PDA

View Full Version : Mystery team jumps into Tomo Ohka negotiations

savafan
01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
From Rotoworld:

An undisclosed team joined the Blue Jays, Nationals and Pirates as finalists for free agent Tomo Ohka with a bid made on Sunday.
Ohka is expected to make his decision by the end of the week. The Mets, Mariners, Red Sox and Diamondbacks previously had interest in Ohka, but the mystery team isn't necessarily from that group. It's especially unlikely that either Boston or Arizona made a late bid. The Astros, Cardinals, Reds and Giants could all use one more starter and might be candidates.

justincredible
01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
I sure as heck wouldn't mind adding him to the end of the rotation.

anthonyb
01-22-2007, 02:52 PM
we should go out and sign this guy

redsupport
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
immediately

corkedbat
01-22-2007, 03:10 PM
at a reasonable right price

Johnny Footstool
01-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Meh. Can't get too excited about a guy with a K/9 under 5.

He's BTWWH (Better than what we have), I guess.

cincrazy
01-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Putting him in there sure beats whoever we'd put in the #5 spot. I love Homer Bailey, but he's not ready yet. Adding Ohka would make the bottom of our rotation more solid. Does anyone really have any confidence at all in Elizardo after the way he folded last year under the heat of the pennant race?

With Harang and Arroyo, the top of our rotation is in very good shape, and if just one of the three out of the group of Milton, Lohse or Ohka worked out, we'd have three good starter's, which is more than most teams in the NL can probably say. Ohka is by no means a top of the rotation pitcher, but our infield defense should be better this year, and adding a ground ball pitcher sure as hell wouldn't hurt for a change. Hopefully we can get it done. I"m not holding my breath, though.

TRF
01-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Does anyone really have any confidence at all in Elizardo after the way he folded last year under the heat of the pennant race?

Maybe pitching on back to back days, extra innings on the first day in relief, starting the next day then subsequently getting injured might have had something to do with how he pitched.

You do not give up on 23 year old starters that have an excellent changeup and hit 94 mph with their FB. All he needs is a little movement on that fastball. I think Soto, if brought to ST again this year can help him with this.

WMR
01-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Does Elizardo really throw a 94 mph heater? I thought he averaged quite a few mph below that.

Chip R
01-22-2007, 05:54 PM
What, you guys don't like what we got already? :lol:

TRF
01-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Does Elizardo really throw a 94 mph heater? I thought he averaged quite a few mph below that.

92-94 is what i saw in quite a few starts. His problem isn't heat. He's got that. It's movement. He doesn't walk a lot of guys either. He needs a little wrinkle on his FB. I think he's a fine #3. Better than Milton or Lohse.

Johnny Footstool
01-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Ohka is by no means a top of the rotation pitcher, but our infield defense should be better this year, and adding a ground ball pitcher sure as hell wouldn't hurt for a change. Hopefully we can get it done. I"m not holding my breath, though.

Ohka was a groundball pitcher earlier in his career, but the past few seasons he has been almost exactly neutral.

Ltlabner
01-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Does anyone really have any confidence at all in Elizardo after the way he folded last year under the heat of the pennant race?

I'd say the growth that EZ showed from 2005 to 2006 alone warrents him being the front runner for #5.

And he was doing moderatley well until the debacle in Philly and then was injured. In fact, he wasn't even really around during the "heat of the pennant" race was he? So I wouldn't say he folded.

Ltlabner
01-22-2007, 06:34 PM
It would be interesting if they could snag Ohka AND make a deal for Milton.

What does everybody think about Ohka, Loshe and EZ as the 3,4 and 5? I'm not advocating that, mind you, just throwing it out there. That is versus the alternative of Milton, Loshe and EZ.

Puffy
01-22-2007, 06:38 PM
What does everybody think about Ohka, Loshe and EZ as the 3,4 and 5? I'm not advocating that, mind you, just throwing it out there.

