PDA

View Full Version : ATMs - Observations

RedFanAlways1966
01-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Most of us (all of us?) have used ATMs to do banking. I live on them. I am kind of old-fashioned... no debit card (just use cash) for non-internet purchases. They don't have have business hours and do not require you to fill out a slip to make a withdrawal. They have also advanced in technology (touch screens) and reside well in our face-paced society.

* Remember when there used to not be any drive-up ATMs? Back in the day you used to park your car and walk up to the ATM. Most were located in the lobby of your bank or were in the front wall of your bank. The only ones like this now seem to be in a shopping mall or located in a large corporation.

* Ever notice all the paint marks on the drive-up ATMs? I have used drive-up ATMs for quite some time and can honestly say that I have never hit my side mirror on an ATM. That must be a real bummer. I guess these people end up getting the maximum amount out to pay for the damages to the car. Ouch!

* Remember (showing my age again) when the minimum withdrawal amount was $5? Nowadays you have to take out at least $20. Of course what can you possibly need ONLY $5 for these days?

* Do you want a receipt? This used to not be an option. You got a receipt. Why wouldn't you want a receipt? Can they be used by a thief to ripoff your account, do people litter with them too much or is the bank trying to save a $.01 by hoping someone will not want it?

* Some younger folks might not know what the letters ATM mean. Automated Teller Machine. My stepson likes to call it an ATM machine. He doesn't realize the redundancy in this term... Automated Teller Machine machine.

* Did the ATM cause a decrease in the number of bank teller jobs? I used to go into a bank to do my business. Of course that was before the direct deposit days too. I probably physically go into a bank these days once or twice a year. Mostly b/c of the direct deposit thing and the ATM. In the old days people knew their bank workers. Now they know how to use their ATM with their eyes closed and have no idea who those peole are in the building called the bank.

* Ever found anything at your ATM? I have twice found a $20 bill. Once it was on the ground and another time it was in the money slot (before they had a door that opened and closed on the money slot). Another time I found that the person before me left too soon... the machine asked me if I'd like another transaction. I was confused at first and then realized the last person must have grabbed their money and took off before answering no and grabbing their card. Devious thoughts entered my mind (make a free withdrawal!) momentarily and then decency took over. I hit no and promptly took the ATM card inside to the bank personnel.

Matt700wlw
01-13-2007, 03:10 PM
I always wondered why there was braile on a DRIVE-UP ATM....

...uh...hello?

:)

RedsManRick
01-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Why would I want receipt? In this age of online banking, I don't need to carry around a little slip of paper that says how much money I have. If I need to know how much cash is in my wallet, I'll look. If I need to know how much is in my account, it's about 4 clicks away. The piece of paper simply serves no purpose -- other than for the person behind me to see that I just took out 200 bucks so they know they should come rob me.

UKFlounder
01-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Actually my stupid bank does not have a drive up ATM nearby. The one at the local branch makes you drive up to it, but you then have to get out of your car to get to it.

I do remember when you could get $5 and I wish that was still the case. I occasionally want $15 or $25, but all withdrawals have to be base on amounts of $10. That's nothing major, but a bit annoying.

I like the option of not getting a receipt.

"ATM machine" is like "PIN Number" - I guess people just don't think about what they're saying.

KronoRed
01-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Actually my stupid bank does not have a drive up ATM nearby. The one at the local branch makes you drive up to it, but you then have to get out of your car to get to it.

The National City in Bellevue is like that, maybe someone with really long arms could reach it :laugh:

RedFanAlways1966
01-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Why would I want receipt?The piece of paper simply serves no purpose --

I guess it is a quick and easy way for me to get a feel for how much my wife is spending! :devil:

UKFlounder
01-13-2007, 04:12 PM
The National City in Bellevue is like that, maybe someone with really long arms could reach it :laugh:

That's the exact one I'm talking about.

remdog
01-13-2007, 04:14 PM
IIRC, Cincinnati was in the forefront of the ATM rollout. I was told it was one of the early cities to get the technology because it was a good size to test how well the concept would be accepted and it had the right demographics.

