PDA

View Full Version : Can Coffey or Bray Step It Up?

Krusty
01-16-2007, 01:37 PM
It will be interesting to see in spring training if Todd Coffey or Bill Bray can step up to be the closer on this team. While Coffey failed in a stint during midseason last year, maybe he learned from it and will take the bull by the horns come this spring.

If Coffey or Bray could be the closer for this club, it would set up the other relievers roles with Stanton, Majewski and Weathers assuming setup roles.

So if there was one battle to watch in spring training is which young reliever will step up to be the closer. If both fail, then the Reds will probably have to settle with Stanton/Weathers duo till Eddie Guardado is ready sometime at the halfway point.

redsfan30
01-16-2007, 01:43 PM
It would be a major plus for this team if one of them can step up and attack the closers role. I'm not holding my breath on either one of them, though.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-16-2007, 01:44 PM
It will be interesting to see in spring training if Todd Coffey or Bill Bray can step up to be the closer on this team. While Coffey failed in a stint during midseason last year, maybe he learned from it and will take the bull by the horns come this spring.

If Coffey or Bray could be the closer for this club, it would set up the other relievers roles with Stanton, Majewski and Weathers assuming setup roles.

So if there was one battle to watch in spring training is which young reliever will step up to be the closer. If both fail, then the Reds will probably have to settle with Stanton/Weathers duo till Eddie Guardado is ready sometime at the halfway point.
I say give it to Stanton from the start. He is a vet and has shown in the past that he can do it. I think that if we can have a closer in place, it will help the other pitchers focus on their role in the pen, instead of worrying about trying to win the job. Cof struggled in the closers job butin my opinion has the best stuff on the team. I had tons of confidence in him until he became a closer option last year. The group in the bullpen is very interesting, alot of different looks. IMO Stanton will be much more effective after Cofs sinker, or Brays slider, but I think it will be trouble putting Weathers and Stanton back to back.

TRF
01-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Weathers signed to close. That was the deal. Now after he inevitably gets hurt, that's a whole 'nother question.

It's not "Can", it's "Will".

Both can. both are talented pitchers. Coffey has more experience and probably throws a little harder. Honestly, I see Bray as the odd man out when the Reds break camp. Too many veteran LH's signed to 2 year contracts. Plus Merker might be back as well. If Coffey can get enough innings to stay sharp, he'd be a fine closer. Bray could too someday.

dunner13
01-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I think bray is our best option as a future closer. I think coffey has the stuff but he failed when given the chance last year. Makes you wonder if he has the right makeup to close. I think both should be given the chance in spring training to prove they can do it, and whoever performs gets the job. Unfortunatly I think weathers will be handed the job. He wont be spectacular but hopefully he can get the job done anyway.

Johnny Footstool
01-16-2007, 05:45 PM
I'd like Bray to prove he can get people out in the 7th inning before I start handing him the ball in the 9th.

Highlifeman21
01-16-2007, 08:35 PM

I like Bray's odds to become a closer more than Coffey's. I think Coffey very much so is a set up man and should be allowed to play his "natural" role, if you will.

To me, he's just not a closer. Doesn't have closer type stuff, doesn't have a closer type mentality.

I'm not entirely convinced we exactly need a defined closer, though.

I think a 3rd SP and Jerry Narron's inability to put our best position players in their correct positions on the field are more pressing needs.

Falls City Beer
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
I like Coffey's ceiling more than Bray's.

vaticanplum
01-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I still hold out a lot of hope for Bray. I don't really know what was going on last year, but I think he's better than that; I considered him the best part of that deal...we'll see I guess.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-16-2007, 09:03 PM
I still hold out a lot of hope for Bray. I don't really know what was going on last year, but I think he's better than that; I considered him the best part of that deal...we'll see I guess.

Same here. I think a lot of people forget that last year was his first year facing major league hitters. There are adjustments to be made and he's still young. I don't know that he'll be able to make them immediately, but barring injury, he should have a long bright future ahead of him.

BoydsOfSummer
01-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Both of them need to be able to get lefty's out. They absolutely got hammered by them last year. I do look for them to take a nice step forward this year though.

Team Clark
01-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Coffey is way too predictable. He struggles with confidence from batter to batter. Bray is still a wild card but one the Reds should be glad to have. Stormy CAN be effective. Used too much he gets roped and hurt, used too little he gets roped. Stormy and Stanton in Apr/May wouldn't bother me.

