PDA

View Full Version : David Beckham to the MLS!!!

thatcoolguy_22
01-11-2007, 10:34 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/01/11/beckham.mls/index.html

"After discussing several options with my family and my advisors to either stay here in Madrid or join other major British and European teams I have decided to join LA Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year."

Absolutely Brilliant!

westofyou
01-11-2007, 10:36 AM
George Best Version 2.0?

M2
01-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Here's a chance for the U.S. game to prove itself. If Beckham can't keep up here either then we're in a pretty good place.

NJReds
01-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Good for MLS. Now they need to build on this publicity.

RedsManRick
01-11-2007, 10:43 AM
MLS : European soccer leagues

as

Japanese baseball league: MLB

We develop good players, they go over there. Their players age and start losing their skills, they come over here.

Joseph
01-11-2007, 11:42 AM
MLS : European soccer leagues

as

MLB: Japanese baseball league.

We develop good players, they go over there. Their players age and start losing their skills, they come over here.

Did you say that right in relation to baseball? I think our marginal players go over there and excel, while their stars come over here to prove they might be as good as advertised.

Soccer is dead on though.

vaticanplum
01-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Whoa.

NJReds
01-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Report: 5 yrs. - $250M. That's some serious cake.

Yachtzee
01-11-2007, 12:37 PM

If that's true, then that has to be the dumbest contract ever. $50 million a year for Beckham? Sure he has the name recognition, but if the LA Galaxy is awash in that kind of money, wouldn't they have been better served trying to sign top-flight talent on the upside of their careers rather than the downside? If they don't have that money and are banking on the marketability of Beckham bringing in the cash, then they're taking an incredible risk.

Here's another question. If you are a fan of one of the other 3 teams owned by the Anschutz group, are you ticked off at the money they're throwing at Beckham to play in LA? If you're an MLS fan, does this help improve the quality of the league as a whole? Or does it signal the beginning of the end? Will the Columbus Crew be able to compete for top foreign talent, or even top domestic talent, when AEG is throwing that kind of cabbage at a player most people believe is on the downside of his career?

Oxilon
01-11-2007, 01:09 PM

That's beyond absurd. If I'm not mistaken, that makes him easily the highest paid athlete in the United States, correct? Go figure he plays in the least watched sport in the United States.

Betterread
01-11-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm not surprised he's coming to the MLS, but I am surprised at his compensation. Was there a bidding war between the MLS and Real Madrid? I am very curious about the contracting process that resulted in Beckham's move.

NJReds
01-11-2007, 01:11 PM
link (http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=Ao4Ot69Fal2LcRxblVCNivk5nYcB?slug=reu-beckhamdc&prov=reuters&type=lgns)

This might be the biggest contract for any athlete.

Beckham to quit Real and head for L.A.
By Simon Baskett

MADRID (Reuters) - Former England captain David Beckham will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and sign a five-year deal for MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy, he told Reuters on Thursday.

"This week Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract for a further two seasons," said Beckham.

"After discussing several options with my family and my advisors to either stay here in Madrid or join other major British and European teams I have decided to join LA Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year.

"I would like to thank supporters and the people of Madrid who have made my family and I so welcome in my time here making this an extremely difficult decision to make.

"I have enjoyed my time here enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me an opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans."

ANOTHER CHALLENGE

In a televised interview provided by LA Galaxy, Beckham added: "Another challenge has come up and it is the right time for us to do it.

"I didn't want to go out there at 34 years old and for people to turn around and say he's only going there to get the money. It's not what I'm going out there to do.

"I'm going to hopefully build a club and a team that has a lot of potential. I think that is what excites me."

"Regrets? No. I have never had any regrets throughout my life and career and I never want to.

"I moved to Real Madrid in 2003. I have to say thank you to Florentino Perez for giving me the chance to actually play for this huge team and to play in that white shirt was an honor for four years.

"To play with the players I have played with, to play with Zidane was the biggest honor I have had in my career, to play with the likes of Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos you know, for me, there is no regrets there.

REAL CONFIRMATION

Real Madrid confirmed that Beckham would not renew his contract with the club.

"After a meeting this morning at the Bernabeu between the club and David Beckham's agents both parties decided that David would not extend his present contract with the club which ends on June 30, 2007," Real said on their Web site (www.realmadrid.com).

The 31-year-old, who joined Real from Manchester United in June 2003, is the most famous player to sign up for Major League Soccer since it began in 1996.

He is also the biggest name player to move to club soccer in the U.S. since the likes of Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff played in the long-defunct North American Soccer League (NASL) in the 1970s and early eighties.

HUGE DEAL

His deal is reported to be one of the biggest in global sport with Beckham set to earn more than $250 million over the duration of his contract following the removal of the salary cap in the MLS. Beckham will earn approximately one million dollars a week.

LA Galaxy had made public their interest in Beckham who runs a football academy that shares its home with the team and who has close links to the Anschutz Entertainment Group who own the club.

"David Beckham coming to MLS might be viewed by some as one of the most important moments for soccer in this country and perhaps the history of professional sport," MLS Commissioner Don Garber said in a statement.

"David transcends the sport and is a cultural icon. David is clearly one of the most recognizable athletes in the world. People are going to feel really good about David Beckham spending the rest of his career in the U.S."

The news ends months of speculation about the future of the midfielder whose contract with Real expires at the end of the season.

LOST PLACE

Having been first choice in the Real Madrid starting lineup since he moved to Spain, Beckham lost his place following the arrival of Italian coach Fabio Capello.

He has only started five of Real's 16 league games this season and was known to be frustrated with his lack of opportunities in the first team.

The former Manchester United player said he was now inspired by the challenge of cracking the American soccer market.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own.

But he insisted he would be giving his all for Real Madrid until the end of the season to try and win the major trophy that has eluded him since he joined the club in 2003.

"For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100 percent to my coach, team mates and fans and I believe Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve."

HumnHilghtFreel
01-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Per Yahoo! Sports' front page

Question: Will you watch the MLS now?

11564 votes since Jan 11 2007
Yes 35% 4048 votes
Maybe 17% 1926 votes
No 48% 5590 votes

savafan
01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Sweet, the Beckhams in Hollywood. Can Spiceworld 2 be far behind?

max venable
01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
When I think of Beckham, I think of this quiz:

Are you a metrosexual? (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/quiz?event_id=418)

NJReds
01-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Quote from LA Galaxy's owner Tim Leiweke, president & CEO of AEG (they own the team):

"David Beckham will have a greater impact on soccer in America than any athlete has ever had on a sport globally. David is truly the only individual that can build the bridge between soccer in America and the rest of the world."

...for $250M, you'd better hope so Tim. Because he ain't Pele, and Pele couldn't build that bridge.

WMR
01-11-2007, 04:16 PM
They could have signed probably 5 players all better than David Beckham for that much moola. WOW.

M2
01-11-2007, 04:29 PM
for $250M, you'd better hope so Tim. Because he ain't Pele, and Pele couldn't build that bridge.

Good point.

I also wonder if MLS owners have come to grips to global communications. My guess is that if soccer fandom takes off in this country, MLS stands to be third in the pecking order behind the EPL and Mexican Primera Division.

NJReds
01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Good point.

I also wonder if MLS owners have come to grips to global communications. My guess is that if soccer fandom takes off in this country, MLS stands to be third in the pecking order behind the EPL and Mexican Primera Division.

In my area you could say that EPL, the Spanish League and Serie A all rank ahead of MLS. Add to that Argentina, Brazil and Mexico.

He'll help, no doubt. But at that cost? :help: I think Roberto Baggio is looking for a pair of spikes as we speak.

RedsManRick
01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Did you say that right in relation to baseball? I think our marginal players go over there and excel, while their stars come over here to prove they might be as good as advertised.

Soccer is dead on though.

