PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man (Movie)

savafan
01-21-2007, 06:54 PM
I thought we had a thread on this already, but I couldn't find anything when I searched. I KNOW we talked about Downey getting the role of Stark somewhere on here though. Here's some more casting news on this.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/17/film.paltrow.reut/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Academy Award winner Gwyneth Paltrow has joined the cast of "Iron Man," a Marvel Comics superhero movie starring Robert Downey Jr.

Downey plays the armor-clad title character and his alter ego, billionaire industrialist Tony Stark. Terrence Howard will play Stark's best friend Rhodey.

Paltrow will play Stark's personal assistant Virginia "Pepper" Potts, one of the few people in Stark's life who can go toe-to-toe with him and who occasionally serves as his conscience. The pair also share a secret attraction to each other.

"Her representatives let us know that she wanted to do a movie like this," said Kevin Feige, Marvel's president of production. "A few phone calls later from all parties involved, and over the weekend it happened."

Jon Favreau is directing the movie, which will be distributed by Paramount Pictures. Production is scheduled to begin in March in Los Angeles.

Paltrow, who won an Oscar for her work in "Shakespeare in Love," most recently appeared in "Running With Scissors."

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/282/image1vh6.png

smallbattle
01-22-2007, 02:21 AM
This could be the most annoying cast of any movie to date.

Johnny Footstool
01-22-2007, 09:40 AM
As I mentioned in the other thread, I really like the casting of Robert Downey Jr. as the brilliant but troubled Tony Stark.

The thing is, Iron Man doesn't really have any iconic arch-villains like Spidey and the FF do. Who is he going to fight, the Mandarin? PC police would have a field day with that.

Puffy
01-22-2007, 10:06 AM
I like the choices - RD, Jr. is a great actor - yeah, he's troubled, but he's damn good. And Palthow is OK when in the right parts.

savafan
01-22-2007, 11:36 AM
As I mentioned in the other thread, I really like the casting of Robert Downey Jr. as the brilliant but troubled Tony Stark.

The thing is, Iron Man doesn't really have any iconic arch-villains like Spidey and the FF do. Who is he going to fight, the Mandarin? PC police would have a field day with that.

There are plenty of good villains in the Marvel universe, maybe they'll just have to borrow someone.

zombie-a-go-go
01-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Somebody needs to give Gwynneth a cheeseburger.

All Downey has to do is reprise his role from the film adaption of Less Than Zero, and he should be fine as Stark - depending on how much rope Marvel gives Favreau, of course.

Does anyone know if they're modeling film-Stark on the 616-Stark or Ultimate-Stark?

Johnny Footstool
01-22-2007, 11:38 AM

All Downey has to do is reprise his role from the film adaption of Less Than Zero, and he should be fine as Stark - depending on how much rope Marvel gives Favreau, of course.

Does anyone know if they're modeling film-Stark on the 616-Stark or Ultimate-Stark?

If I had to guess, I'd say Ultimate.

Johnny Footstool
01-22-2007, 11:40 AM
There are plenty of good villains in the Marvel universe, maybe they'll just have to borrow someone.

Sure, but a good comic book hero needs an arch-nemesis to define him. Batman needs the Joker. Spidey needs the Goblin.

savafan
01-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Sure, but a good comic book hero needs an arch-nemesis to define him. Batman needs the Joker. Spidey needs the Goblin.

True. Maybe they could do something shocking and create a completely new character for the movie.

TRF
01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Crimson Dynamo and The Titanium man don't fit in today's political climate. Spymaster is a feeb. Living Laser... nope. silly name. Justin Hammer, maybe.

Roxxon?

For a first film you need an arch villain. For Iron Man that villain is the Mandarin. But who plays him? and if the effects with the Mandarin's rings are good enough, then by god we need a GL film!

Hal Jordan vs Sinestro. Post Parellax. No yellow impurity.

KronoRed
01-22-2007, 12:05 PM
True. Maybe they could do something shocking and create a completely new character for the movie.

Like an evil twin?

:D

Johnny Footstool
01-22-2007, 12:13 PM

No, because you'd lose the comic book fanbase.

GAC
01-22-2007, 09:04 PM

That would be like trying to force kryptonite down Superman's throat. ;)

I thought Downey was excellent as Chaplin.