PDA

View Full Version : Best & Worst Airports

Ltlabner
01-22-2007, 01:13 PM
For those of you who travel regularly, what is your favorite and most dreaded airport?

Why?

deltachi8
01-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Most of my travel is to Central Florida, so I dont have a wide range of opinion. I really like the Orlanod Airport though.

Was not a big fan of Detroit - but have yet to fly out of the new terminal there.

oneupper
01-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Zürich - my favorite.

Easy- in out/Train connection
Runs like a Swiss clock.

There are a lot of Airports I don't like (Madrid, Miami, Atlanta).

Team Clark
01-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Las Vegas! :thumbup:
Cincinnati :thumbup:
Tampa :thumbup:
Orlando :thumbup:
Ft. Lauderdale :cool:
Phoenix :cool:
Chicago Ohare :cool:

LaGuardia :thumbdown
Kennedy :thumbdown
Miami :thumbdown
Sarasota :thumbdown
Milwaukee :thumbdown
LAX :duel:

Atlanta :barf:
Durham :yikes:
St. Louis: :pray:
Kansas City :rant:

Minneapolis :bash:
Houston: :thumbup:
Pittsburgh :barf:

Detroit :pray:
Toronto :dunno:
Boston :luvu:
Buffalo :party:

Salt Lake City: :sleep:

Heath
01-22-2007, 01:27 PM
High on the list - Dayton, Columbus, Indianapolis, Akron/Canton, Rochester NY.
High on the list (destination only) - Ft. Lauderdale, Denver, Ft. Myers
I have to use this airport a lot, but I am indifferent - Atlanta
Low on the list - LGA, JFK, Newark, Boston, Portland ME.

Red Leader
01-22-2007, 01:33 PM
- Chicago O'Hare isn't bad. It's plenty big. Stuff to do if you have a layover to pass time and it's well laid out.

- Philadelphia's airport was awful (that might have been the terrible experience I had there, though, more than the airport itself.

- I like both Dallas-Ft. Worth and Houston's airports. Both are bigger in size with stuff to do and the weather is usually nice. Somewhat easy to get around both.

- Miami's airport and LAX are usually a headache. Just "too busy" for my tastes.

- Atlanta's airport is nice. I like having layovers there because of the food they have, the shops they have and the newspapers they offer.

- Dulles in Washington is ok, not great. Lots of wait time for security, more than most others.

- Dayton's airport is boring. Nothing to do if you are waiting for someone to arrive. Seriously, you can't do anything except sit in a chair. Rediculous from the "home of flight."

- Columbus' airport is pretty nice. It's been pretty clean the times I've been there and it's relatively easy to get around.

- Jamaica. When I first went there (1977) there were no indoor terminals. It was all outdoor. I remember sitting on the side of a hill waiting for our plane to arrive. The landing strip was it's own island. Water on both sides of the runway. That was a little scary when I was a kid. I like the airport now, though.

RANDY IN INDY
01-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Charlotte Douglas International Airport is great and we feel very fortunate to have it so close by, as my wife travels a lot. Easy in, easy out, clean, decent food and shops, and parking is reasonable.

Highlifeman21
01-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Worst
1. Atlanta Hartsfield - ATL
2. Chicago O'Hare - ORD
3. Cincinnati - CVG

Honorable Mention - Dallas Fort Worth - DFW

Best
1. Fort Myers - RSW
2. Las Vegas - LAS
3. Columbus - CMH

Honorable Mention - Philadelphia - PHL

westofyou
01-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Worst - Newark - Midway - Any Non Delta Terminal at CVG - Atlanta (only saved by the Marta) SFO - Horrible location

Best - Denver the new one is nice (In the summer) San Jose (easy and smaller then you'd think) Vegas (Slots!!)

dabvu2498
01-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Best -- Charlotte, Denver, Las Vegas, Tampa, Orlando, Detroit
Good (small airport division) -- Dayton, Louisville, Savannah GA
Worst -- Atlanta, Philly, Boston, both airports in DC

RedsFan75
01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Finally someone mentioned Philly!!!!

I agree with TC's list but I've got to add that Philly is the worst I've ever been through! I've travelled through there for over 3 yrs and can count on one hand the number of times I've left there on time!

Red Leader
01-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Finally someone mentioned Philly!!!!

I agree with TC's list but I've got to add that Philly is the worst I've ever been through! I've travelled through there for over 3 yrs and can count on one hand the number of times I've left there on time!

I mentioned it, but I've only been there once, and the time I was there was flat out misery. My wife was in Philly for training for her job. She was scheduled to be there for 2 weeks. I was going to "surprise" her by flying out to see her there with my then 4 year old son, and my then 9 month old son. Arriving was not a problem. We were supposed to depart at 12 noon to return home. The flight was delayed 2 hours. Annoying, but no big deal. At 2pm they announced the flight was cancelled and no other flights were available. I explained that I had a 9 month old who I had fed and changed into his last diaper at 1:45pm. The rest of his stuff had been checked in baggage. They found me a United flight that was flying into Columbus, and leaving Philly at 8:40pm. They could not get my bags back to me and there was no place to get infant formula at the airport. To my son's credit, he didn't start crying until about 6pm. I thought he was never going to stop, though. We arrived in Columbus around 10pm and they bus'd us to Dayton. We arrived at Dayton airport around midnight. My parents met us there and brought a fresh diaper and formula. I felt terrible for the little guy. US Air had the nerve to send me a customer comment card a week or two later. I called the local office and proceeded to verbally assault anyone they handed the phone to. I was not happy.

RedsFan75
01-22-2007, 03:12 PM
RL, your story about the way you were treated and the way it was handled sounds so typical of about every flight I've ever tried to take out of there. And it didn't really matter which Airline I was on. Delta, United, US, Northwest, I've had trouble on all of them. US Airways got me into Charlotte late enough that they had to book me on the next day and the guy at the service desk told me the only reason I couldn't make my connections was Philladelphia's incompentence.

I've missed more connections and stayed over at more cities because of delays and cancellations out of Philly that, when I can, I fly through Allentown instead.

Plus, how many other airports have gates where you have to leave security and go back through it to get to a different concourse...?

timmario66
01-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Best
-Albuquerque - great food, free wi-fi, picturesque
-Savannah - clean, easy to use, good food
-Dayton - cheap to park, easy access
-Austin - good music, good food, very clean, easy to get around

Good
-Cleveland - getting better each year
-Memphis - just for the BBQ
-New Orleans - good food, relaxed atmosphere
-Cincinnati - don't have a problem like other people, I like terminal A, less crowded and easier to get to. Despise Terminal C

Bad
-Miami - dirty, always crowded, English is a 2nd language
-Atlanta - connecting flight is always at a different terminal no matter what, too busy
-Baltimore - always under construction, dirty, no good food
-Dallas - hard to get between terminals, OK food, tight getting around
-Newark or Laguardia - always dirty & crowded

oneupper
01-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm a bit surprised about the love Denver is getting. The airport is in the middle of nowhere, getting a rental car takes forever (including waiting outside in the 'weather" for a bus). Can be VERY busy and there is always the possibility of getting snowed in.

There are some amenities in the main terminal, but the concourses have few options.

Not the worst, I guess, but hardly on my list of favorites.

I recently flew home from El Paso...that was ok for a small airport.

TeamCasey
01-22-2007, 07:53 PM
In my experience:

Worst - Newark - way overbooked, hard to take off or land. Car rental is a nightmare. Getting around is confusing.

Best - Cincinnati .... at least there's a few things to do during a wait.

TeamCasey
01-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Minor thing that annoys me when I'm in airports now: many of the shops/ restaurants are outside of the gate areas. With the added security, it sucks.

Hey TSA ....... it's a cup of coffee ....... it's only going to kill me!

Betterread
01-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Worst: Philadelphia - Rude, unhelpful staff are everywhere you turn, which reflects poorly on the city. Dirty and poorly designed.
Best: Palm Springs - Great efficient little airport - very Hollywood, with orange trees and Palms everywhere. Open and sunny.

mole44
01-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Worst: Philadelphia - Rude, unhelpful staff are everywhere you turn, which reflects poorly on the city. Dirty and poorly designed.

Yep, pretty much sums up the entire city

Highlifeman21
01-22-2007, 09:00 PM
I have to defend PHL.

If you fly Southwest Airlines, it's probably one of the best airports around. I've had nothing but great experiences flying SWA in and out of PHL. I've probably made close to 30 trips in and out of PHL, 26 SWA and 4 US Airways and all of my PHL experiences have been smooth sailing compared to CVG, ORD, ATL or DFW. The beauty about SWA is you can check in 24 Hours in advance, so you literally just walk up, drop off your bag, and then go play with TSA and you're all set. It's that easy.

I guess you just have to be in the know about the ins and outs of PHL to make it a great experience. Granted, it doesn't have some of the upscale shopping and or food and drink of some of the other airports nationwide, but last time I checked, I choose airports on proximity and reliability.

Cyclone792
01-22-2007, 09:13 PM
I've flown in and out of Philly once each on Southwest, and I didn't have any major problems either way. Now dealing with Phillies fans in Citizens Bank Park is an entirely different story, but I won't head toward that tangent.

Anyhow, the only minor problem I experienced with Philly was the outgoing flight being delayed about 10-15 minutes since we had to exit the plane after originally boarding due to a security concern, although I will add this flight was in mid-August just days after that liquid explosive fiasco in Europe. TSA checked everyone's bags again at the gate before allowing people to board again, but it only took about 10 minutes so it wasn't too bad. I didn't even have any carry-on items except what was in my pockets so I had it easy compared to others.

The rest was pretty much as Highlifeman described it: checked in the night before online, dropped off the bags, then had fun with TSA. The lines were rather long for both baggage check and getting through security, but there was a ton of help there so the lines actually moved fairly quickly.

