PDA

View Full Version : Ron Mexico Busted!

Johnny Footstool
01-18-2007, 11:22 AM
This might have worked six months ago, but I guess no one told Ron Mexico about the strict new airline rules on bottled liquids.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16485192.htm

NFL star's water bottle draws suspicion at MIASecurity screeners at Miami International Airport called police after Michael Vick left a water bottle that smelled of marijuana.
By EVAN S. BENN
ebenn@MiamiHerald.com

http://www.miami.com/images/miami/miamiherald/16485/271757301110.jpg
Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was reluctant to throw away his water bottle at a Miami International Airport security checkpoint Wednesday morning.

The reason, police say: The 20-ounce plastic bottle had a secret compartment that had a dark residue and a pungent odor of marijuana. Vick boarded his 8:20 a.m. AirTran flight to Atlanta before screeners called police. Now, Miami-Dade police are examining the bottle and could charge him if it tests positive for drugs.

Police notified the National Football League about the investigation, Miami Herald news partner WFOR-CBS4 reported. Joel Segal, Vick's agent, declined to comment late Wednesday.

According to a Miami-Dade police report, here's what happened:

Vick, 26, balked when security at the Concourse G checkpoint asked him to surrender his water bottle, which had an Aquafina label. Security regulations prohibit travelers from carrying bottles with more than 3 ounces of liquid through checkpoints.

Eventually, Vick left the bottle behind and went to his gate. But his initial reluctance aroused the suspicion of Transportation Security Administration screener Gertrude Joseph. She pulled the bottle out of a recycle bin and notified her supervisor when she discovered its hidden compartment.

Screeners told police they recognized Vick as the pro football player, and they were certain it was his water bottle because they saw him throw it away and it was the only water bottle in the recycle bin.

Miami-Dade police reviewed surveillance video from the checkpoint and said it corroborated the screeners' version of events. They also confirmed Vick was a passenger on AirTran Flight 338 from Miami to Atlanta.

The bottle had a clear partition in the middle, separating the bottle into two compartments. An online spy-equipment retailer lists an Aquafina Water Bottle Diversion Safe for $15. ''It has room for more than just water,'' according to metrospysupply.com. ``Twist and pull the bottle in half to reveal a hidden compartment.''

In his report, Miami-Dade Det. Kevin Kozak wrote: ``The concealed compartment contained a small amount of dark particulate and a pungent aroma closely associated with marijuana. The top half contained a small amount of clear liquid. When held upright the bottle appeared to be half full of water.''

Vick, the top NFL draft pick in 2001, is the older brother of Miami Dolphins wide receiver Marcus Vick and second cousin of Oakland Raiders quarterback Aaron Brooks.

Vick is known for his ability to elude defenders and make dazzling runs. He is third on the NFL's all-time rushing list for quarterbacks, running for more than 1,000 yards this past season.

Vick is two years into a 10-year, $130 million contract with the Falcons.

Vick made headlines when he flipped his middle finger to booing fans after a Nov. 26 home loss to the New Orleans Saints. The league fined him $10,000, and he agreed to give another $10,000 to charity.

Miami Herald staff writers Armando Salguero and Gladys Amador, and Brian Andrews, a reporter with Miami Herald news partner WFOR-CBS4, contributed to this report.

Redsland
01-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Those darn terrorists are sure making it hard on America's drug smugglers.

RedsManRick
01-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Michael Vick smokes pot?!? Who would've thunk it?

deltachi8
01-18-2007, 11:55 AM
The story nears Whizanater level.

Red Leader
01-18-2007, 12:00 PM
From metrospusupply.com:

The aquafina diversion safe looks like the real thing using real water, but this aquafina water has a twist. It has room for more than just water. Twist and pull the bottle in half to reveal a hidden compartment and push and twist to lock it in place. Hand made for a precision fit to keep you secret safe

Razor Shines
01-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Who doesn't have one of those that they take onto a plane?

RBA
01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Pretty easy for a well trained screener to detect. As Red Leader related they sell them online.

