompetence of the Reds for not gazing in the crystal ball to see his talent.

Paintmered wrote:

You kid, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Actually we've never had a pitcher we picked up elsewhere and then subsequently not resign win the Cy Young Award. While numerous CYA winners have pitched for the Reds, only once did a pitcher leave the Reds and then subsequently win the award - Mike Cuellar who pitched for us in 1959 as a 22 year old. He then bounced around our minor league system before being passed around by several other ballclubs and winning the CYA in 1969 with the O's.

Of course, it's highly doubtful Franklin will win the CYA next year, but who knows.

Falls City Beer
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Missing Franklin is like wishing you'd have another heart attack so you could re-earn all the sympathy you got.

He's a crap arm.

jojo
01-11-2007, 09:11 PM
a 23 year old relief pitcher that was holding his own in high A ball.

It's very hard to reconcile the Ryan Franklin that we saw last summer in cincy with the Ryan Franklin of the statistical record. Does anybody believe that's the same pitcher that tore through the AL in 03? I know pitchers are volitile and everything, but it would not shock me if the Cardinals stick him in the three slot of their rotation and he does wonders there.

Ryan Franklin had a good ERA in 2003 but he wasn't a good pitcher. He had extreme flyball tendencies with below average stuff (K/G about 4.5) pitching in an extreme pitcher's environment where flyballs go to die in front of one of the greatest defensive teams ever assembled in mlb history. He's actually been remarkably consistent. Unfortunately, it's just been consistently bad. His greatest trait-the rubber arm- also appears have been anabolic given his failed steroid test.

I'm not sure what St Louis is thinking. Franklin is about as close to a replacement level starter as you can get.

jmac
01-11-2007, 09:47 PM
I just heard a little of kmox baseball talk on way home and they were really talking highly of the franklin signing.
What is the saying about "..........another man's treasure"?

mth123
01-11-2007, 10:11 PM
And the Reds will be pilloried for bringing him to town, while later on the Cards will be deamed "clever" and "brilliant" for doing the exact same thing.

I'll bet Larussa never brings him in the 8th of a close game with his top competition for the division title in August.

Franklin is awful. If he is acquired to pitch mop-up innings to take some heat off the rest of the staff, then ok I guess. The Reds used him like a top set-up guy.

redsupport
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM
1-1- game in the middle of the pennant race and that jerk Franklin comes in and undoes all the good work Lohse did in pitching an almost shutout in the rubber game of a three game series with the cards

Jpup
01-12-2007, 08:01 AM
1-1- game in the middle of the pennant race and that jerk Franklin comes in and undoes all the good work Lohse did in pitching an almost shutout in the rubber game of a three game series with the cards

how about that guy that made the decision to put him in?

dsmith421
01-12-2007, 03:09 PM

Yep, the Reds fans' dislike of this signing had nothing to do with the fact that guy completely sucked. (Oh, and was a repulsive cheating piece of garbage.) St. Louis is welcome to him.

It would, on the other hand, be nice if the Reds had a pitching coach with the reputation of turning around careers like the Cards do.