Whoops -- you're right Joseph. I meant the inverse. I'll correct the original post. If Jeter, ARod, Manny, Bonds, Clemens, and heck, Matsuzaka aren't worth 25 million... I guess Michael Jordan made 33 million for two years, but he's one arguably the most well known and marketable athletes in the history of the world. Beckham is big, but Jordan big? Maybe...

WVRed
01-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Put me in the "no" column.

Wasn't Freddy Adu supposed to be the savior of soccer two to three years ago?

IslandRed
01-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Just my opinion, but this has "MLS marketing expense" written all over it. I don't believe for a second that the Galaxy is footing all the cash for this, or that the other MLS teams would give up their cost certainty so one team could go spend $50 million a year on a famous player. Of course, we don't know how much of that contract is guaranteed cash and how much of it is based on incentives or is just fictional money, e.g. huge NFL roster bonuses that both sides know are never going to be paid.

Cedric
01-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Galaxy as a team isn't anywhere near paying 50 million a year for Beckham.

That's something a little mischaracterized in the press today.

Nugget
01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
In Oz they have disclosed some portions of Becks salary and the base is nowhere near 50 a year. There are set benchmarks which have to be met. Some are performance related on Becks side and others are merchandise and attendance related as well. If those targets are met then its 50.

Supposedly when Becks signed with Real all Real merchandise sold out on that day. Also its interesting that Real has just recently taken over from ManU as the richest soccer club in the world.

Still 50 for a guy who doesn't make the Real run on squad or the English national squad is like signing Bernie Williams to play CF for 20 milliion a year.

Cedric
01-11-2007, 11:05 PM
In Oz they have disclosed some portions of Becks salary and the base is nowhere near 50 a year. There are set benchmarks which have to be met. Some are performance related on Becks side and others are merchandise and attendance related as well. If those targets are met then its 50.

Supposedly when Becks signed with Real all Real merchandise sold out on that day. Also its interesting that Real has just recently taken over from ManU as the richest soccer club in the world.

Still 50 for a guy who doesn't make the Real run on squad or the English national squad is like signing Bernie Williams to play CF for 20 milliion a year.

Only if Bernie is easily regarded as the best player in his league though. The deal works for LA in many ways, IMO. They get the best player in the league and all the icing.

And I do regard Beckham as the best player in the league. He's still extremely valuable on set pieces and his lack of form has been a little over exaggerated.

Jaycint
01-11-2007, 11:14 PM

Coming to theaters - "Spend It Like Beckham"

Red in Chicago
01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
let me be the first to say that he's HOT:p:

thatcoolguy_22
01-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Put me in the "no" column.

Wasn't Freddy Adu supposed to be the savior of soccer two to three years ago?

Freddy Adu could have very easily been the savior of American soccer but he wasn't really given a chance when he still had hype in his corner.

Adu was 14 when he signed with D.C. United. He just didn't have the physical presence to play the game. You are talking about a 14 year old kid playing a man's game weighing in at a 130 lbs at best when the average professional is closer to 170. He couldn't brush off weak tackles and this severely limited his opportunity on the field.

Can't say that I blame the coach IMO.

Also Beckham coming over could possibly be great for our league. We paid him entirely too much money but in Europe he is the equivalent of McGwire in '98 or Griffey in the mid 90's as far as popularity. A lot of this signing is to get European soccer fans interested in our game as well as supply a better product on the field so possibly our own fans will watch the MLS. Myself I refuse to watch the MLS because the soccer is barely a step up from collegiate ball. I have personally played with a handful of players from D.C. United and was not nearly as impressed with their skill compared to mine as I would have been had it been a major league pitcher compared to me.

This signing could very well be the beginning of a steady influx of European players into America. If we get enough "star" caliber players the world will take notice.

IMHO

Yachtzee
01-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Does American Soccer really need a "savior?" I've always been of the impression that it is what it is. As long as they are operating profitably and growing the sport, they're doing well. I was concerned about it when teams like Tampa and Miami were folding, but seeing the MLS expand and do well in new cities is encouraging.

After they reach a certain level, the next step is to increase the quality of play. I think more American fans will be drawn in by compelling play on the field rather than the presence of a big name player or two.

However, I do worry about the league becoming a haves/have nots league. I stopped really following MLS when it appeared that top talent was getting allocated more often to teams like LA and DC while it appears that Columbus has to be a little lucky if it wants to land top talents. I haven't really followed the MLS for a few years, so maybe someone could enlighten me. Do they have anyone worth watching? The days of Brian McBride being long gone, is it true that their top goal scorer had only around 5 goals for the season? That's pitiful.

M2
01-12-2007, 10:37 AM
And I do regard Beckham as the best player in the league. He's still extremely valuable on set pieces and his lack of form has been a little over exaggerated.

I'll hazard a guess that Dwayne De Rosario is a better player.

Actually, having watched a good number of Real games over the past year, I'll be shocked if Beckham's able to stand out on the pitch in MLS. His pace is evaporating, he's not a good linking player and he doesn't defend well or win balls in the midfield. What he's mostly good for these days is free kicks and long service.

westofyou
01-12-2007, 10:40 AM
What he's mostly good for these days is free kicks and long service.

AND he looks good on a marketing poster.

Chip R
01-12-2007, 10:49 AM
This signing could very well be the beginning of a steady influx of European players into America. If we get enough "star" caliber players the world will take notice.

IMHO

I'm guessing if that happens, they are going to have to give these players Beckhamesque contracts. Beckham is being paid as much for his appeal as for his playing skills - perhaps more. He's also in the twilight of his career. They would also be playing in a sub-par league. It'd be like if Brett Farve went to Canada. Now if enough stars came in, then MLS would improve but then they would have to either grow their own stars or import them and pay them obscene amounts of money. I'm no expert on MLS but I doubt they have the money to import the creme de la creme of the soccer players and even if they did, they would have to get into a bidding war with the conglomerates that own the elite European teams.

I think that if they want to make soccer a little more popular here, it's probably a good move. But it's never going to be ingrained in the hearts and minds of Americans like football, basketball and baseball are.

westofyou
01-12-2007, 10:52 AM
But it's never going to be ingrained in the hearts and minds of Americans like football, basketball and baseball are.

Never is a long time. It will never been welcomed from the two minute message boys at the networks though. They love back and forth sports with little meetings and rules interpretations.

Hoosier Red
01-12-2007, 11:23 AM
WestofYou's right. Never is a long time.

Who would have thought in the 50's that basketball would be the success it's been. Hell who would have thought that in the 70's when NBA finals were still shown on tape delay.

In the 40's football was barely recognized outside the college game, and even that was only mildly interesting to the Pacific time zone.

I liked the comparison ESPN.COM had with Gretzky going to the Kings in the late 80's. However if that's the case MLS drastically overpaid.

Chip R
01-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Never is a long time. It will never been welcomed from the two minute message boys at the networks though. They love back and forth sports with little meetings and rules interpretations.

It is a long time. Say, how's hockey doing in that area?

westofyou
01-12-2007, 01:59 PM
It is a long time. Say, how's hockey doing in that area?

Hockey was greedy, it has no business being so deep in the south. Swing in your wheelhouse and you'll do fine. Soccer will grow, sure it may never be as big or as over blown as Football is in the US, but it sure ain't going to go away anytime soon.

Chip R
01-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Hockey was greedy, it has no business being so deep in the south. Swing in your wheelhouse and you'll do fine. Soccer will grow, sure it may never be as big or as over blown as Football is in the US, but it sure ain't going to go away anytime soon.

And that's all I'm saying. I think a lot of soccer people feel that since soccer is the most popular sport in the world that isn't the US, that is should be on at least a par with football and baseball. There may be surges of popularity from time to time and maybe a pro soccer league can thrive in this country but it's never going to be as popular here as the NFL, MLB, NBA or even NASCAR. Doesn't mean it's a bad sport but I just don't think it's going to catch on like a lot of fans hope it will.

westofyou
01-12-2007, 02:37 PM
And that's all I'm saying. I think a lot of soccer people feel that since soccer is the most popular sport in the world that isn't the US, that is should be on at least a par with football and baseball. There may be surges of popularity from time to time and maybe a pro soccer league can thrive in this country but it's never going to be as popular here as the NFL, MLB, NBA or even NASCAR. Doesn't mean it's a bad sport but I just don't think it's going to catch on like a lot of fans hope it will.

