PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Things You Can't Get Anymore

Dom Heffner
01-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Used to love a candy called Delfa Rolls. It was like a big sheet of strawberry licorice rolled up and cut into four mini rolls.

I cannot find them anywhere, even on the internet.

Anything you used to love but can't get anymore?

vaticanplum
01-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Pom poms made specifically for ice skates.

And, come to that, those little pom-pom people with the googly eyes and the feet that stuck onto your desk.

BUTLER REDSFAN
01-11-2007, 11:47 PM
this doesn't completely qualify since there are still a few around but its getting harder and harder to find a good ice cold mug of a+w root beer in the summertime

DoogMinAmo
01-11-2007, 11:53 PM
I used to have a fondness for Bar None candy bars. Apparently I was the only one, they didn't last very long.

Oh, and one more you can get in Canada but you will not find in the states: Ketchup Potato Chips. They are surprisingly good.

pedro
01-12-2007, 01:45 AM
I used to really like Marathon Bars.

Yachtzee
01-12-2007, 03:18 AM
Havana Joe shoes, but only because I can't get them in this area. I have wide feet with high arches. My wife says I have "Fred Flintsone" feet. Most shoes don't fit me and the ones that do aren't very comfortable (other than New Balance sneakers). These were the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, but they're expensive ($150+). Unfortunately, I have yet to find a shoe under $100 that doesn't feel like foot binding torture.

I also liked marathon bars.

RedFanAlways1966
01-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Affordable good pitchers for small-market teams. :devil:

MrCinatit
01-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Heath Bars. Do they even make them anymore?
"Normal" Baseball cards. There are too many ultra sets and such, last I looked. And last I looked, I could not find a simple "Upper Deck" pack. And, hey - where's my freaking gum!!??
Sex with women 18-25.

RedFanAlways1966
01-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Made me do a Google search and found the below site that shows a list of discontinued candies. Dom's Delfa Rolls made the list. Vatican mentioned pom poms for skates, but there is also a Pom Pom candy that is on the discontinued list.

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/discontinued.htm

HotCorner
01-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Crystal Pepsi.

SunDeck
01-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Jarts, man.

Jarts.

Red in Chicago
01-12-2007, 08:46 AM

yes, they still make them...i buy a pack of the mini heath bars every other week...they are the best:thumbup:

Team Clark
01-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Slush Puppies other than Red or Blue. I liked to mix my own.

French Chews are getting harder and harder to find.

Sweet Tarts on a stick seem to be rare. My Dad got me hooked on that when I was young. I found a place that had them in Hillsboro. I bought $20 worth at .10c apiece. Lasted all summer.

texasdave
01-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Albums.....the vinyl kind that came with great cover art (sometimes), lyrics that you could actually read (unlike CDs) and sometimes a bonus poster to slap up on the wall.

Cozy Wings....at least that's what we called them. Those little triangular windows on cars that you could push to a certain angle so that the wind blew directly on you. (before universal AC).

And, of course, New Coke. =)

Roy Tucker
01-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Ice cold Coke in 6 1/2 ounce bottles from a vending machine for a dime.

My dad used to pay me $1 for cutting the grass. I'd take my dollar bill down to the corner gas station, get 2 quarters and 5 dimes change, and pound down those Cokes. Sometimes I'd buy a candy bar.

We'd sit on the curb at the station listening to the cars roll over the detector that would make a bell go ding-ding back in the garage bays. Chuck or Phil would come out wiping the grease off his hands and man the pumps.

Nothing like the taste of Coke mingled with the smell of gasoline and oil.

vaticanplum
01-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Sex with women 18-25.

Ha! Sex with MEN 18-25.

It's a bigger difference for us than it is for you, believe me.

(If this needs to be edited, mods, have at it.)

bomarl1969
01-12-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm listing mine in reference to baseball

1. Watching a Reds team knowing that they are just "being competitive in a VERY tough NL Central" (sarcasm in a goofy old white nerdy businessman's voice) instead of watching a Reds team that is playing for it all!

2. Listening to Joe Knuxhal instead of this Stewart ****** they hired to replace him.

3. Seeing Pete Rose and Barry Larkin in a Reds uniform (granted they can't play anymore but I still wish they were managers or something)

4. A power hitter who could hit 20 homeruns and that was considered one of the best in the game.

5. Doubleheaders

6. Marge Schott and her dog!

7. Lou Pinella or Davey Johnson as the Reds manager

8. Kids who played baseball from early on a summer morning until their mothers called them in for dinner. Now they just play that stupid PS and Wii

9. Music supergroups. Why doesn't rock have the GNRs, Black Sabbaths, Van Halens, or Led Zeppelins anymore?

10. Watching a race on Sundays that had the black #3 driving around the track, a race in the south, and when cars could just bang the hell outta each other and not be penalized.

Heath
01-12-2007, 10:53 AM

Yes. And they still suck.

Burger Chef.

Heath
01-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Ha! Sex with MEN 18-25.

It's a bigger difference for us than it is for you, believe me.

(If this needs to be edited, mods, have at it.)

Sugar daddy watcher..... :D

ok, uncalled for. Sorry.

vaticanplum
01-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Sugar daddy watcher..... :D

ok, uncalled for. Sorry.

Man, I sometimes wish I had the constitution and moral depravity needed to take on a sugar daddy.

Speaking of which -- do they still still sugar baby candies?

RANDY IN INDY
01-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Mrcinatit:

Sex with women 18-25.

:laugh: :beerme:

Originally posted by texasdave:

Cozy Wings....at least that's what we called them. Those little triangular windows on cars that you could push to a certain angle so that the wind blew directly on you. (before universal AC).

I miss those too.

I really miss a couple of things from my hometown. Stewarts hot dogs and Gino's pizza.

westofyou
01-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Coke made with sugar

$220 Coast To Coast Airline Tickets

Nectar Phosphates (outside of Graters)

Barqs in a 16oz Bottle

McDLT ( Not)

RANDY IN INDY
01-12-2007, 11:13 AM
25 cent baseball cards. No, not a common from 1990, a whole pack of cards. I remember my dad reaching in his pocket and giving me a quarter or two and being able to get some cards. Now I can't get buy for less than $2.00 with my son.

Roy Tucker
01-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Sex with women 18-25.

Awwww. I'll take women 35-50.

They know what they want, they know how to go about getting it, and they aren't shy about letting you know.

Spring~Fields
01-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Mason root beer,
Payday, Snickers, and Coke
the way they tasted in the 60s.

RANDY IN INDY
01-12-2007, 11:31 AM

They know what they want, they know how to go about getting it, and they aren't shy about letting you know.

Something to be said for that!:beerme:

Sweetstop
01-12-2007, 11:36 AM

I see they are still younger than you, Roy.;) You can add women in their 50's to that description (experience can be quite sexy) too, if you don't mind.:)

OesterPoster
01-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Loved the returnable glass bottle Pepsi (1 pint each?), which came in an 8 pack (I think?). Finish off the 8 bottles, then bring the case back to the grocery store. They'd give you a store coupon for a certain amount off your purchase.

