PDA

View Full Version : What Are Some Of The Worst Movies You've Watched This Past Year?

GAC
01-24-2007, 09:17 AM
For me....

Lady In The Water by M. Night Shyamalan.

I got about halfway through it the first time and then forced myself to watch it again to try and figure out what was going on. I never did.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-24-2007, 09:27 AM
I've seen a lot of movies, but I'd have to say the worst was Nacho Libre.

My favorite: Pan's Labyrinth(if it counts, it was really close to the new year:) )

MWM
01-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Ocean's 12. Horrible movie. one of the worst I've ever seen.

And I thought Pirates of the Caribbean 2 was pretty bad as well.

Sweetstop
01-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Firewall...just saw recently on HBO. I just wish Harrison Ford would make another decent film. Hopefully, the new Indiana Jones will be that movie.

I agree about Pirates of the Caribbean. Watched the dvd from Netflix. I fell asleep during it.

westofyou
01-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Running With Scissors - Dysfunction was not fun in the 70's, Squid and the Whale, divorce is messy and kids have feelings. Friends with Money, LA breeds stuff I spend a lot of time trying to forget about.

RFS62
01-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Ocean's 12. Horrible movie. one of the worst I've ever seen.

And I thought Pirates of the Caribbean 2 was pretty bad as well.

Totally agree on both of those.

paintmered
01-24-2007, 10:33 AM
The Marine. One of those movies that was so horrendous it was actually entertaining.

Johnny Footstool
01-24-2007, 10:35 AM
X3 was pretty lousy.

"Hi, I'm Cyclops. I'm the leader of the X-men. Excuse me while I go die off-screen."

"Hi, I'm Colossus. I don't talk."

Chip R
01-24-2007, 10:46 AM
The Pink Panther was really awful. Thank God I saw it on DVD because I fast forwarded through most of it. I'd have hated to pay good money for that.

Roy Tucker
01-24-2007, 11:07 AM
The New World.

I always watch a movie to the bitter end. I turned this turkey off after about 45 minutes. Like watching paint dry.

Johnny Footstool
01-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Oh, and I watched "Roadhouse" a few times this year, too -- so awful it's actually quite entertaining.

MrCinatit
01-24-2007, 11:40 AM
I am like Roy Tucker - I usually watch a movie to the end.
Date Movie was an exception. Bad taste for the sake of being in bad taste. My Big Fat Independent Movie also made that list. Scary Movie started an aweful, aweful trend - and I hope it stops soon.
Classics wise, I always have to pop in Manos, The Hands of Fate in once a year to see how truly, remarkably, painfully bad a movie could be. Fortunately, my friends Joel, Tom and Crow were there to keep me laughing. Deep hurting. Deeeeeep hurting.

justincredible
01-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Wolf Creek. Terrible, terrible movie. Luckily I saw it at the $2.50 matinee price.

WMR
01-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Nacho Libre.

Caveat Emperor
01-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Ultra-Violet -- I went to go see it with a couple friends when I was back in law school (one kid I was friends with had a huge thing for Mila Jovavich).

Possiibly the worst movie I've ever seen in my life, and this is coming from a guy that actually sat through Fire Down Below and once caught an hour of Dungeons and Dragons on Starz.

savafan
01-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Wow, I must have bad taste in movies, because I've liked several mentioned in this thread. :)

Then again, as an actor, and one-time filmmaker, perhaps I just have a better grasp of the art of cinema. ;)

pedro
01-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Nacho Libre was unwatchable.

RFS62
01-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Nacho Libre was unwatchable.

It's a LIE!!!!!!

There are no eagle powers!!!!

zombie-a-go-go
01-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Domino was crap, but it was crap with Keira Knightly in it, so.... naah, still crap.

I second X3. What a waste.

I believe I saw Miss Congeniality 2: Armed & Fabulous in 2006 on cable. That's got to be the worst.

beb30
01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Babel was horrible not sure how it got so many oscar nominations

Sweetstop
01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Wow, I must have bad taste in movies, because I've liked several mentioned in this thread. :)

Then again, as an actor, and one-time filmmaker, perhaps I just have a better grasp of the art of cinema. ;)

Yeah, I see at least 4 films that I liked, two I really liked, that people detested.

I didn't realize you were in the biz, savafan. Any credentials I'd recognize?

