PDA

View Full Version : Bonds blamed failed amphetamines test on teammate

savafan
01-11-2007, 02:50 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9921732

NEW YORK -- Barry Bonds failed a test for amphetamines last season and originally blamed it on a teammate, the Daily News reported Thursday.

When first informed of the positive test, Bonds attributed it to a substance he had taken from teammate Mark Sweeney's locker, the New York City newspaper said, citing several unnamed sources.

"I have no comment on that," Bonds' agent Jeff Borris told the Daily News on Wednesday night.

"Mark was made aware of the fact that his name had been brought up," Sweeney's agent Barry Axelrod told the Daily News. "But he did not give Barry Bonds anything, and there was nothing he could have given Barry Bonds."

Bonds, who always has maintained he never has tested positive for illegal drug use, already is under investigation for lying about steroid use.

A federal grand jury is investigating whether the 42-year-old Bonds perjured himself when he testified in 2003 in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroid distribution case that he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. The San Francisco Giants slugger told a 2003 federal grand jury that he believed his trainer Greg Anderson had provided him flaxseed oil and arthritic balm, not steroids.

Under baseball's amphetamines policy, which went into effect last season, players are not publicly identified for a first positive test. A second positive test for amphetamines results in a 25-game suspension. The first failed steroids test costs a player 50 games.

The Giants still are working to finalize complicated language in the slugger's $16 million, one-year contract for next season -- a process that has lasted almost a month since he agreed to the deal Dec. 7 on the last day of baseball's winter meetings.

The language still being negotiated concerns the left fielder's compliance with team rules, as well as what would happen if he were to be indicted or have other legal troubles.

Borris has declined to comment on the negotiations. He didn't immediately return a message from the AP on Wednesday night.

The 42-year-old Bonds is set to begin his 15th season with the Giants only 22 home runs shy of surpassing Hank Aaron's career record of 755.

Bonds, considered healthy again following offseason surgery on his troublesome left elbow, has spent 14 of his 21 big league seasons with San Francisco and helped the Giants draw 3 million fans in all seven seasons at their waterfront ballpark.

After missing all but 14 games in 2005 following three operations on his right knee, Bonds batted .270 with 26 homers and 77 RBI in 367 at-bats in 2006. He passed Babe Ruth to move into second place on the career home run list May 28.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Ltlabner
01-11-2007, 06:57 AM
When first informed of the positive test, Bonds attributed it to a substance he had taken from teammate Mark Sweeney's locker, the New York City newspaper said, citing several unnamed sources.

Didn't he learn about injesting/injecting unknown substances the first time? :rolleyes:

MrCinatit
01-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Maybe if Barry wasn't so cheap and bought his own unknown substances, he wouldn't keep having this problem.

GAC
01-11-2007, 07:53 AM
So Barry is into "OPs" (other people's). I use to know people like that! :lol:

RedLegSuperStar
01-11-2007, 08:22 AM
The sad thing is he failed last year when all eyes were on him. But typical Bonds, he just gets a slap on the wrist and his name hidden away till the next season. Sorry but his HR total is tainted..

max venable
01-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Everytime something comes out about Bonds it's always the same thing: "Not my fault." "I didn't know it was illegal." "I didn't know what I was taking." ALWAYS. And now he throws a teammate under the bus. I wish Bonds would just go away.

RFS62
01-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Barry is the least likely athlete on earth to take something when
he doesn't know EXACTLY what it is.

RedsBaron
01-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Barry Bonds isn't a standup guy? Barry Bonds??? Next thing you know, Frank Robinson will say Jim Bowden lied to him. Shocking!!!!

Hoosier Red
01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
The sad thing is he failed last year when all eyes were on him. But typical Bonds, he just gets a slap on the wrist and his name hidden away till the next season. Sorry but his HR total is tainted..

Redleg, actually legally they are not allowed to give out results of a failed amphetamine test(Not the same as steroids.) But in a sense you're right, because it is typical Bonds. I don't think the NY Daily News would have searched so hard for the failed test results if it was Jeung Bong.

RANDY IN INDY
01-11-2007, 11:04 AM
he doesn't know EXACTLY what it is.:beerme:

Yachtzee
01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
he doesn't know EXACTLY what it is.

Silly Barry. I wonder what he thought they were. "Hmm, what's that in Sweeney's locker? It's not flaxseed oil. Maybe they're mints. Funny, they don't taste like mints."

Doc. Scott
01-11-2007, 12:38 PM
What a ******bag Bonds is.

corkedbat
01-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Barry Bonds tossing a teammate under the bus? Imagine that. :eek:

What a scumbag.

I imagine if he was accused of passing counterfeit bills he's claim he found them in the wallet in Sweeney's locker too.

redsfan4445
01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Im waiting for the blame of ex-teammate Jeff Kent now!!.. what person would take something they have no idea what it was??? NOBODY i know.. just another frabicated Lie by Bonds.. to bad this didnt come out prior to his re-signing, maybe SF looks away and Bonds is begging aka Sosa for a job??

TOBTTReds
01-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Im waiting for the blame of ex-teammate Jeff Kent now!!.. what person would take something they have no idea what it was??? NOBODY i know.. just another frabicated Lie by Bonds.. to bad this didnt come out prior to his re-signing, maybe SF looks away and Bonds is begging aka Sosa for a job??

He has not officially signed yet. There is a lot of talk about that today. He has only agreed, but not signed. There is a lot of "language" that is still to be determined, like bring his posse around to the clubhouse and so on...

M2
01-11-2007, 04:53 PM
When it was pointed out that he's also failed the test of basic humanity, Bonds attributed it to the personality he took from the locker of teammate U.L. Washington back in 1986.

Matt700wlw
01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Barry puts a lot of things in his body "unknowingly."