What's NASCAR?

registerthis
01-12-2007, 03:00 PM
What's NASCAR?

I'd tell you what *I* think the acronym stands for, but I think it would generate some hate mail for me.

dsmith421
01-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Beckham is not being paid anywhere near $50M by the Galaxy or MLS. As the BBC reported, that sum includes all his promotional endorsements, including an incredibly lucrative Adidas contract and his many tie-ins in the Asian market, where he is ludicriously popular.

Based on conversations with a friend who is well-connected in certain MLS circles, the league is probably paying about $2M of his salary (as per the salary cap exception rules) and AEG, the owners of the Galaxy, something along the lines of $6-8M a year.

I have no idea why the press has taken the total number and run with it, it's frankly disingenuous and stupid and is going to cause global bad press for MLS. Note that no one ever mentions Peyton Manning's promotional earnings, or Alex Rodriguez, or any of the other 'major sport' athletes who make far more off the field than through their club salary. Or, quite frankly, the ridiculous salaries Saudi and Qatari soccer clubs pay completely over-the-hill European stars.

Caseyfan21
01-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Do they have anyone worth watching? The days of Brian McBride being long gone, is it true that their top goal scorer had only around 5 goals for the season? That's pitiful.

McBride might be coming back to Columbus. Columbus has said in recent weeks that he is the player they are targeting with their no salary cap exception. Time will tell if they can convince him to come back.

M2
01-12-2007, 04:21 PM
But it's never going to be ingrained in the hearts and minds of Americans like football, basketball and baseball are.

I was thinking about this a while back and, while I agree that in my lifetime that's probably the case, I think it's important to recognize that some things are peculiar to our era.

For instance, Gen Xers (and Baby Boomers to a lesser extent) were raised in the NFL era. I was born a few weeks before the first Super Bowl, when football was a distant second to baseball, and by the time I came into sports consciousness the NFL had pretty much seized the top dog position. Supposedly, before I was born people did not sit around all Sunday watching football games, especially those that didn't involve the local team. It's not that no one did it or that people weren't interested, just that it wasn't ingrained behavior to the degree that we see today ... or so I've been led to believe.

For me, Sunday football was ritual. It actually took me a few years to stop watching the NFL from 1-7 each Sunday even after my interest in the game waned because it literally hadn't occurred to me that you could do something else. When you think about it, football's quite a phemenon with Gen X. Males in my generation watch it in huge numbers, even those who didn't play it at an organized level. Though we all played a lot, even those who never put on a helmet. I remember as a kid, I wound up playing neighborhood football roughly 200 times a year.

Yet, with the passage of time, we're going to become a less desirable demographic. We also pile on more responsibilities as we get older and Sunday in front of the boob tube becomes a fairly impractical notion. My question is, will following generations share our football mania?

I don't think that's likely. First off, there's a glut of media these days. We're way past the point where football could rule the roost by dint of being the only thing on. You can watch the best in the world play soccer. Basketball, baseball and hockey are now all over the place as well. Like racing, tennis or golf? There's entire channels for those sports. Like extreme sports? It's all over the place.

That last one is where football's in the most trouble, IMO. I don't see a lot of neighborhood football games these days. I do see a ton of kids on bikes and skateboards and roller blades trying to pull off tricks. Anecdotally, football doesn't seem to be as much of a casual sporting activity with kids these days. They don't seem to play it as compulsively as we did when I was young.

So you've got these kids who haven't played a lot of football and who've grown up watching plenty of things other than football. I've got to believe that's going to cost the NFL viewers down the road. In time that will make the sport less prestigious and less wealthy. I don't think it's going broke, but my guess is in a few decades we'll look back on the past four decades as the golden era for the league.

Kids will also be playing a wider variety of sports and that will impact who ultimately goes to the NFL. Variety will cause kids to gravitate towards other sports. The problem football has is it requires a lot of humanity to play it at the organized level. You need at least 22 kids to run a real scrimmage.

Here's a quick example of how quickly a football program can erode. Nantucket High School in Massachusetts spent 30+ years as a powerhouse in its neck of the woods. There weren't a lot of kids on Nantucket Island, but every one of them played football. They also had a legendary coach. Everyone turned out to watch the games and kids grew up dreaming of starting for Coach Capizzo. Nantucket won multiple state titles and the team's stars were made men on the island for life. The entire island built an identity around football.

I came to the island the first year Nantucket High had a soccer team and I got to put together a special section for the big Nantucket-Martha's Vineyard game my first fall. Coach Capizzo had done everything in his power to prevent the high school from having a soccer team, but finally enough kids had come up through youth soccer programs (the product of a lot of yuppies moving their families to the island) that it became unavoidable. As I was interviewing him about the big game and the legacy of football on the island, he told me that in four years it would all be over, that Nantucket wouldn't be a football powerhouse anymore. His reason was simple, there weren't enough kids on the island to field a good football team if some of the better athletes were being siphoned off to soccer. It was going to hurt him at the skill positions. The steady stream of 1,000-yard halfbacks he'd come to enjoy was going to dry up.

He was right. Nantucket hasn't won a championship since 1996. It's still a good little program with a legendary coach, but all it took was 20 kids deciding to play soccer instead to diminish it.

Something similar could happen on a national level. A generation could come along and enough varied interests that suddenly football doesn't get its pick of the alpha males. Who knows, maybe it's already happening and we won't see it at the pro level for another decade.

The NFL really only has one place to go given where it's been. I'm guessing 50 years ago it would have seemed impossible to folks that baseball wouldn't be the top dog sport in the U.S.A. for as long as there is a U.S.A. The world changes.

Yachtzee
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Soccer may well be the #1 sport in this country when Hispanic-Americans become the majority, which isn't a far fetched proposition, based on the last census.

dsmith421
01-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Soccer may well be the #1 sport in this country when Hispanic-Americans become the majority, which isn't a far fetched proposition, based on the last census.

That particular demographic shift also bodes well for a baseball renaissance, at least theoretically.

Chip R
01-12-2007, 05:19 PM
I thought this was kind of amusing. Evidently, Beckham sought the advice of none other than Tom Cruise in deciding to move here. Calls Tom a "wise man".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070112/en_nm/soccer_beckham_conference_dc_1

Yachtzee
01-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I thought this was kind of amusing. Evidently, Beckham sought the advice of none other than Tom Cruise in deciding to move here. Calls Tom a "wise man".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070112/en_nm/soccer_beckham_conference_dc_1

Hmmm, I wonder if that means the new jersey sponsor for the LA Galaxy will be "Dianetics, by L. Ron Hubbard." Will the South Park guys buy the Colorado Rapids and rename them "Minions of Xenu?"

Betterread
01-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I was thinking about this a while back and, while I agree that in my lifetime that's probably the case, I think it's important to recognize that some things are peculiar to our era.

For instance, Gen Xers (and Baby Boomers to a lesser extent) were raised in the NFL era. I was born a few weeks before the first Super Bowl, when football was a distant second to baseball, and by the time I came into sports consciousness the NFL had pretty much seized the top dog position. Supposedly, before I was born people did not sit around all Sunday watching football games, especially those that didn't involve the local team. It's not that no one did it or that people weren't interested, just that it wasn't ingrained behavior to the degree that we see today ... or so I've been led to believe.

For me, Sunday football was ritual. It actually took me a few years to stop watching the NFL from 1-7 each Sunday even after my interest in the game waned because it literally hadn't occurred to me that you could do something else. When you think about it, football's quite a phemenon with Gen X. Males in my generation watch it in huge numbers, even those who didn't play it at an organized level. Though we all played a lot, even those who never put on a helmet. I remember as a kid, I wound up playing neighborhood football roughly 200 times a year.