Imagine my astonishment upon moving to LA in '79 and finding that many of the banks here did not have ATMs and some of their employees didn't even know what they were! :laugh:

Rem

Red in Chicago
01-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I have never used an ATM before. I don't have a debit card and actually have never had a desire for one. I have two credit cards, neither of which do I know the PIN's for. I realize this is antiquated, but each Friday I go to the bank and write myself a check for the upcoming week's expenses. I have enough extra cash laying around the house, if something comes up. I pay cash for virtually everything, gas, food, clothes, etc.

Yachtzee
01-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I have never used an ATM before. I don't have a debit card and actually have never had a desire for one. I have two credit cards, neither of which do I know the PIN's for. I realize this is antiquated, but each Friday I go to the bank and write myself a check for the upcoming week's expenses. I have enough extra cash laying around the house, if something comes up. I pay cash for virtually everything, gas, food, clothes, etc.

You mean you actually have a bank in Chicago that lets you do that? When I lived there, my bank had gotten rid of the tellers at all of its locations and replaced them with ATMs. The branches had customer service reps, loan officers, and investment planners, but no actual tellers. Just a row of ATMs.

vaticanplum
01-13-2007, 07:23 PM

That's very smart. You're forced to plan for expenses in advance and you're aware of exactly how much you're spending.

The receipt thing -- I never get one either. If there's an option in my life to avoid getting something that will end up in the garbage, I take it. Think of how many hundreds of thousands of receipts those machines spit out in a day across the country and I'd be willing to bet most of them don't get recycled. these are little things that make a huge difference in waste level and the environment.

I always know the ATMs in any area I live which allow you to take out less than $20 if you hit the "other amount" option. Some allow ten dollar increments...there was one by my college that allowed you to take out as little as $5. Came in very handy when I had seven, eight bucks in my account.

GAC
01-13-2007, 09:06 PM
ATM fees are pure baloney. They say it's to cover "administrative" fees. Isn't that an employee's job to begin with? What a way for banks to make the mullah! It's robbery.

macro
01-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Why would I want receipt? In this age of online banking, I don't need to carry around a little slip of paper that says how much money I have. If I need to know how much cash is in my wallet, I'll look. If I need to know how much is in my account, it's about 4 clicks away. The piece of paper simply serves no purpose -- other than for the person behind me to see that I just took out 200 bucks so they know they should come rob me.

I keep them and take them home as a reminder to deduct that amount of money from the checkbook register. When I got my first debit card almost twenty years ago, I made the mistake of failing to properly keep up with how much I was withdrawing. Funds were tight in those days, and I overdrew on six checks. They hit me up for $90. Lesson learned.

I also take the receipts for the comfort of knowing that the system actually recorded the correct withdrawal amount. Am I being paranoid or at least overly cautious?

cincyinco
01-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Okay, so I met a couple friends up from Wisconsin, who say ATM stands for "A Time Machine" - because it tells time.. heh. They said everyones call them that up there.. true? or were they yankin' my chain?

acredsfan
01-14-2007, 01:07 AM
I actually work at a credit union. I use my debit card all the time, but rarely at atms. I work in clifton so I carry as little cash as possible. We used to have a drive up atm at our drive thru which is actually located across the street, but too many times people would stand at the side of the building and walk up as someone was withdrawaling from the ATM and rob them. So now we have two ATMs at the main branch. One outside where you can park beside it and walk up to it. It is actually in the open by campus so there is a lot of traffic during the day. The other one you can get to by swiping your card at the door to the main building after hours and you can make sure you are the only one around and you are locked in securely. A lot of people do that at night.

Yachtzee
01-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Has anyone else had experience with the old "Jeannie" brand ATMs? We used to have a couple at the 5/3 branches up here and I know they were around for a long time because I remember them originally back in the '80s when I banked at First National of Akron. I loved how it talked back to you with that female voice with an English accent...."Please wait while your trans-ACT-shun is being PRO-cessed." Unfortunately, they recently modernized the ATMs at those branches and replaced them with non-talking ATMs.

RedsManRick
01-14-2007, 03:27 AM
I keep them and take them home as a reminder to deduct that amount of money from the checkbook register. When I got my first debit card almost twenty years ago, I made the mistake of failing to properly keep up with how much I was withdrawing. Funds were tight in those days, and I overdrew on six checks. They hit me up for $90. Lesson learned.

I also take the receipts for the comfort of knowing that the system actually recorded the correct withdrawal amount. Am I being paranoid or at least overly cautious?

