PDA

View Full Version : Things that don't make any sense at first glance.....

texasdave
01-23-2007, 09:49 AM
In the activity limbo you raise the bar by lowering it.

gonelong
01-23-2007, 12:24 PM
You park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.

Things to be delivered by car are shipments. Things to be delivered by ships are cargo.

GL

Puffy
01-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Paris Hilton being famous.

Caseyfan21
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
In baseball a ball that hits the foul pole is actually fair.

Matt700wlw
01-23-2007, 04:50 PM
The true age of Julio Franco...

Highlifeman21
01-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Why people still call some golf clubs "woods" when they have zero wood in them at all.

The new lingo is Driver and Fairway Metal, people.

You've all gotten the memo.

RFS62
01-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Why people still call some golf clubs "woods" when they have zero wood in them at all.

Probably because a lot of us were calling them "woods" years before you were born and we're kind of used to it.

:mooner:

Red Leader
01-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I thought they were named after Tiger :dunno:

Johnny Footstool
01-23-2007, 05:15 PM
What is Chewbacca doing on Endor?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/08/0330chewbacca.jpg/200px-0330chewbacca.jpg

Highlifeman21
01-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Probably because a lot of us were calling them "woods" years before you were born and we're kind of used to it.

Admit it, you still carry persimmon, and can hit it on the screws!

You probably have a brassie and a niblick as well.

RFS62
01-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Admit it, you still carry persimmon, and can hit it on the screws!

You probably have a brassie and a niblick as well.

I have all of those, I'll readily admit. But just in my collection.

I switched from persimmon when the first Taylor Made "Original One" came out, back in the day.

It's amazing to look at the old hickory shafted clubs of the 20's and 30's and imagine playing with them today. Especially with the ball techology they had back then.

Red Leader
01-23-2007, 05:20 PM
What is Chewbacca doing on Endor?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/08/0330chewbacca.jpg/200px-0330chewbacca.jpg

Have to spread some rep around Johnny before I can + you more, but:

Cochran: Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, Chef's attorney would certainly want you to believe that his client wrote "Stinky Britches" ten years ago. And they make a good case. Hell, I almost felt pity myself! But, ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!
Gerald Broflovski: Dammit!
Chef: What?
Gerald: He's using the Chewbacca Defense!
Cochran: Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, (approaches and softens) does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

Highlifeman21
01-23-2007, 05:45 PM
I have all of those, I'll readily admit. But just in my collection.

I switched from persimmon when the first Taylor Made "Original One" came out, back in the day.

It's amazing to look at the old hickory shafted clubs of the 20's and 30's and imagine playing with them today. Especially with the ball techology they had back then.

That would be somewhere around 1980.

Taylor Made has really struggled to find itself during its lifetime, first as a metal driver company, then to almost a 100% wedge only company, and then in the mid to late 90s they dipped their toe in the iron aspect of things. Now, they are back to being one of the leading manufacturers of drivers and irons, and after being on staff with them for almost 2 years, there isn't a big enough amount of coin to make me play 14 of their clubs at one time.

Amazingly enough, some of their best products are more than 5+ years old. The first RAC combo iron set they offered, with cavity back from 3 through 6 iron, and then muscle back in the 7 through PW; their Forged 300 series, which first put them head to head with Titleist and Mizuno in terms of forged irons, and then their best driver before the R7: The Burner with the Bubble Shaft (good luck trying to find that shaft to replace if you end up breaking it).

------

There is not 1 player on any tour today that could hit a hickory shafted club without watching it shatter to pieces. The evolution of the golf swing has gone from the "sweep swing" which ended with Ben Hogan to the 2 plane, striking down on the ball swing you see most players attempt today.

The game will continue to evolve. Technology and equipment will continue to attempt to level the playing field, but the far superior players will remain just that.

My question is, who will replace Tiger? Has that player even been born yet?

But, to not completely derail the thread, why do hot dogs come in packages of 8, and hot dog buns usually come in packages of 10? To even them out, you'll end up with 40 a piece...

Matt700wlw
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Sam Donaldson's "hair" doesn't make a lot of sense to me....