RedsManRick
01-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Some interesting things in the admittedly very small sample size last year:

After coming to Cincy
- LD% shot up from 19.4% to 28.9%.
- His BABIP shot up accordingly (.310 to .353)
- K/9 went up from 6.26 to 7.48
- BB/9 went down from 3.52 to 2.93
- HR/9 went up from 0.78 to 0.98
- His strike/pitch ratio remained exactly the same (.655)

In summary, he was pretty much the same pitcher except he when balls got hit they got hit a bit harder in Cincy. However, he also missed more bats.

For what it's worth, here are the PECOTA weighted mean projections for Bray and Coffee:

Bray: 54.7 IP, 3.91 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 45 K, 19 BB
Coffey: 59.0 IP, 4.10 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 42 K, 19 BB

Pretty comprable. Interestingly, those are the best two ERAs on the team... Weathers and Stanton are, err, predicted to not do so well.

In terms of our starter options, Rank on team by ERA:

Harang
Belisle (puts him as a "swing" guy)
Arroyo
Bailey
Lohse (puts him as a "swing" guy)
Ramirez
Cueto
Milton

It also has Shafer as a "swing" guy, and he would be between Arroyo and Bailey, and has Alvarado and Contlangus as "Swing" between Lohse and Ramirez.

flyer85
01-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Can they? Yes

Will they? They are probably at the very least as good of a bet as Weathers and Stanton.

Eric_Davis
01-18-2007, 01:30 AM
That makes a lot of sense Krusty. If Bray could seize the closer's role in Spring Training and then out of the gate close 6 of 7 opportunities in April and May (85%), that would, as you say, set up the rest of the bullpen.

With only 2 starters we can count on to be among the top-20 in the National League with the rest falling into the 50-70 group, the strength of our pitching staff needs to be the bullpen.

So often you hear that successful bullpens always know their roles. There must be something said for a bullpen pitcher knowing exactly what's expected of him as he waits to get the call to pitch.

Don't see any reason why Bray cannot close at an 85% rate to start the season and continue it throughout the year. That doesn't turn him into Hoffman or Rivera, but 85% is perfectly acceptable (it's better than Danny Graves). And I could care less what his ERA is, so, please people, when the season comes around lay off whatever his ERA is and concentrate on his save percentage (if he's the closer).

reds44
01-18-2007, 02:10 AM
I think Bray could, but I know Coffey has already proven he can't. He's a set up guy, and a good one at that. Nothing wrong with that.

bucksfan2
01-18-2007, 09:34 AM
I dont think Coffey can be a closer. He isn't refined enough and doesn't have the overpowering fastball to be a closer. Coffey is probably stuck in the 7th and 8th innings. Bray could possibly be a closer but who knows how he will work out.

DaReds22
01-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I dont think the Reds have a closer on their roster. That is one thing they failed at do get this winter, and the last ten winters. Neither Bray or Coffey is closer material. neither has fastball that can reach 97. Lets just hope our starters and our offense can give us a coushin of at least two runs going into the eigth inning.

TRF
01-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Neither Bray or Coffey is closer material. neither has fastball that can reach 97.

Trevor Hoffman says hi.:wave:

Handofdeath
01-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Eddie Guardado doesn't reach 90 on the gun either. But still he's able to be effective. When he's healthy. Which is never.

RedsManRick
01-18-2007, 10:43 AM
A closer is a guy who pitches the last out of the game when your team has the lead. A GOOD closer is a good pitcher who pitches the last out of the game when your team has the lead.

Do some guys struggle under pressure? Sure. And breaking under pressure can stop you from being a good pitcher at any point in the game. Maybe I'm being naive, but guys shouldn't consider pitching in the 9th with the bases empty and winning by 2 a more pressure filled situation than the middle of the 7th with 2 on and a tie game.

Handofdeath
01-18-2007, 05:59 PM
A closer is a guy who pitches the last out of the game when your team has the lead. A GOOD closer is a good pitcher who pitches the last out of the game when your team has the lead.

Do some guys struggle under pressure? Sure. And breaking under pressure can stop you from being a good pitcher at any point in the game. Maybe I'm being naive, but guys shouldn't consider pitching in the 9th with the bases empty and winning by 2 a more pressure filled situation than the middle of the 7th with 2 on and a tie game.

Well, certainly the latter is a more pressure filled situation. But usually in that 7th inning the pitcher is inheriting the runners and he's probably got at least 1 out. One pitch or maybe two and the inning could be over. In the 9th inning and up by just one or two runs , a couple of bad pitches and the game is over. It's apples and oranges to me. I would hope that my closer would be successful in any closing-type situation. The difference is that if your closer blows it in the 7th your team has at least twice the opportunities to come back than you would in the 9th.