:barf:

AdamDunn
01-22-2007, 06:49 PM
yuck... we aren't even going to compete this year, why should we go and sign him for a year? Let's give some guys we already got a shot. I think EZ or Paul Wilson (yes, I said it, Paul Wilson) could do well... besides, we got Homer Bailey coming sometime this season (probably). We don't need to spend money on a less than mediocare pitcher.

RedLegSuperStar
01-22-2007, 06:50 PM

Elizardo went down way to early to be considered part of the pennant race. He has shown real strides to be a solid member of the rotation. Minus injuries that hampered with his 06 season.. Elizardo could put up numbers comparable to Milton and Lohse if healthy.. and those guess are locks for the rotation.

reds44
01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Getting Okha would be a really, really good move by Wayne.

jmac
01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
yuck... we aren't even going to compete this year, why should we go and sign him for a year? Let's give some guys we already got a shot. I think EZ or Paul Wilson (yes, I said it, Paul Wilson) could do well... besides, we got Homer Bailey coming sometime this season (probably). We don't need to spend money on a less than mediocare pitcher.

The question is how far away are we from competing in a not-so-tough NL.
If one more pitcher could make a difference i say go for it.

Dracodave
01-22-2007, 09:06 PM
The question is how far away are we from competing in a not-so-tough NL.
If one more pitcher could make a difference i say go for it.

If thats all we need, and my thoughts last year where always we needed a solid reliever and another starter to really win the division. Then my main thing is, waste all the money in the world to get Ohka only if you think Ohka can provide the time with the sense that "hey we have a chance to win today!" everytime he hits the mound.

AdamDunn
01-22-2007, 09:35 PM
If thats all we need, and my thoughts last year where always we needed a solid reliever and another starter to really win the division. Then my main thing is, waste all the money in the world to get Ohka only if you think Ohka can provide the time with the sense that "hey we have a chance to win today!" everytime he hits the mound.

Which definally isn't the case.

dunner13
01-22-2007, 09:38 PM
The problem is ohka is going to want a contract similar to marquis. Which im not willing to do. I think lohse has just as much potential for 07 and we already have him signed for the year. I dont see us signing another free agent pitcher till miltons contract is gone after this year. If in 08 we still have harang, arroyo and bailey should be ready to dominate the league for a full year by 08 and then we use the money we save from milton to go aquire another solid starter, we could have the best rotation in the NL.

Will M
01-22-2007, 10:18 PM
The problem is ohka is going to want a contract similar to marquis. Which im not willing to do. I think lohse has just as much potential for 07 and we already have him signed for the year. I dont see us signing another free agent pitcher till miltons contract is gone after this year. If in 08 we still have harang, arroyo and bailey should be ready to dominate the league for a full year by 08 and then we use the money we save from milton to go aquire another solid starter, we could have the best rotation in the NL.

I agree 100%.

Lohse will be worth the money he gets this year. He wants to cash in ( he is a free agent at the end of 2007 ). We are stuck with Milton.
At the end of this year we can go out and try to get another starter.
2008 rotation: Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Free agent & EZ ( assuming EZ pitches well this year ).

Tom Servo
01-22-2007, 10:22 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/today/s_489736.html

This article here says Ohka only wants a one-year deal so he can test the market again next year. This would definatly make him a more desireable target.

cincrazy
01-22-2007, 11:52 PM
I wasn't trying to rip Elizardo, but the guy just didn't seem up to the task to me. I just thought, and this is my opinion, that he was overwhelmed last season.

And I know that he got hurt, but how many innings had he thrown in a season before last year? I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet he couldn't withstand a #3 starter's workload this season without breaking down again. I'm not saying he won't work out in the long run, I happen to think that he will, but with that being said if we're relying on him to be our #3 starter this year, we're in a world of trouble. In 2008, maybe that strategy will work. But not 2007.

If we're going to compete this year, we need someone that has a better chance of working out in the 3 spot, and I think Ohka has the best shot out of anyone else that we have within the organization. He's not the pitcher that he was, but he's still better than anyone we have, IMO.

Also, I have a hard time believing Milton, Lohse, and Elizardo will ALL be healthy for the entire season. Ohka would give us more depth, and more options, because some of the options are bound to fail.

