PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Police to reunite for 30th Anniversary Tour

NJReds
01-15-2007, 11:52 AM
They were one of my favorite bands growing up, but I never got to see them live. I'd rather hear some new stuff from them, but I doubt they could get through a studio session without killing each other.

Rumors swirl about possible Police reunion
Source says talks underway for 2007 tour of U.S., Britain
By Jonathan Cohen - Billboard

NEW YORK - Rumors are swirling that the Police will reunite for 2007 dates in England and the United States, which would be the rock trio’s first since disbanding in 1986.

Sources told Billboard.com the reports — in the British press — were legitimate, but they would not publicly comment until final details are nearer to completion.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the release of “Roxanne,” the single that broke the Police in the United States.

“Discussions have been underway as to how this will be commemorated,” reads a post on Sting’s Web site (http://www.sting.com) attributed to a spokesperson at the band’s A&M Records label. “While we can confirm that there will indeed be something special done to mark the occasion, the depth of the band’s involvement still remains undetermined.”

Sources say in addition to DVD releases, A&M is planning another multi-disc collection in the vein of 1993’s “Message in a Box,” which featured the band’s complete studio recordings and a handful of rarities.

A Police reunion has been the concert industry’s dream for two decades, as it is believed the band could play stadiums internationally should it choose to reunite. But besides an impromptu set at Sting’s 1992 wedding to Trudie Styler, the Police’s only other post-breakup performance was in celebration of its 2003 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

And while Sting has repeatedly expressed reluctance at reuniting, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers have kept the flame alive. This summer, Summers told Billboard he was certain the group could have continued past its 1983 commercial peak with “Synchronicity.”

“The more rational approach would have been, ‘OK, Sting, go make a solo record, and let’s get back together in two or three years,”’ he said. “I’m certain we could have done that. Of course we could have. We were definitely not in a creative dry space. We could have easily carried on, and we could probably still be there. That wasn’t to be our fate. It went in another way. I regret we never paid it off with a last tour.”

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16469727/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16469727/)

westofyou
01-15-2007, 12:42 PM
I saw the Police at Riverfront in 81? Joan Jett opened for them... I smuggled in 10 Film Cannisters full of Vodka, good times, good times.

deltachi8
01-15-2007, 01:46 PM
The Police are perhaps my favorite band. I missed seing them in 83 as my parents deemed me to young to go. Sad times...

I would not be suprised by a reunion tour as the $$$$ would be huge - something that seems to catch Sting's attention usually.

Roy Tucker
01-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Saw them at a club in Centerville (of all places) on their first US tour, at the Agora in Cleveland a year or two later, and then at Riverfront. The one at Riverfront was 83-84 though, not the one woy was at.

I would imagine that tix for this reunion show would be enormously $$$.

Redsland
01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
My first concert was a Police show at the Coliseum during Synchronity. I smuggled in what passed for a small cassette recorder at the time. I still have the tape. On it, you can hear a security guard yell at me to stop when I climbed over the wall that usually supported the glass around the hockey rink. Having gained access to the floor, I sprinted to about the tenth row from the stage, where I saw a woman with an empty seat next to her. I asked if she'd pose as my mom, and she agreed. So there I sat for the remainder of the show; an eighth grader at a Police concert sitting in the tenth row with security looking for me, a bootleg tape recorder running in my jacket, sitting next to, as luck would have it, the owner (manager?) of Everybody's Records.

That was a sweet day.

Heath
01-15-2007, 02:32 PM
My first concert was a Police show at the Coliseum during Synchronity. I smuggled in what passed for a small cassette recorder at the time. I still have the tape. On it, you can hear a security guard yell at me to stop when I climbed over the wall that usually supported the glass around the hockey rink. Having gained access to the floor, I sprinted to about the tenth row from the stage, where I saw a woman with an empty seat next to her. I asked if she'd pose as my mom, and she agreed. So there I sat for the remainder of the show; an eighth grader at a Police concert sitting in the tenth row with security looking for me, a bootleg tape recorder running in my jacket, sitting next to, as luck would have it, the owner (manager?) of Everybody's Records.

That was a sweet day.

So, she got to Stand So Close To You. Nice.

:bang:

I guess my favorite Police song was King of Pain. I never was a stalker to the point of like "I'll be watching you".

cincinnati chili
01-15-2007, 02:33 PM
This is the first reunion tour I can remember that remotely interests me. They all still have chops, and I never got to see them live in their heyday.

