PDA

View Full Version : Loshe Avoids Arbitration; Griffey's Cast Removed

reds44
01-16-2007, 04:31 PM
And then there was one

Today the Reds signed Kyle Lohse to a one-year deal, avoiding arbitration. Terms were not disclosed.

That leaves just one arbitration-eligible player, although it's the most important one -- Aaron Harang.

Today was the day for the teams and the agents to exchange official arbitration numbers. I'll get you those when I can.

Also, the Reds sent out an update on Ken Griffey Jr.'s hand. It said X-rays revealed it was healing as expected and the hard cast was removed. He will wear a removable splint for the next two days and is expected to be ready for spring training.
-Trent

Degenerate39
01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Why must we sign Loshe to an extent but not yet Harang?

dougdirt
01-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Becuase maybe Lohse accepted the offer and Aaron didnt?

puca
01-16-2007, 06:40 PM

Loshe wasn't signed to an extension, he was signed for one year avoiding arbitration. I'm sure Wayne would at least like to do the same with Harang, but it takes two sides to agree for a contract to be signed.

jojo
01-16-2007, 06:42 PM

I'm hoping it's because Harang's deal is goiing to be for many years and thus be much more complicated to work out. I'm hoping for at least 4 years....

Handofdeath
01-16-2007, 07:30 PM
The problem for the Reds are the contracts being given out to pitchers who can't carry Harang's jockstrap. Harang has two years of arbitration left and after that he's a free agent. If he continues to improve can you imagine what the Yankees would want to pay a 30 year old Aaron Harang? If I'm the Reds I'm offering a 6yr/72 million contract and praying he takes it.

noskill27
01-16-2007, 09:07 PM
$4.2 million for Kyle Lohse? (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2007/01/harangs-numbers.asp) I can't believe that...

HumnHilghtFreel
01-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Harang said he's open to a long-term deal, but hasn't heard anything about one since last season.

That's a bit discouraging. Hopefully they can get it worked out and soon.

DoogMinAmo
01-16-2007, 09:15 PM
What I can't believe is that the Reds managed to keep the cost of both Lohse and harang under 10 million in this market. I cant blame Krivsky for not releasing Lohse's arb number at first, it could add more fuel to Harang's fire. Look at how all of us are reacting, and we have no financial effects from this deal.

edabbs44
01-16-2007, 09:32 PM
What I can't believe is that the Reds managed to keep the cost of both Lohse and harang under 10 million in this market. I cant blame Krivsky for not releasing Lohse's arb number at first, it could add more fuel to Harang's fire. Look at how all of us are reacting, and we have no financial effects from this deal.

Lohse for free would still be a ripoff.

Tom Servo
01-16-2007, 09:38 PM
I've got to agree. The only one positive I can see about keeping Lohse this year is that perhaps he realizes he really has to have a good year because he can't keep getting cushy arbitration money anymore when he's a free agent after this year.

Willy
01-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Now that is a well thought out reaction:rolleyes:

mth123
01-16-2007, 09:46 PM

If Harang only asked for $5.5 then it should be possible to sign him long term for a reasonable price. I'm shocked that Harang isn't asking for $9 Million and that Lohse didn't get more than $5 Million. Reds saved some money now lock Harang up.

Handofdeath
01-16-2007, 09:49 PM
This is actually pretty good news when you think about it. One, Harang is interested in a long term deal. Two, the arbitration number being put on the table by Harang of just 5.5 million means he's reasonable and is not going to try and break the team financially if they try to do a long term deal. 5.5 million for a guy who tied for wins in the NL and was 1st in K's? If the Reds cannot sign this guy long term then Cast should go ahead and sell the team because he will lose all face with Reds fans and he will never be trusted or taken seriously again.

jojo
01-16-2007, 10:05 PM
If Harang only asked for $5.5 then it should be possible to sign him long term for a reasonable price. I'm shocked that Harang isn't asking for $9 Million and that Lohse didn't get more than $5 Million. Reds saved some money now lock Harang up.

Harang is a bit hamstrung.....there is no way he gets a $7M raise in arbitration.....

edabbs44
01-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Now that is a well thought out reaction:rolleyes:

Why? I'm not a big fan of Cincy spending money on players who aren't going to help them get to the next level.