WMR
01-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Here's my question: With a 130 million dollar contract, why the hell is Mike Vick flying commercial? He should at least have a time share on a private jet or something.

Team Clark
01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Just kills me. All he had to do was just oblige. "Oh this...Just water...No problem, I'll just throw it away"... Like he can't afford to have one of his cronies go out and buy more "stuff" for him. No one ever said these guys were SMART.

pedro
01-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Just kills me. All he had to do was just oblige. "Oh this...Just water...No problem, I'll just throw it away"... Like he can't afford to have one of his cronies go out and buy more "stuff" for him. No one ever said these guys were SMART.

No kidding.

Johnny Footstool
01-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Between this and the "Ron Mexico" incident, I'd say Michael Vick's dreds are wound too tightly.

Yachtzee
01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
I wonder if the NFL is now going to have to ban customized Falcons jerseys with "Smokey McPot" on the back.

deltachi8
01-18-2007, 01:13 PM
I wonder if the NFL is now going to have to ban customized Falcons jerseys with "Smokey McPot" on the back.

:laugh:

Matt700wlw
01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Michael Vick smokes marijuana?

Have you ever listened to him talk or seen him in a press conference? He always looks/sounds stoned.

He needs to share the love!! :D

Ltlabner
01-18-2007, 04:41 PM

And like he had to bring his own stash with him because there was no way in the world he would be able to score some weed where he was going. It's dry as a bone there.... :rolleyes:

dabvu2498
01-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Here's my question: With a 130 million dollar contract, why the hell is Mike Vick flying commercial? He should at least have a time share on a private jet or something.

Even more, why is he flying AIRTRAN???

Blimpie
01-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Back when I was in college, I always knew where I could find the best dark particulate.

Team Clark
01-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Even more, why is he flying AIRTRAN???

This is an educated guess. Whomever he made the "appearance" for.... booked his travel arrangements. You know he's not picking up the phone and making reservations himself.

GAC
01-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Wow! My wife and kids drink Aquafina!!

[tearing through a six pack looking for that secret compartment]

Chip R
01-18-2007, 06:51 PM

That's just poor judgement on the part of Vick. If you want to succeed as an NFL QB, you have to show good judgement.

Handofdeath
01-18-2007, 07:25 PM
This explains why he can't pass very well. When he drops back in the pocket all the people and colors are running together.:laugh:

Jpup
01-19-2007, 03:06 AM
he will probably be playing for some other team next season. I think that Blank has probably had enough of Mr. Vick.

GAC
01-19-2007, 09:09 AM
That's just poor judgement on the part of Vick. If you want to succeed as an NFL QB, you have to show good judgement.

You could say that about a majority of jobs. Would you want to fly on a plane where the pilot doesn't show good judgment? :mooner:

RANDY IN INDY
01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Vick needs to go join Al Davis and his band of misfits in Oakland. Vick and Randy Moss could have a lot of fun, both on and off the field.

Team Clark
01-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Vick needs to go join Al Davis and his band of misfits in Oakland. Vick and Randy Moss could have a lot of fun, both on and off the field.

Who would you rather have drive? Moss or Vick? :laugh:

RANDY IN INDY
01-19-2007, 10:12 AM
That's a tossup.:yikes: I think I'd take Moss, since he's used to driving on those nasty West Virginia roads.:all_cohol

15fan
01-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Vick has an endorsement deal with Airtran, which has it's main hub here in Atlanta. So does Warrick Dunn, Ilya Kovalchuck and I think Kari Lehtonen. They're on billboards all over town.

There was a blurb in the paper recently about the way AirTran was signing individual athletes in markets they serve to endorsement deals. Most pro teams have deals with airlines. Rather than outbid the mega airlines, AirTran has been picking & choosing individual athletes to pimp their flights.