Big League Chew. Is that stuff still around? Man, we used to shove a whole pack of the stuff into our mouths at once. I loved the grape flavor.

flyer85
01-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Burger Chef.:help:

Roy Tucker
01-12-2007, 12:07 PM
I see they are still younger than you, Roy.;) You can add women in their 50's to that description (experience can be quite sexy) too, if you don't mind.:)

Seeing that my wife is 47, I can't speak from experience. So I'll take your word for it. :)

However, when I was 24, I had a girlfriend who was 35 who took me for a few laps around the track. :cool: So "older" women have always had a place in my heart. :thumbup:

creek14
01-12-2007, 12:50 PM
What ever happened to pink, green, blue and floral TP? Did they discover that dye caused butt cheek cancer or something?

I miss No Jelly candy bars.

I can't get my boobs to be perky anymore, and I really, really miss that.

Heath
01-12-2007, 12:51 PM
However, when I was 24, I had a girlfriend who was 35 who took me for a few laps around the track. :cool: So "older" women have always had a place in my heart. :thumbup:

Been there, done that, got more than a t-shirt. The rest will just have to be unknown, but I second Roy's emotion.

CougarQuest
01-12-2007, 12:59 PM
What ever happened to pink, green, blue and floral TP? Did they discover that dye caused butt cheek cancer or something?

It was causing some sort of infection in women

CougarQuest
01-12-2007, 01:00 PM

Been there done that and still have the scar to prove it:mooner:

Chip R
01-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Plastic surgery is your friend.

CougarQuest
01-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Jarts, man.

Jarts.

My brother doesn't miss them ... since I rarely missed him with them :evil:

Jpup
01-12-2007, 01:07 PM
this doesn't completely qualify since there are still a few around but its getting harder and harder to find a good ice cold mug of a+w root beer in the summertime

there are a several A&Ws around here.

Roy Tucker
01-12-2007, 01:08 PM

An ice cube down the back of your shirt will cause a "hello" moment.

Puffy
01-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Tidbits. Loved those things.

Jpup
01-12-2007, 01:14 PM
I would also like to say that you guys make me feel young again. Since I'm 26, I don't even know what half the stuff you guys are talking about is. I do miss collecting baseball cards though. I also miss Druther's fast food places. The had some great potato wedges. :)

Red Leader
01-12-2007, 01:18 PM

I'll split the difference between the two of you and take the 26-34 crowd. They have bodies more like the 18-25 crowd and more experience and aggressiveness like the 35-50 crowd. Best of both worlds.

Johnny Footstool
01-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Mr. Salty Pretzels. They were the best. Rold Gold can't hold a candle to them.
Damn the AMA for making salt a bad thing.

Ha! Sex with MEN 18-25.

There are no "men" 18-25. Those are "boys" or (at best) "guys."

vaticanplum
01-12-2007, 01:34 PM
There are no "men" 18-25. Those are "boys" or (at best) "guys."

Yes they are. And guys boast many wonderful assets.

Would I trust them to raise my puppy? Probably not. But they usually do a fine job raising their own.

TeamMorris
01-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Tootsie pop drops and twigs. I Could find twigs a few years back at Meijer but they have disappeared again.

A lot of the candy you guys have mentioned can be found at Meijer believe it or not (if you are local). In one of the check out lanes they have what looks like and old fashion cart and it is loaded with "old time" candy. It cost anywhere from 15 cents to $1.00. You would also be surprised at what you can find at a Dollar tree store also.

Red Leader
01-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Tootsie pop drops and twigs. I Could find twigs a few years back at Meijer but they have disappeared again.

A lot of the candy you guys have mentioned can be found at Meijer believe it or not (if you are local). In one of the check out lanes they have what looks like and old fashion cart and it is loaded with "old time" candy. It cost anywhere from 15 cents to $1.00. You would also be surprised at what you can find at a Dollar tree store also.

Please confirm for me that they have Marathon Bars and I'll leave work right now.

I saw the website someone posted for Curly Whurly bars, or whatever, and I might look into that, but the shipping is a little high. If I can find a Marathon Bar in a store like Meijer that would be pure gold.

registerthis
01-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Ha! Sex with MEN 18-25.

How about just "sex", for those out there who are married.

Kidding! I jest, sweetheart, I jest! ;)

pedro
01-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Please confirm for me that they have Marathon Bars and I'll leave work right now.

I saw the website someone posted for Curly Whurly bars, or whatever, and I might look into that, but the shipping is a little high. If I can find a Marathon Bar in a store like Meijer that would be pure gold.

They stopped making them in 1981 so if you do find one I don't think you'll want to eat it. You have seen the episode of Seinfeld where Eileen eats the 70 year old cake haven't you?

registerthis
01-12-2007, 02:29 PM
In all seriousness, I will say baseball cards. I know, they're still made, but who wants to shell out $3 for 7 cards?

I know there are others who can outdo this deal, but for me the best summer of my life was 1987, when I could purchase packs of 15 Topps cards (plus one awful piece of gum) for 40. The 1987 Topps series remains my all-time favorite, I just loved that wooden background and the fonts they used. I used to get paid $2/week to do chores around the house. Saturday was payday, so I'd frequently ride my bike down to Van's Market (now the Colonial Market) in Worthington with my buddies on Saturday morning and buy 5 packs of cards...then we'd ride back to my house and open them up to see who we got while listening to the Reds game broadcast. I'd get excited every time I saw a Reds player, even if it was a Wade Rowdon or Rob Murphy.

The guy who ran the Colonial Market never charged us tax for anything, and looking back I think something was up there, but of course we didn't care at the time.

Good memories... :) But I don't know that baseball cards hold the same attraction to kids these days as they once did. I never see them in grocery stores anymore, and you used to see them all the time.

Red Leader
01-12-2007, 02:30 PM
I thought chocolate aged like fine wine....

I'm sure Roy remembers a place called Monkey Miller's in Centerville. I used to ride my bike there when I was a kid for candy. Some of the loose candy they had on the shelves had about 1/4" of dust on it. I stuck with the candy bars in wrappers.

westofyou
01-12-2007, 02:31 PM
when I could purchase packs of 15 Topps cards (plus one awful piece of gum) for 40¢.

I miss 40 cent gas.

Red Leader
01-12-2007, 02:32 PM
I miss 40 cent gas.

Get off my lawn!

Johnny Footstool
01-12-2007, 03:40 PM

:beerme:

Red in Chicago
01-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Coke made with sugar

Book a flight to the Big Apple a few weeks before Passover and get some.
"Kosher for Passover" Coke will be on the shelves, probably with the specially marked yellow lid.

westofyou
01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
"Kosher for Passover" Coke will be on the shelves, probably with the specially marked yellow lid.
Yea, I can get Mexican coke with sugar, but I want it without chasing it.

TeamMorris
01-12-2007, 04:31 PM

I am really not sure but man does the name pop out at me! Don't be mad at me if I am wrong! Either way it was kind of fun to look the stuff over and say "WOW" I remember that!! Worth the trip!

15fan
01-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Drunk.

Heck, at this point in my life, even a good buzz.

dman
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I miss 40 cent gas.

I'd be happy if I could just find it for $1.50 per gallon

Spring~Fields
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Old fashioned, truly homemade ice cream.
Some ice cream store in Middletown use to have the best.
mmmmmmmmm

Dom Heffner
01-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Anything older than that and they know they don't want it, they now how to avoid getting it, and they aren't shy about letting you know. :)

RANDY IN INDY
01-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Old fashioned, truly homemade ice cream.
Some ice cream store in Middletown use to have the best.
mmmmmmmmm

Just find you a White Mountain ice cream freezer, rock salt, ice, and a good recipe and you are on your way. Man, that sounds good. I've cranked a few gallons on hot Summer afternoons. My grandad would make it in the dead of winter. He loved some good homemade ice cream. Lemon was his favorite. I'm partial to fresh peach.

acredsfan
01-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Technically this is probably still around, but not in the cincinnati area, but if anyone is from the Iowa/Wisconsin area or is visiting you must find 1919 rootbeer... it puts A&W to shame. you can only get it on tap, and it is the best rootbeer I have ever tasted.