Yet, with the passage of time, we're going to become a less desirable demographic. We also pile on more responsibilities as we get older and Sunday in front of the boob tube becomes a fairly impractical notion. My question is, will following generations share our football mania?

I don't think that's likely. First off, there's a glut of media these days. We're way past the point where football could rule the roost by dint of being the only thing on. You can watch the best in the world play soccer. Basketball, baseball and hockey are now all over the place as well. Like racing, tennis or golf? There's entire channels for those sports. Like extreme sports? It's all over the place.

I think your observations are relevant. In the fall, I am usually too busy with projects and responsibilities to watch much football on a Sunday afternoon.

Chip R
01-12-2007, 11:49 PM
M2 you make some great points. But I think the bottom line is how many people - especially kids and teens - are going to watch soccer in person and on TV? I've read you guys' posts about English soccer and how exciting it is compared to soccer in other countries. Problem is, this isn't England. You still have a game where you have guys passing the ball back and forth and seemingly nothing happens. Then from outside the penalty box someone gets a shot on goal and it's usually a floater the keeper can corral without a problem. I just don't think kids and adults are going to sit around and watch something with so little action no matter how many stars you import. Especially when, as you said, there are so many other choices.

When I was a kid we didn't have cable TV. I loved sports so when any sporting activity was on I'd watch it. Basketball, football, baseball, of course, hockey, wrestling - both pro and college and, yes, even soccer. I remember when Pele and Beckenbauer and Chinaglia came to the Cosmos and played in Giants Stadium. I have a vague recollection of a soccer game at the Orange Bowl in Miami where they played on the artificial turf of the football field and kept the football markings on it. Kind of weird seeing soccer played on a football field. I also remember watching soccer on public TV from England, I believe. I didn't know who the teams were and I didn't care as long as it was sports, I watched it. But I couldn't go to England and watch it. I didn't know who the players were and it made it tough to develop a rooting interest. I can still remember the announcer's name: Toby Charles, but I couldn't remember any players' names. And the stars from the Cosmos soon retired and after that, TV coverage was about nil, as Mr. Charles would put it. No TV coverage, no league and no soccer to watch for little old me.

The TV coverage is key. Sure, you can stick MLS on the Ocho and draw maybe a little better than the WNBA but advertisers aren't going to shell out big bucks to TV networks if people aren't watching the product. And even if it's July and Beckham and the Galaxy are on ESPN or ABC people are going to watch the Yankees and the Red Sox on Fox. I imagine it's going to keep chugging along. There's enough channels out there to put it on and keep people who really enjoy it watching. But I don't believe it's ever going to be big time no matter who is playing because it's just not the kind of sport that is going to keep the kids riveted in front of their TVs.

Yachtzee
01-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Chip, I think your points are valid, but I also think they represent that old school way of thinking that one has to cater to the suburban TV-watching public in order for a sport to gain traction nationally. People note low ratings for MLS games, but they don't take into account the games being watched on Univision or other Spanish language channels. You have that revenue stream in addition to what you have on ESPN and ABC. If MLS teams are able to start competing in the international tournaments on a regular basis, I think you'll see that interest grow. I will give the MLS credit as well, that adding Beckham does raise its profile internationally. Now the MLS might see more of their games carried outside of the country. It's more than just marketing to soccer moms and their soccer playing kids.

As far as your typical American sports fan, I think they need to work to get more people out to the games. It's hard for someone who has little exposure to soccer to get a feel for the ebb and flow of the game merely from watching it on TV. It's way better as an "in person" sport than it is as a TV sport, at least if you have the right kind of fans. I went to a Chicago Fire game back in 2000 or 2001 and it was really pretty crazy how the supporters section had cheers and songs going for the full 90 minutes of the game. I thought it was pretty awesome even at Soldier Field, which was half-empty at the time. I can only imagine what it would be like in one of those 20,000 seat soccer-only stadiums. It wasn't quite to the level of the Austria Salzburg fans, but it was still pretty intense.

In any case, the MLS just has to keep building a base of strong supporters. Once they get a sufficient level of people who strongly support the sport, the casual fans will come along to find out what all the hubbub is about.

dsmith421
01-13-2007, 03:26 AM
One idea I've always liked is some sort of cross-pollination between the MFL and MLS. There would be no better way to galvanize interest in the American league then by establishing some sort of cup or challenge competition against the Morelias, Pumas, and Americas of the world.

Perhaps an 8-team Mexican-American Cup or the like. And if we could get at least a qualifying chance at Libertadores, that would be colossal as well.

(And yes, I'm aware of the CONCACAF Champions League but it's frankly a sideshow and neither the US or Mexican teams seem to ever field full strength squads)

Dom Heffner
01-13-2007, 03:34 PM
They've been talking about soccer catching on in this country for twenty years.

Yawn.

The NFL has the best product going, I think it would be tough to see football go by the wayside in favor of soccer.

RawOwl UK
01-13-2007, 05:05 PM
The money is insane. We have been laughing about all the hype over here. Great right foot though. It will be strange for him to be able to be the main set peice taker now he hasn't got all the the real superstars to fight with.

Also speaking about Freddy Adu, did you know Man Utd rejected him after a recent trial in Manchester .

WMR
01-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Man U (or the EPL as a whole) is the last place Freddy should be going.

I pray he ends up in the Primera at a mid-level club where he can best develop into the #10 the USA needs so desperately.

There was some talk a while back of Ronaldo playing for the Metrostars. Could see the likelihood of that occurring ratcheting up considerably after the Becks move.

westofyou
01-13-2007, 06:56 PM
They've been talking about soccer catching on in this country for twenty years.

Yawn.

The NFL has the best product going, I think it would be tough to see football go by the wayside in favor of soccer.

Actually it's been 30 years.

This thread alone has over 500 views and 50 replies, it's coming whether you like it or not, because 30 years ago it was a blip on the screen compared to now. Plus no one said Soccer has to only take on the NFL.

I guess you better wake up from that deep :sleep:

;)

Chip R
01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
There was some talk a while back of Ronaldo playing for the Metrostars. Could see the likelihood of that occurring ratcheting up considerably after the Becks move.

And that is a problem. Beckham gets $250M and Ronaldo thinks he's just as good or better than Beckham and he'll want more than that. I'm not privvy to MLS's finances but I don't think they can afford to throw those kind of deals around.

MWM
01-13-2007, 08:13 PM
I thin Beckham will find that people care about 1000 times less here than they did in Europe. We haven't had an US-equivalent athlete as far as exposure goes compared to Beckham. He might find that refreshing, but he might wind up begging to go back to Europe. Either way, I'm glad to see a big name player coming to the MLS while he's still got something left, even if it's not that much.

Chip R
01-13-2007, 08:50 PM
I thin Beckham will find that people care about 1000 times less here than they did in Europe. We haven't had an US-equivalent athlete as far as exposure goes compared to Beckham. He might find that refreshing, but he might wind up begging to go back to Europe. Either way, I'm glad to see a big name player coming to the MLS while he's still got something left, even if it's not that much.

And he might find the distance from the British tabloids a huge relief.

Yachtzee
01-13-2007, 08:51 PM
And he might find the distance from the British tabloids a huge relief.

Now he'll only have the LA tabloids to deal with.

M2
01-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Chip, I figure soccer will steadily get more popular over time. I doubt it's going to have a singular breakout moment. Like I said before, the English and Mexican leagues will probably remain more popular in the U.S. than MLS. I certainly expect soccer will be more popular than hockey at some point. I think it could become as popular as basketball in a few decades.

But I do expect the typical American sports fan is going to change from today's standard model and any change probably won't benefit football.

Chip R
01-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Now he'll only have the LA tabloids to deal with.

Hence the relief. The LA tabloids aren't even in the same league as the British ones. And they are more concerned with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and Tom Cruise and Oprah than Beckham.

