PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about this photo?

hustle123
01-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Many of you have probably seen this. I received it for Christmas, and am looking to track down some info.

I am trying to track down the date of this game, perhaps some background on the play, and even whether Rose was safe or out.

Any knowledgeable folks out there?

http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/p/01/225/01225_rosephs008028.jpg

vaticanplum
01-20-2007, 12:20 AM
I don't know anything about this photo, except that it's very famous, and I think it's in the opening credits of Bull Durham.

George Anderson
01-20-2007, 12:22 AM
I have seen this picture before. Thats Perez on the on deck circle and I am thinking by the uniform style its around 1971 or so. Randy Hundley was the cubs catcher then and he wore 9 . The catcher in the photo looks like he has a 2 on the back of his uniform so it must be Hundleys back up

jojo
01-20-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm pretty sure that's Pete Rose in the picture.... :thumbup:

Hollcat
01-20-2007, 01:16 AM
It was a day game if that helps you any:thumbup:

George Anderson
01-20-2007, 01:24 AM
J. C. Martin was the cubs catcher on 8/24/71. His uniform number was 12. Just a guess but i am thinking its that game.

Damn I need to get a life:eek:

HumnHilghtFreel
01-20-2007, 02:10 AM

I think they sell those on eBay now:)

BCubb2003
01-20-2007, 02:13 AM
J. C. Martin was the cubs catcher on 8/24/71. His uniform number was 12. Just a guess but i am thinking its that game.

You're probably right. Rose scored three times that day. Fergie Jenkins is also in a wide crop of the photo.

George Anderson
01-20-2007, 03:09 PM
You're probably right. Rose scored three times that day. Fergie Jenkins is also in a wide crop of the photo.

What source did you use to find Rose scoring three times??

hustle123
01-20-2007, 03:38 PM
What source did you use to find Rose scoring three times??

Many thanks for all of the ideas and background -- it does look like the right game. I did find the game boxscore online, and things appear to match up (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=197108240CHN.

I am guessing this photo was one of the three scores, but it could be possible he was thrown out. Tough to tell from the photo where the plate is, etc.

Thanks again to all, anxious to hear if any other ideas pop up.

George Anderson
01-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Many thanks for all of the ideas and background -- it does look like the right game. I did find the game boxscore online, and things appear to match up (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=197108240CHN.

am guessing this photo was one of the three scores, but it could be possible he was thrown out. Tough to tell from the photo where the plate is,I etc.
Thanks again to all, anxious to hear if any other ideas pop up.

As an umpire I would say he was safe:thumbup:

redsupport
01-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Joe Gibbon was very effective in that game

Reverend Doo-Rag
01-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Reds pitchers seemed to be head-hunting that day. i wonder if Durocher threw a fit.

Crosley68
01-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I would assume that since Fergie is in the photo and Pete got 3 doubles against him and scored 3 times, then he must have been safe.

Reverend Doo-Rag
01-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't think there is any possible scenerio where he would have been out. There were no errors in the game, so Rose made outs his other 2 AB's.

Reverend Doo-Rag
01-20-2007, 08:53 PM
It is evident in Pete's eyes that he knew, on some metaphysical level, that Tommy Helms would soon me adorning the yellow, orange, and purple hues whilst toiling for Leo on the lush plastic biosphere with the pre-afro JR Richard.

Cedric
01-20-2007, 11:44 PM
I would pay anything to watch Pete Rose play baseball again. That doesn't help your post much, but it's a random, impossible and irrational thought.

RedsBaron
01-21-2007, 08:06 AM
I would pay anything to watch Pete Rose play baseball again. That doesn't help your post much, but it's a random, impossible and irrational thought.

Yep. For all of his shortcomings, Pete was a joy to watch play. No one ever seemed to play the game and to love the competition quite as much as Peter Edward Rose.

RFS62
01-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Yep. For all of his shortcomings, Pete was a joy to watch play. No one ever seemed to play the game and to love the competition quite as much as Peter Edward Rose.

Of all the images I have of Pete as a player, the one that stands out the most was when he moved halfway down the line at third to intimidate Mickey Rivers in the '76 series.

The vision of him setting up there, daring Rivers to hit it by him, was the perfect expression of his career to me. I know the diving head first slide was his trademark. But I'll never forget how cool I thought that strategy was.

This passage taken from a Hall of Fame description of the '76 Series....

"Anderson felt that Munson and Rivers were the main offensive threats, claiming that "if you stop them, the other guys in the lineup aren't as effective." He was right. Though Munson smacked Reds pitchers for a .529 average, they stifled Rivers completely. Rose played way in at third base, as if Rivers were a pitcher preparing to sacrifice, daring him to slash the ball past him. "Sparky told me," Rose reported, "to play him in close, even if I had to shake his hand." Rivers didn't get on base until Game Three, and the first two times he did get on he was picked off first base and doubled off second."

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/history/2006/060510.htm

RedsBaron
01-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Of all the images I have of Pete as a player, the one that stands out the most was when he moved halfway down the line at third to intimidate Mickey Rivers in the '76 series.

The vision of him setting up there, daring Rivers to hit it by him, was the perfect expression of his career to me. I know the diving head first slide was his trademark. But I'll never forget how cool I thought that strategy was.

Pete was never a graceful fielder, especially at third. But I agree: His play in the 1976 World Series perfectly captured the aggression and arrogance with which he played baseball. My memory may be wrong, but I recall Rivers finally hitting a line drive at Pete in one game, which Pete snatched out of the air with a look of "you can't hit it by me."

RANDY IN INDY
01-21-2007, 11:17 AM

This passage taken from a Hall of Fame description of the '76 Series....

"Anderson felt that Munson and Rivers were the main offensive threats, claiming that "if you stop them, the other guys in the lineup aren't as effective." He was right. Though Munson smacked Reds pitchers for a .529 average, they stifled Rivers completely. Rose played way in at third base, as if Rivers were a pitcher preparing to sacrifice, daring him to slash the ball past him. "Sparky told me," Rose reported, "to play him in close, even if I had to shake his hand." Rivers didn't get on base until Game Three, and the first two times he did get on he was picked off first base and doubled off second."

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/history/2006/060510.htm

:beerme:

gm
01-21-2007, 08:42 PM
My memory may be wrong, but I recall Rivers finally hitting a line drive at Pete in one game, which Pete snatched out of the air with a look of "you can't hit it by me."

Your memory is fine; that was a classic WS moment. Here's hoping the '76 Series will eventually make it on DVD

HalMorrisRules
01-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Joe Gibbon was very effective in that game

I just created a whatifsports team based upon the 1971 Reds. I had never heard of Gibbon before and he seemed to have been a decent pitcher in his time. He had a good year for them in 1971. And then suddenly he forgot how to pitch apparently. He was released by both the Reds and Astros in 1972.

Bigredfan#1
01-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Don't know anything about the picture but it sure brings back memories of how hard Rose played.

Hollcat
01-23-2007, 12:20 AM
I don't think there is any possible scenerio where he would have been out. There were no errors in the game, so Rose made outs his other 2 AB's.

He could have gotten on base via a fielders choice and came around to score the run afterward.