RFS62
01-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Donald Trump laughing at anyone else's appearance is a mystery to me.

Red in Chicago
01-23-2007, 07:30 PM
narron's lineups:laugh:

RANDY IN INDY
01-23-2007, 09:17 PM

:beerme: :laugh: :laugh:

HumnHilghtFreel
01-23-2007, 09:21 PM
narron's lineups:laugh:

haha good one

RANDY IN INDY
01-23-2007, 09:22 PM
That would be somewhere around 1980.

Taylor Made has really struggled to find itself during its lifetime, first as a metal driver company, then to almost a 100% wedge only company, and then in the mid to late 90s they dipped their toe in the iron aspect of things. Now, they are back to being one of the leading manufacturers of drivers and irons, and after being on staff with them for almost 2 years, there isn't a big enough amount of coin to make me play 14 of their clubs at one time.

Amazingly enough, some of their best products are more than 5+ years old. The first RAC combo iron set they offered, with cavity back from 3 through 6 iron, and then muscle back in the 7 through PW; their Forged 300 series, which first put them head to head with Titleist and Mizuno in terms of forged irons, and then their best driver before the R7: The Burner with the Bubble Shaft (good luck trying to find that shaft to replace if you end up breaking it).

------

There is not 1 player on any tour today that could hit a hickory shafted club without watching it shatter to pieces. The evolution of the golf swing has gone from the "sweep swing" which ended with Ben Hogan to the 2 plane, striking down on the ball swing you see most players attempt today.

The game will continue to evolve. Technology and equipment will continue to attempt to level the playing field, but the far superior players will remain just that.

My question is, who will replace Tiger? Has that player even been born yet?

But, to not completely derail the thread, why do hot dogs come in packages of 8, and hot dog buns usually come in packages of 10? To even them out, you'll end up with 40 a piece...

Do you think the technology is going to stall at some point? Do you find the most technical advance has happened with the clubs or the ball? Do you ever see the PGA adopting a policy that limits the advances, particularly in the ball?

Would value your opinion since you are an insider. By the way, I still have a persimmon, and I still take it to the range from time to time, just to see if I can still swing it.;)

Sean_CaseyRules
01-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Jumbo-Shrimp...

MWM
01-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Paris Hilton being famous.

Life's #1 mystery, IMO. But I don't get that first glance or the 2054th glance. No matter how many times I glance, it still makes no sense.

I'd add Ashton Kutcher to that list. He has no brains, no talent, nothing! Yet he's famous.

How Keanu Reeves has been able to make a living as an actor.

DanO as the GM of a MLB franchise.

guttle11
01-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Dane Cook.

Well that's more like every glance.

George Foster
01-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Women or men who would NEVER open the front door in their underwear, but have no problem being seen in swimwear.:confused:

NatiRedGals
01-23-2007, 10:30 PM
The fact that Griffey will play all season without one injury:thisyear: plus if he dose make it threw the year remind me to :bowrofl:

texasdave
01-24-2007, 11:46 AM
do golf irons have any iron in them anymore? just wondering. i thought they are being made out of some kind of composite material. but that may just be the shaft.

RichRed
01-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Carson. Daly.

texasdave
01-24-2007, 01:14 PM
The popularity of the show 'Deal or No Deal'.

dabvu2498
01-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Why do they call it taking a dump when you don't take anything?

registerthis
01-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Women or men who would NEVER open the front door in their underwear, but have no problem being seen in swimwear.:confused:

That's got nothing to do with modesty and everything to do with environment.

RANDY IN INDY
01-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Why do they call it taking a dump when you don't take anything?

I don't know about you, but I always take more than I leave with.;)

VR
01-24-2007, 04:01 PM

And people who still call the other clubs 'irons'. What's up with that?

RFS62
01-24-2007, 04:03 PM

Good point. If you follow the "woods" analogy, you'd have to call your irons "investment cast" or "forged".

"Hey caddie.... hand me my investment cast cavity back six iron!!"

VR
01-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Good point. If you follow the "woods" analogy, you'd have to call your irons "investment cast" or "forged".

