PDA

View Full Version : Schoeneweis to Mets? 10.8 Million?!?!?

TheBigLebowski
01-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Read on rotoworld.com that he's near a 3 year deal with them for 10.8 mil.

I liked the guy during his short stint with us, but 10.8 mil for Scott Schoeneweis?? 14 1/3 good innings in Cincy is worth 10.8 million from the Mets. I was blessed with many gifts, but I am beginning to wish The Lord made me left-handed.

What the heck does Scott Boras tell these GM's?

Yachtzee
01-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Well, now they won't have to worry about trying to fit his name on the back of the new jerseys with the drop shadow lettering.

Rojo
01-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I'll ask again, is there now a market for Milton?

Hap
01-10-2007, 09:36 PM
How much could Rob Murphy have made if he played today?

Highlifeman21
01-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Read on rotoworld.com that he's near a 3 year deal with them for 10.8 mil.

I liked the guy during his short stint with us, but 10.8 mil for Scott Schoeneweis?? 14 1/3 good innings in Cincy is worth 10.8 million from the Mets. I was blessed with many gifts, but I am beginning to wish The Lord made me left-handed.

What the heck does Scott Boras tell these GM's?

I'm surprised he didn't get closer to 12 M over 3.

I had a number of 4 M per for Schoeneweis. Part of me almost wanted the Reds to pony up that number.

Now I'm eager to see what kind of compensation we get.

Patrick Bateman
01-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Now I'm eager to see what kind of compensation we get.

Supplemental pick as he is a type B.

IslandRed
01-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Sheesh. Hate to say it makes Mike Stanton look like a bargain, but...

reds44
01-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Sheesh. Hate to say it makes Mike Stanton look like a bargain, but...
It does!

harangatang
01-10-2007, 11:57 PM
I'll ask again, is there now a market for Milton?All Krivsky would have to do is tell Minaya that ALL of Milton problems could be solved by pitching in Shea and that his salary is reasonable for the level of performance. It seems pretty simple to me.

KronoRed
01-11-2007, 02:38 AM

If so we should accept any offer that doesn't involve us picking up salary.

MartyFan
01-11-2007, 05:18 AM
I think this does mean that Milton has some trade value...also it does make the Stanton signing look like a good one.

I don't think Special K is PERFECT but I don't think he looks at the market in "current time"...I think he sees where the market is going, understands where the team is and makes his choices based on that finding the highest value for the "future market"...I don't know that I am saying that well enough but regardless, that is just MHO.

mth123
01-11-2007, 06:00 AM
I think this does mean that Milton has some trade value...also it does make the Stanton signing look like a good one.

I don't think Special K is PERFECT but I don't think he looks at the market in "current time"...I think he sees where the market is going, understands where the team is and makes his choices based on that finding the highest value for the "future market"...I don't know that I am saying that well enough but regardless, that is just MHO.

I understand your logic and there is some merit to it, but IMO future market is not really applicable to a 40 year old.

flyer85
01-11-2007, 09:14 AM
I'll ask again, is there now a market for Milton?coming off of arm surgery I would still say no. There may be a market after he shows he is healthy.

Marc D
01-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Dan O was a visionary. The contract he gave Milton was obscene for its day but little did we know he was already thinking ahead to 2007 when he did it. ;)

membengal
01-11-2007, 10:18 AM

If he has anything approaching a competent spring, they should try as hard as they can to find out...

harangatang
01-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Dan O was a visionary. The contract he gave Milton was obscene for its day but little did we know he was already thinking ahead to 2007 when he did it. ;)Two years and 16 days ago our adopted father Dan O'Brien brought forth on this ballclub a new contract, conceived in stupidity, and dedicated to the proposition that all pitching contracts in 2007 would be created equal.

RedsManRick
01-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Stanton, 39:
67.2 IP
3.99 ERA
1.43 WHIP
48 K, 27 BB
.715 OPS vR
.684 OPS vL
2 years, 5 Mil

Schoenweiss, 33:
51.2 IP
4.88 ERA
1.39 WHIP
29 K, 24 BB
.846 OPS vR
.563 OPS vL
3 years, 10.8 Mil

So we got the better, more versatile pitcher for fewer years and dollars. The question is health due to age. If the Mets limit Schoenweiss's exposure to righties, his rate stats will improve quite a bit. But I think this is another example of Wayne not playing everybody else's game in the market - for better or worse.

