PDA

View Full Version : Buy a ticket, get all you can eat....

remdog
01-11-2007, 08:59 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dodgers11jan11,0,3042205.story?coll=la-home-headlines

As if Americans aren't fat enough! I also agree with the marketing professor that says low priced tickets are an important way of introducing the next generation of fans to the game.

Fans get right to be stuffed
Dodgers converting right-field pavilion into an all-you-can-eat section and raising the cheapest seat to $10.
By Bill Shaikin, Times Staff Writer
January 11, 2007

You won't be able to buy a ticket for under $10 on game day at Dodger Stadium next season, but you will be able to pay $40 for a bleacher seat and an endless supply of Dodger Dogs.

The Dodgers are converting the right-field pavilion into an all-you-can-eat section. They also are raising the price of the cheapest game-day ticket, in the top deck, from $6 to $10, matching the price in the left-field pavilion.

A ticket to the right-field pavilion at $35 in advance and $40 on game day will entitle fans to an endless supply of ballpark staples, including hot dogs, peanuts and soda but excluding beer, which hasn't been sold in the pavilion for years. The Dodgers tested the concept several times last season.

"The fans really liked it," spokeswoman Camille Johnston said. "We know it's a good option for groups."

Fans spend an average of $12.30 on food and drink per game, a major league executive said. The all-in-one package affords fans the opportunity to "spend a few extra dollars and have everything taken care of," said David Carter, executive director of the USC Sports Business Institute. "Most people probably believe they're into a ballgame for $40, even if they're just in general admission."

The Dodgers raised other game-day prices by $3 to $25 per ticket, with increases ranging from 11% to 36%.

With the right-field pavilion no longer an option, the number of seats with a game-day price no higher than $10 fell from about 9,500 to about 6,200.

The Dodgers advanced to the playoffs last season and sold a record 3.76 million tickets along the way. But the team should be wary of raising the price of the cheapest tickets and limiting their supply for fear of losing families, particularly at a time children might prefer to play video games or extreme sports, said Cal State Fullerton marketing professor Thomas Boyd.

"The lowest-priced ticket should be about introducing your next generation of fans to the game, not just about filling seats," Boyd said.

Rem

Unassisted
01-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Clever concept. It will be interesting to see if it catches on.

Topcat
01-11-2007, 10:59 PM
California is the most diet conscious state right ? Seems like a silly idea to me.
better to have young fans out in stands but eh its LA.

Falls City Beer
01-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Anytime I see the words "all you can eat" I think of that scene in Krush Groove when The Fat Boys tackle that buffet.

TheBigLebowski
01-12-2007, 12:09 AM
I understand the famed "Dodger Dog" competes favorably with our beloved and incomparable Cheese Coney. Has any RZ'er ever had one? If so, are they really that good?

TheBigLebowski
01-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Anytime I see the words "all you can eat" I think of that scene in Krush Groove when The Fat Boys tackle that buffet.

FWIW - for those of you requesting more info about Krush Groove, here is the IMDB (Internet Movie Database) link.

Truly a classic. Featured the aforementioned Fat Boys, Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, Blair Underwood, and the immortal New Edition.

1985 truly was Good Times.

RBA
01-12-2007, 12:16 AM
I understand the famed "Dodger Dog" competes favorably with our beloved and incomparable Cheese Coney. Has any RZ'er ever had one? If so, are they really that good?

They aren't bad, but they burn them a little. It's been a long time since I had one. I believe they are made by Farmer John.

Razor Shines
01-12-2007, 03:30 AM
So what was the price of the right field pavillion? Was it six dollars before this year? Ok so they're raising the other pavillion seats to 10 bucks and in right field a 10 dollar seat is now 40 but you get all you can eat. I don't think I would spend 30 dollars on food for myself, excluding beer. My wife and I combined maybe, but it's another 30 bucks for her in this deal. Is there something I'm missing? I don't see how this is at all a good deal.

remdog
01-12-2007, 08:46 AM
So what was the price of the right field pavillion? Was it six dollars before this year? Ok so they're raising the other pavillion seats to 10 bucks and in right field a 10 dollar seat is now 40 but you get all you can eat. I don't think I would spend 30 dollars on food for myself, excluding beer. My wife and I combined maybe, but it's another 30 bucks for her in this deal. Is there something I'm missing? I don't see how this is at all a good deal.