Also, when i was growing up we used to go out to this Bakery in the middle of Hillsboro and get these things that we used to call chocolate sundaes, but that may not have been their real names.. they were chocolate cake with chocolate icing with this butter cream icing piled on top like ice cream coming out of a cone.... they were unbelievable... I hope they still make them... i'll be making a visit soon to find out....

George Foster
01-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Hudepohl beer at Riverfront:beerme:

Bench behind the plate.

The National League West, and the evil Dodgers.

The Summer of 86, The Top Gun Soundtrack, and my Mustang.

Kissing a girl you had a real crush on for the very first time.

Dorm life.

Johnny Footstool
01-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Friggin' Dunkin Donuts. Out east you can find one everywhere -- Chicago has them inside the El stations. But Kansas, especially KC, is Krispy Kreme country. The closest Dunkin is in Lawrence. That makes for a 2-hour round trip donut run, which is pretty tough after a night of karaoke and beer.

RedsBaron
01-13-2007, 07:58 AM

:laugh:
I'm so old that I can remember buying baseball cards for five cents a pack, back in 1965-66. I can still recall how thrilled I was when I got my first Pete Rose card in 1966. I even liked the stale bubblegum that came in the pack.
I miss Frosty root beer and Milkshake candy bars, which were made by the Hollywood Candy Co.
I miss being able to eat whatever I wanted and never gaining any unwanted weight.
I miss being able to run all day and believing that I could outrun anybody.
I miss staying up to catch Johnny Carson's monologue.
I miss my dad.
I miss believing that I would never die.

GAC
01-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Jarts, man.

Jarts.

I got me a set on the black market about 4 months ago. ;)

And how about these...

http://www.groovycandies.com/uploadmedia/images/159.jpg

and the ball bat suckers

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/candy-crate_1932_2658282

There was also the Black Cow sucker.

And lets not forget candy cigarettes

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/candy-crate_1931_23383839

Here's a neat site on retro candies.....

http://candy-crate.stores.yahoo.net/

MrCinatit
01-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Candy cigarettes. The only thing "better" than those were the candy cigarette bubble gum, complete with a wrapper and a powder. Leaving the wrapper on, you could put it in your mouth, puff - and it would look like you were actually smoking.
Bought some of those back in the day at my local Lawsons. Dad saw that and freaked.

How about Red Barn. Any of those still around? It was kind of an inside Dairy Queen-like place with make-it-yourself Sundays. Pure madness was that. Used to be one near where I lived in Dayton on Woodman Drive.
I miss Woodman Drive.

RANDY IN INDY
01-13-2007, 08:17 AM
:laugh:
I'm so old that I can remember buying baseball cards for five cents a pack, back in 1965-66. I can still recall how thrilled I was when I got my first Pete Rose card in 1966. I even liked the stale bubblegum that came in the pack.
I miss Frosty root beer and Milkshake candy bars, which were made by the Hollywood Candy Co.
I miss being able to eat whatever I wanted and never gaining any unwanted weight.
I miss being able to run all day and believing that I could outrun anybody.
I miss staying up to catch Johnny Carson's monologue.
I miss my dad.
I miss believing that I would never die.

I can remember 10 cent cards, RedsBaron, and I vaguely remember maybe buying a few packs at 5 cents, maybe in '67 or '68. Frosty root beer was good. The eating thing, I am battling right now. Too many Christmas treats. The Carson monologue is a good one. I enjoyed that. The last two, I can really identify with, too. :beerme: At least you can still get Gino's and Stewarts Hot Dogs, but they kinda mess with #3 on your list.;)

RANDY IN INDY
01-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Candy cigarrettes. That woke up a taste bud that I haven't hit in a long time. Unique, they were.

RedsBaron
01-13-2007, 08:32 AM
I got me a set on the black market about 4 months ago. ;)

And how about these...

http://www.groovycandies.com/uploadmedia/images/159.jpg

and the ball bat suckers

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/candy-crate_1932_2658282

There was also the Black Cow sucker.

And lets not forget candy cigarettes

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/candy-crate_1931_23383839

Here's a neat site on retro candies.....

http://candy-crate.stores.yahoo.net/

I had forgotten ball bat suckers.
I did find some candy cigarettes a few years ago, only they were called something like "candy sticks" and they didn't have their tips colored red so as to look like a lit cigarette.

Dom Heffner
01-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Kissing a girl you had a real crush on for the very first time.

It's one of the best things going, and one of the most underrated. There are times you find yourself wanting to walk up to someone and just ask for the hell of it.

The sad part of it is, once you do it, the only way to do it again is to find somebody new. Cruel world, indeed.

Like RB, I miss my Dad. I didn't know a thing about loss until he died.

I miss the young David Letterman.

I miss the old Paul Dixon Show even though I'm too young to remember it. We watched it on DVD over Christmas and I felt like crying the whole night without knowing why.

Mr Gatti's taco pizza.

Chilito's at Taco Bell or Zantigo's (?). Chili and cheese stuffed in a tortilla shell. Hmmmmmm. I remember almost choking on melted cheese.

Salad Strollers at Roy Rogers.

Dr. Brown's black cherry cola. I could probably get it, but my grocery stores don't carry it.

Uno's. We have one in Orlando, but twice a year doesn't satisfy me.

My Dad's fried potatoes for breakfast. He had an old cast iron skillet with grease that was old and gross but man, it made those potatoes taste like nothing else.

Izzy's Deli. Their potato cakes rivaled Dad's.

That feeling of smallness as a child. Riding around on my Dad's shoulders, climbing into big empty cardboard boxes, and having the back yard as my stomping grounds. Today, the yard is something that holds bugs and makes you itchy if you brush your skin against it. Back then, it was a friend.

I miss lightning bugs. I wish I would have known they weren't going to be around forever.

I miss not worrying about my clothes being stained, the bills being paid, or the house being clean. A messy room meant I had a hell of a good time.

Forts made out of blankets. No, forts made out of Star Wars blankets.

A sleepover at my cousin's house to play APBA. Setting up the starting lineups, the score sheet (lines drawn horizontally and vertically to record the action), and maybe even a tape recorder to do some play by play. And making player cards of ourselves that represented the type of player we wanted to be. Him: George Brett. Me: George Foster. And the sound of the dice rattling around in those little yellow shakers- that meant something exciting was about to happen.

The feeling of opening a pack of baseball cards in the car and getting so excited that my mother would think I was pointing out something in the road: "What? What's wrong?" "I got a Johnny Bench!"

Playing baseball with a tennis ball. My power numbers were huge at our house on Forsythia Dr. The yard would not hold it.

Pepper, my Doberman. She would swim around in our lake chasing ducks for hours.

I miss that feeling of false inspiration after watching a movie. Hollywood creates myths, and I wish I never learned that.

The anticipation of the summer movie. This all went away for me when Will Smith became an action star.

My hair. I actually love having none, wouldn't want it back, but every now and then it hits me that this is what I have for the rest of my life. I can't feather it, part it on the side or the middle, have it stand on end or even have a bowl cut ever again.