BUT, with all of that being said, I'll take a 120 loss season before I sign Ohka to a Marquis-like deal. If the price is reasonable, I'd love to have him. Otherwise, he's not worth the risk.

Bigredfan#1
01-23-2007, 01:05 AM
I am not crazy about Ohka, I would rather take a chance on bringing someone in that had a high ceiling and has not lived up to it because of injuries or not making the right adjustments - say like a Armas. If we are not going to bring someone in that is going to improve our rotation much I would save the money and use it later

Tom Servo
01-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Rotoworld is reporting Ohka's signed a one-year deal with the Blue Jay's. So much for the mystery team.

Danny Serafini
01-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Just heard it. He rejected a 2 year deal because he thinks he can get more on the market next year.

Red Leader
01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
My guess is that Ohka gets pounded by the Red Sox and Yankees playing in that division and doesn't get the contract he wants next year, either.

If he wanted to settle for a 1 year contract to get a good contract next year, he should have stayed in the NL.

Jaycint
01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Let's be honest guys, we weren't the mystery team anyways. We just weren't...

Reds Fanatic
01-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Looks like the deal is for between $750,000 and a $1 million dollars. He turned down 2 year deals from the Nationals and Pirates.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6400990

Blue Jays, Ohka agree on one-year deal
The Blue Jays, adding another piece to their starting rotation, have reached preliminary agreement with free-agent right-hander Tomo Ohka on a one-year contract, FOXSports.com has learned.

The size of the contract was not immediately known, but it is believed that Ohka will receive between $750,000 and $1 million. The deal will not become official until Ohka passes a physical. He missed more than two months with the Brewers last season due to a partial tear of his right rotator cuff.

The addition of Ohka, 30, will give the Jays five veterans for their rotation — right-handers Roy Halladay and A.J. Burnett, left-hander Gustavo Chacin and righties Ohka and John Thomson. Righties Casey Janssen and Shaun Marcum, both 26, are among the other rotation options.

Ohka's agent, Jim Masteralexis, said that the pitcher turned down two-year offers from the Nationals and Pirates because he wanted to re-establish himself with a contender and re-enter the free-agent market next off-season.

"We think that it's important to get him to a club that is competitive and that has a good offense," Masteralexis told FOXSports.com. "He has never had run support in his career. The A.L. East is a tough place to pitch, but we think Tomo will prove that he is healthy and that he can compete at the highest level."

TRF
01-26-2007, 02:04 PM
I wasn't trying to rip Elizardo, but the guy just didn't seem up to the task to me. I just thought, and this is my opinion, that he was overwhelmed last season.

And I know that he got hurt, but how many innings had he thrown in a season before last year? I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet he couldn't withstand a #3 starter's workload this season without breaking down again. I'm not saying he won't work out in the long run, I happen to think that he will, but with that being said if we're relying on him to be our #3 starter this year, we're in a world of trouble. In 2008, maybe that strategy will work. But not 2007.

If we're going to compete this year, we need someone that has a better chance of working out in the 3 spot, and I think Ohka has the best shot out of anyone else that we have within the organization. He's not the pitcher that he was, but he's still better than anyone we have, IMO.

Also, I have a hard time believing Milton, Lohse, and Elizardo will ALL be healthy for the entire season. Ohka would give us more depth, and more options, because some of the options are bound to fail.

BUT, with all of that being said, I'll take a 120 loss season before I sign Ohka to a Marquis-like deal. If the price is reasonable, I'd love to have him. Otherwise, he's not worth the risk.

In 2005, AAA + MLB EZ pitched 152 2/3 innings. In 2006 after being woefully mismanaged by Narron, EZ pitched a total of 104 MLB innings, 20 at AAA and 4 at Dayton in what was a ridiculous roster move after the All-Star break.

I think EZ is ready, IF HEALTHY to hit 160+ IP as a starter for the Reds.

yeah, I'm an EZ fan. His delivery is very smooth, and IMO he's got what it takes to succeed.