Think about this...

Lohse = 4.2 mil
Cormier = 2.25 mil
Stanton = 2 mil
Gonzalez = 3.5 mil
Weathers = 2.25 mil
Conine = 2 mil

16.2 million in 2007. For what? Seriously...what in God's name will this grouping actually do for this team? WK has spent 16.2 million on these guys and still doesn't have a #5 starter. After all the bullpen arms he went after last season, he still had to go and get 2 more w/o having a full rotation.

Oh wait...

"He's a versatile guy that can start and relieve," said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky. "He's going to come to camp and, at least at the outset, compete for a starting spot. That's what he was signed to do. We'll see how it goes, but a guy like him could make the team either as a starter or in the bullpen - it just depends on how things shake out."

Just reading this makes me want to puke. :barf:

Victor Santos...5.70 ERA last season. Yeah, he's gonna be the #5. That's as mortal of a lock as it gets.

When your 3-5 is Milton, Lohse and Santos, what is the point of spending $16 million on those players named above? To break the 70 win plateau? No thanks. I'd take the money and dump it into the draft and international players instead of players no one else wanted.

By the way...after WK's signings of AGon and Stanton and dealing of LaRue, here was his quote:

The moves on Monday suggested they're still going full-speed.

"Stay tuned," said general manager Wayne Krivsky, who has acquired 40 players since he took over last spring training.

Since then:
Signed Moeller
Hamilton and Burton in Rule 5
Signed Weathers
Acquired Livingston
Traded for Conine
Acq PTBNL from TB
Acq Keppinger

Stay tuned? I wish the show was cancelled.

fewfirstchoice
01-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Lohse will help the Reds more next season than most here want to believe.Lohse has talent,its just getting him to harness it in the right way.Mr. Pole may beable to do just that.

Redhook
01-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Why? I'm not a big fan of Cincy spending money on players who aren't going to help them get to the next level.

Think about this...

Lohse = 4.2 mil
Cormier = 2.25 mil
Stanton = 2 mil
Gonzalez = 3.5 mil
Weathers = 2.25 mil
Conine = 2 mil

16.2 million in 2007. For what? Seriously...what in God's name will this grouping actually do for this team? WK has spent 16.2 million on these guys and still doesn't have a #5 starter. After all the bullpen arms he went after last season, he still had to go and get 2 more w/o having a full rotation.

Oh wait...

Just reading this makes me want to puke. :barf:

Victor Santos...5.70 ERA last season. Yeah, he's gonna be the #5. That's as mortal of a lock as it gets.

When your 3-5 is Milton, Lohse and Santos, what is the point of spending $16 million on those players named above? To break the 70 win plateau? No thanks. I'd take the money and dump it into the draft and international players instead of players no one else wanted.

By the way...after WK's signings of AGon and Stanton and dealing of LaRue, here was his quote:

Since then:
Signed Moeller
Hamilton and Burton in Rule 5
Signed Weathers
Acquired Livingston
Traded for Conine
Acq PTBNL from TB
Acq Keppinger

Stay tuned? I wish the show was cancelled.

Very negative, yet I find myself agreeing with pretty much every word in your post. Thusfar, this offseason has been nothing short of a major letdown.

lollipopcurve
01-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Lohse will help the Reds more next season than most here want to believe.Lohse has talent,its just getting him to harness it in the right way.Mr. Pole may beable to do just that.

I agree. He's heading into free agency, pitching for big money.

MartyFan
01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
If only some of the fine minds on this board would get hired by the Reds to save them...What will they do!?!?!

LOL!:D

camisadelgolf
01-17-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm not freaking out about all those ~two million dollar contracts because the Reds won't have the room to make any major deals until after Milton's and Griffey's contracts are off the books anyway. Until then, I just hope that Way-K's attempts at being Mcguyver work out. The moves may not be sexy, and a lot of them might not even be helpful, but at least none of them will hurt the Reds long term.

goreds2
01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
XM 175's HOMEPLATE said tonight the Reds are looking to place Griffey in Right Field. :pray: