PDA

View Full Version : Ross signs 2 year deal; Paul Wilson signed to minor league deal

reds44
01-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Ross signs

The Reds signed David Ross to a two-year deal today, avoiding arbitration with the catcher.

The team also reached a minor league deal with Paul Wilson, who was also invited to major league camp.

Aaron Harang and Kyle Lohse are still arbitration eligible, and tomorrow (Tuesday) is the day for players and teams to exchange numbers.
Marc's Blog

Jpup
01-15-2007, 02:22 PM
There is no reason for Harang to be this close to arbitration. He should already have been handed a long term contract. I'll hold out judgement on the Ross deal until I see the numbers.

Phhhl
01-15-2007, 02:35 PM
There is no reason for Harang to be this close to arbitration. He should already have been handed a long term contract. I'll hold out judgement on the Ross deal until I see the numbers.

Somehow, I don't think it's going to be as easy as handing out a contract to Harang. Last year he clearly asserted himself as a quality major league starter, and guys like that are raking in HUGE money these days. The Reds are going to have to ante up to keep him long term. Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman are probably already projecting him in their 2009 rotations.

maniem
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
I like Wilson, always have. If we had the Paul Wilson from a few years ago, he would have fit in nicely as our #4 starter. But I just don't understand why the Reds would bother signing a guy that has absolutely nothing left in the tank, yet pass on a guy like Claussen that is lefthanded, younger and has much more upside. Makes no sense. Did Wayne sour on Claussen that much?

Redlegs
01-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Paul Wilson can be a wildcard in the Reds rotation. He's been a forgotten man due to his injuries. If he can give them anything at all, it'll be a plus.

As for Ross, I felt he and Valentin was a nice one-two punch last season. Hopefully there's more where that came from.

Redlegs
01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Did Wayne sour on Claussen that much?
I've never been impressed with Claussen. I felt he lacked agressiveness in going after hitters. The age factor is a valid point and noted, however, I never really saw him being a major player for the Reds. Especially in the Great American Ball Park.

dunner13
01-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Wilson's is a minor league deal so there is no risk. No downside at all to the signing.

Tom Servo
01-15-2007, 03:04 PM
:wilson:

start printing the World Series tickets

Jpup
01-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Wilson's is a minor league deal so there is no risk. No downside at all to the signing.

except he will be wasting resources that could be better spent somewhere else.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2007, 03:11 PM

For which team? :p:

CySeymour
01-15-2007, 03:12 PM
There is no reason for Harang to be this close to arbitration.

To be honest, if I am Harang, I want to go to arbitration, if Cincinnati isn't giving me a huge contract. Concidering his stats have been equal to or better than Zito's the last couple of season, it isn't unrealistic for him to look for a 10m or better contract.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Ross - 2yrs, $4.5 Million

LaRue - $5 million...and that for one year of his deal.

fearofpopvol1
01-15-2007, 03:53 PM
That Ross deal is very managable, even with a dropoff last season. I also see no risk in the Paul Wilson minor league signing.

Edd Roush
01-15-2007, 03:56 PM
4.5 million per or total. If that's total, looks like we just got him at a very reasonable rate. Good deal Wayne

Danny Serafini
01-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Total

big boy
01-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Dave Ross should have been sold high. There is no history that would show he can repeat 2006. How many times did he drop the ball when there was a play at the plate?

jnwohio
01-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Wilson could not complete his comeback last year becasue of lack of arm strength. I'm like most; I think he has gotten about all out of his arm and shoulder that there is to get. However, let me stir the pot just a little bit.

Suppose it turns out he has got maybe 15-20 quality major league pitches a day in that arm. With his attitude and experience, might not he make decent closer material? I'm thinking he would need to nudge 90 and miss bats bats with his fastball and work a change up with some movement off of it as his big pitch. It would be all about location for him to succeed. If Easy Ed G. could do it with an arm that was about to break, why not Wilson.

dunner13
01-15-2007, 04:38 PM
I doubt wilson can get anywhere near 90mph. Im betting he tops out at 85.

Ltlabner
01-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Dave Ross should have been sold high. There is no history that would show he can repeat 2006. How many times did he drop the ball when there was a play at the plate?

Ross is not going to return anything usuable in trade with his short track record of success. Might as well sign him to a reasonable contract (which it appears they did) and get some production out of him.

Wilson on the other hand.....while I admire his tenacity, come on. Enough is enough.

Redsland
01-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Concidering his stats have been equal to or better than Zito's the last couple of season, it isn't unrealistic for him to look for a 10m or better contract.
This is only his second year of arbitration eligibility, so he is limited in terms of which people he can compare himself to. He'll be restricted to other players with similar service time. Next year, however, he'll be able to compare himself to all players. That means he could shoot right past $10MM, but not this year.

toledodan
01-15-2007, 04:46 PM
except he will be wasting resources that could be better spent somewhere else.

if a minor league deal hurts a team resources than the team is in worse shape than we thought.

Will M
01-15-2007, 04:50 PM
if a minor league deal hurts a team resources than the team is in worse shape than we thought.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jnwohio
01-15-2007, 04:54 PM
I doubt wilson can get anywhere near 90mph. Im betting he tops out at 85.

If my memory is correct, I think around 83mph was the best he (briefly) could muster last year then he fell off to the just under 80mph level. He must think he is capable of more or he wouldn't be putting himself through the grind of continuing rehab.