Yachtzee
01-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Hence the relief. The LA tabloids aren't even in the same league as the British ones. And they are more concerned with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and Tom Cruise and Oprah than Beckham.

True that. But then again, you never know what will happen if they spot Angelina hanging out at Galaxy games.

Chip R
01-13-2007, 11:51 PM
True that. But then again, you never know what will happen if they spot Angelina hanging out at Galaxy games.

Posh better hope that doesn't happen. Of course if it does, she could always "comfort" Brad.

Yachtzee
01-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Anyone else intrigued by this.

World renowned soccer rivalry gives rise to SuperLiga (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20070113&content_id=81815&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp)

NJReds
01-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Also speaking about Freddy Adu, did you know Man Utd rejected him after a recent trial in Manchester .

Reported here that Adu turned down their offer because he'd rather play in Spain.

Edit: I was wrong. He can't sign overseas until he's 18, apprently. Teams in Italy also interested.

BBC: Adu has to wait on Man Utd future
Teenager Freddy Adu must wait until June to find out if Manchester United will try and sign him, after completing his two-week trial at the club.
The USA midfielder impressed boss Sir Alex Ferguson, but under UK employment law he cannot make an offer until Adu reaches his 18th birthday next year.

"Freddy has done all right," said Ferguson. "He is a talented boy.

"He'll go back to the US and we'll keep a check on him. When he is 18, we will have to assess what we can do next."

Adu, who was given the nod by his MLS club DC United to attend the trial, has been training with United's academy players at their Carrington training ground.

"What we did was to bring him here to give him an idea of what United was like so he could see the place and see how comfortable he was with it," said Ferguson.

"He is a very confident and good, young boy but there is nothing we can do about him."

The Ghanain-born Adu already enjoys a high profile in the US, where he became the youngest player to represent the national side.

The teenager, who is keen to test his mettle outside the US, has also attracted interest from Chelsea and Reading.

NJReds
01-14-2007, 08:31 AM

World renowned soccer rivalry gives rise to SuperLiga (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20070113&content_id=81815&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp)

Good idea and a step in the right direction.

Red Heeler
01-14-2007, 09:24 AM
MADRID, Spain (AP) - David Beckham won't play again for Real Madrid after announcing his departure at the end of the season for the Los Angeles Galaxy of the MLS.

"He is not going to play any more. He will practice, but he is not going to play," coach Fabio Capello said Saturday at a news conference.

Beckham announced this week he will not extend his contract with Real Madrid when it expires in June and is instead leaving for the Galaxy and a five-year deal.

"The player's decision is to go to Los Angeles. He has always been a great professional, but a player who has such a major contract with another team ... we cannot count on him," Capello said. "I think one cannot have the same drive if one is already with another team."

Beckham's spokesman, Simon Oliveira, said the 31-year-old midfielder would "continue to give his full commitment and professionalism to the club."

"David is surprised at the quotes from Fabio Capello, as nobody from the club has informed him of their intentions," Oliveira said.

"As far as David is aware, he has a contract for the remainder of the season and he remains dedicated to the club and its supporters."

Beckham, who joined Madrid from Manchester United in 2003, has said he plans to leave Real Madrid after his contract expires June 30 and to join the Galaxy in August.

"I think one cannot have the same drive if one is already with another team. But I repeat that he is a great professional," Capello said.

"Now he must stay in good physical condition, but we cannot rely on him. I have never had even the smallest problem with Beckham. He has to decide what to do until the end of the season."

The Galaxy did not immediately respond to phone messages early Saturday morning in Los Angeles.

Seems like a petty move by Capello. He may be one of the great coaches in the world, but his team is falling apart, and there have been reports of dissention among the players.

M2
01-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Seems like a petty move by Capello. He may be one of the great coaches in the world, but his team is falling apart, and there have been reports of dissention among the players.

Real looked like a zombie team in its recent losses to Celta and Deportivo. Guti was just about the only Galactico on the field who showed up to play and he went down early in the second game.

WMR
01-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Wonder if there's any way we could sneak Robinho onto Becks' plane? Now THAT'D be an acquisition worth crowing about.

Caveat Emperor
01-14-2007, 06:33 PM

I'm not old enough to remember it, but I'm certain that people found the notion of baseball ever being #2 to any other sport to be something worth chuckling about.

And, as for the best product going -- I like the game of football, but I dislike the NFL's product. The hype-machine is beyond annoying and the "coverage" consists of a bunch of lunkhead ex-jocks with the memories of a goldfish screaming at one another and throwing superlatives out like they're going out of style. It has gotten to the point where I watch the games on Sunday, and then ignore the game for the next 6 days. I know I'm not the only person put off by the 24/7 hysteria.

I'd like something to challenge the NFL and force it to re-evaluate it's business model, because stagnation is bad.

reds1869
01-14-2007, 07:18 PM

North American soccer needs more thinking like this.

MWM
01-14-2007, 08:33 PM
but I dislike the NFL's product. The hype-machine is beyond annoying and the "coverage" consists of a bunch of lunkhead ex-jocks with the memories of a goldfish screaming at one another and throwing superlatives out like they're going out of style. It has gotten to the point where I watch the games on Sunday, and then ignore the game for the next 6 days. I know I'm not the only person put off by the 24/7 hysteria.

that's pretty much how I feel about it. But on top of the coverage, I'm just about to my tipping point on the players in the NFL. It's gotten to the point where almost every single play someone is pounding their chest or completely belittling an opponent, or some other form of showboating. I despise this crap.

And I think the NFL underestimates the impact fantasy football has had on its continued momentum.

dsmith421
01-16-2007, 12:09 PM
One idea I've always liked is some sort of cross-pollination between the MFL and MLS. [...]

Perhaps an 8-team Mexican-American Cup or the like. And if we could get at least a qualifying chance at Libertadores, that would be colossal as well.

I swear to God that I knew nothing about the planned Superliga when I wrote this a week and a half ago.

NJReds
01-16-2007, 12:11 PM
And I think the NFL underestimates the impact fantasy football has had on its continued momentum.

And gambling.

M2
01-16-2007, 01:14 PM
I have to admit, I'm a bit confused on the makeup of the SuperLiga. It should be the four best teams from the previous season. Right now it's a marketing ploy. It should be a play-in tournament where the best of MLS play the best of the Mexican Premier Division and the winner gets some serious bragging rights.

dsmith421
01-16-2007, 02:21 PM
I have to admit, I'm a bit confused on the makeup of the SuperLiga. It should be the four best teams from the previous season. Right now it's a marketing ploy. It should be a play-in tournament where the best of MLS play the best of the Mexican Premier Division and the winner gets some serious bragging rights.

It will be next season, this year it appears the organizers sought to bring in the most recognizable/marketable clubs.

My chief difficulty with this is the fact that all the matches are in the US, which to me torpedoes any real credibility the tournament possesses.

Hoosier Red
01-16-2007, 03:46 PM
But on the flip side it gives the US clubs a better chance of winning. Which cooked up thought it may be will help with recognition.

Given the US National's performance in Azteca, I'd hate to see what the Colorado Rapids would look like down there.

dsmith421
01-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Given the US National's performance in Azteca, I'd hate to see what the Colorado Rapids would look like down there.

Oh, I well remember the Crew getting horsewhipped at Morelia in the CONCACAF Champions League one year, but it still makes the competition a little Mickey Mouse in my view.

M2
01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh, I well remember the Crew getting horsewhipped at Morelia in the CONCACAF Champions League one year, but it still makes the competition a little Mickey Mouse in my view.

Agreed. Should be home and home with the top two from each grouping going on to the knockout round.

Though it's sort of an aimless competiition to me until it involves the top four clubs from each league. I'd care instantly if it were designed that way (and there's no reason it couldn't have been from the outset). As it is, I probably won't pay it any attention.

It's almost like CONCACAF can only have half a good idea.