Reds Fanatic
01-24-2007, 03:36 PM
I agree with X3. I really like the first 2 X-Men movies but the 3rd one was horrible.

Dom Heffner
01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I saw a movie in Times Square a few years back called "Forrest Hump."

Nothing like the original. Nothing.

RANDY IN INDY
01-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Had a freind who went to see "Babel" with his wife, recently, and he told me, "Whatever you do, don't let your wife talk you into going to see this." He said he left after the first 30 minutes. Anyone else see this film. I usually trust this guy's judgement and was a little surprised by his reaction.

cumberlandreds
01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
For me....

I got about halfway through it the first time and then forced myself to watch it again to try and figure out what was going on. I never did.

It's funny you should mention this movie today. I bought it off of PPV the other night and DVR'd it. Me and my wife watched most of it last night but just couldn't get through it all. To say the least it was weird. A little too much so for me.

Sweetstop
01-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Had a freind who went to see "Babel" with his wife, recently, and he told me, "Whatever you do, don't let your wife talk you into going to see this." He said he left after the first 30 minutes. Anyone else see this film. I usually trust this guy's judgement and was a little surprised by his reaction.

Yes.

My husband and I both wanted to see it, and we both liked it very much.

It's about how hard it is for us to communicate w/ each other, on a personal and a worldwide level. Several stories going on at once, all connected ultimately, several different languages, wonderful performances by all. Maybe a bit long.

It says so much about the world today, and how we can each make it better.

If this type of film isn't your cup of tea, I wouldn't see it.:)

LoganBuck
01-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Babel was a high concept movie, that while it was a movie that made you think, I agree it was unbearable to watch, but I don't like movies like that.

X3 stunk

Oceans Twelve was about half an hour too long.

Skeleton Key was absolutely miserable. Totally boring. Worse than X3

Ltlabner
01-24-2007, 04:28 PM
It wasn't from this year, but I watched it reciently. Office Space. Everybody raved about how funny it was. I think I eeked out a chuckle somewhere in that 2 hour snooze fest.

Pirates 2 didn't seem so bad at first, but the more I think about it the lamer of movie it was. The first was was great, the second one...they just tried too hard.

minus5
01-24-2007, 04:46 PM
I hated The Breakup. Also hated Sideways.

Johnny Footstool
01-24-2007, 04:49 PM
I saw a movie in Times Square a few years back called "Forrest Hump."

Nothing like the original. Nothing.

Was this movie released under another title -- "Sorest Rump"?

pedro
01-24-2007, 04:57 PM
It wasn't from this year, but I watched it reciently. Office Space. Everybody raved about how funny it was. I think I eeked out a chuckle somewhere in that 2 hour snooze fest.

I love that movie

RFS62
01-24-2007, 04:59 PM
I love that movie

Me too. Thought it was an absolute classic. Watch it again every year or so.

"Why should I change my name? He's the one who sucks!!"

RichRed
01-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Also hated Sideways.

I didn't like it either. I tried to see what the big deal was that made people rave about it but I just didn't see the appeal.

RichRed
01-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Me too. Thought it was an absolute classic. Watch it again every year or so.

"Why should I change my name? He's the one who sucks!!"

One of the most quotable movies in recent years - just hilarious.

Peter: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.
Peter: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.

pedro
01-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I liked Sideways but I did think the characters were very unlikable which can make it hard for some folks to enjoy a movie.

Sweetstop
01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree that The Breakup was brutal. With the people in it and the idea, it should have been better. Best thing about it was Chicago.

Ltlabner
01-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I love that movie

"Yea...going to have to talk to you about your TPS reports...umkay."

Top shelf stuff there....:rolleyes:

But to each their own.

westofyou
01-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Seriously... you guys paid to see Pirates?

Ltlabner
01-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh, and I watched "Roadhouse" a few times this year, too -- so awful it's actually quite entertaining.

Oh, it's a total camp classic. Horrible acting. Terrible cliche's. Plot with the depth of a roadside puddle (there's no law enforcement anywhere in the entire state?!?!) Over the top fight sceens and "totally '80s" hair. Oh yea...and Sam Elliot kicking and punching some folks.

I watch it every once in a while for the reason you describe. It's so hideous that I can't take my eyes away from it.

RFS62
01-24-2007, 05:39 PM

Rented it. Don't rub it in.

KronoRed
01-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I did, I'd do it again.

You're all fools

;)

RFS62
01-24-2007, 05:43 PM
I did, I'd do it again.