Still, as Sting and Copeland have sadly become more "polished" in their old age, I worry that they could overproduce the show to the point of making it not sound like the Police in the raw form.

redsfan1966
01-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Of course they are going to reunite...the amount of cash to be made in too hard to pass up...they are all at the age now where they can make a load of loot and just hang it up...I wouldnt be shocked if you dont see a lot of commercials with Police songs soon.

Redsland
01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
I wouldnt be shocked if you dont see a lot of commercials with Police songs soon.
There's a Hole in My Life - Dunkin Donuts
Peanuts - Planters
So Lonely - Match.com
Message in a Bottle - Finlandia
Da Do Do Do Da Da Da Da - Berlitz
Don't Stand so Close to Me - Listerine
Man in a Suitcase - Holiday Inn Express
Other Way of Stopping - Meineke
King of Pain - Excedrin
Tea in the Sahara - Tetley
Wrapped Around Your Finger - Helzberg
:rockband:

westofyou
01-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Of course they are going to reunite...the amount of cash to be made in too hard to pass up...they are all at the age now where they can make a load of loot and just hang it up...I wouldnt be shocked if you dont see a lot of commercials with Police songs soon.

I saw an interview with Chris Frantz from the Talking Heads, he said he had dinner with David Byrne and told him that folks were offering insane amounts of cash for them to play one show. He said he got email the next day from Byrne that said, "I told you to never mention that to me again, no reunion of the Talking Heads will ever happen."

Now I could get behind that show... I'd love a big fat Slippery People one more time in this lifetime.

redsfan1966
01-15-2007, 02:55 PM
exactly redsland.....how about Synchronicity for anyone trying to hawk products "to make your work place better".

IowaRed
01-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Saw UB40 open for the Police during the Synchronicity tour. 1983, I believe, at the UNI-DOME on the campus of the University of Northern Iowa. The Police put on a good show but I was mesmerized by UB40

Roy Tucker
01-15-2007, 03:14 PM
I saw an interview with Chris Frantz from the Talking Heads, he said he had dinner with David Byrne and told him that folks were offering insane amounts of cash for them to play one show. He said he got email the next day from Byrne that said, "I told you to never mention that to me again, no reunion of the Talking Heads will ever happen."

Now I could get behind that show... I'd love a big fat Slippery People one more time in this lifetime.

A bit off topic, but a very interesting article on Byrne at NYT today....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/arts/music/14herm.html?em&ex=1169010000&en=2ea1a2891757b3c0&ei=5087%0A

westofyou
01-15-2007, 03:15 PM
A bit off topic, but a very interesting article on Byrne at NYT today....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/arts/music/14herm.html?em&ex=1169010000&en=2ea1a2891757b3c0&ei=5087%0A

Yea, saw that yesterday.

He's a freak.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Sting doesn't need it......he's done quite well on his own.

It'd be interesting, to say the least, if the rumor comes to be.

deltachi8
01-15-2007, 05:16 PM

Hey, he may make alot o money, but he spends alot too.

GAC
01-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Liked the Police, but hated the song Roxanne. Eddie Murphy did the better version. ;)

Ltlabner
01-15-2007, 05:51 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I guess I'm in the minority. I liked their music but the train has left the station as far as being interested in a reunion. Maybe if they did it in the mid-90's when they were within 10 years of being relevant, but 21 years is a bit much to generate any excitement with me.

registerthis
01-15-2007, 06:19 PM

Financially, yes he has.

Musically, it's been one great big roller coaster plunge ever since Dream of the Blue Turtles.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Not a big fan of his solo stuff....too "AC" for me.

It's been successful for that audience though.

Unassisted
01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
The only way this will work is if Andy and Sting are kept away from each other at all times when not on stage. Previous reunions and reunion attempts have been marred or scuttled by their bickering.

I'd be willing to pay big bucks to see them in concert.

Blimpie
01-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Skipped school to get tickets for The Police on the "Ghosts in the Machine" tour. Moms found out and made me sell the tickets...FOR FACE VALUE!

:angry: :angry:

I did get to see them on the "Synchroncity" tour, though.

westofyou
01-15-2007, 08:07 PM
The only way this will work is if Andy and Sting are kept away from each other at all times when not on stage. Previous reunions and reunion attempts have been marred or scuttled by their bickering.