On a different subject, I've fallen in love with the notion of having a team suffer a -1 point penalty for being shut out in all league games and cup competitions. It would create constant pressure on teams to make sure they score at least one goal, forcing them to open up. It would also make a 0-0 tie a no-points affair for the participants (+1 for the tie, -1 for the shutout).

redsfan1966
01-17-2007, 05:25 PM
I had to post on this....I am not a soccer fan...but the magnitude of this deal is big enough to comment on...this deal will KILL the MLS...as I see it, the MLS fills a niche in the sports landscape in America...sure it doesnt get huge ratings...but most teams draw decent crowds and fills the soccer crave for most fans...I liken this to the Pele deal in the late 70s when the NASL brought him in...it did nothing to keep the league afloat long term. The only way the MLS can survive is to create American born and bred talent. Yikes, I cant believe I typed so much about a sport I really dont give a rats a-s about....

dsmith421
01-17-2007, 06:06 PM
this deal will KILL the MLS.

You frankly have no idea what you're talking about.

MLS (the league) is paying David Beckham $400,000 a year.

The LA Galaxy (owned by multibillionaire P. Anschutz) is paying roughly $8,000,000 a year plus various incentives based upon jersey sales and attendance.

MLS since the beginning has employed a prudent, conservative expansion model. The league averages well over 15,000 fans a match, far outstripping the NASL even given the Cosmos' notoriety.

This deal will neither kill MLS or turn it into the NFL. It's a reasonable, well-thought-out gamble that, even if it flops, is still likely to create long-term benefits for the league and the development of professional soccer in America.

WMR
01-17-2007, 09:01 PM
You frankly have no idea what you're talking about.

MLS (the league) is paying David Beckham $400,000 a year.

The LA Galaxy (owned by multibillionaire P. Anschutz) is paying roughly $8,000,000 a year plus various incentives based upon jersey sales and attendance.

MLS since the beginning has employed a prudent, conservative expansion model. The league averages well over 15,000 fans a match, far outstripping the NASL even given the Cosmos' notoriety.

This deal will neither kill MLS or turn it into the NFL. It's a reasonable, well-thought-out gamble that, even if it flops, is still likely to create long-term benefits for the league and the development of professional soccer in America.

Thank you DSmith for correcting that incorrect, shoot-from-the-hip, post.

NJReds
02-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Not quite what was originally announced, but not bad.

Beckham's playing contract worth about $27.5 million over 5 seasons

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
February 24, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- David Beckham's playing contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy is worth about $27.5 million in base salary over five seasons, according to a person familiar with Major League Soccer agreements.

It's a fraction of the $250 million income figure floated for the English star when he agreed to the deal last month.

Beckham's average base salary of about $5.5 million was disclosed Friday by a person who had been briefed on the deal and who spoke on condition of anonymity because those details had not been announced.

Simon Oliveira, Beckham's spokesman, would not confirm the figure but didn't dispute it.

"That is only one element to his salary and package, which had to be disclosed in accordance with MLS guidelines," Oliveira said.

AEG, the company that runs the Galaxy, trumpeted a far higher figure when Beckham's agreement was announced last month.

"The deal to bring Beckham to America is thought to be the biggest in sporting history, with industry experts estimating the worth to the player in excess of $250 million," AEG's news release said.

Beckham's contract, according to several people familiar with the details, is a complex and probably unique arrangement that gives the 31-year-old midfielder a percentage of club sponsorship, merchandizing and uniform sales contracts. Promotional arrangements also are included.

Several weeks after the announcement, Los Angeles said it had sold more than 5,000 additional season tickets. The team plans to redesign its uniform and is examining sponsorship offers for advertising on the jerseys.

"I think it's important to look at this business arrangement in terms of how it benefits the Galaxy and David Beckham in the long-term," Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas said. "David Beckham has a vested interest in this relationship working and in this team being successful. His salary is but a small component."

Beckham easily will be MLS' highest-paid player. According to figures published by The Washington Post last April, Chivas USA's Juan Francisco Palencia was tops last season at $1.36 million -- a $692,308 salary and about $668,000 in bonuses. The Galaxy's Landon Donovan was second at $900,000, followed by Kansas City's Eddie Johnson at $875,000, the Post reported.

Beckham's current contract with Real Madrid ends June 30, and the Galaxy expects he will join the team in August.

Beckham has regained his starting position with Real Madrid, and Lalas traveled to Spain and watched him play Feb. 17 in a 0-0 tie against Real Betis. Beckham's recent play has improved his chances of rejoining England's national team for next month's European Championship qualifiers against Israel and Andorra.

Beckham stepped down as the national team's captain after England was eliminated in last summer's World Cup quarterfinals, and coach Steve McClaren dropped him from the roster.

"When you sit with David, it becomes very apparent that the time that he spent representing his country is something he holds pretty dear," Lalas said. "From our perspective, if this were to happen, it would be wonderful as far as we're concerned. There's obviously some business and logistical challenges that we may face, but the fact is to have a player who's playing for England is a wonderful statement on who that player is. I hope it happens for him, and I hope it happens for England."

When Lalas saw Beckham play in Spain -- his 150th appearance for Real Madrid -- Beckham was ejected in second-half injury time.

"So I officially fined him," Lalas joked.

Red Heeler
02-25-2007, 07:48 AM
During a recent US national team game, one of the announcers asked, "Who's going to be taking free kicks for the Galaxy next year, Landon Donovan or David Beckham?"

What a homer. Nobody on the US team is close to Beckham's class as a set piece guy. It is a real weakness for the squad.

StillFunkyB
02-25-2007, 08:55 AM
During a recent US national team game, one of the announcers asked, "Who's going to be taking free kicks for the Galaxy next year, Landon Donovan or David Beckham?"

What a homer. Nobody on the US team is close to Beckham's class as a set piece guy. It is a real weakness for the squad.

He has obviously never seen David Beckham take a free kick.

I am starting to like soccer more and more.

IMHO, the rest of the world is not going to take American soccer seriously until this country can prove they are on par with the rest of the world by winning a World Cup.

What I don't understand is it seems like a ton of kids play soccer growing up, and it's become a pretty popular sport for young kids hence the "soccer mom" label, etc. Maybe that isn't the case anymore, but I can remember more kids playing soccer than little league when I was that age. So where is the talent in the US? Why aren't these kids growing up and becoming great athletes in the sport of soccer? My thought was by now we would be seeing some pretty good athletes on the national team, and going much farther in the World Cup than we are now.

WMR
02-25-2007, 09:01 AM

He was being facetious.

WMR
02-25-2007, 09:02 AM

IMHO, the rest of the world is not going to take American soccer seriously until this country can prove they are on par with the rest of the world by winning a World Cup.

What I don't understand is it seems like a ton of kids play soccer growing up, and it's become a pretty popular sport for young kids hence the "soccer mom" label, etc. Maybe that isn't the case anymore, but I can remember more kids playing soccer than little league when I was that age. So where is the talent in the US? Why aren't these kids growing up and becoming great athletes in the sport of soccer? My thought was by now we would be seeing some pretty good athletes on the national team, and going much farther in the World Cup than we are now.

There's more young American talent in Europe than at any other point in history.

There's actually a BUNCH of young Americans playing abroad right NOW. You just haven't heard of them. But they're coming.

Hoosier Red
02-25-2007, 11:32 AM

That's a pretty high standard to set. Outside of Germany, Italy, and Brazil. It's a pretty big upset if anyone wins a world cup.

I think my friend pointed out that if you've won a world war, you're probably not going to win the world cup.(France doesn't count in his mind.)

Betterread
02-25-2007, 11:44 AM
That's a pretty high standard to set. Outside of Germany, Italy, and Brazil. It's a pretty big upset if anyone wins a world cup.

I think my friend pointed out that if you've won a world war, you're probably not going to win the world cup.(France doesn't count in his mind.)

