PDA

View Full Version : Robby unhappy with Nats

Chip R
01-11-2007, 10:14 AM
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070111/SPT0501/701110322/1035

RedsBaron
01-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Jim Bowden lied to Robinson? Jim Bowden lied??? Shocking!!!

Crosley68
01-11-2007, 10:28 AM
I would think having Robbie in OUR organization would be a positive thing. Maybe we should step up.

Johnny Footstool
01-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I would think having Robbie in OUR organization would be a positive thing. Maybe we should step up.

He worked wonders for the Expos/Nats organization.

Crosley68
01-11-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't think a job in the dugout would work for sure, I always had issues with his game management and his inability to motivate some players......but I would think Bob's desire to focus on tradition might make it a positive move to have him in a position somewhere.

Chip R
01-11-2007, 10:43 AM

Quiet, you. Wayne is looking for a right fielder and he's just the right age.

Johnny Footstool
01-11-2007, 11:13 AM

He's a young 71.

westofyou
01-11-2007, 11:16 AM

He did a pretty good job in San Francisco and Baltimore though.

Seriously after it took the Reds so long to recognize his number and retire it, and as long as it took for Robby to accept the apology I wouldn't be surprised to see him invited to the Reds camp someday (this spring?) He was the best player when Cast was in HS and likely was one of his faves.

He's not a bad man to honor within your organization and his 50 years in the game at almost every capacity doesn't exactly scream out incompetent.

lollipopcurve
01-11-2007, 11:19 AM
He did a pretty good job in San Francisco and Baltimore though.

Seriously after it took the Reds so long to recognize his number and retire it, and as long as it took for Robby to accept the apology I wouldn't be surprised to see him invited to the Reds camp someday (this spring?) He was the best player when Cast was in HS and likely was one of his faves.

He's not a bad man to honor within your organization and his 50 years in the game at almost every capacity doesn't exactly scream out incompetent.

He had a nice run in DC in 05, too. I'd love to see him back in the Reds organization in some way.

membengal
01-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Rock. Solid.

RANDY IN INDY
01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Would love to see Frank back in the Reds fold. Probably more likely that he will take a position with MLB.

Roy Tucker
01-11-2007, 12:13 PM
He's a young 71.

They'd just trade him for Milt Pappas again.

MartyFan
01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
I'd love to see him back with the organization in some capacity...not manager but in some sort of talent evaluation or consultant deal.

redsfan4445
01-11-2007, 02:58 PM
i would love to see the Reds offer him a job as a consultant to the GM.. and have him as a backup incase Mr. Baseball guy doesnt get the job done!!

deltachi8
01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I think bringing FR in would be a smart move for the team both baseball and PR wise.

Wheelhouse
01-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I'd LOVE to see Frank get some quality time in with Dunn and Griffey...

registerthis
01-11-2007, 06:19 PM

And what talent he had to work with, as well.

Mainspark
01-12-2007, 12:09 AM
If he comes back in some front office capacity and the hard feelings stemming from his trade are once and for all buried, is there any way we can alter his Hall of Fame plaque, replacing his Orioles cap with that of the Reds?

dougflynn23
01-13-2007, 06:35 PM
:confused: We need him in the organization like we need a hole in the head. He's a bitter old man, and needs to retire. After running our 2004 Olympic qualifying team into the ditch, he should never be a part of talent evaluation or management again.

westofyou
01-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Thomas Boswell weighs in:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/11/AR2007011102091.html

In an organization that will emphasize youth, a high-energy work ethic and instruction in fundamentals, Robinson was seen as a bad fit.

This cracks me up, Bowden is now a torch carrier for fundamentals and Frank Robinson is the man who could bring down his dream.

Bowden also now is tagged early in his GM tenure with an another ugly firing of a Reds hall of fame player.

Dozens of decisions will define the early years of the Nationals in Washington under the Lerner family and team president Stan Kasten. This was definitely one of them. And it's going to leave a bruise -- a big one.

As for Robby?

Apparently a local source says,

"He's not a guy who endears himself," a team source said. "He has a long history of a short shelf life."

Boswell (ever the Oriole fan):

However, Robinson not only is one of baseball's largest figures but also one of its most admirable characters, too. How could he have accomplished all he did, as a player and as the first African American manager, if his backbone had been rubber, if his heart had pounded less strongly or if his brain, once convinced he was right, had waffled? You take, or leave, Frank as a whole.

Baseball in general and the Expos-Nationals in particular, have a debt to Robinson. At a minimum, those like Robinson who kept the Expos competitive on the field added $100 million to baseball's pockets when the team was sold for $450 million. That debt, measured in money or simply in loyalty and forbearance, hasn't been paid. It's simply been torn up and tossed away.

The Nationals' president, on whose desk this buck stops, speaks no ill of Robinson. "I was really torn," Kasten said yesterday. "That's why the decision took so long."

But sometimes actions equal words. Clearly, Kasten has decided he would rather take the public relations heat than live indefinitely with Robinson in the midst of his and Bowden's operation.

When Kasten arrived in town, he spoke like a Robinson fan, time after time. Now, by his winter deeds, he's clearly shown that his summer words no longer apply.

What's next for Robinson now that he and Washington have divorced? Perhaps his former team in Baltimore, a franchise that has specialized in bitter separations and public-relations nightmares for the last decade, can find a dignified, but not too vital consulting position for a savvy, crabby old Oriole. After all, what do they have to lose? Their canvas got slashed long ago.

Hubba
01-18-2007, 12:42 PM
:confused: We need him in the organization like we need a hole in the head. He's a bitter old man, and needs to retire. After running our 2004 Olympic qualifying team into the ditch, he should never be a part of talent evaluation or management again. Why do he hate the Reds so much?

Jpup
01-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I think he should be a bench coach somewhere.