You're all fools

;)

Dude. You're a pirate. Your opinion is biased.

Red Leader
01-24-2007, 05:53 PM
I did, I'd do it again.

You're all fools

;)

Yeah, you owe me $3.75 for telling me to watch that junk, BTW.

pedro
01-24-2007, 05:54 PM
"Yea...going to have to talk to you about your TPS reports...umkay."

Top shelf stuff there....:rolleyes:

But to each their own.

I take it that you've never had to fill out a Team Productivity Status (TPS) Report ?

Well I have and the format changed almost as often as the org chart.

Ltlabner
01-24-2007, 05:56 PM
I take it that you've never had to fill out a Team Productivity Status (TPS) Report ?

No, but I've worked in the corporate world long enough to have run into all the wacko stuff bosses/corporate entitites try to pull. I guess I got the joke after the next guy talked to him about the TPS reports. I didn't need several more references to it to figure out the funny part.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Another one for the list: Saraha with bongo boy and that Mexican chick. It wasn't totally dreadfull but it was totally boring. I've read most all of the Clive Cusler books so it's probably hard for anybody to live up to the mental picutre of the Dirk Pitt character/story line I have in my head.

pedro
01-24-2007, 05:59 PM
No, but I've worked in the corporate world long enough to have run into all the wacko stuff bosses/corporate entitites try to pull. I guess I got the joke after the next guy talked to him about the TPS reports. I didn't need several more references to it to figure out the funny part.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Ever had 4 bosses at once? I have. Anyway I hated working for a big company and thought the movie was hilarious.

nevertheless, you're right, humor is a subjective thing.

Ltlabner
01-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Ever had 4 bosses at once? I have. Anyway I hated working for a big company and thought the movie was hilarious.

nevertheless, you're right, humor is a subjective thing.

Actually, I pretty much have a bunch of bosses right now. I interact and answer to the district manager, division manager, product manager and distribution manager almost daily in my company. Oh yea, the customers too.

Thanks for getting me bumbed out now buddy. :cry:

Patrick Bateman
01-24-2007, 06:05 PM
For me....

That movie was so ridiculous I found it funny. I had no idea what was going on.

pedro
01-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Actually, I pretty much have a bunch of bosses right now. I interact and answer to the district manager, division manager, product manager and distribution manager almost daily in my company. Oh yea, the customers too.

Thanks for getting me bumbed out now buddy. :cry:

No problem. :)

Even though I work for myself now I still have to partake in 10 person conference calls that go nowhere, so I'm not free and clear either....

WMR
01-24-2007, 06:13 PM
"Wear a rubber dude. She gets around . . . like a record."

KronoRed
01-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Dude. You're a pirate. Your opinion is biased.

Dude..you didn't like Citizen Kane when you saw it first run either ;)

paintmered
01-24-2007, 07:18 PM

I guess you have to be an engineer/programmer or work in a cube farm to really appreciate Office Space.

RFS62
01-24-2007, 07:25 PM

Sure I did. I thought it was groundbreaking stuff.

:mooner:

RFS62
01-24-2007, 07:26 PM
I guess you have to be an engineer/programmer or work in a cube farm to really appreciate Office Space.

Not really, although that may make it easier to relate to.

To me, it was a tremendous satire on the office culture, and I've never worked in a cube farm.

The stereotypes were right on for any office or bureaucracy.

Ltlabner
01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Not really, although that may make it easier to relate to.

To me, it was a tremendous satire on the office culture, cube farm or not.

I could relate to it because wether you are in a cube farm or on the road selling, there is still plenty of corporate bizzaro to go around.

I'll give them that it was a great satire. They nailed a lot of the corporate cliches dead on.

pedro
01-24-2007, 07:35 PM

I doesn't hurt. Especially if you're middle management then you really know how stupid stuff is because you get to see it from both sides.

TeamCasey
01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Syriana
Solaris
Ocean's 12

(Weird ..... all George Clooney flicks).

Dark Water

The New World (very disappointing)

westofyou
01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Loved Syriana, that and the Murrow movie.

TeamCasey
01-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Has anyone seen The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada? I was going to rent it. Looks good.

I'll probably give Syriana a second chance. I found myself confused through parts of it. It's definitely a movie that requires your full attention.

WMR
01-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Syriana is top-flite.

TeamCasey
01-24-2007, 07:47 PM
....and the Murrow movie.