Redsfaithful
01-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Also, when i was growing up we used to go out to this Bakery in the middle of Hillsboro and get these things that we used to call chocolate sundaes, but that may not have been their real names.. they were chocolate cake with chocolate icing with this butter cream icing piled on top like ice cream coming out of a cone.... they were unbelievable... I hope they still make them... i'll be making a visit soon to find out....

White's Bakery? I grew up in Hillsboro.

Max and Erma's had a soft pretzel appetizer that was awesome, but it went off the menu in the past year. I was pretty bummed about that, it was the only reason I went there.

acredsfan
01-13-2007, 12:29 PM
White's Bakery? I grew up in Hillsboro. It could be, it sounds familiar. I grew up in Winchester but made frequent trips to hillsboro because, if you know the area, there is nothing around winchester.

Yachtzee
01-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Friggin' Dunkin Donuts. Out east you can find one everywhere -- Chicago has them inside the El stations. But Kansas, especially KC, is Krispy Kreme country. The closest Dunkin is in Lawrence. That makes for a 2-hour round trip donut run, which is pretty tough after a night of karaoke and beer.

I will be making a run there for breakfast tomorrow morning with my son. A trip to the "Doughnut House" is our regular Sunday father/son thing.

I miss hanging out with my family at my grandparents' house in Troy, with the smell of my grandfather's pipe in the air, Oldenburg or Chistian Moerlein on tap in the beer meister and a dinner pizza from Joe Ording's shop around the block, maybe some Mike-Sell's chips to snack on. I miss hanging out with my grandfather at the kitchen table, him with his jug wine and me with my beer, talking until 3 am about life, the universe and everything.

deltachi8
01-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Talking to a live person to buy tickets on the phone.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-13-2007, 01:09 PM
SKI Cola! That stuff was the best and I don't know where to get it anymore... I know that I'm not really old enough to talk about anything you guys are, so I thought I would say something that's gone away within the last 17 years.

TeamMorris
01-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I had forgotten ball bat suckers.
I did find some candy cigarettes a few years ago, only they were called something like "candy sticks" and they didn't have their tips colored red so as to look like a lit cigarette.

You can get all of these at Meijer from that stand I was telling you about. I put some in TB & TC's stockings the year before last. There is a candy store on the back side of Fountain square that sells old time candy also. Fun little store.

RedsBaron
01-13-2007, 05:09 PM
It's one of the best things going, and one of the most underrated. There are times you find yourself wanting to walk up to someone and just ask for the hell of it.

Like RB, I miss my Dad. I didn't know a thing about loss until he died.

Uno's. We have one in Orlando, but twice a year doesn't satisfy me.

That feeling of smallness as a child. Riding around on my Dad's shoulders, climbing into big empty cardboard boxes, and having the back yard as my stomping grounds. Today, the yard is something that holds bugs and makes you itchy if you brush your skin against it. Back then, it was a friend.

I miss lightning bugs. I wish I would have known they weren't going to be around forever.

My hair. I actually love having none, wouldn't want it back, but every now and then it hits me that this is what I have for the rest of my life. I can't feather it, part it on the side or the middle, have it stand on end or even have a bowl cut ever again.

Dom mentioned a lot of other things I miss.
I not only loved kissing a new girl I had a crush on, I loved the anticipation of being on my way to pick up the girl, the excitement over what I hoped the night would bring, the sheer thrill of first seeing her. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, and it is with a much deeper love than I had for anyone when I was single, but the feeling is, well, different.
I really miss my dad, and we were not even that close.
I love Uno's, and I was so happy when we finally got one in Huntington a couple of years ago--but then the local owners lost the franchise, and we no longer have one. Are there any Uno's in Cincinnati?
I miss both the feeling of smallness as a child, and the absolute security, the lack of true worries. At times I do not want to be the "daddy."
We still have lightning bugs, but not as many as when I was a boy.
I still have my hair, but I miss it all being brown, and people saying that I looked "young."

traderumor
01-13-2007, 05:34 PM
What, no Viagra comments? :evil:

Ditto on Marathon bars and doubles, triples and quadruples of scrub baseball players in baseball cards. My cousin and I used to go to a Woolworth in town and look through all the 49 cents packs, which were cards in cellophane where you could see the top and bottom card and had about 30-40 cards in them for 49 cents, so you were assured of getting some cards you didn't already have.

I also wish my kids could go down the street to play without the risk of being kidnapped or molested. I'd leave in the morning, play wiffle ball, basketball, nerf football, or whatever other sport we could think of and come home for lunch and dinner and maybe come home at dark, or when it was time for the Reds to play.

Oh, and the Reds on non-Cable TV channels so I could get rid of cable or dish

Tony Cloninger
01-14-2007, 09:30 AM
1970-74 Plymouth Cuda's and Dodge Challenger's.

The Reds 1968-1971 uniforms....and the pre-1990's style
of showing your socks and not having your pants look like PJ's.

Complete Games

2 bar helemts....like Ken Anderson, Charlie Joiner used to have.

Falls City Beer
01-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Real winter--whether El Nino or global warming, it ain't the same beast anymore.

Neighborhoods that butt up against huge tracts of woods for miles around (instead of some other subdivision).

Politicians who apologize (in so many words).

WPA swimming pools.

My former teachers and mentors.

Drinking Wiedemann and watching Cardinals' basketball with my dad.

My cat Wolfman.

Milk in glass.

Books with uncut pages. Book jackets with austere handsome designs instead of sexed-up crap that I just throw away.

Hap
01-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Summer in Athens, Ohio, when rent was less than a hundred dollars a month, the "refreshments" were plentiful and Woolworth's had breakfast for under three dollars.

GAC
01-15-2007, 08:52 AM
I can remember 10 cent cards, RedsBaron, and I vaguely remember maybe buying a few packs at 5 cents, maybe in '67 or '68. Frosty root beer was good. The eating thing, I am battling right now. Too many Christmas treats. The Carson monologue is a good one. I enjoyed that. The last two, I can really identify with, too. :beerme: At least you can still get Gino's and Stewarts Hot Dogs, but they kinda mess with #3 on your list.;)

Do you or RB remember (early 60's) when they use to give out a player coin (had their pic in it) in a pack of baseball cards?

I wasted alot of great cards in the spokes of my bike.

Also....

Burger Chef and Jeff

Cartoons on Saturday morning (no educational crap!)

Frostop RB stands (you can still get the root beer - the best IMO)

Penny candy

GAC
01-15-2007, 09:00 AM
How about Red Barn. Any of those still around?

I was raised in Springfield, OHio and they had one of those up until just a few years ago (replaced by a Starvin' Marvins). I grew up eating there.

How about Dairy Isle?

http://www.agilitynut.com/05/5/schcone.gif

and Mr Softee?

http://jschumacher.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/mr_softee.jpg

RedsBaron
01-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Do you or RB remember (early 60's) when they use to give out a player coin (had their pic in it) in a pack of baseball cards?

Also....

Burger Chef and Jeff

Penny candy

I remember the player coins, which for some reason I didn't like. I saved my cards but threw away the coins.
I remember Burger King. Do you remember BBF?
I recall Saturday morning cartoons. My nine year old does watch Bugs and Daffy at times.
Huntington still has a Frostop drive in.

Heath
01-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Talking to a live person to buy tickets on the phone.

