PDA

View Full Version : Sosa tries out for Rangers

Mainspark
01-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Per Rotoworld:

The Rangers worked out free agent Sammy Sosa at Ameriquest Field on Monday.
Sosa also met with general manager Jon Daniels over dinner Monday night. The thought that Jason Botts' next snub might come at Sosa's hands is pretty sickening, but even if Sosa is signed, it's doubtful he'll be guaranteed anything.

reds44
01-16-2007, 01:07 AM
We should go after him.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Umm no.

savafan
01-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Harold Baines can't be too far behind, can he?

Mainspark
01-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Per Rotoworld Tuesday:

A baseball source also told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that the Rangers and free agent Sammy Sosa were working toward an agreement.
"Sammy seems hungry and somewhat humbled by the last two years," Rangers GM Jon Daniels said in an e-mail to ESPN.com. "This is about giving a second chance to a guy who did a lot for the game, and who wants an opportunity to prove he can contribute. We're not setting expectations, and he's not asking for anything other than a chance to compete." Sure, he's not asking for anything else in mid-January. At least it doesn't sound like the Rangers will make the same mistake they did with Phil Nevin a year ago, basically handing him a starting job because he used to be good.

Blimpie
01-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Per Rotoworld Tuesday:

A baseball source also told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that the Rangers and free agent Sammy Sosa were working toward an agreement.
"Sammy seems hungry and somewhat humbled by the last two years," Rangers GM Jon Daniels said in an e-mail to ESPN.com. Ahhhh....that must explain why he weighs 50lbs less now than when he was with Baltimore...

Razor Shines
01-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Saw on the bottom line this morning that they had agreed to a Minor League deal for Sosa.

registerthis
01-18-2007, 10:21 AM
"This is about giving a second chance to a guy who did a to the game,

There, quote fixed.

dabvu2498
01-18-2007, 03:09 PM
If Sosa thinks he can still play, he's meeting with Jack Daniels, not Jon Daniels.

TRF
01-18-2007, 04:26 PM
If Sosa thinks he can still play, he's meeting with Jack Daniels, not Jon Daniels.

I remember people saying the same thing about Ron Gant, Eric Davis and Kevin Mitchell.

dabvu2498
01-18-2007, 04:42 PM
I remember people saying the same thing about Ron Gant, Eric Davis and Kevin Mitchell.

Ron Gant was 29 when he missed a season.

Davis and Mitchell were 33.

Sosa was 37.

TRF
01-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Weren't all three coming off career ending injuries? I think Davis had even retired.

dabvu2498
01-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Weren't all three coming off career ending injuries? I think Davis had even retired.

I believe Gant was a broken leg from a car accident or something of that nature. And yes, I believe Davis had retired. Not sure about Mitchell.

Edit: Mitchell played in Japan in 1995.

Just found this beaut:

Let's look at some of Mitchell's injuries!

Strained his rib muscles while vomiting.
Showed up late for spring training because he needed emergency dental work after munching on a microwaved chocolate doughnut.
Cincinnati Reds 1994: Mitchell begs out of a game with "battle fatigue." The previous night at a bar, a woman threw a glass at him, giving him a cut above right eye. "I'm not going out anymore," he said. "Or until they start using plastic cups." Some eyewitnesses provided a different version: The woman hit him with the glass after arguing with Mitchell.
Reds 1994: Asked the trainer for eyewash, but inexplicably, someone had put rubbing alcohol in the eyewash bottle, and Mitchell got burns on his eye. "I was right behind him in line," teammate Hal Morris said. "It's always Kevin."
Reds 1994: Beaned in the helmet by Padres' Kerry Taylor. That didn't injure him, but while falling down he landed on his helmet and strained neck muscles.
Reds recap: In 1993 and 1994, Mitchell missed games because of broken sesamoid bone in his left foot, a strained right hamstring, a sore neck, a tight lower back, a torn left shoulder muscle, a strained rib cage, a sprained left knee, a burned right eye, a sprained left wrist, a strained hip flexor, a chipped bone in his left ankle and bruised ribs.
Japan, 1995: Mitchell twisted his right knee and walked out on the team for two months over a disagreement about the severity of his injury. He also complained about the country's small-scale accommodations ("You roll out of bed and hit your kneecaps on the dresser") and his team's tough practice regimen ("I really thought I was in prison — I'm not doing that Jack LaLanne stuff").
Boston Red Sox 1996: Injured his hamstring, hit a home run in his first game back, re-injured his hammy, got released.
Cleveland Indians 1997: Showed up at camp in Winter Haven, Fla., weighing nearly 270 pounds; became the first player unable to complete an 850-yard training run since the Indians instituted it in 1992; and, when trying to do wheelies, bent the frame of a bicycle that he was supposed to ride for exercise.
As legend has it, sometime (probably with the Reds), Kevin Mitchell missing a game due to a strained eyelid.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1333702

Redsland
01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I believe Gant was a broken leg from a car accident or something of that nature.
Dirt bike.

Mainspark
01-20-2007, 01:37 AM
His multiple and questionable injuries aside, I loved to watch Kevin Mitchell hit. Not necessarily run or field, but hit, especially in '94.
In regards to Sosa, I find myself wondering whether Junior will hit the 37 homers he needs to reach 600 (and granted, barring a injury-free, productive season, that likely won't come until 2008) before the new, improved and strangely slimmed down Slammin' Sammy hits the 12 he needs to get there.