The guy that played him did it great. I can't think of his name. He's been in a number of movies.

pedro
01-24-2007, 07:52 PM
The guy that played him did it great. I can't think of his name. He's been in a number of movies.

david straithairn (sp)

Ltlabner
01-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Has anyone seen The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada? I was going to rent it. Looks good.

Is this guy in it?

http://www.pocho.com/news/2002/judgeestrada/erik_estrada.jpg

Chip R
01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
I did, TC. It was very good. Of course I saw it right after The Pink Panther so in comparison, Rhinestone would be good. It's a little tough to follow at first cause it goes back and forth in time but it's good.

kbrake
01-24-2007, 08:30 PM

I actually went to the midnight release, haha, and yes I am serious.

vaticanplum
01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
david straithairn (sp)

I adore David Strathairn and I loved him in that movie. He's currently working on a film with my most beloved college professor and he says he's a wonderful to work with as both an actor and producer.

http://www.eitherorfilms.com/projects.html

westofyou
01-24-2007, 09:41 PM
I adore David Strathairn and I loved him in that movie. He's currently working on a film with my most beloved college professor and he says he's a wonderful to work with as both an actor and producer.

http://www.eitherorfilms.com/projects.html

Eddie Cicotte

GAC
01-24-2007, 09:47 PM

What!!!! You didn't like Office Space??? That's it.... you're out of the clique. Turn in your stapler! You obviously didn't get the memo. :mooner:

GAC
01-24-2007, 09:50 PM

Not me. I bought it for my daughter who wanted it for Christmas ($14.95). I guess that is cheaper then going to see it at the theatre because I didn't have to go to the concession stand. :lol:

GAC
01-24-2007, 09:52 PM

You're comparing Pirates to Citizen Kane? You must be from Kentucky. :mooner:

Sweetstop
01-24-2007, 10:33 PM
The Three Burials....is a terrific movie. Look for Levon Helm of The Band in a small role.

Love all of David Straithairn's work...been in lots of John Sayles' movies

redsfan1966
01-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Ok, let me first preface this by saying my wife likes to see animated films..so that explains why I would have went to see Happy Feet...and yes it was the worst piece of garbage I ever had to sit thru...of course, I had to smile and bear it while the wife enjoyed it. Since we it also seems some of us are going back the past year for comments...let me just say one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen recently was Wedding Crashers... a total, total disappointment...two leads I usually like just dropping a steaming pile on the screen....

reds1869
01-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Lady in the Water was a waste of an evening.

Blimpie
01-24-2007, 11:33 PM
That movie was so ridiculous I found it funny. I had no idea what was going on.M. Night has had back to back stinkers by my count...The Village sucked wind, as well.

forfreelin04
01-25-2007, 01:08 AM
I cant imagine any movie being any worse than The Good Shepherd. I mean its one thing when you pay to see the Skeleton Key or WHEN A STRANGER CALLS at least there you know what your paying for. But youd figure a movie with De Niro, Damon, Tuturro, and a brief apperance by Pesci would be decent, but no. Its a 3 hour snooze fest where your praying Matt Damon will stop boring you and De Niro would stop thinking that the "acting" is what makes a movie entertaining.

savafan
01-25-2007, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I see at least 4 films that I liked, two I really liked, that people detested.

I didn't realize you were in the biz, savafan. Any credentials I'd recognize?

I've mostly done stage work, but several short films. I did stunt work on a short film called "Marvelous Martha", starred in a short film titled "Monkeying With Time", and wrote, directed, and played three parts in a short little art flick titled "Voltaire's Candide". I've done some children's theater, which is a great way to get started in comedy, as children will always be honest with their reactions, and give you something to grow from. Lately, I've only been seen performing at the Ohio Renaissance Festival, but am looking at joining a new studio that is preparing to open up in March and get back into filmmaking. I've been commissioned to write a modern day vampire script...I'm still waiting on the rest of the creative team to give me some details of what they're looking for, but hopefully it's something that will develop into more work. :)

Razor Shines
01-25-2007, 03:03 AM
I know it wasn't from this year but I watched it this year because some jackass from work told me it would change the way I look at fast food places. And actually it was exactly what I thought it would be. Super Size Me. Oh you mean if you eat a big meal from McDonalds 3 times a day for 30 days you're going to get fat and have health issues, wow my eyes are open, I see the light. What a freaking waste of time. In the movie he actually complained because the McDonalds employees offered to "Super Size" his meal, like that was wrong of them. I can't remember everything else that was stupid about that movie, but there was a lot. The only reason I watched to the end was that I wanted to see how fat that moron got.

cincinnati chili
01-25-2007, 03:37 AM
I had pretty good luck at the movies this year. Can't think of many bad ones. Maybe I'm just getting pickier about what I go see, as time is so scarce in law school. The last disappointment for me was Crash, but that was because I was expecting something more sophisticated or enjoyable, not because it was 'bad.'