Will M
01-11-2007, 11:13 AM
I think the Reds should be looking towards 2008.
Anything we do this year is a bonus.
In that regard we want Bailey in the rotation. If not at the start of the season then by mid May.
I think we also want either EZ or Belisle to be in the rotation.

What this means is that Milton or Lohse has to go.
Both are just here for 2007 anyway.
I think both will have more trade value in the spring or during the seaon than they do now.

Always Red
01-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I think the Reds should be looking towards 2008.
Anything we do this year is a bonus.
In that regard we want Bailey in the rotation. If not at the start of the season then by mid May.
I think we also want either EZ or Belisle to be in the rotation.

What this means is that Milton or Lohse has to go.
Both are just here for 2007 anyway.
I think both will have more trade value in the spring or during the seaon than they do now.

EZ, Belisle and Milty all have injuries they're rehabbing from, and none of them is a sure fire bet to be healthy. I think this is why Santos was picked up- to be in AAA in case he's needed later in the season. But he's in line behind Bailey, IMO. If the Reds are tanking early though, I would not bring Bailey up so early, but let him continue to develope at the norma pace.

The prices for players will not be coming down next year; they never do get any cheaper.

Drafting is maybe the most important thing this team will do over the next three years, and looking back, it seemed to be Dan O's strength. Time will tell if it's Krivskey's strength as well.

Kc61
01-11-2007, 12:09 PM
EZ, Belisle and Milty all have injuries they're rehabbing from, and none of them is a sure fire bet to be healthy. I think this is why Santos was picked up- to be in AAA in case he's needed later in the season. But he's in line behind Bailey, IMO. If the Reds are tanking early though, I would not bring Bailey up so early, but let him continue to develope at the norma pace.

The prices for players will not be coming down next year; they never do get any cheaper.

Drafting is maybe the most important thing this team will do over the next three years, and looking back, it seemed to be Dan O's strength. Time will tell if it's Krivskey's strength as well.

Agree with this post. Matt Belisle is a major long shot as a starter, given his injuries, performance, and the fact that he hasn't been an effective starter now for many years (since his early minor league days). EZ has potential, but has a long way to go, even if healthy, to be a consistent pitcher.

Personally, I think folks expect way too much from Bailey. I wouldn't bring him up to Cincy until September, after another year in the minors -- unless he is completely dominating AAA by mid-season. And it is not a given that he will dominate in AAA. At his age, Bailey hasn't faced the kind of professional, veteran hitters that he will in AAA ball.

They guy I had hoped would be ready is Dumatrait, but he didn't do well in Louisville last year.

The plain fact is that looking at 2007 only -- not beyond -- the Reds' starting pitching is in rough shape. You can hope that Arroyo and Harang can repeat 2006, not a given. But beyond that, there is not a single pitcher who fans can expect to provide solid, consistent pitching. The best hope is Lohse, but given his track record even that is unclear.

That's why it is upsetting that the Reds didn't go for one more solid veteran. Now, it is Harang and Arroyo, and pray for bad weather (to paraphrase the old Braves' quote).

RedsManRick
01-11-2007, 12:36 PM
If the goal is 2008, then there's no need to rush Homer. Keep him somewhere that he can do well while still being challenged. If that means Louisville all year, fine. If AAA isn't challenging him, bring him up. There's no need to start his arb clock early given that we have arms who can fill that 5th spot. Do what's best for his development.

With Belisle, Elizardo, Livingston, Santos, etc, we have options. In my mind, the biggest wildcard is Lohse. If Lohse doesn't pan out, Milton goes down, etc. we're gonna start burning through those other options and might not have much of a choice with Homer.

Redsland
01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Now, it is Harang and Arroyo, and pray for bad weather (to paraphrase the old Braves' quote).
Harang and Arroyo and pray for a tornado?