PDA

View Full Version : Winter League Pitchers

icehole3
01-16-2007, 05:31 PM
These guys are having good success in the Winter Leagues, I saw this on Minor league.com. Would any of these fella's be worth a look?

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070112&content_id=151648&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Cory Bailey: Remember him? Last spotted in affiliated baseball back in 2002 -- he's appeared in Japan and independent ball since -- Bailey was lights out for Aragua in Venezuela. He finished third with a 2.24 ERA and had an astounding 45/4 strikeout-to-walk ratio over 68 1/3 innings. He's continued to pitch well in the postseason.

Chris Begg: All the Team Canada participant did in Venezuela was lead the league with a miniscule 1.08 ERA over 50 innings for Zulia, and it does, "begg" the question: Why doesn't Begg have a job somewhere?

Bruce Chen: Still a free agent, the lefty will undoubtedly land somewhere after dominating the Puerto Rican Winter League. In 50 innings, Chen had a 0.72 ERA, a .114 batting average against and 59 strikeouts versus just eight walks to lead Caguas into the postseason.

Rich Garces: El Guapo (The handsome one) lives! The rotund reliever, last seen in the big leagues with the Red Sox back in 2002, finished third in Venezuela with 11 saves. The league hit just .173 against him and he struck out 23 in 23 1/3 innings. He's picked up a win and a save in the playoffs to boot.

Derek Lee: An innings-eater for the Rangers' Triple-A affiliate in Oklahoma City last season, Lee pitched extremely well, albeit sparingly, for Aguilas in the Dominican. He finished second in the league with a 1.50 ERA. He gave up just one earned run over his first five outings, spanning 27 2/3 innings, though there was a month break between starts No. 4 and No. 5. He took another long break, but he has returned and pitched well in the playoffs.

DannyB
01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Do they actually score runs in those leagues?

camisadelgolf
01-17-2007, 05:43 AM
Actually, all the Central American food I've eaten has caused me to see plenty of runs.

Team Clark
01-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Nobody takes a "walk" in the Winter Leagues. Those guys are there to hit. As they say in the Dominican "you can't walk your way off the island". Chen and Begg could get a shot somewhere.