The bad reviews scared me away from Lady in the Water, and I usually love M. Night. Even liked The Village.

Plenty of movies to praise this year: Little Miss Sunshine (my favorite of the year), Half Nelson, The Departed, Borat, Inconvenient Truth, Talladega Nights, Prairie Home Companion, Clerks II, and Cars.

Lots I still want to see: Last King of Scotland, Volver, The Queen, Jesus Camp, Superman Returns, A Scanner Darkly. If anyone has any thoughts on these movies, throw them my way.

I had a surreal experience with Nacho Libre. Watched it on a plane without sound. Somehow, I think it is more amusing that way.

jmcclain19
01-25-2007, 04:04 AM
I TiVo'd Sin City recently because I thought the concept and idea of the movie was awesome.

I thought it was an amazing look to the movie. Then the plot started - and you realize that all the style in the world can't make a turd not a turd. Last movie I can remember where I didn't get 25 minutes into it and said "enough is enough" and deleted that waste of space.

Ltlabner
01-25-2007, 07:26 AM
I know it wasn't from this year but I watched it this year because some jackass from work told me it would change the way I look at fast food places. And actually it was exactly what I thought it would be. Super Size Me. Oh you mean if you eat a big meal from McDonalds 3 times a day for 30 days you're going to get fat and have health issues, wow my eyes are open, I see the light. What a freaking waste of time. In the movie he actually complained because the McDonalds employees offered to "Super Size" his meal, like that was wrong of them. I can't remember everything else that was stupid about that movie, but there was a lot. The only reason I watched to the end was that I wanted to see how fat that moron got.

Yes, because it is humanly impossible to say "no thanks" when asked that question.

RedsBaron
01-25-2007, 07:40 AM
I took my 9 year old son to see Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest. He said he liked it. I hated, hated, hated it. I liked the first Pirates movie, but the sequel went on forever and was boring.
We recently rented Nacho Libre. It is unusual for my wife, three sons and I to totally agree on a film, but we did on that piece of garbage::thumbdown
Talladega Nights wasn't a bad movie, but I was disappointed in it, because virtually all of the really funny bits had already been shown in the trailers.

TeamCasey
01-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Eddie Cicotte

That's it! I couldn't put my finger on what I'd seen him in. Loved him in that role too!

TeamCasey
01-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Has anyone else seen The Good Shepherd?

That's on my DVD watchlist. I'm anxious to see the Queen and Departed too.

Sweetstop
01-25-2007, 08:57 AM
I've mostly done stage work, but several short films. I did stunt work on a short film called "Marvelous Martha", starred in a short film titled "Monkeying With Time", and wrote, directed, and played three parts in a short little art flick titled "Voltaire's Candide". I've done some children's theater, which is a great way to get started in comedy, as children will always be honest with their reactions, and give you something to grow from. Lately, I've only been seen performing at the Ohio Renaissance Festival, but am looking at joining a new studio that is preparing to open up in March and get back into filmmaking. I've been commissioned to write a modern day vampire script...I'm still waiting on the rest of the creative team to give me some details of what they're looking for, but hopefully it's something that will develop into more work. :)

Lots O' Luck!:)

GAC
01-25-2007, 09:29 AM
The Departed (2004). If Julianne Moore makes one more movie about missing or kidnapped kids I'm gonna scream. ;)

Other stinkers IMO....

Poseidon
RV
The Weatherman
Proof

Has anyone seen 16 Blocks or The Inside Man yet?

timmario66
01-25-2007, 09:48 AM

That's on my DVD watchlist. I'm anxious to see the Queen and Departed too.

I saw the Good Shepard on a sneak preview. I thought it was just OK and a little too long.

The Queen and the Departed are excellent though.

beb30
01-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes.

My husband and I both wanted to see it, and we both liked it very much.