Going down to Sears in Salem Mall and actually buying tickets from someone without surcharges.

You bought what they had for tickets - or what they were given. And you LIKED it.

Phillips Drugs in Richmond used to do the same things. They had tickets with rubber bands around them and you'd pay your money and get tickets.

:D

Roy Tucker
01-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Like RB, I miss my dad. I didn't even begin to understand him till I was about 30. He was a great guy when the chips were down (and not so great in ordinary life).

I miss having an older "go-to" guy I can go talk to when something in life happens that I'm not sure what to do about. These days, I'm the "go-to" guy. When did that happen?

And I miss my mom too. She is still alive but in about year 20 of a dementia/Alzheimers downward spiral. There is a person that is an old version of my mom that still exists, but her brain is blown away and gets mad every time she asks if her mom is around and I as gently as I can tell her he is dead and has been for 35 years. I miss my kids getting cheated out of a grandma and my mom getting cheated out of her "golden years". It all just sucks.

TeamCasey
01-15-2007, 09:37 AM

:beerme: 40 is the new 20, so I'm told.

TeamCasey
01-15-2007, 09:46 AM
15-25 cent comic books

Coke in a glass bottle.

A waist.

MrCinatit
01-15-2007, 09:50 AM

Also....

Burger Chef and Jeff

Penny candy

Oh, how I miss Saturday cartoon time. It actually seemed Saturday cartoons were getting fewer and fewer in the late '70s and early '80s. A little bit of mindless fun isn't that harmful for the kiddies.

And i miss penny candy, too. Even as recently as 20ish years ago, I could go to Mabbits Carryout in Piqua and pick up a few packs of baseball cards, some penny candy (gummy fish!)...andsomepornomags.

Something I really miss, at least in Piqua, is a book store - especially a used book store. This town kills book stores - I swear this must be the most illiterate town in the States. We cannot keep a bookstore in business for more than three years anymore. I miss being able to brows a book store for hours before finally making a decision. Kinda hard to browse on Amazon.

I miss that combination of cardboard, stale bubble gum and wax paper when opening a pack of cards.

I miss listening to Marty and Joe.

I miss being able to flirt with a woman without fear of being slapped with a sexual harassment suit. I also miss being able to flirt with a woman without her saying "ew!".

Sometimes, I miss writing with my typewriter. I spent many hours on the floor of my apartment, pounding at the keys while listening to The Beatles.

I miss the feeling of childhood excitement starting in December and lasting a few days after Christmas.

TeamCasey
01-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Really good, fresh, crusty Italian bread. (I didn't realize how spoiled I was. Syracuse has a large Italian population.)

We still have fireflies.

Roy Tucker
01-15-2007, 10:04 AM
How about Red Barn. Any of those still around? It was kind of an inside Dairy Queen-like place with make-it-yourself Sundays. Pure madness was that. Used to be one near where I lived in Dayton on Woodman Drive.
I miss Woodman Drive.

I don't think so. I haven't seen them around for a long time. I worked at the Red Barn down on Brown St. by UD for a summer (probably about 1972). Made Barnbusters and Big Barneys. Fried chicken too. Used to get off work late and go over to The Shed for a few thousand beers. We'd get the evening shift from NCR back when NCR had thousands of blue collar workers down there.

Actually, in Ohio, I miss all the college bars that used to be everywhere on Ohio college campuses where 18-20 yr. olds could legally swill down copious quantities of 3.2 beer.

westofyou
01-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Really good, fresh, crusty Italian bread. (I didn't realize how spoiled I was. Syracuse has a large Italian population.)

Or how unlucky you were that Cincinnati doesn't have a bread tradition (and as a card carrying vegi, and bread fiend I can tell you they don't... not by a long stretch (point in case, my wife when we lived in San Francisco would bring a suitcase of round sourdough for Holiday meals)

Sweetstop
01-15-2007, 10:08 AM
We still have fireflies.

We have amazing fireflies in mid-summer. One of natures wonders that makes me happiest:) ...a clear summer night, the sky lit up with zillions of stars and our lower field lit up with thousands of fireflies. You can't tell where one ends and the other begins.

I lost my mother in 1962 and my father in 1989. Certain times, I still miss them terribly and always will.

westofyou
01-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
How about Red Barn. Any of those still around?

I haven't seen a Red Barn since the 70's... when they were all over Detroit.

http://www.angelfire.com/de2/detroitpix/RedBarn.jpg

rdiersin
01-15-2007, 10:21 AM

Have you tried the Breadsmith? I believe there is one in Montgomery. I know there is one in West Chester. They have several rustic breads, including a crusty Italian bread. Also, if you are a baker or interested in it, there is a book by Peter Reinhart that is very good called "The Bread Baker's Apprentice". I have been reading it, but haven't tried the bread formulas just yet (next weekend's project). However, I have heard very good things about it and I can say it has been interesting learning through it.

macro
01-15-2007, 12:05 PM
SKI Cola! That stuff was the best and I don't know where to get it anymore... I know that I'm not really old enough to talk about anything you guys are, so I thought I would say something that's gone away within the last 17 years.

Are you talking about the lemon-lime stuff with a healthy dose of caffeine? It's still around. It's headquartered in Chattanooga TN and still produced there, Evansville IN, and Huntsville AL. It's also distributed (not produced) from Bowling Green KY. I'm not sure how far they go out into Kentucky with it, but if you're ever in Kentucky, west of Interstate 65, chances are you'll find it in stores.

You may also be able to buy it from this Web site: http://www.double-cola.com/

dabvu2498
01-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Are you talking about the lemon-lime stuff with a healthy dose of caffeine? It's still around. It's headquartered in Chattanooga TN and still produced there, Evansville IN, and Huntsville AL. It's also distributed (not produced) from Bowling Green KY. I'm not sure how far they go out into Kentucky with it, but if you're ever in Kentucky, west of Interstate 65, chances are you'll find it in stores.

You may also be able to buy it from this Web site: http://www.double-cola.com/

I see SKI occaisionally in convenience stores in Butler County (usually rural ones).

Also on the topic of soft drinks from Kentucky (Hillbilly pop) is Ale-8-One, from Winchester. Coca Cola has taken over distributorship and it is now an easy find here in SWO. But it's no longer bottled in 16 ounce returnable bottles. Now it's the 12 ounce throw-aways or 20 ounce plastics, which sucks.

I liked it better when i just get it only if I was visiting the relatives.
http://www.ale8one.com/index.html

vaticanplum
01-15-2007, 12:25 PM
and Mr Softee?

mr. Softee is still a visible presence in most of New York City. Actually, he's the most irritating around. Do do do do do do DO do do do do do do do do do....ahhhh.....

Kool Man owns a good bit of Brooklyn turf though. He is much more polite. When the kids spot him and he stops the truck, he turns off his music until the crowd fades away, then turns it back on just long enough to get the kids' attention again.

I guess I miss getting excited about ice cream trucks rather than annoyed by them. Actually, that goes for a lot of things.

SunDeck
01-15-2007, 01:29 PM
http://theimaginaryworld.com/git216.jpg

I haven't seen this in a store for a long time. Can you still get it?
If our mom bought a box it would last about three hours.

SunDeck
01-15-2007, 01:32 PM
http://www.virtualtoychest.com/actionjackson/action_jackson_1_crop.jpg

Action Jackson- I had a butt load of stuff for him, too.

