PDA

View Full Version : Wily Mo article on ESPN Insider

maniem
01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Does anyone have this? It will be interesting to see what the Sox do with him this year. The kid needs AB's, but it looks like he will get very few with Manny, Crisp, and Drew in the outfield and Ortiz at DH. I'm guessing the Sox will attempt to trade him. He still has loads of potential, so I'd offer Freel + Cormier for Wily Mo. If the Sox are dumb enough to do that, move Dunn to first and Wily Mo to left.

1) Deno - CF
2) Phillips - 2nd
3) Dunn - 1b
4) EdE - 3rd
5) Junior - RF
6) Wily Mo - LF
7) Ross - C
8) Gonzalez - SS

Sure he is terrible in the field, but he couldn't be any worse than Dunn out there. If given a full season of AB's, i think next year could be a break out year for him. Hatte could be backup at first and pinch hitter, and Conine could be the 4th outfielder with Hamilton as the 5th. With the exception of Gonzalez, the rest should be at or above the 800 OPS mark.

HalMorrisRules
01-16-2007, 05:31 PM
It basically talks about their dilemma about where they are going to find at-bats for him. They are considering first base but doubt he can do it well enough to play him there. They paid alot for him (Arroyo) and look at him as long term but dont want him to rot on the bench. Olney is commenting on this column written by Jeff Horrigan:

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=177405

camisadelgolf
01-16-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't the Sox would consider that on the principle that it would equate to "Freel + Cormier = Arroyo".

KoryMac5
01-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I thimk the AB's will be there for Willy Mo nobody knows how Drew's shoulder is going to hold up given his history.

Handofdeath
01-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Considering how iffy the future for the Reds in the OF is right now it might not be a bad thing to see about reacquiring him. Especially when you realize how Dunn may not even be a Red after this season. How strange would it be if Dunn walks after this season and the Reds reacquire WMP to take his place?

HalMorrisRules
01-16-2007, 05:57 PM
I thimk the AB's will be there for Willy Mo nobody knows how Drew's shoulder is going to hold up given his history.

That point was made in Olney's article. Between Drew and Manny "taking days off" he will get some time to play.

maniem
01-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Considering how iffy the future for the Reds in the OF is right now it might not be a bad thing to see about reacquiring him. Especially when you realize how Dunn may not even be a Red after this season. How strange would it be if Dunn walks after this season and the Reds reacquire WMP to take his place?

I like the idea of reacquiring him because it would give us power on the corners (Pena, Junior, Dunn, EdE) and speed and defense up the middle (Gonzalez, Phillips, Deno). Not to mention it would strengthen our bench with Hatte and Conine available to step in.

Degenerate39
01-16-2007, 06:48 PM
I'd love to have Pena back in Cincinnati but I wouldn't want to give up Freel for him. I'd like to see Pena in Left Field, Freel in Center, Griffey in Right. Dunn at First base.

jojo
01-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I'd love to have Pena back in Cincinnati but I wouldn't want to give up Freel for him. I'd like to see Pena in Left Field, Freel in Center, Griffey in Right. Dunn at First base.

Good lord,,,,,,,,freel for Pena in a heartbeat.....

KronoRed
01-16-2007, 06:55 PM
I'll take Freel over Pena.

Degenerate39
01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Good lord,,,,,,,,freel for Pena in a heartbeat.....

If we get rid of Freel who will hit leadoff? I don't think Deno is ready to be an everyday player.

Superdude
01-16-2007, 07:23 PM
If we get rid of Freel who will hit leadoff?

If we get Pena for Freel, then bat Pena leadoff for all I care. I'll let Harang bat leadoff if WayneK could pull that trade off.

noskill27
01-16-2007, 08:08 PM
No thanks on getting Pena back. Pena's power (his one strength) doesn't make up for his defense, strikeouts, and very, very low baseball IQ. He makes Adam Dunn look like Willie Mays.

I still can't believe how much we ripped off Boston in the Arroyo-Pena deal.

Redhook
01-16-2007, 08:44 PM
If we get rid of Freel who will hit leadoff? I don't think Deno is ready to be an everyday player.

