PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo signs Claussen

Phhhl
01-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Bet he does a good job in that park. Extremely stupid move to just release him like that.

Phhhl
01-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Nationals signed LHP Brandon Claussen to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

A very good pickup for a team desperately in need of starting pitching depth. Claussen isn't expected to be ready to contend for a rotation spot this spring, but if he can overcome August surgery to repair a partial rotator cuff tear, he could become one of the Nationals' top starters by midseason.

NJReds
01-12-2007, 12:16 PM
It's amazing how a team with so little pitching depth lets a guy like that away for nothing, while at the same time keeping fodder like Chad Moeller on the roster.

jmcclain19
01-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Stupid move by the Reds, especially considering how pitching starved the team is.

According to Baseball Prospectus, Claussen was the 11th unluckiest pitcher in the NL last year.

I think he'll have a nice bounce year in 2008 for the Nats.

Hoosier Red
01-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Can we please dispense with the myth that pitchers who give up a lot of home runs are magically going to be better pitchers in a big ball park.

No they won't.
The big ball park means those home runs are going to be doubles(good). It also means many fly outs in the old stadium are going to be base hits(bad) also many singles are going to turn into doubles and doubles into triples(also bad.)

There's also the other matter of facing the guy on the other team. If a pitcher gave up less home runs in Cincinnati, my guess is he'd also give up less home runs in Washington.

The only place this doesn't apply is Colorado where prior to the humidor it was a pitchers nightmare with the huge field and easy home run distance.

paulrichjr
01-12-2007, 12:37 PM
It's amazing how a team with so little pitching depth lets a guy like that away for nothing, while at the same time keeping fodder like Chad Moeller on the roster.

WayneK makes another move that leaves people scratching their heads. Does JimBo like the Reds GM or what.

RANDY IN INDY
01-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Is Claussen injury free and ready to play at this point?

Heath
01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Is Claussen injury free and ready to play at this point?

As long as Claussen has the Wang Chung Fastball*, no ball park is going to hold what he tosses up there.

Good point Randy - per and as usual.

*Copyrighted 2006 Johnny Footstool, Inc. All Rights reserved. Void in Vermont.

Johnny Footstool
01-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Id drive a million miles
To be with you tonight
So if youre feeling low
Turn up your radio
The words we use are strong
They make reality
But now the musics on
Oh baby dance with me

Rip it up - move down
Rip it up - move it down to the ground
Rip it up - cool down
Rip it up - and get the feeling not the word

Oh everybody have fun tonight
Everybody have fun tonight
Everybody wang chung tonight
Everybody have fun tonight
Everybody wang chung tonight
Everybody have fun

Jpup
01-12-2007, 01:00 PM
It's really funny how that GM in Washington can't get over sticking it to the Reds. He'll pick up any scraps the Reds give him. He has yet to make any lemonade from those lemons though.

Good luck to Brandon, I really enjoyed him as a Red even though I don't think he came close to his potential. I always remember that great game he pitched against Philly at home last year when I was there. Ryan Howard was the only blemish on a great outing.

Krusty
01-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Claussen won't be ready till midseason as he recuperates from rotator cuff surgery.

Danny Serafini
01-12-2007, 01:18 PM
At this point Claussen is a younger Paul Wilson, in my opinion. The first major arm surgery already robbed him of a lot of his stuff, I doubt the second one is going to suddenly bring it back. I'm afraid his tank is just about empty.

Phhhl
01-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Can we please dispense with the myth that pitchers who give up a lot of home runs are magically going to be better pitchers in a big ball park.

No they won't.
The big ball park means those home runs are going to be doubles(good). It also means many fly outs in the old stadium are going to be base hits(bad) also many singles are going to turn into doubles and doubles into triples(also bad.)

There's also the other matter of facing the guy on the other team. If a pitcher gave up less home runs in Cincinnati, my guess is he'd also give up less home runs in Washington.

The only place this doesn't apply is Colorado where prior to the humidor it was a pitchers nightmare with the huge field and easy home run distance.

Ok, but he'd probably do ok in THIS park too. I can't imagine why Krivsky would just give him away like that. I was hoping he'd somehow end up back here this spring.

RANDY IN INDY
01-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Claussen had plenty of chances in Cincinnati. It wasn't working out, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the Reds don't feel good about his recovery. Sometimes a guy has to have a certain makeup to come back from arm surgery and really want it. I don't think they see that in Claussen.

RedFanAlways1966
01-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Good luck to Brandon. Seems like a decent guy. However, as a REDS diehard I will not miss him.

3 years in Cincy as a starter (57 GS)...
5.14 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, 1BB:1.85K ratio.

3 years with that composite is long enough... ask Eric Milton!

Jpup
01-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Good luck to Brandon. Seems like a decent guy. However, as a REDS diehard I will not miss him.

3 years in Cincy as a starter (57 GS)...
5.14 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, 1BB:1.85K ratio.

3 years with that composite is long enough... ask Eric Milton!

that's about average for a #5 starter these days.

deltachi8
01-12-2007, 02:22 PM
At this point Claussen is a younger Paul Wilson, in my opinion. The first major arm surgery already robbed him of a lot of his stuff, I doubt the second one is going to suddenly bring it back. I'm afraid his tank is just about empty.

I agree with you. I liked BC but I think his arm is probably shot.