Yachtzee
01-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Or how unlucky you were that Cincinnati doesn't have a bread tradition (and as a card carrying vegi, and bread fiend I can tell you they don't... not by a long stretch (point in case, my wife when we lived in San Francisco would bring a suitcase of round sourdough for Holiday meals)

I suspect they used to. My great-grandparents allegedly owned a bakery in Over-The-Rhine, but lost it due to financial difficulties. In light of its rich brewing tradition (beer and bread often go hand-in-hand), I suspect Cincinnati was a good baking town probably up until the Great Depression. It's really a shame too. The German culture has such a strong bread baking tradition, but it seems like the US only knows about pretzels. I lived above a bakery in Austria and every other day I could go down and get a fresh loaf of Bauernbrot or Hausbrot that not only had all the whole grain nutrients that Americans seem to want these days, but it tasted like bread heaven. I could eat nothing but a few slices of that bread with a little butter and feel more satisfied than the stuff we Americans eat for lunch. Unfortunately, it seems the US is only fascinated with French and Italian white breads, and any attempts at making a nice whole grain bread end up tasting like cardboard.

westofyou
01-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately, it seems the US is only fascinated with French and Italian white breads, and any attempts at making a nice whole grain bread end up tasting like cardboard.

Breads big out here, I have a loaf of pumpernickel upstairs that is a meal in itself.

Here's one

http://www.grandcentralbakery.com/

http://www.pearlbakery.com/

http://www.pearlbakery.com/images/index.1.jpg

Dom Heffner
01-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I find myself not looking at the bread in that picture.

Red Leader
01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
I find myself not looking at the bread in that picture.

I keep hoping that it'll move....

things I miss:

Soda in glass bottles, particulary Sprite in the glass bottles with the dimples.
Burger Buddies at Burger King. 3 little hamburgers in one little tray.
Ting soda from Jamaica (made with real Jamaican grapefruit)
Swimming 1/2 the day in the summer time and playing baseball the other 1/2.
Not having to get up at dawn everyday.

Spring~Fields
01-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Hamburgers, seven for a dollar, and they actually tasted good, no need to pretend they were :)

TeamCasey
01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Quisp!

TeamCasey
01-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Mom and Pop diners

westofyou
01-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Quisp!

You can get Quisp.

But Not Quake or King Vitamin

http://theimaginaryworld.com/qwwisp03.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/box1260.jpg

Red in Chicago
01-15-2007, 06:23 PM
how about aluminum christmas trees...my grandma had one back in the day...my aunt still has it buried in her garage...i think they were selling for a pretty penny on ebay a year or two ago...i can still see the spinning red, blue, yellow and green light that she aimed at the tree to give it the different effects:laugh:

GAC
01-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Do you remember BBF?

Bordens. Started up here in Columbus (I think), along with Wendys.

Huntington still has a Frostop drive in.

Does it serve Frostop RB? The original Frostop stand wwas built up here in Springfield. It's been numerous other restaurants over the years, but I think it has finally been closed down. The root beer itself is still made/bottled over in Columbus. I buy several bottles of it once in awhile. IMO, the best RB ever. My kids hate it - say it's too sweet. They're hooked on crap like A&W and Mug (carbonated water).

LawFive
01-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Salad Strollers at Roy Rogers.

Roy Rogers in Mt Carmel is still there (I think it's the only one left anywhere), but alas, the strollers are no more. They had em up until a year or two ago.

GAC
01-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Hamburgers, seven for a dollar, and they actually tasted good, no need to pretend they were :)

Did you ever have any Crabills (Urbana)? The Dad startd the restaurant stand back in the 30's. It closed down in the late 70's and the building was torn down. You got 11 for a buck. They were a really small burger. He had a secret recipe (which many rumored he used in the grease). He'd have the hamburgers made up into little balls rady to go. And as people stood in line he'd point to you and you'd tell him how many. He'd then plop the balls intro the grease and flatten them out with the spatula. And you couldn't get ketchup. Brown mustard and relish only.

It closed down in the late 70's and the building torn down. The kids kept it going with a travelling stand that frequented fairs/flea markets. They finally built a new store out on Miami Street in the late 80's and it's still flourishing. It's built in the retro theme with the bar/stools and those 7 oz Cokes.

SunDeck
01-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Acropolis double deckers. Man, those things were six inches high.

Spring~Fields
01-16-2007, 01:29 AM
Did you ever have any Crabills (Urbana)? The Dad startd the restaurant stand back in the 30's. It closed down in the late 70's and the building was torn down. You got 11 for a buck. They were a really small burger. He had a secret recipe (which many rumored he used in the grease). He'd have the hamburgers made up into little balls rady to go. And as people stood in line he'd point to you and you'd tell him how many. He'd then plop the balls intro the grease and flatten them out with the spatula. And you couldn't get ketchup. Brown mustard and relish only.

It closed down in the late 70's and the building torn down. The kids kept it going with a travelling stand that frequented fairs/flea markets. They finally built a new store out on Miami Street in the late 80's and it's still flourishing. It's built in the retro theme with the bar/stools and those 7 oz Cokes.

Don't recall for sure, we went up to Urbana a lot when a kid, use to be a big treat to eat up there at various places. Though I do recall 7 regular hamburgers in a bag for a $1, late 50's - 60's.
5 cent bottle pop at Butlers Station in Harmony is another long gone.

RedsBaron
01-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Bordens. Started up here in Columbus (I think), along with Wendys.

Does it serve Frostop RB? The original Frostop stand wwas built up here in Springfield. It's been numerous other restaurants over the years, but I think it has finally been closed down. The root beer itself is still made/bottled over in Columbus. I buy several bottles of it once in awhile. IMO, the best RB ever. My kids hate it - say it's too sweet. They're hooked on crap like A&W and Mug (carbonated water).

I assume the Huntington Frostop serves Frostop root beer; I never asked. I haven't stopped at the drive-in in several years. I do recall liking the root beer, but it has been ages since I drank a non-diet soda of any kind.

GAC
01-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Don't recall for sure, we went up to Urbana a lot when a kid, use to be a big treat to eat up there at various places.

You probably ate at Ewings there in the square. On Sundays they use to be lined up around the corner to get into that place.

5 cent bottle pop at Butlers Station in Harmony is another long gone.

Between Jim's and my Grandma's Curly Top ice cream store right across the street, it's a wonder any of us kids had teeth from all the sweets. I use to work in the ice cream store in the summer. Never got paid much, but I took it out in food ate. ;)

Growing up, do you remember the TV shows Uncle Orrie and Ferdie Fussbudget out of Dayton? ;)

SunDeck
01-16-2007, 09:07 AM
http://www.larrysmithpuppets.com/bobshreve02.jpg

Bob Shreve and the PPP.

Dom Heffner
01-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Bob Shreve. Haven't seen that face in awhile.

I can't shop at King Kwik anymore. That was my baseball card source for a lot of years.

Roy Tucker
01-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Milk delivered to your house.

Gas pumped for you. Even checked the oil.

Driver's ed. taught at school.

registerthis
01-16-2007, 09:50 AM
and Mr Softee?

Mr. Softee looks a bit maniacal, like he's ready to leap off of the truck and take a bite out of the next kid that tries to order him.

westofyou
01-16-2007, 09:51 AM

The milk guy in Mariemont, used to walk in our back door, say hello and go to the fridge and stock it up with all the major dairy products.