I don't fly too often, maybe about three roundtrips per year or so, but all my recent airport experiences have been fine in airports such as Cincy, Columbus, Las Vegas, Tampa, and Philly. Nothing great, but nothing lousy either. As long as they don't take my music away from me while waiting in the terminal, I'm pretty easy to please since I'll just grab a seat and listen to some tunes while waiting to board the plane.

vaticanplum
01-22-2007, 09:28 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, I love O'Hare. The first time I ever flew into O'Hare I had been awake for 56 straight hours and I walked off the plane into this clean, beautiful world playing soft non-airport music...and then I walked through that hall of lights. i felt like I was tripping. I feel like O'Hare was renovated before a lot of the other recent airports so it stands out in my mind. Midway, by contrast, is horrendous. Poorly marked and nobody who works there seems to have any clue what's going on.

Newark has gotten a lot better since it's been renovated and added the airtrain into the city. At least the people who work there know what they're doing, and it's pretty efficient. LaGuardia is my favorite NY airport though, incredibly efficient and well laid-out.

I have bad memories of Detroit because I got stuck there over Christmas during the blizzard a couple of years ago and it was a nightmare. I was in some dinky wing of the airport with no chairs and they refused to tell us that our flight was canceled (which, of course, it was) because they didn't want to refund our tickets.

But the worst airport on the face of the earth is Charles de Gaulle. Every single time I fly in and out of the airport somebody tries to blow up a plane on the same day. Ok, it's happened twice, but that's still a pretty horrific track record. It's dirty, it's crowded, it's loud, and no matter where you're going within the airport it invariably takes you four hours, nine hundred miles, and sixteen shuttle buses to get there. However, in contrast to the popular misconception about French customer service, the people who work there are generally amazing. Well, they have to be in order to lift that airport out of hell in any way. I would say that Atlanta is a close second.

edit: I should point out that I have notoriously bad luck flying. I was born under a black flying storm cloud and it's never let up my whole life. i could write a book on my experiences, they're so unbelievable; I've considered doing so, in fact.

Yachtzee
01-22-2007, 09:28 PM
I used to fly all the time, but I haven't had much opportunity since 9/11 (just coincidental change in careers). I would have to say that Kansas City was the best to fly into, but the worst to fly out of. Each gate had its own separate security, so once you went to your gate, you were separated from food, drink, restrooms, etc. If you had a few carry-ons, you would just suffer rather than have to go through the security each time you wanted to do something. Some gates would get extremely cramped because everyone was corralled into the gate by the security stations. On the other hand, when you flew into KC, you were practically off your plane and onto the curb to wait for the rental shuttle.

Chicago Midway was like a 3rd World country's airport until they renovated it. After the renovations I actually preferred flying into Midway to flying into O'Hare. However, O'Hare does have a Billy Goat Tavern in one its terminals. I hate the American terminal though, but mainly because I'm no fan of American Airlines.

Cleveland is not bad, but if you get put out in Concourse D, you have a hike ahead of you.

I only had one experience with Minneapolis/St. Paul and it was bad. I just remember landing at one end and having to run to the other.

I have odd feelings toward Newark. The airport itself was dirty, but since I've only been there on my way to Europe, I've always been excited hanging out, waiting for my flight.

The Munich Airport is cool. You can get a nice Weissbier and Wiesswurst combo at one of the airport cafes.

George Foster
01-22-2007, 09:38 PM
The easiest airports to fly out of is Ft. Myers, and Lexington.

The best looking airport is Big Sky Montana. The inside of the terminal looks like a huge log cabin. It's awesome.

Denver is a horrible airport to fly in and out of, and one of the most expensive as well:thumbdown

Ltlabner
01-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I like Milwaukee's Billy Mitchel Airport. Small, quick security, nice food and shops. Plus a little airport museum that helps pass the time. The airport in Providence RI is always busy but never chaotic and the check in/security stations are quick and painless.

I've had good luck in Denver but the rental car lots are on the other side of the planet. It's a little confusing but not too bad. I've only been to LAX once but it didn't impress me at all. LaGordia seemed kinda dumpy. I like OHare but if you don't enjoy flying I can see why it might be overwhelming.

Dayton, Dulles, National, Fort Lauderdale, Detroit and Atlanta all pretty much fall into the run-of-the-mill category.

I've got conflicting opinions on Cincinnati. The Delta security checkpoint is always understaffed and overwhelmed. I often fly Comair so that means the bus ride to the Comair terminal. The Comair bording areas are big cattle pens and are rather cramped. My baggage is often sent to the wrong carasell or takes 45 minutes to be sent up the ramp. OTOH check in is quick and effecient. There are lots of shops and resturants and there are great views from the terminals so you can watch airplanes to pass the time.

I also liked Schipol Airport in Amsterdam. Well laid out, big, clean, effecient. Customs and security was quick and effecient. Looking forward to getting back there sometime.

cincinnati chili
01-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm a bit surprised about the love Denver is getting. The airport is in the middle of nowhere, getting a rental car takes forever (including waiting outside in the 'weather" for a bus). Can be VERY busy and there is always the possibility of getting snowed in.

There are some amenities in the main terminal, but the concourses have few options.