I see the club offering him the minor league deal as more of a courtesy and loyalty thing. They have to believe if he doesn't have it, he will call it quits before the end of spring training and it won't have cost them anything more than his per diem.

CySeymour
01-15-2007, 05:00 PM
This is only his second year of arbitration eligibility, so he is limited in terms of which people he can compare himself to. He'll be restricted to other players with similar service time. Next year, however, he'll be able to compare himself to all players. That means he could shoot right past $10MM, but not this year.

Thanks Redsland

IslandRed
01-15-2007, 05:02 PM

Exactly. If it's a typical shot-in-the-dark NRI, the only thing we're actually committed to paying is the token amount guys get for being in a big-league training camp.

Degenerate39
01-15-2007, 05:28 PM
I was thinking today that it's pretty bad the biggest news in the offseason is signing Gonzo and resigning Ross.

osuceltic
01-15-2007, 05:54 PM

I agree. Whenever any of our players have good seasons, we should trade them. When they have lousy seasons, we should keep them ... until they have good seasons. Then, of course, we should trade them.

jmac
01-15-2007, 07:07 PM

In all fairness I dont think the reds are saying this is a major signing by the "minor league contract" tag.
Many times they sign a "filler" or a gamble(like hamilton) and people come across with the WS tickets thing.
I know it is said in jest but still.......
You have more parts to a car than the engine.When the reds are playing short-handed moneywise,you have to try to hit a homerun with a gamble everyonce in a while !

Chip R
01-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Of course it doesn't hurt the Reds financially. The problem I have with this signing is that since he is going to be in camp, the temptation will be there to use him. If he were in Astros camp, there would be no temptation because he wouldn't be there. But he is going to come to camp and he is going to work hard and he knows all the guys on the team and most of the coaches and the front office people and they all like him. And no matter how he pitches, they are going to be tempted to put him on the 25 man roster so he can be the 5th starter or be a long guy out of the bullpen and so he can teach all the youngsters in the bullpen a thing or two. Except we have very few youngsters in the bullpen. But that will be the party line. If they think he's a good influence make him a coach.

fearofpopvol1
01-15-2007, 07:52 PM
I agree. Whenever any of our players have good seasons, we should trade them. When they have lousy seasons, we should keep them ... until they have good seasons. Then, of course, we should trade them.

Yeah, but this is assuming other teams wanted him and were willing to give a sound return. For some reason, I'm doubting either were true.

Ed Otten
01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't know why, but that statement made me laugh hysterically. You've summed up what I don't get about the opinions of many of the people who post here better than I think anyone has.

Ed

Ron Madden
01-16-2007, 03:03 AM
OK, I'll play along...

I'm happy that this organization is filled with "Good Guys".

Paul Wilson is a great guy with a solid work ethic. That's a good thing.

Paul Wilsons shoulder has turned into hamburger. Thar's not so good.

Believe it or not, there are some arms in our Minor League System who deserve a chance to perform. It's hard for these younger guys to prove themselves with so many retreads eating up innings.

I'm sure Wayne and Jerry are "Good Guys" too.

While I sit and scratch my head, I really hope they do know what they are doing.

big boy
01-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Amusing as that may be, when it turns out that Ross's 2007 = Taubensee's 2000 you may catch on to what I meant by suggesting to trade him while his value will get no higher.

Z-Fly
01-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Amusing as that may be, when it turns out that Ross's 2007 = Taubensee's 2000 you may catch on to what I meant by suggesting to trade him while his value will get no higher.

How high is his value really? What could he possibly net in return? I think if it was any pitching that was worth anything at all, WK would have already pulled the trigger.

I also would say that this contract may help his trade value. What do some of you guys think.

I would like to see the reds keep him and see what he could do playing everyday this year.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Whats wrong with the Reds having players who are at their highest value. Thats how you win isn't it, when you have a group of players playing at their highest level? If we just trade away players when they are at their highest value, you are always counting on the peices you recieve in return to pan out. We have seen what Ross can do when given the chance, and I think the foot injury he sustained at the end of the season was the reason for the decline, and also the reason for the gonna come back to earth attitude alot of people are stressing. It's a 2 year deal, and its not financially crippling so see it for what it is. He played well last year, and without the injury could have played better, so I see nothing keeping him from being better than all but a handfull of nl catchers this year.

Chip R
01-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Whats wrong with the Reds having players who are at their highest value. Thats how you win isn't it, when you have a group of players playing at their highest level? If we just trade away players when they are at their highest value, you are always counting on the peices you recieve in return to pan out. We have seen what Ross can do when given the chance, and I think the foot injury he sustained at the end of the season was the reason for the decline, and also the reason for the gonna come back to earth attitude alot of people are stressing. It's a 2 year deal, and its not financially crippling so see it for what it is. He played well last year, and without the injury could have played better, so I see nothing keeping him from being better than all but a handfull of nl catchers this year.

Nothing, as long as they don't drop like a rock from that level.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Nothing, as long as they don't drop like a rock from that level.
I understand the logic, but whats to say that it will happen in this case.

big boy
01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Whats wrong with the Reds having players who are at their highest value.

If he is at his highest level, there is only one direction in which to go.

Chip R
01-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I understand the logic, but whats to say that it will happen in this case.

I don't know if Ross is going to drop off, improve or stay the same. But the ability to distinguish that is what separates the good GMs from the not so good GMs.

DannyB
01-16-2007, 06:50 PM
2 years of Dave getting out of the way of throws and baserunners.:eek:
Sorry I`m not impressed