When I was kid in Michigan a guy in a vegetable truck used to come to our house and deliver too, you'd go to the driveway and his truck was like a rolling produce counter.

Gas pumped for you.

It's the law here, you can't pump your own gas.

registerthis
01-16-2007, 09:51 AM
But Not Quake or King Vitamin

You can get King Vitamin in the Safeway stores out here.

though why you'd ever want to is another story...

registerthis
01-16-2007, 09:52 AM
The milk guy in Mariemont, used to walk in our back door, say hello and go to the fridge and stock it up with all the major dairy products.

When I was kid in Michigan a guy in a vegetable truck used to come to our house and deliver too, you'd go to the driveway and his truck was like a rolling produce counter.

Did you guys have an ice man?

Roy Tucker
01-16-2007, 10:02 AM

I'm old, but not that old.

Our milk man was like woy's. Just walk in the house, say hi, leave milk and eggs, and go. Nobody thought twice about it in those days.

If we weren't home, we had a milk box (insulated aluminum box) outside the front door that he left the milk in.

IIRC, we had a bread man too. Dry cleaning was delivered too.

My favorite were the tins of Charles Chips that also got delivered. A big ole can of Mike-Sell's-quality chips. I'd come home from school, settle down with an RC Cola and the can of chips and watch Captain Penny (this was in Cleveland).

westofyou
01-16-2007, 10:06 AM

No, we just lived in a working community before the corporate homogenization of america.

Sorry you missed it, it was nice... come out west someday, it's still like that a lot of places.

Now my father has stories about the ice man and the coal man.... that's how old he is.

westofyou
01-16-2007, 10:08 AM
My favorite were the tins of Charles Chips that also got delivered. A big ole can of Mike-Sell's-quality chips. I'd come home from school, settle down with an RC Cola and the can of chips and watch Captain Penny (this was in Cleveland).

We got some of those tins, pretzels too... and in Detroit we used to watch Captain Detroit spin teh cartoons.

How old are you?

If a clown or a guy pretending to be an astronaut introduced your cartoons then you're a boomer.

registerthis
01-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Now my father has stories about the ice man and the coal man.... that's how old he is.

There are houses in German Village in Columbus that have a coal repository.

westofyou
01-16-2007, 10:31 AM

My furnace is a converted coal furnace, there's a blocked up chute in the back of my basement.

timmario66
01-16-2007, 10:36 AM

My house built in 1946 in Madeira has a coal chute in the garage that goes does down to the basement. It's blocked off in the garage but the chute in the basement is a closet now.

15fan
01-16-2007, 11:05 AM
It's the law here, you can't pump your own gas.

Really? What's the rationale?

My kid loves going with me to gas up a car. While the pump is running, I'll squat down & hide around the exterior of the car. Kiddo gets a big kick out of it when I pop up around different parts of the car.

Is PDX trying repress clean, wholesome family fun with their burdensome laws? ;)

Johnny Footstool
01-16-2007, 11:14 AM

My kid loves going with me to gas up a car. While the pump is running, I'll squat down & hide around the exterior of the car. Kiddo gets a big kick out of it when I pop up around different parts of the car.

Is PDX trying repress clean, wholesome family fun with their burdensome laws? ;)

I imagine it's an environmental protection law -- to avoid spillage, gas may only be pumped by professionals highly trained in the field of gas pumping.

RFS62
01-16-2007, 11:15 AM

That way in Jersey too, last time I was there.

RFS62
01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
I'd come home from school, settle down with an RC Cola and the can of chips and watch Captain Penny (this was in Cleveland).

Yeah, I loved me some RC Cola back in the day. RC Cola and a Milky Way bar.... now that's living.

westofyou
01-16-2007, 11:29 AM
I imagine it's an environmental protection law -- to avoid spillage, gas may only be pumped by professionals highly trained in the field of gas pumping.

Nope, provides jobs.

That's the reason, in both Oregon and Jersey.

registerthis
01-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Nope, provides jobs.

Yessir.

Union work.

westofyou
01-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Yessir.

Union work.

I pumped gas for a year while in college.

It sucks.

NJReds
01-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Still is...you can't pump your own gas. Although Gov. Corzine has thought about repealing that law.

Spring~Fields
01-16-2007, 12:45 PM
You probably ate at Ewings there in the square. On Sundays they use to be lined up around the corner to get into that place.
Oh yes, everyone but me thought Ewings was top shelf. Just give me a coney and a rootbeer from the Frost Top and I was in heaven.

Between Jim's and my Grandma's Curly Top ice cream store right across the street, it's a wonder any of us kids had teeth from all the sweets. I use to work in the ice cream store in the summer. Never got paid much, but I took it out in food ate. ;)

Best barbecue sandwiches I’ve ever eaten to this day. I know everyone has a different taste for what is “good barbecue” to them, but to me, hers was the best, I never have been able to find that exact flavor since those days. On a really good day I could get the adults to spring for multiple trips back for another and another of her barbecue sandwiches.

Growing up, do you remember the TV shows Uncle Orrie and Ferdie Fussbudget out of Dayton? ;)

I recall "Uncle Orrie", barely. I do recall Amos n Andy.

SunDeck
01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
My house in Westwood still had the box cut into the brick wall where the guy from French Bauer would put your milk and eggs. When I was a kid, we had milk delivered in those heavy as hell and slippery as a snake glass bottles. How many of those did I break? About a half dozen.

Other things I miss:
Gutters on cars. I liked driving with my the fingers of my left hand hooked on to the gutters. And speaking of cars, was there anything cooler cozy wings? And I miss full size spare tires. Those mountain bike tires you're supposed to use are the pits.

Monkey bars. How on earth is a kid supposed to learn how to climb on the things they put in playgrounds today. And I'll also mention the thing that spins around a hundred times that your older brother pushes so long that you throw up. Man, it was cool.

Does the Rotor still exist? Talk about things that make you byork, the rotor was the best ever.

Gallons of beer from the corner tavern. And 14-K.

Lastly, this is not totally gone, but it will be soon- real service at a hardware store. Once at Small's, I needed a new valve for my washing machine. They didn't have one that fit, so the owner retapped mine. For nothing. Try getting that done at Home Despot.

vaticanplum
01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Nope, provides jobs.

Yeah...and it still is law in Jersey for those who asked. I know people who grew up in New jersey who have never pumped gas and don't know how.

There used to be gutters on cars?

minus5
01-16-2007, 02:05 PM
http://www.larrysmithpuppets.com/bobshreve02.jpg

Bob Shreve and the PPP.

www.bobshreve.com

There is streaming video of one of Bob's New Years Eve shows on there now.

I miss him along with all of the other local TV hosts.

I miss Kresge's 5&10 stores. I miss all the other five & dimes as well, especially the small hometown ones.

Just like Dom & a few others I miss my dad like crazy.

I miss when summer seemed to last and last and last.

I miss variety shows. Evenings with Carol Burnett and Dean Martin are sorely missed.

minus5
01-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Gallons of beer from the corner tavern. And 14-K.

Now you're talkin'! My dad would have a glass jug sitting next to his chair he would pour from. He used to send my brother and I up to the cafe two blocks away for refills....my brother was probably 16 and I was 5 at the time.