"Hey caddie.... hand me my investment cast cavity back six iron!!"

"Should I try a knock down 8-titanium or full 9-copper?"

Johnny Footstool
01-24-2007, 05:28 PM
The popularity of golf, especially as a spectator sport.

Highlifeman21
01-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Do you think the technology is going to stall at some point? Do you find the most technical advance has happened with the clubs or the ball? Do you ever see the PGA adopting a policy that limits the advances, particularly in the ball?

Would value your opinion since you are an insider. By the way, I still have a persimmon, and I still take it to the range from time to time, just to see if I can still swing it.;)

Technology won't stall due to the fact that when wound golf balls and their various ranges of compression (70 up to 100) people thought there was no future alternative than a solid core wound with rubberbands, and then with a surlyn or balata cover. Now we have 2, 3 and 4 piece golf balls, where the main piece is a solid core, and then the other pieces are other covers, that actually spin inside of each other. Will we see more covers? Will we see a change in the core material? My guess would be the latter, seeing as right now the industry has determined there are two ways to make the outer cover for a golf ball... thermoset, or thermoplast. Will those continue to be the only ways to make the outer cover? Probably not. But with the popularity of the Pro V1, I can't imagine companies really trying to sink a lot of money into R&D when they know they are facing an uphill battle to dethrone the mighty Pro V.

From the time of Ben Hogan to the present, the golf ball has made the most difference from a technological standpoint. That's not to say equipment hasn't come along way, but if anything, the equipment has gone more towards the general public and your casual golfer than pure shot makers. Distance is the big thing equipment has aided in the last 60+ years. Guys that have no business hitting it long are hitting it long. From a driver and fairway metal standpoint, that's largely due to clubmakers finding stronger, yet lighter materials which allow the ball to maximize the trampoline effect off the clubface at impact. Golf equipment, much like metal bats, have restrictions on velocity. For Golf, there are 2 numbers, .830 and .860 which are the US and European Coefficent Of Resistance numbers, or COR. If your COR is higher than allowed, then it's an illegal club, and too much energy is being transfered from clubface to ball, which has the most impact on distance. The trick they are figuring out for this era is how to make 100% of the clubface at that legal COR number. Logically, the more off-center you strike the ball, you will go farther away from the COR number. Clubmakers want to be able to sell you a club that you could hit it out on the toe all day, or in on the toe, and you're gonna get as close to the same distance as if you find the sweet spot every time. So far, Cobra is leading that race, with Callaway running a close 2nd.

Club technology can only progress as metallurgy progresses, and new materials become readily available. Club technology will only aid the struggling masses, and will not impact any of the tours. Most of those players could tie a toaster to the end of a whiffle ball bat and still play better golf than 85% of the world. The clubs that the majority of the touring pros use are not, have not, and will never be available for retail sale. The same goes for the ball technology.

As for the PGA trying to adopt some sort of policy limiting ball flight, it would have to be approved first by the USGA and also be approved by the R&A (Royal & Ancient). The USGA has actually used Ohio as a lab rat for such a limited ball, and it has not gotten great reviews at all by elite amateurs. Two tourneys in Ohio last year had the entire field use the same golf ball, and even the winner didn't like the ball. There are COR limits on equipment, and there are spin rate limits for balls, where they have to spin within a certain range, cannot spin too little and cannot spin too much, but that's ultimately all the governing bodies can do without making the natives completely restless.

Highlifeman21
01-24-2007, 05:35 PM

True, the majority of clubs out there today are various forms of stainless steel, titanium and pressed carbon.

Calling an iron an "iron" is a little less amusing than someone calling today's drivers or fairway metal "woods".

RANDY IN INDY
01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
The clubs that the majority of the touring pros use are not, have not, and will never be available for retail sale. The same goes for the ball technology.

Care to elaborate a little more on that.

By the way, thanks for the great reply.:beerme:

RANDY IN INDY
01-24-2007, 05:38 PM
By the way, I wish there were a lot more golfers that looked like Natalie Gulbis, don't you?

max venable
01-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?

Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?