It's about how hard it is for us to communicate w/ each other, on a personal and a worldwide level. Several stories going on at once, all connected ultimately, several different languages, wonderful performances by all. Maybe a bit long.

It says so much about the world today, and how we can each make it better.

If this type of film isn't your cup of tea, I wouldn't see it.:)

Totally disagree with you....From the japanese girl constantly trying to get someone to get on her, to the little boy only 9 or 10 yrs old masturbating this movie was completely ridiculous if you want to see a movie similar in how it was produced yet a heck of alot better go see Crash. While I understood the point of the movie many of the scenes were not needed for the movie i.e. the little boy. People were getting up and leaving right and left out of the movie one group left after 30 min or so. Worst movie I have ever seen and I usually like everything including X3.

deltachi8
01-25-2007, 11:17 AM

Different strokes...

Went opening night with my 10 year old at the Drive Inn. He loved it. I thought it was 45 minutes too long, and just ok.

Then again, being at the Drive Inn makes any movie more nejoyable for me.

Sweetstop
01-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, beb30. Although, I found the scene you mentioned disturbing (life is uncomfortable sometimes), it isn't what I think of when thinking about the movie as a whole. As for the deaf Japanese girl, she was obviously looking for love, just trying to make contact with someone and trying to understand her mother's death. I just found that sad.

I've seen Crash and liked it also, although I was surprised when it won Best Picture Oscar last year.

I've seen many, many films over my 58 years, every genre. My main criterion is that it be quality filmmaking. I think Babel is.

Chip R
01-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Puffy did but I heard he left about halfway through the movie cause it wasn't about what he thought the title implied. :devil:

max venable
01-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Here's my list of recent duds:

Accepted
Superman Returns
Click
Pink Panther

Several have mentioned Lady In The Water. I liked it. I like all M. Night's movies. Lady was not his best but it was still highly entertaining to me.

Here are some I highly recommend:

Lucky Number Slevin
The Theif Lord
The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio
Danny Deckchair
Last Holiday

Dom Heffner
01-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Was this movie released under another title -- "Sorest Rump"?

Either that or it was the sequel. I think the one you are referring to had a subtitle: Flipped Over.

I also saw Buffy the Vampire Layer and Saving Ryan's Privates in the same theater.

Just awful. The acting, production, and all the uncomfortable closeups led me to believe this wasn't something Spielberg did.

Sometimes dyslexia really hurts you in ways you never imagined.

Reds Fanatic
01-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Inside Man is a good movie. It is a heist movie with good performances by Denzel Washington and Clive Owen.

max venable
01-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Inside Man is a great movie!

I've also seen 16 Blocks. Very good as well. I recommend both!

Sweetstop
01-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Inside Man is a good movie. It is a heist movie with good performances by Denzel Washington and Clive Owen.

Really like this movie also. Even bought a copy. Clive Owen is my new favorite, anyway.:)

Cyclone792
01-25-2007, 12:40 PM

I saw them both and thought they were both good, and all the people I went with to see each movie liked them both too. 16 Blocks does have a handful of predictable/cliched scenes, but they weren't enough to prevent me from enjoying the film altogether.

Blimpie
01-25-2007, 06:48 PM

Accepted
Superman Returns
Click
Pink Panther

Several have mentioned Lady In The Water. I liked it. I like all M. Night's movies. Lady was not his best but it was still highly entertaining to me.

Lucky Number Slevin
The Theif Lord
Danny Deckchair
Last HolidayI actually enjoyed Superman Returns, but I agree whole-heartedly with Lucky Number Slevin...

Redsfaithful
01-25-2007, 08:52 PM
I actually liked The New World. Different kind of movie for sure though, more of an experience than a film. It felt like watching a dream.

I rarely see a movie I don't like because I'm pretty picky about what I'll spend money on. The worst movie I saw in the past year was probably Hard Candy though. I don't even know if it was bad really (it was very intense) but it was just something I would have preferred not to see I think. Anyone who's seen it will probably know what I'm talking about.

Anyone see Children of Men? I think it technically came out this year, but it's definitely one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time.

Ltlabner
01-25-2007, 08:55 PM
I am a total movie going piker compared to most of you folks. I maybe see 2 or 3 movies a year in the theater and I've most certinally not even heard of most of the movies being tossed back and forth in this thread.

pedro
01-25-2007, 09:10 PM

Accepted
Superman Returns
Click
Pink Panther

Lucky Number Slevin
The Theif Lord
Danny Deckchair
Last Holiday

I liked Accepted. It was stupid.