Don't forget England in 1966. It is a very high standard, but the US needs to measure its progress somehow. Other than the possibility of being invited in the future to compete in (and hopefully eventually win) the Copa Libertadores, US soccer is currently involved in no other world class competitions so winning the WC is the only measure.

M2
02-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Don't forget England in 1966. It is a very high standard, but the US needs to measure its progress somehow. Other than the possibility of being invited in the future to compete in (and hopefully eventually win) the Copa Libertadores, US soccer is currently involved in no other world class competitions so winning the WC is the only measure.

I think you mean Copa America, Liberatadores is a club competition. Unfortunately the U.S. will be playing a B squad in Copa America. The national side's new coach, Bob Bradley, has made the CONCACAF Gold Cup his priority, which indicates to me the team is still afflicted with big-fish-small-pond syndrome and that Bradley lacks the vision to bring the national program forward.

It's also possible the U.S. took offense at the brackets for Copa America. The host nation, Venezuela, certainly landed in a weak sister draw. Yet it means the U.S. finds itself in a group with one of the world's superpowers, Argentina, and two World Cup quality squads, Paraguay and Colombia. As you noted, the U.S. might not get a chance to test itself like that until the next World Cup. It's a massive blown opportunity.

France may actually be the nominal team to beat these days, sort of like West Germany in the late '80s, early '90s. They've got a sick amount of talent these days, enough to make a serious World Cup contender from their B team in fact. They've got to be the nominal favorites for Euro 2008 (followed by Portugal and Spain). France is now feeling the surge from the 1998 World Cup win. All those kids who watched that victory and got the fever for the game are hitting adulthood.

Hoosier Red
02-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Does that mean in about 4-6 years you might really start seeing the US pipeline improve? After all the hype from the quarterfinals in 2002?

I'm not sure the Gold cup shouldn't be first priority. Yes its big fish small pond. But I think that's better than small fish no pond.

If you play your best time in the Copa Libradores, against a killer draw, and lose in group play. Then go out and lose in the Gold Cup with a B squad, you're screwed twice.

What will help is with more and more of the National team quality players in Europe, this won't necessarily affect their schedules to play in both tournaments. On the other hand, it's kinda hard to take Landon Donovan away from the Galaxy for basically 4 weeks.

Yachtzee
02-25-2007, 01:44 PM

Well, I think the fact that the US is qualifying for the WC every time now is a vast improvement over the past. Compared to the past, the US team is much better than it was. The US failed to qualify for the WCs held from 1954-86, but has been there every WC since 1990. 2006 was disappointing, but I'll be interested to see how things go between now and the 2010 WC.

RawOwl UK
02-25-2007, 02:33 PM
I watched Frankie Simek play again yesterday for my team. How he has not been considered for the U.S national side i'll never know. (it's because he's not playing in the premiership)

M2
02-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Does that mean in about 4-6 years you might really start seeing the US pipeline improve? After all the hype from the quarterfinals in 2002?

I'm not sure the Gold cup shouldn't be first priority. Yes its big fish small pond. But I think that's better than small fish no pond.

If you play your best time in the Copa Libradores, against a killer draw, and lose in group play. Then go out and lose in the Gold Cup with a B squad, you're screwed twice.

What will help is with more and more of the National team quality players in Europe, this won't necessarily affect their schedules to play in both tournaments. On the other hand, it's kinda hard to take Landon Donovan away from the Galaxy for basically 4 weeks.

No one cares who wins the Gold Cup. It's already no pond. The only thing that means less than being the best team in North America is being the best team in Asia, but the U.S. keeps hosting the Gold Cup in front of throngs of non-existent fans like it means something. You play your A team against a killer draw in Copa America and your A team gets better. You move your program forward. A semifinal or a big win or two there goes a lot farther than beating up Guatemala.

If the U.S. wants to field a national that actually matters in this sport, then Copa America is the place to test its mettle, to set the standard for where it needs to go in the next three years. It can go back to CA in 2009 (I believe that's the next planned year for the event) and then get a real feel for what kind of progress has been made leading into the next World Cup.

Mexico's going to send it's A team to CA, not the Gold Cup. In fact that competition is where Mexico's made it's biggest splash on the world stage and it's why no matter how many times the U.S. beats Mexico head-to-head, the U.S. program still gets no respect. You've got to beat big teams in big competitions and Mexico's got notches against Brazil and Argentina in the past two CA competitions.

I agree about more players in Europe, but at some point they have to test themselves as a team and the Gold Cup is a creampuff event.

I wouldn't compare the impact of France's '98 World Cup win on its home soil against the Brazilians to the U.S. quarterfinal in 2002. The two events are galaxies apart. I spent a week in France last year. Every kid seemed to have a ball on his or her foot. That win changed a nation, turned it from a country where soccer was played and followed to one where soccer became part of the national identity. The closest U.S. equivalent is probably the first Super Bowl.

Though the U.S. program has been getting better at a slow, steady pace for a few decades now, but the next step is a big one and Gold Cups aren't going to get the team there. In fact, part of the next step should be that the U.S. B team is good enough to win the Gold Cup.

Betterread
02-25-2007, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=M2;1249248]I think you mean Copa America, Liberatadores is a club competition. Unfortunately the U.S. will be playing a B squad in Copa America. The national side's new coach, Bob Bradley, has made the CONCACAF Gold Cup his priority, which indicates to me the team is still afflicted with big-fish-small-pond syndrome and that Bradley lacks the vision to bring the national program forward.[QUOTE]

Let me try to articulate what I failed to say clearly before.
I know that I mixed together two points - the future of the US national team and the future of American soccer, but I what I wanted to say was that I hope the US clubs play in the Libertadores so as a country we can have a measure for our professional teams. Right now US clubs only play a few friendlies against clubs from other countries, and I think this omission makes it difficult to evaluate US soccer's progress.
I agree with you that the US does not embrace the Copa America competition, which is a shame. It is a competition that the US should throw itself into - again, as a measure of progress. However the team places in the competition is less important than what the US learns - the WC happens too infrequently to be the only tool of measurement for US soccer.

M2
02-25-2007, 02:39 PM
I watched Frankie Simek play again yesterday for my team. How he has not been considered for the U.S national side i'll never know. (it's because he's not playing in the premiership)

What? You think the U.S. team could use a right back with pace?

M2
02-25-2007, 02:40 PM
the WC happens too infrequently to be the only tool of measurement for US soccer.

Exactly

Cedric
02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Beckham has been in top form lately. He's an odd duck. His over hype in some ways has under hyped his actual performance and skill set.

M2
02-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Beckham has been in top form lately. He's an odd duck. His over hype in some ways has under hyped his actual performance and skill set.

He'll probably shine in the U.S. where the pace is a lot slower.

Red Heeler
02-26-2007, 08:27 PM
He'll probably shine in the U.S. where the pace is a lot slower.

How long will it take him to get frustrated by having Donovan on the end of his passes instead of Van Nistelrooy or Raul or Ronaldo? No knock on Donovan, those are three of the best finishers on the planet.

RawOwl UK
02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Talking to my mate (Liverpool fan) at weekend and he was saying that he thinks the next big name to go to the states from England could be Robbie Fowler.

Not sure if he is recognised as a big name over there though.

Cedric
02-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Talking to my mate (Liverpool fan) at weekend and he was saying that he thinks the next big name to go to the states from England could be Robbie Fowler.

Not sure if he is recognised as a big name over there though.

If he does the "coke" celebration than he will become a household name.

RawOwl UK
02-28-2007, 01:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6404031.stm

Speak of the devil :)

StillFunkyB
02-28-2007, 05:12 PM
What would have really turned things upside down is if they could have gotten several players to come to the MLS. Maybe Thierry Henry, Wayne Rooney, Joe Cole etc.. That would never happen though.

M2
02-28-2007, 05:54 PM
There will probably be a boatload of higher profile players arriving this summer after the Euro leagues finish their seasons.

I'm not sure exactly who will be coming over, but there will be a significant migration.