Handofdeath
01-16-2007, 03:03 PM

Marathon bars were very chewy. They were very aptly named. They also made a lot of dentists very rich. They were so chewy they would literally take the fillings right out of your mouth. I kid you not. I lost at least 3 or 4 that way. John Wayne's son Patrick used to do the commercials for them.

pedro
01-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Now you're talkin'! My dad would have a glass jug sitting next to his chair he would pour from. He used to send my brother and I up to the cafe two blocks away for refills....my brother was probably 16 and I was 5 at the time.

There a brew pub down the street from my house and I often go there and get a mason jar filled up for 4 bucks.

Yachtzee
01-16-2007, 03:11 PM
There a brew pub down the street from my house and I often go there and get a mason jar filled up for 4 bucks.

During the brewpub boom of the early to mid '90s, a lot of places sold "growlers," which you could use to take home beer they sold on tap. It was especially nice if the brewpub didn't bottle its beer for carry-out/off-premise sale.

westofyou
01-16-2007, 03:13 PM
During the brewpub boom of the early to mid '90s, a lot of places sold "growlers," which you could use to take home beer they sold on tap. It was especially nice if the brewpub didn't bottle its beer for carry-out/off-premise sale.

Got a couple on the shelf

pedro
01-16-2007, 03:13 PM

yeah, there's a couple of places that sell growlers too.

for those of you who have never seen a growler. They look like this

http://www.centralcitybrewing.com/images/Growler%20sm.gif

SunDeck
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
There used to be gutters on cars?

Yep. Like the ones on this Veewee:

http://www.wetsand.com/images/250x200Article_Africa.jpg

Of course, now they are incorporated into the roof and door.

Sweetstop
01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
I miss watching American Bandstand. God bless Dick Clark. This is the early, black and white tv years. In 6th grade (age 11, 1959) a friend and I would go to one another's house every day after school, plop down on the floor in front of the set and look to see if our favorite regulars (like Frannie, Carmen, etc.) were there, and who they were dancing with. Besides hearing our favorite records, there was always a terrific musical guest, rating of new songs (I give it a 85, It's easy to dance to) and dance contests. I watched every moment and was hooked all the way thru high school.

15fan
01-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Nope, provides jobs.

So...jobs for the sake of jobs. That sounds downright...French.

What's interesting, though, is the impact on the average price of a gallon of gas. I'd have assumed that the OR & NJ laws would have the result of making each state among the most expensive in the nation with respect to the price of a gallon of gas. Not so, at least according to this site:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/gasprices/index.html

Oregon is the 2nd most expensive state for diesel, #4 for 87 octane, and #6 for 89 octane.

But NJ is the cheapest for regular and premium, and 2nd least expensive for midgrade.

So I guess the only thing I can conclude is that you tree-hugging hippies in the NW tax the daylights out of gas. ;)

dsmith421
01-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Also, I don't know if it's true in Oregon, but here in Northern Nevada you can often get Coke and Pepsi imported from Mexico that is made with real sugar at hole-in-the-wall taquerias and burrito places.

NJReds
01-16-2007, 03:51 PM
But NJ is the cheapest for regular and premium, and 2nd least expensive for midgrade.

NJ has one of the lowest tax rates on gas in the nation. There has been much talk about raising it, however it's also seen as political suicide, and no politician has had the guts to push very far on the issue.

westofyou
01-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Also, I don't know if it's true in Oregon, but here in Northern Nevada you can often get Coke and Pepsi imported from Mexico that is made with real sugar at hole-in-the-wall taquerias and burrito places.

Yep, all the Mercados have them as well

pedro
01-16-2007, 03:59 PM
So I guess the only thing I can conclude is that you tree-hugging hippies in the NW tax the daylights out of gas. ;)

a lot of us don't drive much either. Although I'm not one of those you'll find riding their bike at night, in the winter, in the rain. Surprising how many do though....

westofyou
01-16-2007, 04:13 PM
a lot of us don't drive much either. Although I'm not one of those you'll find riding their bike at night, in the winter, in the rain. Surprising how many do though....
As far as gas tax goes 42% here and 30% in Georgia, and we both know Georgia lags way behind the rest of the free world in limiting growth and pollution.

Red Leader
01-16-2007, 04:13 PM

Lots of "wookies" in the NW...

creek14
01-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I miss the headlight dimmer on the floor.

westofyou
01-16-2007, 09:58 PM

And good AM radio and being able to change your oil in 1/2 an hour in your driveway.

GAC
01-17-2007, 05:15 AM
And good AM radio and being able to change your oil in 1/2 an hour in your driveway.

Or even doing a basic tuneup on your car anymore. You pop the hood - the engine is in sideways and you can't find anything. It use to be that when you looked down into the engine compartment you could see the ground underneath. Not any more.

GAC
01-17-2007, 05:16 AM
Can you still get a DQ Mr Misty? You can't at the DQs around here.

GAC
01-17-2007, 06:09 AM

And it came in glass bottles. My Mom still has the milk box from 45+ years ago.

Did anyone ever get Mr Chip potato chips (in a big tin) delivered to your house?

Dog N Suds. The RB wasn't that great, but I loved their footlong coneys. They still exist in isolated locations in the midwest. Two of the original buildings exist here, but they are pizza places.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/9/99/250px-DOGNSUDSGRAYSLAKE.JPG

RANDY IN INDY
01-17-2007, 07:36 AM

Me too, creek. :beerme:

OldRightHander
01-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Yep, and right after they changed to the way it is now accident rates went way up from all the morons getting their feet stuck in the steering wheel.

Highlifeman21
01-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Crystal Pepsi.

Pretty tasty beverage, debuted during a Super Bowl IIRC with Van Halen's "Right Now" as the pitch song.

Highlifeman21
01-21-2007, 09:43 AM

Everywhere in NJ, they pump it for you, and expect a tip.

If I can't pump my own, why the heck should I tip you for just doing your job?

redsmetz
01-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm late to the conversation, but I miss Dr. Pepper in real, light green glass bottles which are icy cold. Oh my! One of the first things I'm having when I get to heaven.

I miss my one Grandma's apple kuchen coffee cake and her honest to goodness chocolate chip cookies. The other I miss her potato soup and her goetta and the parties at her house with the 50 cousins! Pure insanity.

Yachtzee
01-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Everywhere in NJ, they pump it for you, and expect a tip.

If I can't pump my own, why the heck should I tip you for just doing your job?

Maybe if they clean the windows and check the oil for you. But just sticking the nozzle in there and filling up the tank? I don't know. Do you know if they have the latches that hold the pump trigger open so that the guy doesn't have to hold it while he pumps?

By the way, why is it that the trigger latches are so common in Ohio, but not in other states? Are they somehow against the law?

Highlifeman21
01-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Maybe if they clean the windows and check the oil for you. But just sticking the nozzle in there and filling up the tank? I don't know. Do you know if they have the latches that hold the pump trigger open so that the guy doesn't have to hold it while he pumps?

By the way, why is it that the trigger latches are so common in Ohio, but not in other states? Are they somehow against the law?

Only on the AC expressway have I ever had any type of window washing while being fueled, so I tipped the gal.

I pumped my own gas in Palmyra, NJ only b/c it was swamped at that service station at the time, and the pump did have a trigger latch. I can't speak for the rest of NJ service stations as that's the only one I've operated.

As for trigger latches, down here in FL it seems to be a chain by chain basis. The bigger names have them, the smaller name stations do not.

----------------------

I miss Aladdin's Castle in both the Tri County and Eastgate malls.

I also miss Malibu Grand Prix, in Sharonville and also Columbus.