How do they make Teflon stick to the pan?

BoydsOfSummer
01-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Would the ocean be deeper if it didn't have all those sponges in it?

Blimpie
01-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Jumbo-Shrimp...Deafening Silence
Military Intelligence

Razor Shines
01-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Deafening Silence
Military Intelligence

That's classy.

macro
01-25-2007, 07:58 AM
The ticket pricing system at GAB...

2007 Ticket Prices

COLOR SECTION REGULAR SELECT * PREMIER **
Infield Box $40 $42 $45
Field Box $32 $34 $37
View Level Box $20 $22 $25
Mezzanine $20 $22 $25
Moon Deck $20 $22 $25
Terrace $19 $21 $24
View Level $13 $15 $18
Bleachers $10 $12 $15
Outer View $5 $7 $10
PREMIUM SEATING
COLOR SECTION REGULAR SELECT * PREMIER **
Diamond Seats $225 $227 $230
Scout Seats $75 $77 $80
Lower Club $65 $67 $70
Dugout Box $65 $67 $70
Club Home $65 $67 $70
Club Seating $50 $52 $55

Riverfront Stadium had six different ticket prices before adding the Top Six seats: Blue (1 price), Green (2 prices), Yellow (1 price), and Red (2 prices).

Of course, they split it up quite a bit in Riverfront's latter years, but at one time it was very simple.

Oh, and check out this article I ran across a few minutes ago while digging around:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F00E7D81239F931A35753C1A9639482 60

Reds to Retain Ticket Prices

AP
Published: October 2, 1985

The Cincinnati Reds have decided to leave their single-game ticket prices unchanged for 1986 home games at Riverfront Stadium.

''There had been some discussion about raising ticket prices, but I want to show the fans how much we appreciate their support,'' the Reds' owner, Marge Schott, said. ''We are committed to keeping Reds baseball at a price our fans and their families can afford.''

The National League team's 1985 home attendance of 1,834,619 is the Reds' highest since 1980 and is 558,732 greater than the 1984 total of 1,275,887, an increase of 43.8 percent.

The Reds charge from $7 to $8 for box seats and from $3.50 to $6 for reserved seats.

BTW, hot dogs were $1 in those days, too. :thumbup:

GAC
01-25-2007, 08:16 AM
The popularity of golf, especially as a spectator sport.

I'd add tennis to that list too..... and Nascar. :mooner:

Highlifeman21
01-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?

Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?

How do they make Teflon stick to the pan?

Actually, they aren't interstate highways. They are just highways. H1 H2 H3, etc. There is no I in front of them, like I 75, I 71, etc...

Highlifeman21
01-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Care to elaborate a little more on that.

By the way, thanks for the great reply.:beerme:

What you go to a retailer and buy is the consumer version of the product, but not the tour version of the product. This goes the same for hard goods (clubs) and balls. For balls, it's largely a cloak and dagger type thing, where if say Nike starts mass producing the balls they provide each individual pro in their stable, someone like Bridgestone or Callaway or Taylor Made could then learn a lot about Nike's ball just by going to Golfsmith and buying a dozen of Nike One (insert color here). When you combine that issue with the fact that a pro spec ball would be completely wrong for the general public, it also makes for a bad business move. Joe Q Public predominantly needs a ball to help with distance and loft. Billy T Tour Player doesn't need help with either one of those.