CougarQuest
01-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Bonds has reportedly come out now and said that Mark Sweeney has never provided him with amphetamines.

Now that was very sweet of Bonds, wasn't it.

registerthis
01-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Bonds has reportedly come out now and said that Mark Sweeney has never provided him with amphetamines.

Now that was very sweet of Bonds, wasn't it.

Maybe it was the same drug fairy who visited Rafael Palmeiro and injected him unknowingly--and unwillingly--with steroids.

Yeah, that's gotta be it.

westofyou
01-12-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5806&PHPSESSID=c32d021f25efd2201d1eeec108ecd15f

Why would Bonds take these substances? One source suggested that it wasn't performance enhancement, but weight management. Amphetamines and similar substances are often used in weight loss and weight management. The appetite-suppressant effect would have helped Bonds in two ways. First, his knees were under a lot of pressure carrying additional weight. The knee problems were part of a cycle--Bonds couldn’t work out with his normal intensity so he gained weight. When he gained weight, his knees hurt more. Add in that supplements like AMP are specifically designed to help "cut"--take off body fat and water weight--and there’s a twofold effect before we even get to possible performance enhancement.

While much of the coverage of this has been on the level, some of the reporting has been misleading. Most importantly, the Giants were aware of Bonds' positive test. Teams are always conscious of positive tests, since things like additional tests and administrative needs would have to be communicated through the team. Saying that privacy rules would prevent Brian Sabean from knowing about Bonds' test are laughable. While we're on the topic of the additional tests, those are one more interesting data point. Since Bonds was not suspended, there was no second positive test, nor was there a positive test during that point for any other banned substance. Bonds may not have "played naked" during his comeback season in 2006, but he didn't play juiced. That much we now know. Finally, the initial story of Bonds blaming the positive test on Mark Sweeney didn't seem right. Bonds is nothing if not loyal, and needs to look no further than his friend Anderson to see the value of a shut mouth. Add in that Sweeney's locker was not located near Bonds' complex of lockers and the story just doesn't fit the facts.

Things could hardly get worse for Bonds. He's still in severe legal jeopardy, has the same physical challenges he faced last year with his knees, back and elbows, and faces the wrath of the pitchforked PED mob that now finally has a positive test to hang alongside Bonds' effigy. He'll live this year in the shadow of many things, Hank Aaron least of all.

Jpup
01-12-2007, 01:36 PM
There is nothing to indicate, IMO, that Bonds ever said he got amps from Mark Sweeney. It sounds like MLB is just trying to stir the pot even more. The leak came from the office of Bud Selig according to what I heard on the radio this morning.

westofyou
01-12-2007, 06:53 PM
http://griddle.baseballtoaster.com/archives/580239.html

Things Mark Sweeney never gave people
2007-01-11 21:53
by Bob Timmermann

1. Amphetamines to Barry Bonds
2. Flame-retardant roofing shingles to Omar Vizquel.
3. Home made peanut brittle to Steve Kline.
4. A case of canned eels to Noah Lowry.
5. A 20' wide flag of the state of South Dakota to Peter Magowan.
6. Eight sheets of Silpat™ to Shea Hillenbrand.
7. A potato in the shape of Winston Churchill to Mike Stanton.
8. A year's supply of Turtle Wax to Armando Benitez.
9. Seven sets of mismatched socks to Matt Cain.
10. A decorative barometer in the shape of a ukelele to Felipe Alou.

RANDY IN INDY
01-12-2007, 06:57 PM
What a scrooge!

savafan
01-12-2007, 07:39 PM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/baseball/mlb/san_francisco_giants/16444095.htm?source=rss&channel=cctimes_san_francisco_giants

This may be the only market in the country where Barry Bonds still has supporters, but that could be dwindling after the latest news that the Giants star tested positive for amphetamines. Callers to all-sports KNBR 680-AM on Thursday seem to be getting tired of the constant distractions.

Gary Radnich, who hosts the station's 9 a.m.-noon slot, said the tone of callers and e-mails shows that Bonds may have few defenders left.

"In the past, the calls and e-mails would say we are all picking on Bonds, and everyone else does steroids, anyway," Radnich said. "Now you can just tell the way this stuff is going, Bonds' defenders are few and far between. They're not saying he's the worst guy in the world. They're just shrugging their shoulders and saying that they are tired of this."

vaticanplum
01-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Bonds is seriously one of the saddest athletes there is. He makes me so sad.

Reds Nd2
01-13-2007, 02:50 AM
Under baseball's amphetamines policy, which went into effect last season, players are not publicly identified for a first positive test.
Does it not bother anyone else that Bond's name was, in effect, released after a first positive for amphetamines?

While much of the coverage of this has been on the level, some of the reporting has been misleading.
That lesson should have been learned during the Daisuke Matsuzaka negotiations. Apparently it hasn't though. So let the speculation and innuendo begin.

Finally, the initial story of Bonds blaming the positive test on Mark Sweeney didn't seem right. Bonds is nothing if not loyal, and needs to look no further than his friend Anderson to see the value of a shut mouth. Add in that Sweeney's locker was not located near Bonds' complex of lockers and the story just doesn't fit the facts.
Since when has a good story ever let the facts get in the way?

paintmered
01-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Does it not bother anyone else that Bond's name was, in effect, released after a first positive for amphetamines?

It wasn't released, it was leaked. Maybe the end result is the same, but the intentions to get there are completely different.

Reds Nd2
01-13-2007, 10:48 AM
It wasn't released, it was leaked. Maybe the end result is the same, but the intentions to get there are completely different.
Your correct, but I don't recall any other player's name being leaked for a first time positive for amphetamines. For me, this calls into question the entire testing process. I guess this is what we should have expected when MLB turned testing over to WADA.