RedLegSuperStar
01-12-2007, 02:31 PM
That was a oddball move by Krivsky.. hope it don't bite us in the bud.

IslandRed
01-12-2007, 02:43 PM
He was non-tendered a month ago, so the only new information here is the identity of the team that will pay Claussen to rehab.

dfs
01-12-2007, 03:37 PM
It's really funny how that GM in Washington can't get over sticking it to the Reds. He'll pick up any scraps the Reds give him.

I think more than him "sticking it to the reds" It's a matter that he places more value on those players than many people in baseball do. It's fairly common and one of the things we didn't like about Dan O. He had "his" guys.

RedFanAlways1966
01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
that's about average for a #5 starter these days.

Yep... too bad he was pegged as the REDS #3 last season (a sign of the times). And I guess that his 6.19 ERA last year didn't help matters. You only get away with that if: (a) your name is Eric -and- (2) you have two years left on your overpriced (for a small mkt. team) contract.

Hubba
01-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Bet he does a good job in that park. Extremely stupid move to just release him like that.
The best that he could do was sign a minor league contract and it took over a month to get that. No one in baseball wanted him but Bowden.Think about it for a while. Most pitchers don't come back from rotater cuff surgery. Oh well.

Johnny Footstool
01-12-2007, 04:58 PM
The best that he could do was sign a minor league contract and it took over a month to get that. No one in baseball wanted him but Bowden.Think about it for a while. Most pitchers don't come back from rotater cuff surgery. Oh well.

Nobody wanted him, or nobody wanted him as badly as Bowden? Those are two different things.

Ravenlord
01-12-2007, 05:02 PM
At this point Claussen is a younger Paul Wilson, in my opinion. interesting comparison. Claussen and Wilson through their age 27 seasons.

Person Level ERA IP BB/9 K/9 H/9 HR/9 WHIP
Wilson Minors 3.31 440.1 2.45 8.16 8.01 0.47 1.16
Clauss Minors 3.52 749 3.28 9.07 8.09 0.61 1.26
Wilson Majors 4.86 200 3.92 6.71 8.78 0.72 1.41
Clauss Majors 5.04 316 3.45 6.49 10.22 1.37 1.52

IslandRed
01-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Nobody wanted him, or nobody wanted him as badly as Bowden? Those are two different things.

There might have been other teams interested, but if he's taking a NRI it suggests no one was putting any guarantees on the table. It's not really about a GM "winning" Claussen so much as Claussen deciding Washington is where the best opportunity is. And that's hard to argue, their rotation being as wide open as it is.

Aronchis
01-12-2007, 05:45 PM
It wasn't the first surgury(TJ) that robbed him of his stuff, it was his 2nd, because that shoulder injury had been in progress for awhile. I think Flyer's report of 2003 Claussen post-TJ starts in AAA vs. what we saw in 2004 was enough said for the progression. The dude was very lucky 2005 and the shoulder injury really hurt him in 2006.

Why cry over something that never was? The dude is Paul Wilson to a crossed t.

Bowden has had love for him for years.

MrCinatit
01-12-2007, 06:37 PM
I find it impossible to get upset over this move.

IslandRed
01-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Bowden has had love for him for years.

I'll have to take your word for it. Claussen wasn't a Bowden acquisition. (Until now.)

Hubba
01-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Nobody wanted him, or nobody wanted him as badly as Bowden? Those are two different things. Whatever :rolleyes: You say.

GAC
01-12-2007, 08:12 PM
but if he can overcome August surgery to repair a partial rotator cuff tear, he could become one of the Nationals' top starters by midseason.

Their rotation is in that bad of shape? :evil:

Crosley68
01-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Nothing to see here....keep moving. Washington has probably the worst projected starting pitching in MLB for '07. This is grasping at straws.

Redsland
01-12-2007, 08:56 PM
I find it impossible to get upset over this move.
Ditto.

vaticanplum
01-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I think Claussen stands a fair chance of pitching well at some point. Letting him go was still a very legitimate chance to take by the Reds.

pedro
01-12-2007, 09:08 PM
I think he's toast.

Too bad because at one point Claussen had some serious talent.

Redsland
01-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Brandon Claussen is Jim Bowden's most recent Steve Avery.

Aronchis
01-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I'll have to take your word for it. Claussen wasn't a Bowden acquisition. (Until now.)

Bowden wanted him when he was with the Reds. He offered, Boone/Casey ete ete over and over again, but the Yankees said no. When Claussen got injured and he came back, the Yankees parted with him for Boone. No surprise, as they probably got a look at his whole arm yuck.

No surprise Jimbo's ex-patriots made the move.

Highlifeman21
01-13-2007, 10:24 AM
It's really funny how that GM in Washington can't get over sticking it to the Reds. He'll pick up any scraps the Reds give him. He has yet to make any lemonade from those lemons though.

Good luck to Brandon, I really enjoyed him as a Red even though I don't think he came close to his potential. I always remember that great game he pitched against Philly at home last year when I was there. Ryan Howard was the only blemish on a great outing.

Kinda like that GM in Cincy that gobbles up anything Ex-Minnesota.

jimbo
01-13-2007, 02:22 PM
If Claussen had the mentality and guts like Paul Wilson has, I would have been all for keeping him and giving him another chance. I have to wonder about any pitcher who admits to the media that he "pitched scared." Claussen has all of the physical tools but he has always lacked that certain mentality to take his game to the next level. The Nationals can have him.