You've summed up the problem that I have with this thread. People are answering "best airports" in terms of "best place to have a layover." Yes, Denver has some restaurants. Yes, Denver is architecturally unique. Yes, Denver offers nice views of the mountains on a clear day.

It's completely unpractical to the vast majority of people who start or end their trip in Denver.

Let me offer an anology to Cincinnati geography. Imagine if the CVG airport were an additional 20 minutes into Kentucky. Then, imagine that once you got to the airport, you had to park your car an additional 10 minute walk or bus ride away. Then imagine, you had to spend an additional 20-45 minutes getting through security, onto the subway-style train and to your gate.

Back when they were telling the country to get to the airport 2 hours before a domestic flight, they were telling us in Denver to allow 3.

The footprint for the Denver airport, IIRC, is 8 miles by 7 miles (56 square miles). IIRC, That's way bigger than any any airport in North America besides Mexico City or LAX. So why did they find it necessary to pump so much money and real estate into a mid-size city airport?

1. They think metro Denver is going to grow in population (it is; but not like Mexico City)

2. They wanted to make an airport that was relatively weatherproof. The old airport, closer to Downtown, used to leave travelers stranded all the time.

Mother nature played a mean trick on the airport in December. Even once they were able to get the runways plowed, the airport was so far out in the middle of nowhere that passengers and employees couldn't get there!

It may have been a necessary evil to have all these excesses (tourism, weatherproofing, etc), but in no way is Denver an easy airport.

To me, a "good" airport means easy in, and easy out, and flights are not bloody likely to get cancelled. Some of the ones mentioned above as bad, I've found to be great:

- Sarasota/Bradenton
- Colorado Springs
- Portland, Maine

KYRedsFan
01-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Hit the Southwest connection b/w Louisville and Midway. Midway is essentially completely brand new. Very nice all around. Efficient, and easy in and out driving and on the El. Louisville not bad, doesn't hurt that you can get a cocktail from BBC right outside my gate. Ohare, uggghhhhhh. Terrible. Perpetual construction everywhere. The on time rating is horrible for the airport and their main airlines. Hate going out of there.

CougarQuest
01-22-2007, 11:48 PM
I'd rather have a root canal than go to Philly's airport. And don't fall for that "City of Brotherly Love" bs. The four times I've been there, apparently every single person in there found out: their dog just died; their spouse was having an affair; they were being audited by the IRS; and they were having a colonoscopy the next morning.

M2
01-22-2007, 11:58 PM
To me, a "good" airport means easy in, and easy out, and flights are not bloody likely to get cancelled.

I'm with you. Ideally I don't want any layover. I certainly don't want to spend any excess time in an airport.

Logan sucks when you're inside of it, but it's crazy accessible by public transit. I actually once got from Park St. to Logan in 12 mintues (caught everything perfectly).

Reagan National is pretty well situated. The L goes out to Chicago Midway and O'Hare. The BART goes straight to San Francisco International. Philly International is awfully easy to get to both by car and by the SEPTA R-1 line (stops at every terminal). Yes, the local attitude sucks, but that's got nothing to do with the airport. The two times I've been to Sea-Tac it's been easy in and out. San Diego and Vegas are also fairly easy to get to from the downtown areas.

For me, the worst airport in the U.S. is LaGuardia. Traffic's awful. Getting into Manhattan from it is a misery. It's also on the dirty side, it lacks amenities and flights are constantly delayed or cancelled. I take the Acela into New York whenever I've got business down there. It's actually faster when you figure terminal and transit times into the equation and it's way more comfortable.

Ltlabner
01-23-2007, 06:55 AM
You've summed up the problem that I have with this thread. People are answering "best airports" in terms of "best place to have a layover."

You judge airports differently depending on if you are connecting through them or they are your normal starting/ending point. So "best layover" make make total sense if you are....well..only layingover there.

Frankly, I like Gerald Ford International in Grand Rapids and I've never flown into or out of it in my life. But they have the best drive in observation area bar-none of any airport I've visited.

dman
01-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Best: Columbus (CMH), Reagan National (DCA), Orlando (MCO), and Knoxville (TYS)

Worst: Canton/Akron (CAK), Atlanta (ATL), and O'Hare (ORD)

Isn't there an old saying about Atlanta? If you die and go to hell, you'll have to switch planes in Atlanta on the way.

RFS62
01-23-2007, 08:26 AM
I guess my answer is for best ingress/egress, not best place for a layover.

Newark and LaGuardia suck big time. Just a nightmare if you have to get there anywhere around rush hour. Houston and Miami too.

Agree about Denver as well. So what it's nice inside, getting to it is the problem.

If you really want a thrill landing, check out Charleston or Huntington West Virginia. Looks like you're crashing into the mountaintop until the runway appears.

Charlotte and Ft. Lauderdale would be my pick for ease of access.

15fan
01-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Hartsfield rules.

