PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Mosby "Big Mo" released

Luvsbaseball
01-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Big Mo just called Travis Wood and told him that he was released by the REDS yesterday.

KoryMac5
01-18-2007, 03:04 PM
The following article sums up how much work Mosby still needed:

East St. Louis graduate still has work in the minors
Mosby thinks 4th year his best yet
BY BOB BOURBON
For the News-Democrat
Belleville resident Bobby Mosby finished his fourth season of minor-league baseball in September.

Mosby, an East St. Louis High graduate, played for the Dayton Dragons, a Class A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds.

"I had a better year this year. I worked hard and took nothing for granted," said the 6-foot-3, 240-pound first baseman, 24. "I also worked on my offense and defense."

Mosby batted .237 with 12 home runs and 45 RBIs in 86 games after hitting .245 with nine homers and 28 RBIs in 52 games with the Dragons in 2005. His offensive game remains a work in progress.

"As far as mechanics, he needs to be able to get to the fastball better, which means he should probably shorten up his swing and be sure not to collapse underneath the ball," Dragons manager Billy Gardner said. "Defensively, he needs to improve his agility around the bag at first.

"The biggest thing for Bobby is to be in shape and take care of his body in the offseason. He needs to come to camp with a good playing weight and be ready to go."

Gardner was in his first year managing the Dragons. He was manager of the year in 1998 for the Michigan Battle Cats.

Considering his size, Mosby's value to any team will be in his ability to consistently hit for power.

"I need to be more of a power hitter and get more doubles," said Mosby, who had 15 doubles in 291 at-bats, with 26 walks and 91 strikeouts. His on-base percentage was a low .307.

Mosby, a right-handed hitter and thrower, pounded left-handed pitching, going 28-for-84 (.333) with seven home runs and a .391 OBP. In contrast, he was 41-for-207 (.198) against right-handers, with a .273 OBP. He had 69 strikeouts.

"I'm working on my strike-zone management," Mosby said. "I come in early and use the curveball machine. I see lots of off-speed pitches."

Dayton lost its final game of the season to West Michigan and failed to reach the playoffs with a 67-73 record in the Midwest League.

Mosby doesn't know whether he will be moved up to Double-A next year. He would seem to need more seasoning in Class A, but he will be 25 on April 9.

"I need to be more consistent, while keeping my focus on the dream -- playing ball in the majors," Mosby said.

Superdude
01-18-2007, 04:24 PM
That was intense. "He's fat, he can't hit for power, he strikes out too much, he can't get on base." You know you're bad when you can't even get one compliment from a newspaper.

rah-ri
02-09-2007, 12:56 AM
WHAT? My boys will be devastated. They loved him......