01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
AP is reporting the Tuna has quit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070122/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_cowboys_parcells_1

KronoRed
01-22-2007, 12:09 PM
What a shock.

NJReds
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Good. (and I'm a Cowboys fan). I didn't want him in the first place. He should've left last year so that we could've kept Sean Payton.

Now if only Jerry would fire himself as GM.

KronoRed
01-22-2007, 12:19 PM
So how many years is this retirement going to be? I say 2.

deltachi8
01-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Maybee one - could he go back to the giants next year?

savafan
01-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Parcells is a constant quitter.

Heath
01-22-2007, 12:24 PM
I'd say one year and GAC, Boyds, and et. al. might be shocked here, but he could spend a couple of years in Cleveland. He'd right the ship pretty quickly, IMO.

He'll stay low, lose a few pounds, get some good nights sleep, and get a job on NFL Network or FOX or something. He'll be fine.

Chip R
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
He'll probably end up at Bama when Saban leaves for another job.

ochre
01-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Maybe he'll sign on to be an assistant with the Patriots? :)

Northern Dancer
01-22-2007, 12:40 PM
I read a few weeks ago on the Fox Sports rumour mill that the Giants were not interested in bringing back Parcells. Apparently, inquiries were made on the Tuna's behalf at the time.

RFS62
01-22-2007, 12:42 PM
So, does this mean that TO is now the player-coach?

Puffy
01-22-2007, 12:46 PM
I read a few weeks ago on the Fox Sports rumour mill that the Giants were not interested in bringing back Parcells. Apparently, inquiries were made on the Tuna's behalf at the time.

That turned out not to be true - all sides denied.

However, I don't think the Giants would be interested in taking him back. And thats a mistake on the Giants, cause Coughlin is not the answer to any of their questions.

RANDY IN INDY
01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
So who do the 'boys turn to now?

Edskin
01-22-2007, 12:53 PM
My guess is that this really is "it" for the Tuna. Mainly because I don't see him as being the "hot priority" anymore. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out:

--Giants: 2 Time Super Bowl Champ
--Patriots: 1 Time Super Bowl Loser
--Jets: 1 Time AFC Championship Game Loser
--Cowboys: 2 Time Wild Card Loser

Those figures represent the farthest Parcells went at each stop. As you can see, it was a steady dip. Even at his "worst" (Dallas), Parcells fielded some decent teams-- he was never an embarrasment, and he did help turn the fortunes of both the Pats and Jets, to say nothing of what he did for the Giants.

But he lost a little along the way. As much blame as his offense got in Dallas, I think his fatal flaw was his inability to create a truly smothering defense. He had some pieces, but they never fully came together.

As a Redskins fan, I'm neutral on this decision. I still respected Parcells and knew Dallas would always be fairly tough as long as he was there, but I also felt his best days were behind him and that Dallas may never really "return to glory" under him.

I think Parcells is very, very much like Larry Brown. They have both had moments of genius in their careers, and some great successes. But they also both seem to have an incredibly hard time settling down and even enjoying themselves during the journey. Both seem tormented at all times for whatever reason. As they got older, their torment seemed to get worse and their methods became less effective.

Now, you never know. In a couple of years, there could be a desperate NFL team searching for a quick fix. Maybe Parcells will feel he has a little something left, and the match will be made. But I doubt it. I think teams are starting to wise-up: Chase the future, not the past.

deltachi8
01-22-2007, 01:04 PM
So who do the 'boys turn to now?

Rivera from the Bears would make sense.

Tom Servo
01-22-2007, 01:07 PM
That's my guess. The resigning doesn't shock me in the least, if he never coaches again THAT would be the shock

Chip R
01-22-2007, 01:37 PM
He could land with the Chargers if they don't re-sign Marty after next year.

Dom Heffner
01-22-2007, 01:44 PM

He's a Davey Johnson or Tony LaRussa type coach. They only go to good programs, have some success and everyone thinks they are great. Rarely do these guys go to Milwaukee or Arizona and turn things around.

I'd make a great head coach of the Yankees or Patriots.

macro
01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
So, does this mean that TO is now the player-coach?

:lol:

Cedric
01-22-2007, 03:06 PM
He's a Davey Johnson or Tony LaRussa type coach. They only go to good programs, have some success and everyone thinks they are great. Rarely do these guys go to Milwaukee or Arizona and turn things around.

I'd make a great head coach of the Yankees or Patriots.

Like he turned around New York and New England? Come on man. You aren't even close to correct on this one.

The Jets were one of the worst teams in the whole league, right with the Bengals. 4-28 in the period before him. The Patriots were horrendous also.

Puffy
01-22-2007, 03:28 PM
The Giants were 3-12-1 in his first season until he completely turned over the team. And that was before the salary cap era when players played for one team their entire careers - he turned over 60% of the team.

Cedric
01-22-2007, 03:32 PM
I've seen a ton of bashing of Parcells in the media lately and it confuses me. What team has he not left in perfect shape after inheriting a totally crap roster? He's a tremendous coach and leader, IMO.

George Foster
01-22-2007, 08:59 PM
I predict that the next coach of America's Team is........Stoops of Oklahoma!
You heard it here first!:thumbup: Many Many rep points if I'm right!!!:laugh:

Handofdeath
01-23-2007, 08:30 PM
TO is owed a bonus in a few months and I don't think it's any sure thing he stays. As a lifelong Cowboys fan living in Texas I wish the guy wasn't there. If I'm Jerry Jones I'm trying like hell to get Bill Cowher. Word is Wade Phillips is a pretty good possibility and I would be a big supporter of that hiring as well. No college coaches though.

TDHND
01-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Former Cowboys QB Jason Garrett was hired as the OC and possible Head Coach. As a Cowboys fan I'll like having him as OC,but I want someone like Ron Rivera to be the head coach.