PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Red back in majors (maybe)

Mainspark
01-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Per Rotoworld:

Red Sox signed outfielder Alex Ochoa to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Ochoa, 34, will give the majors another try after hitting .283/.350/.445 in four seasons in Japan. Interestingly, he was the player the Chunichi Dragons signed in 2003 after the Kevin Millar fiasco with the Red Sox. Ochoa is a .279/.344/.422 hitter in 2,107 at-bats as a major leaguer, but since he's clearly on the decline now, he's a fifth outfielder at best. The Red Sox shouldn't have need of him.

I once saw this guy hit the first of back-to-back homers in the bottom of the eighth (I believe Chris Stynes was the other) to tie and go ahead of the Astros at Riverfront/Cinergy

Redsland
01-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Great, great guy. It's good to see him back.

TeamBoone
01-13-2007, 11:27 PM
I could never figure out why he didn't make it (except in Japan). Thought he did a decent job at the time.

Trivia: Barry Larkin was best man at his wedding, which is why they both missed RedsFest that year (but I can't remember the year).

redsfan30
01-16-2007, 03:00 PM
I could never figure out why he didn't make it (except in Japan). Thought he did a decent job at the time.

Trivia: Barry Larkin was best man at his wedding, which is why they both missed RedsFest that year (but I can't remember the year).

Winter of 2000 I believe.