If you live in Atlanta, it makes life great. I can pretty much fly anywhere I want non-stop. And that's foreign as well as domestic. If I'm staying in the US, a flight anywhere within the eastern or central time zone is about 2 hours max. Need to go some place like Boston, NYC or DC? Flights leave about every 30 minutes, all day long. Same deal with Florida.

My wife travels fairly regularly for work. One of the other really nice things is that MARTA has a rail terminal in the airport. I'll drop my wife off at a train station on my way into work, and she'll zip down to the airport in no time. Same deal when she returns. It's great.

And it's also pretty darn accessible, assuming you aren't one of the soul-less herd that lives in the hell of far-flung northern suburbia. We live just east of downtown, near Decatur. Takes 15-20 minutes max to zip down to the airport.

I also think the food options at Hartsfield are better than just about any other airport I've been to.

LaGuardia is a dump. Period.

I think my favorite airport, though, is Honolulu. Tough to beat an open air airport in the middle of paradise.

westofyou
01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
We live just east of downtown, near Decatur.

You mean Dick Hater don't cha? ;)

Yachtzee
01-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Best: Columbus (CMH), Reagan National (DCA), Orlando (MCO), and Knoxville (TYS)

Worst: Canton/Akron (CAK), Atlanta (ATL), and O'Hare (ORD)

Isn't there an old saying about Atlanta? If you die and go to hell, you'll have to switch planes in Atlanta on the way.

I haven't flown out of there, but I've always heard rave reviews from those who fly in and out of Akron/Canton. I think it's mainly because its a smaller airport and easy to get in and out of.

Most of my experience with non-home airports is from layovers, but here are my insights on getting in and out of airports I know of.

Cleveland isn't too bad at all, but the airport loop can get jammed up with people waiting to pick people up. So if I'm picking someone up, I just bite the bullet and park. The short term parking doesn't cost nearly as much as other cities.

Columbus is also extremely easy to get in and out of.

If we're talking about getting in and out instead of layover, the two Chicago airports differ greatly. Even though I lived on the far north side of town, Midway was always easier to get to than O'Hare. Right on the Orange Line, you could get there taking the Red Line south to the loop and catching the Orange Line to Midway. Likewise, taking the LSD down to the Stevenson Expressway was always a fairly easy drive for Chicago. Getting in and out of O'Hare can be a real hassle. First, taking the El is really only advantageous if your on the Blue Line. Otherwise you have to take the El into the Loop and then back out, which can take forever because the Blue Line is so long. Your other option is to take a cab to a Blue Line station or have someone drop you off on the Blue Line. Driving to O'Hare, unless you're coming or going really late, is always rough. I've rarely driven to O'Hare where the Kennedy Expressway wasn't a parking lot getting into O'Hare. Of course O'Hare has tons more to do on a layover.

I remember it being a real hassle geting into and out of LaGuardia. I think I've only left the premises of Newark once when I've flown there and my experience wasn't good, mainly because the limo that was supposed to pick me up never showed and the one that was supposed to take me back came an hour late.

Vegas, SFO and LAX seemed pretty straight forward. You just have to watch for traffic. Going back to SEA-TAC, I found it difficult to find a place to fill up the tank of the rental car and ended up taking a wrong turn at some point. I had the same problem in Tampa. Of course both instances were related to a lack of familiarity with the area.

Johnny Footstool
01-23-2007, 10:42 AM
I used to fly all the time, but I haven't had much opportunity since 9/11 (just coincidental change in careers). I would have to say that Kansas City was the best to fly into, but the worst to fly out of. Each gate had its own separate security, so once you went to your gate, you were separated from food, drink, restrooms, etc. If you had a few carry-ons, you would just suffer rather than have to go through the security each time you wanted to do something. Some gates would get extremely cramped because everyone was corralled into the gate by the security stations. On the other hand, when you flew into KC, you were practically off your plane and onto the curb to wait for the rental shuttle.

They've remedied this somewhat. The gates are divided into sections according to airlines. The sections each include several gates, and they're pretty large, so there is enough room to sit comfortably. Each section has it's own security station, so if you leave, you do have to go back through security, but the lines are extremely short. And they've added restrooms and concession stands in each section so that you don't have to leave.

Arriving in KC is easier than pretty much anywhere else I've been. The baggage claim areas are divided up, so you don't have a massive luggage corral like, say, Chicago Midway or Phoenix. And once you get your bags, it's a short walk to the curb.

RedsFan75
01-23-2007, 11:19 AM
To me, a "good" airport means easy in, and easy out, and flights are not bloody likely to get cancelled.

Philly still ranks as the worst for me. I've been there enough that I'm very familar with the 'brotherly love' attitude... Rental car processing is fairly straight forward but the access to and from the rental area has you circling the airport a couple times. TSA has always been quick and relatively painless but the concourses are seperated. So there are 3 different secure areas. Heaven forbid if you have to change to another concouse. Delays happen so often it's common place and people have come to be surprised when you leave on time. Part of this is due to it's location in the flight patterns. If a storm hist Detroit planes stack up and delay Philly. If a storm hits Chicago, planes stack up and delay Philly. If a storm hits.... Well you get the picture...