As for the club side of the equation, last time I checked only something silly like 8% of the world was a single digit handicapper, and of that 8%, only 2% are legitimately scratch golfers who could attempt to make a living on a playing tour. The reason you don't Tiger's set of irons on the rack, or Sergio's, or Adam Scott's, or pick your favorite tour player is that the clubs they used are designed specifically to not hit the ball straight. You may have heard the term during a TV broadcast "the dreaded straight ball". Every touring pro is attempting to shape a shot on every shot, and with the clubs available to the public, those clubs attempt to do nothing but try and hit the ball straight. The biggest difference is in drivers. For years, Vijay Singh has been hitting various models of drivers that are typically between 6 degrees and 9.5 degrees of loft on the face, and the club face is anywhere between 2 degrees and 6 degrees open. Basically, this means if Vijay were to grab a driver off the rack that was 9.5 degrees of loft, the club face would be way too closed or shut for him, since your consumer version of drivers typically go between 3 degress shut or closed, and there are a few models that are actually 1 degree open. By hitting a club that is too closed faced, or shut faced, Vijay will hook the piss out of that driver all day. When you look at iron sets, the difference is largely in the design of the sole, and the amount of offset. The sole, on the bottom of the club, is typically very rounded for your consumer, this allows him or her to get thru the turf without any trouble, whereas a tour player like a sole that typically is very sharp and digs. As for the offset, offset is put in place to help square the club face at impact to alleviate slicing. Most tour players draw and or hook the ball, so if you have more offset, that ball has no place to go but left.

Hopefully this helps, I can go on for days about all things golf.

Johnny Footstool
01-25-2007, 09:56 AM
I'd add tennis to that list too..... and Nascar. :mooner:

Tennis has quite a bit of action and motion, and the players are in direct competition with each other. That's way more exciting than watching one guy hit a ball with a crooked stick and then slowly walk after it.

Nascar, though -- ugh. Rednecks turning left.

RFS62
01-25-2007, 10:10 AM
I have found that people who don't understand or play golf usually find it boring.

No biggie. Makes it easier to get tee times.

Johnny Footstool
01-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I have found that people who don't understand or play golf usually find it boring.

No biggie. Makes it easier to get tee times.

True. And the thread is "things that don't make sense *at first glance*..."

max venable
01-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Actually, they aren't interstate highways. They are just highways. H1 H2 H3, etc. There is no I in front of them, like I 75, I 71, etc...

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/images/hawaii02.jpg
Quote from the Website: The completion of H-3 in 1997, H-3 has emerged as one of the most beautiful segments of the Interstate System.

RFS62
01-25-2007, 11:25 AM
True. And the thread is "things that don't make sense *at first glance*..."

Point taken.

So, you've only glanced at golf once?

:p:

Red Leader
01-25-2007, 11:36 AM
I think each of Hawaii's islands should become seperate states just so the highway system would make sense.

I mean, it'd be pretty cool to add 19 more states.

Highlifeman21
01-25-2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/images/hawaii02.jpg
Quote from the Website: The completion of H-3 in 1997, H-3 has emerged as one of the most beautiful segments of the Interstate System.

Interesting!

When I was there in 2004, I was corrected by a local when I asked where the interstate was to go meet my friend at Schofield Barracks. I thought I was looking for I 1, I was really looking for H 1. He exact words "Son, how in the hell can it be an interstate when it doesn't leave this island, let alone go to another state?"

I guess it's considered part of the "Interstate System", but isn't an interstate. Those silly silly Hawaiians.

registerthis
01-25-2007, 12:06 PM

I enjoy playing golf, quite a bit actually. And I understand the game rather well.

I would just rather watch paint dry than watch somebody else play golf. if I'm participating, it's fun. If I'm an observer... :sleep:

registerthis
01-25-2007, 12:06 PM
I guess it's considered part of the "Interstate System", but isn't an interstate. Those silly silly Hawaiians.

There's no interstate highways in Alaska, either. Obviously.

max venable
01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/I-A2.svg/600px-I-A2.svg.png

This is an actual road sign in Alaska.

Roy Tucker
01-25-2007, 02:52 PM
I know a lot of really worthless stuff...

While the name implies that Interstate highways cross state lines, many do not. Rather, the name means they are funded federally with money shared between the states.

There are many interstate highways that are actually intrastate.

Red Leader
01-25-2007, 02:55 PM
I know a lot of really worthless stuff...

While the name implies that Interstate highways cross state lines, many do not. Rather, the name means they are funded federally with money shared between the states.

There are many interstate highways that are actually intrastate.

I still want Hawaii to divide into 19 seperate states.

max venable
01-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Why does the sun lighten our hair but it darkens our skin?

How come women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed?

How come you never see the headline: "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Why didn't Noah swat those two darned mosquitoes?