WMR
02-28-2007, 06:32 PM
I think just about every team will try to utilize the "single player exemption" clause of their new CBA.

Yachtzee
02-28-2007, 07:38 PM
I think just about every team will try to utilize the "single player exemption" clause of their new CBA.

The question is, will some teams be able to use it? Columbus failed to entice Brian McBride to come back and from the few articles I've seen, it sounds like places like Columbus might be a tough sell for non-Americans who want to play in LA or New York.

WMR
02-28-2007, 08:10 PM
The question is, will some teams be able to use it? Columbus failed to entice Brian McBride to come back and from the few articles I've seen, it sounds like places like Columbus might be a tough sell for non-Americans who want to play in LA or New York.

Good question. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

M2
03-01-2007, 10:34 AM

They won't be able to use it prior to the season in most cases, but I'd expect almost every one of those special slots will be used up by midseason. If a team like Columbus is having trouble finding takers (and a number of MLS cities will be tough sells for international players), then we'll probably see them trade off their exemptions.

vaticanplum
04-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Look who's a Reds fan! (or at least finds the hat stylin):

(you may all thank my cousin, the Beckham-obsessed Reds fan, for this one)

WMR
04-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Wanker!!! :D :laugh:

Nice find, VP. :)

BTW: Where did you find that? Or, your cousin?

vaticanplum
04-23-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't know, she just sent me the pictures. I can ask her.

WMR
04-23-2007, 10:55 PM
That's a really awesome find, yeah I'd be curious to know. If I had to guess, I'd say one of those celebrity sites like www.tmz.com or something.

Betterread
04-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Look who's a Reds fan! (or at least finds the hat stylin):

(you may all thank my cousin, the Beckham-obsessed Reds fan, for this one)

How did you come across those photos? Kudos to you.
I have a new level of respect for Becks.

WMR
04-23-2007, 11:00 PM
::rumor::

I heard Dunn gave Posh a bunch of Reds gear after they got done "hanging out" during her last tour of the States.

GET 'ER DUNN

What better way to get back at your philandering British husband than to have a fling with a good ole boy Texas ballplayer?!?! :lol: :laugh: :lol:

WMR
06-18-2007, 04:04 AM
David Beckham played his final match for Real Madrid yesterday as he helped them secure their record 30th La Liga Championship.

The next time David Beckham plays a match of club football he will be suiting up for the L.A. Galaxy.

reds1869
06-18-2007, 06:59 PM
David Beckham played his final match for Real Madrid yesterday as he helped them secure their record 30th La Liga Championship.

The next time David Beckham plays a match of club football he will be suiting up for the L.A. Galaxy.

How serious do you think Becks' injury is? Lalas wouldn't comment because he is "still a Real Madrid player."

timmario66
06-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Lalas needs to lay off the crack pipe.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=439873&cc=5901

WMR
08-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Did anyone see Beckham's first goal scored off a free kick??

Damn, that was a SWEET SHOT.

That 5-4 loss to the Metrostars in front of 66,000 was reminiscent of the Pele Cosmo days.

RawOwl UK
08-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Did anyone see Beckham's first goal scored off a free kick??

D

No matter what league it was scored in. That goal was Quality with a capital Q.

cincinnati chili
08-24-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm going to see him play in Denver on Sunday.

GIK
08-24-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm going to see him play in Denver on Sunday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_ylt=AuDdfFC..QN_nt5TYlUzEm85nYcB?slug=ap-mls-galaxy-beckham

WMR
08-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Understandable, but I feel for ya, cc.

cincinnati chili
08-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Disappointing. They were only $12 tickets, and I'm not a big soccer fan. Would have been nice to tell my grandkids I saw David Beckham play...

Chili's future grandkids: "WTF was David Beckham? . . ."

Cedric
08-25-2007, 02:09 AM
Beckham is still the man. I'm standing behind my assertion he is easily the best player in the league.

BuckeyeRed27
10-25-2011, 05:48 PM
So David Beckham's MLS contract expires at the end of next month. The MLS playoffs start this weekend and the LA Galaxy are the favorite to win the MLS Cup after having the best record for the second year in a row. However the Galaxy are yet to win, or for that matter play for, the MLS Cup since Beckham came over.

I'm a little biased as I live in LA and am a big LA Galaxy fan, but I guess after reading this 5 year old thread, my question is how much has the MLS or soccer in general come along in the past five years?

I personally think it is doing quite well. Both the men's and women's World Cups has fantastic ratings and interest. The MLS has expanded and will have 20 teams next season. The league just set and attendance record and signed a new TV deal with NBC Sports. The expansion in the Pacific Northwest has been amazing. Over 66,000 people attended the Seattle Sounders game last week for Kasey Keller's last match. The MLS continues to build more soccer specific stadiums in urban areas and have gotten away from their failed suburban marketing strategy. Real Salt Lake played in the Financials of the Champions League this year and three teams (LA, Seattle, Toronto) have qualified for the knock out rounds this season, so the league is doing better on an international scale. Overall the quality of play I think has improved. Its not top shelf La Liga or EPL, but it is certainly watchable and in many cases good, exciting soccer being played IMHO.

Yachtzee
10-25-2011, 09:42 PM
So David Beckham's MLS contract expires at the end of next month. The MLS playoffs start this weekend and the LA Galaxy are the favorite to win the MLS Cup after having the best record for the second year in a row. However the Galaxy are yet to win, or for that matter play for, the MLS Cup since Beckham came over.

I'm a little biased as I live in LA and am a big LA Galaxy fan, but I guess after reading this 5 year old thread, my question is how much has the MLS or soccer in general come along in the past five years?

I personally think it is doing quite well. Both the men's and women's World Cups has fantastic ratings and interest. The MLS has expanded and will have 20 teams next season. The league just set and attendance record and signed a new TV deal with NBC Sports. The expansion in the Pacific Northwest has been amazing. Over 66,000 people attended the Seattle Sounders game last week for Kasey Keller's last match. The MLS continues to build more soccer specific stadiums in urban areas and have gotten away from their failed suburban marketing strategy. Real Salt Lake played in the Financials of the Champions League this year and three teams (LA, Seattle, Toronto) have qualified for the knock out rounds this season, so the league is doing better on an international scale. Overall the quality of play I think has improved. Its not top shelf La Liga or EPL, but it is certainly watchable and in many cases good, exciting soccer being played IMHO.

I think the MLS has made great strides in the past five years. Beckham was a waste, but expanding to markets with a strong interest in soccer rather than trying to court big markets with a strong latino base has been a big win. In the past, they kept toying around with putting teams back in Florida, where it already failed, creating Chivas, and trying to get a second NY team. Once they stopped that and started looking at markets with a passion for the sport (Philadelphia, Pacific NW, Toronto and Montreal), attendance and tv ratings climbed. They are also seeking out better players from around the world rather than sticking a few washed up Europeans on a team full of college scrubs. The academy system is really starting to bear fruit as well.

westofyou
10-25-2011, 10:04 PM
I love the game, but I don't follow MLS too much, (baseball centric during that time)

Dang... the Timbers own this town though.

BuckeyeRed27
10-26-2011, 11:22 AM
I love the game, but I don't follow MLS too much, (baseball centric during that time)

Dang... the Timbers own this town though.

I'm going to try and make it up for the Galaxy Timbers game in the next couple years. The atmosphere at those games looks amazing.

BuckeyeRed27
11-20-2011, 06:11 PM
MLS Cup tonight at 9 est. Heading down to the stadium soon.

reds1869
11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Beckham finally has his MLS Cup. Pretty impressive that he played with a torn hamstring.

BuckeyeRed27
11-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Beckham finally has his MLS Cup. Pretty impressive that he played with a torn hamstring.

He played pretty well too. He certainly wasn't as active as he's been most of this season, but his passing and organization of the midfield was spot on. It was a lot of fun being at the game last night. Really great atmosphere. I hope Becks comes back for one more run, but I guess we'll know soon.