As far as Layover Airports, I happen to like Detroit. Not if my time between flights is short, but if I've got a few hours to kill it's pretty nice. MoTown music, the Chevy and Ford stores, a FoxSports bar, Several nice resturants...

vaticanplum
01-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Wow, I am really surprised by all the LaGuardia comments. I've always thought it was very convenient -- easily accessible by car or public transport and very close to Manhattan. JFK and Newark are eons away by comparison, and though both have those new train routes, they're expensive to get to.

Heath
01-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Wow, I am really surprised by all the LaGuardia comments. I've always thought it was very convenient -- easily accessible by car or public transport and very close to Manhattan. JFK and Newark are eons away by comparison, and though both have those new train routes, they're expensive to get to.

VP - That M60 bus drives you from Harlem and Upper West Side pretty quickly - but it's a Taxi Driver's Heaven. The Subway at least takes you to the airtrain and then into JFK.

vaticanplum
01-23-2007, 09:09 PM
VP - That M60 bus drives you from Harlem and Upper West Side pretty quickly - but it's a Taxi Driver's Heaven. The Subway at least takes you to the airtrain and then into JFK.

Yeah, but for like 13 bucks. The M60 can also take you to the subway, that's two dollars total, and quicker too.

I guess a lot of this depends on your destination.

15fan
01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
You mean Dick Hater don't cha? ;)

Somethin' like that.

Though it's been fascinating to watch the way the 'hood has transformed in the 3 years that we've lived here. The hold-over hippies are still going strong, as are the folks who choose to date within their own gender.

But the families with young kids are growing in number pretty quickly.

Makes for a very interesting neighborhood.

Which I think is absolutely great.

RBA
01-23-2007, 10:22 PM

Maybe if you are going to and from LaGuardia that is probably true. But if you are just switching planes there, it can be a nightmare. You have to go outside the terminal to get to the other terminal and back through security. The airport is not post 9/11 friendly.

Las Vegas is nice, but in most cases, you walk for ever to get to and from your gate.

LAX, switching planes there can be a hassle.

DFW, it's getting better, they have upgraged the AA Train.

ELP, easy in and out, nice airport. Downside: paying for wi-fi.

Colorado Springs, pretty solide, easy in/out and free wi-fi

San Diego, small but functional.

Orange County Airport (SNA) Good
Ontario (Calif) Nice and easy.

Oakland: Pretty good.
Eugene: Nice little airport.
Portland, Oregon: Easy airport to navigate and helpful employees.

SeaTac: Gates are too far from check-in
ATL: A lot of train traveling

DENVER: Rental Car locations to far away.

Spokane: Nice little airport
Buffalo: Not too bad

Fresno: Okay
Santa Maria, CA Nice and small, but expensive to fly from

Santa Barbara: Too small for the the size of the city.

Honolulu: Another airport where you have to walk forever.

CVG: nice, but seems too sterile

LEX: Nice small airport, perfect size for the area.

PHX: Too much walking, America West never parks your next plane next to the plane you're transferring too.

Venice, Italy: Nothing note worthy.

BWI: Not too bad.

Heathrow: Can be hetic.

Iraklion, Crete: Nice small airport.

Athens, Greece: Nightmare in 1990

Schipol, nice airport.

JFK: mediorce

STL: Coming in was okay, new MetroLink takes you on a tour of the scariest parts of the city. I'm thinking of not taking the MetroLink back out on Friday.

Burlington, VT: a little too small, cramp.

Key West: Too small

Yachtzee
01-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Iraklion, Crete: Nice small airport.

Hey! I've actually flown into that airport 2x. The first was for an Easter break vacation and the second was on my honeymoon. Funny story about the Easter trip. We flew to Crete on a small Greek carrier called Venus Airlines. The planes had apparently been leased/purchased from a Slovenian carrier, as all the signs were in Greek and Slovenian. As it was, the plane was a very rickety MD-80 (I think) that seemed to make a lot more noise on take-off than we were used to. We're on the plane with a bunch of drunk Austrians going on holiday to Crete, and there was much drinking and smoking on the way down (no smoking ban in effect in Europe at this time). Anyway, the plane makes an initial stop at one end of Crete to drop off passengers at Chania and add enough fuel to get us to Iraklion. While they're gassing up the plane this crazy Austrian lady who looks like she was hit in the face with a frying pan lights up a cigarette. I've never seen flight attendants move so quick to tackle a passenger. The chief flight attendant then yelled at her, telling her that they were fueling the plane with highly flammable jet fuel. I thought for sure they were going to kick her off the plane, but the let her stay on. Then we flew to Iraklion.

After landing at Iraklion, of course, you disembark down the old-timey staircase to walk to the shuttle bus that takes you to the terminal. No sooner do we get to the bottom of the stairs than the crazy lady lights up a smoke...UNDERNEATH THE WING NEAR AN ENGINE! My friends and I looked at her, looked at each other, and yelled "RUN!" We got to that shuttle so fast. As soon as crazy lady got to the terminal, the authorities took her into a room to have a talk with her.