They never got along after Don Knotts left, IIRC

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/andy_griffith_show.jpg

cincinnati chili
01-16-2007, 01:23 AM

I'd be willing to pay big bucks to see them in concert.

I think Sting drove both of them crazy. Stewart Copeland broke his ribs once.

As for that article on David Byrne, I loved this quote: “I was a peculiar young man,” he wrote in a reflective entry last April. “Borderline Asperger’s, I would guess.”

Borderline Asperger's? Ya think?

Chris Farley was borderline fat.

harangatang
01-16-2007, 02:18 AM
Sending out an SOS...(times 200)

Handofdeath
01-16-2007, 03:31 AM

The fact that they have a lot of money is why they might not do it. Think of the insane amount of money that is still being offered and the bands haven't reunited.

1. Led Zeppelin
2. ABBA
3. Pink Floyd

Each band member of these groups would wind up with at least 100 million dollars after it was said and done. It still hasn't happened. The ladies of ABBA don't want to spend any time with their ex-husbands/bandmates. Robert Plant for several reasons has never wanted a Zeppelin reunion. Pink Floyd did reunite for one perfomance and blew away everybody at Live 8. But David Gilmour is not very keen on much else and probably feels they left Pink Floyd the right way doing that. If the Police reunite it will have to be for more than money.

NJReds
01-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Robert Plant for several reasons has never wanted a Zeppelin reunion.

Plant and Page did tour together, I think.

Ltlabner
01-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Plant and Page did tour together, I think.

I'm also pretty sure they did after they did the Unledded album. That was the one that was all Zep songs (mostly) unplugged and reworked with funky world music sounds.

The only thing (besides Bonzo's death) keeping them from a full reunion has actually been John Paul Jones' reluctance to do anything IIRC.

westofyou
01-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Robert Plant for several reasons has never wanted a Zeppelin reunion.

I have several too.

Handofdeath
01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Yes, Page and Plant did tour together a couple of times. But when they first started, John Paul Jones was not invited. Their choice and not Jones's. They then called the first Page and Plant album " No Quarter" which was JPJ's big showpiece during Zeppelin's concerts. A bit of an insult if you ask me. Led Zeppelin was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame not too long after the first P&P record and tour. In his induction speech Jones said to the two of them "Thank you, my friends, for finally remembering my phone number."

pedro
01-16-2007, 05:31 PM
I saw the Page/Plant show. It was OK. Actually I thought the best part of the show was when the played the Cure's "Fascination Street" (Porl Thompson played with their band)

NJReds
01-30-2007, 04:32 PM
If they don't kill each other after the set, perhaps the tour will come about.

The Police to reunite for Grammy awards

NEW YORK (AP) — The Police will reunite to perform at this year's Grammys ceremony, the Recording Academy announced Tuesday.
The award-winning group, which won five Grammys and turned out hits such as Roxanne and Every Breath You Take, will open the event — 23 years after breaking up.

The band — singer Sting, guitarist Stewart Copeland and drummer Andy Summers — fused reggae with pop and rock, and last performed together in 2003 when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

CBS will air the 49th annual Grammy Awards live from Los Angeles on Feb. 11.

oneupper
01-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Caracas 1981 - Good Stuff.
They were cutting edge back then.
Now...just nostalgia.

Chip R
06-01-2007, 01:06 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070601/en_nm/police1_dc_1;_ylt=A9G_bGo3QmBGfIUBEwIE1vAI

pedro
06-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Thats' pretty funny. Must be nice to have already sold out the shows so that then you can tell everyone that it'll be lousy.

westofyou
06-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Overkill
Overview
Over my dead body
Over me
Over you
Over everybody

Too much information running through my brain
Too much information driving me insane

Unassisted
06-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Thats' pretty funny. Must be nice to have already sold out the shows so that then you can tell everyone that it'll be lousy.

From what I've read of things he's said, Stewart Copeland has a giant ego and almost no filter between his brain and his mouth. It's to his credit that some of what he said in this article was self-deprecating.

The mistakes he describes sound like mistakes that came from inadequate rehearsing. Considering their past history, their management was probably afraid to let these guys spend too much time together rehearsing, for fear that the whole tour would come crashing down due to bickering. These early shows are bound to have rough edges if that was the case.

If I had tickets to one of these shows, I'd prefer a less-than-perfect performance to a cancelled one.

Blimpie
06-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Hmm...I never saw where he was offering to refund his cut of the gate to all of those fans in Vancouver.