Ah, I guess growing up in the electronic age, I never was forced to actually keep my checkbook balanced. I actually don't write checks for anything other than my rent and utilities, everything else goes on my debit card. (no credit cards for me).

I'm live pretty frugally and have a decent nest egg I've building up. I keep more than enough to pay my bills and entertain (I'm a cheap date) and I check my balance regularly so I'm conscious of about how much I have. I couldn't take enough money out of the ATM at one time for it to be a problem. A receipt is a just another piece of trash in my wallet.

RedsManRick
01-14-2007, 03:31 AM
Okay, so I met a couple friends up from Wisconsin, who say ATM stands for "A Time Machine" - because it tells time.. heh. They said everyones call them that up there.. true? or were they yankin' my chain?

They're half pulling your change. They are called "Time Machines" but it's actually "Tyme" machine -- that's the brand of ATM (at least in Madison). I think it stands for take your money anywhere.

Heh, just found a wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyme.

NJReds
01-14-2007, 09:26 AM
ATM fees are pure baloney. They say it's to cover "administrative" fees. Isn't that an employee's job to begin with? What a way for banks to make the mullah! It's robbery.

My bank now refunds all fees charged by 'foreign' ATMs. I suspect that if that marketing ploy works, other banks will follow.

dman
01-14-2007, 09:52 AM
I used an ATM up at Cleveland Clinic last week that actually did not charge a service fee for me using it since I wasn't a customer of that particular bank.

Tony Cloninger
01-14-2007, 10:04 AM
So they test run ATM's in Cincy?

That's interesting .... and it leads me to the questions as to why they consider Cincy, a town to test things on......I ask that beacuse in late 1970 or early 1971..... Plymouth sent their future Cuda designs that would start in 1875, after the 1970-74 E bodies were done running their course.

The cars had hidden headlights......a more sleek, lowered racing car look.
Very nice, IMO.

Well it bombed in Cincy and it helped Plymouth make the decision (gas prices...car insurance rates going way up also contributed) not to keep the line going.

I guess they figured that Cincy being such a conservative town...that if it played well there...it would play well anywhere.

Yachtzee
01-14-2007, 11:32 AM
So they test run ATM's in Cincy?

That's interesting .... and it leads me to the questions as to why they consider Cincy, a town to test things on......I ask that beacuse in late 1970 or early 1971..... Plymouth sent their future Cuda designs that would start in 1875, after the 1970-74 E bodies were done running their course.

The cars had hidden headlights......a more sleek, lowered racing car look.
Very nice, IMO.

Well it bombed in Cincy and it helped Plymouth make the decision (gas prices...car insurance rates going way up also contributed) not to keep the line going.

I guess they figured that Cincy being such a conservative town...that if it played well there...it would play well anywhere.

I think a lot of companies like to test run things in the Midwest. Time Warner Cable has used the Akron area as a test market for a lot of their new offerings. I would suspect that they look for a sizeable, but not-too-large city with a good demographic mix (not too young, not too old).

creek14
01-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I remember back in the late 60's/early 70's when my dad told me about this new machine they were developing at work (NCR) that would give you money when you inserted a card. I thought he was crazy. He also old me that there would soon be a day when your paycheck went straight into the bank from your employer and everyone would pay with credit cards and never really touch cash.

Seems it's all pretty much come true. Except for Red in Chicago. :)

KronoRed
01-14-2007, 02:11 PM
I long for the day everything is electronic, cash is filthy! ;)

vaticanplum
01-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Commerce Bank (NY/NJ/PA) not only doesn't charge you for using other ATMs, but refunds up to $5 a month of what other ATMs charge you. (Don't know what their policy is regarding other banks' customers using their own ATMs.) God I miss Commerce Bank. The guy who ran it went on the policy that banks should be as user-friendly as fast food restaurants. They're open late, they're open on Sunday, there are no fees or minimum balances for a checking account...I had both a checking and savings account there and they were utterly delightful. They spread like wildfire; I'm hoping they go national at some point.

Washington Mutual used to be pretty good about fees but I think they've changed that. They have other evil practices too.

gonelong
01-14-2007, 02:35 PM

From what I understand the Dayton/Cincy area is considered an excellent testbed for new products/services because it closely resembles the USA in terms of social, educational, and econimic climates. A good cross section of races, religions, and rich/middle class/poor.

GL