Betterread
01-25-2007, 09:15 PM
The New World.

I always watch a movie to the bitter end. I turned this turkey off after about 45 minutes. Like watching paint dry.

I don't watch many movies, so in terms of comparison to other current movies, these comments may not be that useful.
I found this movie to be a compelling meditation on redemptive love and its power and the movie was unique in that it was able to communicate this aspect visually, through its distintive visual poetry. The use of the Das Rheingold prelude (the repeated musical motif in the movie) was effective - what a beautiful piece.

cincinnati chili
01-26-2007, 12:43 AM
I didn't see Inside Man. I'll add that to my list.

Recommending another Spike Lee film... It's a few years old, but for those of you who liked Inside Man, check out 25th hour, starring Ed Norton, if you haven't seen it. Very, very enjoyable.

Sweetstop
01-26-2007, 08:55 AM
I actually liked The New World. Different kind of movie for sure though, more of an experience than a film. It felt like watching a dream.

I rarely see a movie I don't like because I'm pretty picky about what I'll spend money on. The worst movie I saw in the past year was probably Hard Candy though. I don't even know if it was bad really (it was very intense) but it was just something I would have preferred not to see I think. Anyone who's seen it will probably know what I'm talking about.

Anyone see Children of Men? I think it technically came out this year, but it's definitely one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time.

I really liked The New World (Terrence Malick film Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line) also and thought Children of Men was one of the most riveting movies I've seen in a long time. Based on a P.D. James novel from the 90's, it sure resonates today. Plus, it starred Clive Owen, a favorite of mine as I mentioned a few posts back.

Sweetstop
01-26-2007, 08:57 AM
I didn't see Inside Man. I'll add that to my list.

Recommending another Spike Lee film... It's a few years old, but for those of you who liked Inside Man, check out 25th hour, starring Ed Norton, if you haven't seen it. Very, very enjoyable.

Liked 25th Hour too. Ed Norton is always terrific. The Illusionist is on my Netflix queue, and I want to see The Painted Veil.

RFS62
01-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Liked 25th Hour too. Ed Norton is always terrific. The Illusionist is on my Netflix queue, and I want to see The Painted Veil.

Yeah, 25th Hour was a great flick, very provacative. I'm a big Ed Norton fan too. Just picked up The Illusionist and will probably watch it this weekend.

TeamCasey
01-26-2007, 09:06 AM

I'm disappointed, because I was looking for an epic sort of film. This one just didn't know what it wanted to be.

Sweetstop
01-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah, 25th Hour was a great flick, very provacative. I'm a big Ed Norton fan too. Just picked up The Illusionist and will probably watch it this weekend.

Let me know what you think about The Illusionist.

timmario66
01-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Let me know what you think about The Illusionist.

I thought it was very good but wrapped up at the end way too fast. The Prestige was a much better movie.

As for Worst Movie of the Year, The Family Stone has to rank pretty high on my list.

Sweetstop
01-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm disappointed, because I was looking for an epic sort of film. This one just didn't know what it wanted to be.

Malick probably knows what he wanted it to be, but his movies do tend to have that effect on people. Since he's only done 4 (Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, and this), maybe he thinks about them too much.:) They sometimes meander and are sometimes moody, always artistic.

I thought The New World was beautifully made w/ an incredible score. Redsfaithful's description "like watching a dream" seems apt.

Sweetstop
01-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I thought it was very good but wrapped up at the end way too fast. The Prestige was a much better movie.

As for Worst Movie of the Year, The Family Stone has to rank pretty high on my list.

Thanks for the info. I still haven't seen The Prestige either. Couldn't agree w/ you more about The Family Stone. Ugh!

RedsBaron
01-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Malick probably knows what he wanted it to be, but his movies do tend to have that effect on people. Since he's only done 4 (Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, and this), maybe he thinks about them too much.:) They sometimes meander and are sometimes moody, always artistic.

I thought The New World was beautifully made w/ an incredible score. Redsfaithful's description "like watching a dream" seems apt.

I've seen both Days of Heaven and The New World. Both were beautiful and artistic, but, after a while, I kind of got bored with each one. I loved the opening scenes of The New World, which I thought really showed the sheer wonder that both the Powhatan Indians and the English settlers must have felt as they first encountered each other. Yes, RF's description is apt.