I would prefer to have a legitimate leadoff hitter like Freel, but I would be willing to bet Wily Mo would produce quite a few more runs for this offense than Freel over the course of the year. I'd take Deno and Pena over Deno and Freel in a heartbeat (assuming Dunn or JR would move to 1st, which, of course isn't happening).

edabbs44
01-16-2007, 09:27 PM

If he's not ready now he'll never be.

paulrichjr
01-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Boston's Wily Mo quandaryposted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2732571&name=olney_buster

Wily Mo Pena is eligible for arbitration, and the Red Sox are dealing with that. They are also dealing with the reality that Pena, an extraordinary talent who cannot improve if he doesn't get some at-bats, won't have a clear avenue to get at-bats consistently this year. David Ortiz is locked in at designated hitter, and the starting outfield is set, with Manny Ramirez, Coco Crisp and J.D. Drew. The chance for Pena to play is a little better as a backup to this group than it would be if he were a member of another team, because of the injury history of Drew and because of Ramirez's habit of occasionally checking out for a few days at a time.
But if Ramirez, Crisp and Drew stay healthy, that won't allow for enough at-bats for Pena, so it wouldn't be surprising if the Red Sox ask Pena to take some ground balls at first base this spring, just to see what they see. Maybe he would be adequate, decent enough for manager Terry Francona to use him as a fill-in for Kevin Youkilis, or for third baseman Mike Lowell, with Youkilis moving over to third base on the days that Lowell sits. A gut instinct after watching Pena play the outfield for years is that it would not work out; Pena is so big and wouldn't seem to have the kind of agility required by the position, and he might struggle to throw the ball at all. But it never hurts to try, and maybe he'll be a surprise.

The Red Sox investment in his talent was theoretically long-term when they traded Bronson Arroyo to Cincinnati for him last spring. His birthday is this month, and he'll be just 25 years old. His at-bats improved over the course of last season; gradually, it seems, he's learning how to identify pitches, to lay off the breaking ball away. He looks terrible some days, but there were a lot of at-bats when he'd only flinch a little when he saw a good 1-ball, 2-strike breaking ball. Look at his numbers hitting in various counts:

No balls, two strikes: 57 at-bats, 44 strikeouts, .140 batting average
1-2: 81 at-bats, 52 strikeouts, .198.
2-0: 18 at-bats, 5 strikeouts. .500 average, .944 slugging percentage

These stats pretty much tell the story about Wily Mo at this stage in his career. He'll probably always strike out a lot, but if he could just improve his pitch selection a couple of ticks, he'll do some major damage. Even with the kind of undisciplined approach he has now, he hit .301, with a .349 OBP, and 11 homers and 42 RBI in 276 at-bats last season (and 90 strikeouts).

With another 1,000 big-league at-bats, he really might be something.

But there is question whether the Red Sox can get him those at-bats, and question whether, as a playoff contender, they can have the patience to wait for him to get better.

paulrichjr
01-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Wow that article sounds like they are dealing with exactly what we dealt with for the entire WilyMo era. Just think what might have been if he had had a better agent who thought about his future instead of his present. Wily Mo needed ABs in the minors seriously bad.

Jpup
01-17-2007, 02:24 AM
If he could hit anything, but a fastball he would look great in left for the Reds. There is no way that I would want him playing right field with Jr. in center and Dunn in left. That would probably be something close to the worst defense in the majors.

I don't think he can play enough D for Krivsky and he strikes out too much for Narron. I wish him luck, but it's time to move on.

remdog
01-17-2007, 02:32 AM
I don't think he can play enough D for Krivsky and he strikes out too much for Narron. I wish him luck, but it's time to move on.

I agree Jpup, it is time to move on. Bring back WMP and dump those other two losers. :devil:

Rem

Jpup
01-17-2007, 02:33 AM
I agree Jpup, it is time to move on. Bring back WMP and dump those other two losers. :devil:

Rem

that might work.:)

TRF
01-17-2007, 10:31 AM
For all his defensive follies in RF, he's an average to above average defensive CF.

What exactly is the contract status of Drew? Have they finalized it yet?

forfreelin04
01-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Personally, I'd love to see Wily Mo back in a Red uniform. His power is ridiculous and hes showed sign of turning it around on defense. However, I just don't see the Reds needing him. They obviously wanted rid of him for a reason.

However, I would enjoy Crisp in centerfield. I think he would hit well in the friendly confines of GABP and provide decent defense in center. Perhaps, with Crisp, Griffey would move to right with less of a fuss. Also, it would give the Reds an everyday leadoff hitter with perhaps some more consistency than a Ryan Freel. Freel is prone to extended slumps when playing everyday and his Farney brain farts are well noted. However, I doubt the Red Sox would trade with K-Sky again unless the Reds offer was real sweet. Meaning the Reds would have to give up a valuable prospect, something I doubt Wayne would do.

Superdude
01-17-2007, 06:03 PM
If he's not ready now he'll never be.

Exactly. What's Denorfia now...27? That whole, "he's not ready yet" stuff sounds dumber and dumber as the player nears 30. IMO, either play Deno or trade him.