I miss Greece.

pedro
01-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Hartsfield rules.

If you live in Atlanta, it makes life great. I can pretty much fly anywhere I want non-stop. And that's foreign as well as domestic. If I'm staying in the US, a flight anywhere within the eastern or central time zone is about 2 hours max. Need to go some place like Boston, NYC or DC? Flights leave about every 30 minutes, all day long. Same deal with Florida.

My wife travels fairly regularly for work. One of the other really nice things is that MARTA has a rail terminal in the airport. I'll drop my wife off at a train station on my way into work, and she'll zip down to the airport in no time. Same deal when she returns. It's great.

And it's also pretty darn accessible, assuming you aren't one of the soul-less herd that lives in the hell of far-flung northern suburbia. We live just east of downtown, near Decatur. Takes 15-20 minutes max to zip down to the airport.

I also think the food options at Hartsfield are better than just about any other airport I've been to.

LaGuardia is a dump. Period.

I think my favorite airport, though, is Honolulu. Tough to beat an open air airport in the middle of paradise.

I'm with you on that 15Fan. I lived in L5P/Candler Park for 10 years and traveled a lot on business. Being able to fly direct was huge.

15fan
01-24-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm with you on that 15Fan. I lived in L5P/Candler Park for 10 years and traveled a lot on business. Being able to fly direct was huge.

I thought I remembered you being familiar with this part of town.

Back before the holidays, they ripped down the Fellini's on McLendon. It's being rebuilt with a projected opening of May. In the meantime, we've been grubbing at Mojo Pizza over in Oakhurst. :thumbup: Not sure we'll go back to Fellini's when it reopens.

Oh, and all of those nasty abandoned buildings along Dekalb Ave (between say, the East Lake Marta station and Moreland) are being ripped down and replaced with townhomes in the $300k - $400k range. And someone is building a private pool over near the Horizons School, too. Lots o' progress in these parts these days...

Patpacillosjock
01-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Denver by FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

and Vegas as well since you know you are flying back to LA versus Hungover driving

Atlanta is the worst

oneupper
01-24-2007, 09:00 AM
STL: Coming in was okay, new MetroLink takes you on a tour of the scariest parts of the city. I'm thinking of not taking the MetroLink back out on Friday.

You're not kidding. I had a connection/delay in STL with the family (flying to DEN...figures), so we decided to take the Metrolink out to see the Arch.

The Arch was nice...the trip was scary. One Junkyard/shantytown after another.

Johnny Footstool
01-24-2007, 10:41 AM
You're not kidding. I had a connection/delay in STL with the family (flying to DEN...figures), so we decided to take the Metrolink out to see the Arch.

The Arch was nice...the trip was scary. One Junkyard/shantytown after another.

The rich folks have enough political clout to keep the train our of their part of town.

westofyou
01-24-2007, 11:06 AM
The Arch was nice...the trip was scary. One Junkyard/shantytown after another.Try the train from Philly to NYC someday..... Living in America....

Heath
01-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Try the train from Philly to NYC someday..... Living in America....

Does it take you through Camden, NJ?

The Bronx Zoo is an interesting locale for a zoo - plus the three block walk from the subway to the zoo was covered in trees of which I cared not to know what the yelling was all about.

VR
01-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Conde Nast rated PDX #1 in 2006, it's a wonderful airport.

http://aviationweek.typepad.com/airports/2006/10/conde_nast_trav.html

I agree with the Phoenix/ AmericaWorst nightmare. Yikes.
Flying United into Dulles is tragic as well, the transport vehicle from one terminal to the other is ridiculous.

pedro
01-24-2007, 06:05 PM
I thought I remembered you being familiar with this part of town.

Back before the holidays, they ripped down the Fellini's on McLendon. It's being rebuilt with a projected opening of May. In the meantime, we've been grubbing at Mojo Pizza over in Oakhurst. :thumbup: Not sure we'll go back to Fellini's when it reopens.

Oh, and all of those nasty abandoned buildings along Dekalb Ave (between say, the East Lake Marta station and Moreland) are being ripped down and replaced with townhomes in the $300k - $400k range. And someone is building a private pool over near the Horizons School, too. Lots o' progress in these parts these days...

I was back there a few months ago and was amazed by the "in-filling' of new houses. BTW- I lived on Hardendorf for a couple of years and on North Highland for about 6.

I like Mojo's too...

pedro
01-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Conde Nast rated PDX #1 in 2006, it's a wonderful airport.

http://aviationweek.typepad.com/airports/2006/10/conde_nast_trav.html

I agree with the Phoenix/ AmericaWorst nightmare. Yikes.
Flying United into Dulles is tragic as well, the transport vehicle from one terminal to the other is ridiculous.

PDX is a VERY nice airport.

M2
01-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Try making the trip between LaGuardia and Manhattan during the morning or afternoon rush hour, which is what most business travelers have to endure.

vaticanplum
01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Try making the trip between LaGuardia and Manhattan during the morning or afternoon rush hour, which is what most business travelers have to endure.