Larkin Fan
01-26-2007, 08:42 PM

Hardly. I found it extremely entertaining. Great piece of satire.

redhawkfish
01-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I thought "The Guardian" with Kevin Costner was awful, and letting my kids talk to me into the "Santa Clause 3" also proved to be a terrible waste of money!

Dom Heffner
01-27-2007, 12:01 PM
I love it when critics get a little jab at a movie based on its title. Richard Roeper said that with "Running With Scissors," he wanted the whole cast to "fall with scissors" near the end of the film.

westofyou
01-27-2007, 12:21 PM

Malick is fancied as the Thomas Pynchon of filmmaking.

I can't get into either myself.

But Malick has a lyrical quality to his visuals, it's very sweeping a bit of Jean Renoir and John Ford. I see his approach being about film as a visual medium that doesn't need narrative structure to define the emotions of the moment, that is attacked with filters and light, but fraught with the pace of L'Avventura. If I want that I'll just go outside and watch nature for an hour for free.

Betterread
01-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Malick is fancied as the Thomas Pynchon of filmmaking.

I can't get into either myself.

But Malick has a lyrical quality to his visuals, it's very sweeping a bit of Jean Renoir and John Ford. I see his approach being about film as a visual medium that doesn't need narrative structure to define the emotions of the moment, that is attacked with filters and light, but fraught with the pace of L'Avventura. If I want that I'll just go outside and watch nature for an hour for free.

You have some interesting opinions - your observation of Malick's and Antonioni's qualities sound like criticisms. What's wrong with watching nature - I do it every chance I can get?

westofyou
01-27-2007, 12:55 PM
You have some interesting opinions - your observation of Malick's and Antonioni's qualities sound like criticisms. What's wrong with watching nature - I do it every chance I can get?

Not criticisms, I just find that type of film making to be to be hit or miss at times, it can entrap the moment of the narrative and it can distract, it's in the distracting moment that it only grabs a few of the viewers. Since film as narrative is so ingrained in our culture its' hard to toss the narrative aside for most, seeing how the three act method of storytelling is so prevalent I at times find myself straining to find the defining points of the three acts, which at times are not always there.

As for nature, I'm with you there, I enjoy it first hand over second hand, and there are great films like Koyaanisqatsi that convey that beautifully.

Ltlabner
01-27-2007, 01:00 PM
As for nature, I'm with you there, I enjoy it first hand over second hand, and there are great films like Koyaanisqatsi that convey that beautifully.

Is that anything like Blazing Saddles? :dunno:

savafan
01-27-2007, 04:25 PM

That was a great film. I watched it in school. Means, "Life Out Of Balance" if I remember correctly.

Betterread
01-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Not criticisms, I just find that type of film making to be to be hit or miss at times, it can entrap the moment of the narrative and it can distract, it's in the distracting moment that it only grabs a few of the viewers. Since film as narrative is so ingrained in our culture its' hard to toss the narrative aside for most, seeing how the three act method of storytelling is so prevalent I at times find myself straining to find the defining points of the three acts, which at times are not always there.

Great points, and well-articulated. I like movies that use all the potentials of the medium - control of perspective, control of movement, sound, light, etc. I think Malick has the ability to manipulate these potentials toward telling not only a story, but to communicate deeper aspects of man's relationship to the world.

Jaycint
01-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Wolf Creek. Terrible, terrible movie. Luckily I saw it at the $2.50 matinee price.

Wow, I really liked Wolf Creek. Beginning was kind of slow but I understand that McLean was trying to use that portion of the movie to set the scene of the Australian Outback.

Once it got to the blood and guts about a half hour in I was happier than a pig in mud. :evil:

Of course I'm really big into the horror/gore genre so my opinion may be slanted.

savafan
01-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Wow, I really liked Wolf Creek. Beginning was kind of slow but I understand that McLean was trying to use that portion of the movie to set the scene of the Australian Outback.

Once it got to the blood and guts about a half hour in I was happier than a pig in mud. :evil:

Of course I'm really big into the horror/gore genre so my opinion may be slanted.

I'm with you on this one, I liked Wolf Creek too. Especially head on a stick. ;)

Jaycint
01-28-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm with you on this one, I liked Wolf Creek too. Especially head on a stick. ;)

I thought John Jarrett was brilliant in the bad guy role. Totally nailed it.