And I certainly wouldn't knock AirTran as an airline. They've been steadily expanding and taking it to the big airlines. If you live in Atlanta, Airtran is an outstanding alternative to the monster that is Delta. Here's a url to their route map. Click on Atlanta & you'll see they do a heck of a job serving this market. Now that they've partnered with Frontier Airlines, they have a lot more offerings out west.

http://www.airtran.com/route-map/city_information.aspx

http://www.airtran.com/f9program.aspx

Also, keep in mind that the Atlanta market isn't served by Southwest. Back in the day, the politicians and business folks here made it clear as day that they didn't want Southwest competing in the Atlanta market with hometown Delta. So if I want to catch a flight on Southwest, I have to drive to Birmingham which is 2 hours away. Without Southwest around in Atlanta, the competition from little old Airtran has helped bring Delta to it's knees.

Edit: As a consumer, I love the idea of competition in the market place and the innovation it brings. However, Delta's woes, which are largely self-inflicted IMO, have a huge potential to put a hurt on the metro economy. If the US Airways bid goes through, the potential exists for a lot of jobs to go away. Of course, it would also open up a ton of gate capacity at the airport, allowing for folks like Airtran, JetBlue, or Southwest to expand.

Highlifeman21
01-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Who doesn't have one of those that they take onto a plane?

The amazing thing is had he emptied out the water, he could have kept it. They had me pour out my water when I flew like 2 weeks ago, but I was allowed to put the bottle into my carry on.

Great thinking, Vick.

RichRed
01-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Could it be that Marcus is the smart Vick brother?

RANDY IN INDY
01-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't think the word applies to either.

RichRed
01-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Can't take credit for this but thought it was funny:

"Add airport security to the list of defenses Vick can't read."

BoydsOfSummer
01-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Shouldn't toking up improve his game? Herb always makes time and space slow down for me. :cool: :pimp:

Chip R
01-19-2007, 04:29 PM
You could say that about a majority of jobs. Would you want to fly on a plane where the pilot doesn't show good judgment? :mooner:

Course not. Far as I'm concerned, Vick can smoke weed all day and continue to be a mediocre QB. But one of the keys to being a successful NFL QB is showing good judgement. If the defense is lined up one way, you have to have the good judgement to change the play if it doesn't look like it's going to be successful. If your favorite WR has 3 guys covering him, it's poor judgement to throw it to him. You don't see Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Carson Palmer or Donovan McNabb doing stupid stuff like this.

Johnny Footstool
01-19-2007, 04:35 PM
It's not the same kind of judgement. Not at all.

Chip R
01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
It's not the same kind of judgement. Not at all.

Judgement is judgement. If you make the wrong decisions in your personal life, chances are you're going to make them on the football field. And it's not necessarily about smoking weed. It's about making a fuss when they ask you to get rid of the bottle. Good judgement would have been to do as you were asked with no problem and no one's the wiser. Bad judgement is making a fuss which arouses suspicion leading to his current problems.

Red Leader
01-19-2007, 05:53 PM
I disagree, Chip. For a professional athlete making a decision on the football field is almost second nature. They study formations, plays, etc, day after day after day. It's beat into them.

To make a decision like Vick made at the airport has nothing to do with that.

Johnny Footstool
01-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Judgement is judgement. If you make the wrong decisions in your personal life, chances are you're going to make them on the football field. And it's not necessarily about smoking weed. It's about making a fuss when they ask you to get rid of the bottle. Good judgement would have been to do as you were asked with no problem and no one's the wiser. Bad judgement is making a fuss which arouses suspicion leading to his current problems.

It's a different set of rules, and a different skill set for each. Throwing to Alge Crumpler in man-to-man coverage is one thing. Ignoring drug laws because you're young, rich, and "above the rules" (or because you were never taught the consequences) is quite another.

Flip the argument for a minute: would a guy who makes bad judgements on the football field be apt to make bad decisions in real life? No.

RANDY IN INDY
01-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I agree. Totally different.

Danny Serafini
01-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Flip the argument for a minute: would a guy who makes bad judgements on the football field be apt to make bad decisions in real life?

Rex Grossman makes bad judgements throwing to covered receivers. Rex Grossman makes bad judgements blowing off preparing for his job because it's New Year's Eve. You can certainly make the argument.