Good question. I think that they are basicly saying that the right-field pavillion would have been raised to the $25.00 price point but they are making it different by including the all-you-can-eat. At $35.00 before the day of the game it's $2.50 under what an average fan would spend on ticket and food; at $40.00 on the day of the game it's $2.50 over.

I wonder if they will let someone go to the consession stand and order say, 50 hot dogs? If you had a group of 15-20 people that wouldn't be an outrageous order. If you had a group of four, well.....Also, will having everything 'pre-paid' allow the lines to move faster?

Rem

remdog
01-12-2007, 08:49 AM

They are pretty good. They just don't come with chili and cheese. You can buy them in the stores here and fix them that way at home if you like.

Rem

Roy Tucker
01-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Actually, I can see this for families with smaller children.

When the Tucker kids were younger, they really didn't follow the game all that closely. And they'd get bored. An easy out for dad was to buy them more food to keep them occupied.

So we would usually run the gamut of ballpark food. Hot dogs, peanuts, cotton candy, ice cream, licorice whips, coneys, frozen lemonade, etc etc. It was pretty easy for me to go through the $100 cash I got from the ATM before going into the ballpark. But it was always a source of low level anxiety for dad, i.e. "crap, I am burning through my cash like there is no tomorrow, there goes my lunch money for next week".

Get some of these seats, then its easy for dad to be the "free" spender and be magnanimous and say "sure kids, get whatever you want".

RFS62
01-12-2007, 09:21 AM
They aren't bad, but they burn them a little. It's been a long time since I had one. I believe they are made by Farmer John.

Yep, they're Farmer John dogs. Not bad at all, but not as good as they make them out to be. I'd still prefer a brat any day.

Johnny Footstool
01-12-2007, 11:52 AM
"All You Can Eat" at the ballpark sounds like a recipe for heart disease. You have to put the word "food" in quotes when talking about ballpark "food".

FWIW - for those of you requesting more info about Krush Groove, here is the IMDB (Internet Movie Database) link.

Truly a classic. Featured the aforementioned Fat Boys, Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, Blair Underwood, and the immortal New Edition.

1985 truly was Good Times.

Ahem...L.L. Cool J performing "Radio."

And a trio of young jewish lads called The Beastie Boys introduced us to their hybrid rock/rap style with "She's On It."

paintmered
01-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Don't tell Kobayashi.

Jr's Boy
01-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Dodger dogs are overrated ,was there this summer and had one.Plus they have no beer vendors walking around so you gotta wait in long lines for a beer.Other than that a great place to see a ballgame.

BoydsOfSummer
01-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Are The Fat Boys in the rock-n-roll hall of fame yet? They will be.

Yachtzee
01-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Yep, they're Farmer John dogs. Not bad at all, but not as good as they make them out to be. I'd still prefer a brat any day.

I thought they were really good. I would place them as better than the standard ballpark hot dog they have at most stadiums, but less tasty than the Kahn's Big Red Smokey. I won't even try to compare them to the Skyline Cheese Coney, which I consider a different beast altogether. I don't get those for the hot dog. Cleveland, on the other hand, has pretty mediocre hot dogs made by Sugardale, but then has the best stadium mustard.

Overall, I think an all-you-can eat ticket is probably a good idea. Sure you're going to take a hit when the Fat Boys show up, but you're also in LA. People have to bring their dieting girlfriends (or boyfriends for that matter) along, who won't nearly eat $30 worth of food, so you make up the profit that way.

camisadelgolf
01-14-2007, 04:46 PM
I did the all-you-can-eat thing at Dodger Stadium last year. It was a great buy, seeing as how the food items cost about double what they do at GABP. On a side note, if anyone gets a chance to see a game at Dodger Stadium, I highly recommend it. I was expecting an old, dirty, falling-apart stadium with bad sightlines with an experience inconducive to watching baseball, but it turned out that I've never been more wrong in my life.

Yachtzee
01-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Dodgers Stadium is one of those places that is older, but still looks nice. From what I hear, the Dodgers, like the Cubs, actually take care of their ballpark so that they don't need a new one.

Always Red
01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
FWIW, the Diamond seats, right behind home plate at GABP, are all you can eat and drink, too (beer included- and they don't cut you off after the 7th inning, I have personally witnessed that myself from club seats just behind the Diamond seats). Of course, they were $200 a pop last year, and I'm sure have gone up for 2007.