Well, that's just the nature of the city, it's not the airport's fault. And it can't possibly be as long a commute as the other two NY airports. I would think it would be next to impossible to put an airport any closer to Manhattan than LaGuardia.

SandyD
01-24-2007, 10:30 PM

A friend was scheduled to land at LaGuardia at 5:30pm for a 7:30 event in Manhattan. He got off the plane after 6pm. He didn't make it. Don't think he would have if his flight had been on time either.

Blimpie
01-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Very topical thread for me as my recent travels have had me visiting six different airports during the last 12 days...

Best Commercial Aviation
Cincinnati
Denver
Tampa Bay
West Palm Beach
Phoenix
Pittsburgh (after remodel)
Ft. Lauderdale

Best General Aviation
Hilton Head Island (right off the Cross Island Parkway)
Cleveland (the one on the edge of the lake)
Newport, RI (off Goat Island)
Lexington (TAC-AIR Terminal)

Worst Commercial Aviation
La Guardia
JFK
Newark
Atlanta
Reagan (DC)
Logan (Boston)
Miami

Worst General Aviation
Jacksonville
Marion County (near Tazewell, VA)
Allentown, PA

Blimpie
01-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Try making the trip between LaGuardia and Manhattan during the morning or afternoon rush hour, which is what most business travelers have to endure.The NYC traffic patterns are really unpredictable....

On Monday, I flew into JFK (much further from the city) around 12:15pm and was somehow able to make a midtown meeting (Madison & 42nd) by 1:30pm. I have never been more elated to pay for a $ 50 cab ride.

However, when I left Lower Manhattan yesterday about 3:30 on my way to La Guardia (much closer to the city) it took me roughly the same amount of time.

captainmorgan07
01-25-2007, 12:02 AM
atlanta is ridiculous orlando is nice pittsburgh is ehh not that great

dman
01-25-2007, 12:29 AM
I'll chime in on best General Aviation:

1. Parkersburg/Wood County
2. Wheeling/Ohio County
3. Burke Lakefront (Cleveland)
4. Xenia/Greene County
5. Cambridge Municipal (Ohio)

M2
01-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Well, that's just the nature of the city, it's not the airport's fault. And it can't possibly be as long a commute as the other two NY airports. I would think it would be next to impossible to put an airport any closer to Manhattan than LaGuardia.

You could run a train to it to get around that problem. Why they didn't is a marvelous story of graft and corruption. Stories like the ones Sandy and Blimpie just told about LaGuardia are common. San Francisco International, as others have mentioned, isn't geographically close to the city, but I can get downtown from it in 30 minutes, no questions asked. I couldn't tell you how many times I've flown into LaGuardia, but I've never made the trip between it and Manhattan in that kind of time. That doesn't even touch upon the constantly delayed flights there or the numerous cancellations I've had to endure. It's why I take the Acela. It's easy to get to Penn Station. The train is usually on time. The ride is comfortable and it's cheaper.

wolfboy
01-25-2007, 01:00 AM
I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I figured I'd add my vote: Philly is the most godawful airport I've been through. I've flown through there several times, and each time was bad. It's a pain in the everything to navigate for connecting flights, your luggage usually gets lost there, and nothing runs on time. Did I mention that it's dirty?
The best? Gallatin in Bozeman or Green Int'l in Providence maybe? I can't say I really enjoy airports.

pedro
01-25-2007, 01:01 AM
atlanta is a great home airport, but probably not so hot as a place to transfer flights.

15fan
01-25-2007, 09:44 AM
You could run a train to it to get around that problem. Why they didn't is a marvelous story of graft and corruption. Stories like the ones Sandy and Blimpie just told about LaGuardia are common.

Amen.

For a city that has mass transit figured out about as well as any other on the planet, the lack of subway links to LaGuardia is mind-boggling.

Heath
01-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Amen.

For a city that has mass transit figured out about as well as any other on the planet, the lack of subway links to LaGuardia is mind-boggling.

Three words Taxi-Drivers-Union.

Chip R
01-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Back in the mid to late 90s I used to fly a few times every year. I haven't flown since X-Mas of 2001. I've never really had a bad experience in any airport except Jackson Hole, WY where we were were trying to get to Chicago and they had plane problems and we had to stay in that airport all day. There is precious little to do there. Thank God the coffee shop/gift shop had a book about Robert E. Lee I could read while waiting all day.

deltachi8
01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
atlanta is a great home airport, but probably not so hot as a place to transfer flights.

I transfer in Atlanta or Conicnnati whenever I am on Delta and have never had a problem with Atlanta. It's big and busy but the train makes it quick and painless to get from terminal to terminal. I also like the number of places to eat, etc.

Cincinnati is an airport I like outside of the Com Air/Delta Connection terminal which is awful in my opinion.

Blimpie
01-25-2007, 06:45 PM
I'll chime in on best General Aviation:

1. Parkersburg/Wood County
2. Wheeling/Ohio County
3. Burke Lakefront (Cleveland)
4. Xenia/Greene County
5. Cambridge Municipal (Ohio)Yep...that's the one I was trying to recall earlier.