GAC
01-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Shouldn't toking up improve his game? Herb always makes time and space slow down for me. :cool: :pimp:

And you're still hoping that Dukakis will win the '88 primary. :mooner:

GAC
01-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Course not. Far as I'm concerned, Vick can smoke weed all day and continue to be a mediocre QB. But one of the keys to being a successful NFL QB is showing good judgement. If the defense is lined up one way, you have to have the good judgement to change the play if it doesn't look like it's going to be successful. If your favorite WR has 3 guys covering him, it's poor judgement to throw it to him.You don't see Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Carson Palmer or Donovan McNabb doing stupid stuff like this.

Probably because they're not tokin' (or maybe they don't inhale)

And why Tommy's NFL career never took off :mooner:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/images/pics/chong1.jpg

GAC
01-19-2007, 09:39 PM
I disagree, Chip. For a professional athlete making a decision on the football field is almost second nature. They study formations, plays, etc, day after day after day. It's beat into them.

To make a decision like Vick made at the airport has nothing to do with that.

It's called S-T-U-P-I-D-I-T-Y.

dabvu2498
01-23-2007, 09:18 AM
How about this:

Falcons' Vick cleared of any wrongdoing
Jan. 22, 2007

ATLANTA (AP) -Michael Vick was cleared by police Monday of any wrongdoing at a Miami airport, four days after the Falcons general manager said the star quarterback had "let a lot of people down."

Vick's water bottle was seized by security at Miami International Airport last Wednesday. Police said it smelled of marijuana and had a hidden compartment that contained a "small amount of dark particulate."

Lab tests found no evidence of drugs, according to a memo by Deisy Rodriguez, an assistant state attorney in Florida. She said the bottle no longer is considered evidence in an investigation.

Police will not file charges and there will be no disciplinary measures from the NFL or the Falcons.

"If there is no violation of law, there is no basis for discipline," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Associated Press.

Vick has had no public comment on the incident.

"Michael fully understands that his actions on and off the field are a reflection on the Atlanta Falcons and the NFL," Vick's attorney, Lawrence H. Woodward Jr., said in a statement faxed to the AP.

"Michael intends to spend this offseason focusing on his family, working with his teammates and the new coaching staff to insure that the Falcons have a great season in 2007, and devoting time to his charitable interests."

The 26-year-old Vick had been the target of jokes and sharp criticism since the incident, including a skit on "Saturday Night Live."

On Thursday, Atlanta GM Rich McKay said Vick "knows he let a lot of people down. Not just the coaches, not just me, not just Arthur Blank, but the fans. We were very clear in discussing that."

McKay said Blank, the team owner, "is upset."

After Vick was cleared, the Falcons issued a statement.

"We appreciate the speed at which the Miami authorities concluded their investigation, and we are pleased to learn of the outcome of the investigation," spokesman Reggie Roberts said.

"This is another reminder of the high-profile nature of a professional athlete and the close scrutiny players undergo related to their conduct on and off the field. We look forward to putting this matter behind us," he said.

This season, Vick became the first quarterback in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards. Atlanta had the league's worst passing attack and went 7-9, missing the playoffs for the second straight year. Coach Jim Mora was fired and Bobby Petrino was hired.

Vick led Atlanta to the NFC championship game following the 2004 season. The Falcons re-signed him to a $137 million contract, the league's richest deal at the time.

Vick had to apologize this season after he made obscene gestures to home fans while walking off the field following a loss to New Orleans in November.

Last April, Vick settled a lawsuit filed by a woman who claimed the player knowingly gave her herpes. She also claimed that he used the alias "Ron Mexico" while seeking treatment for the sexually transmitted disease.

http://www.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/9947830

Also, here's the skit from SNL: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RjtVnqZCndo

RFS62
01-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Well, sounds like the Miami Police drug test lab gets the assist this time.

Anyone think Vick would have kept quiet and taken all the bad press if he wasn't certain that he was busted?