PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Baseball coincidences

redsmetz
01-26-2007, 01:33 PM
A cool sunny Friday afternoon and I've had two random baseball occurances today.

At my age, you peruse the daily obits. I'm at the age where lots of friends are losing parents or folks I've know are passing away (in fact, I noticed the wife of an attorney I know was listed). I noticed one name and I know I'm distantly related to one family with this same name. As I'm reading down the names where they list the guy's children and they put their spouses in parenthesis, I noticed that it was Joe Torre's father-in-law (his wife is from here). But it was just so normal and there was Torre's name. Condolences to her family.

I buy books at a thrift shop to sell on eBay or Amazon (mostly). Today I picked up some James Bond paperbacks and while checking the inside there was a letter inserted in the front. Dated 6/17/67, the writer (Ginger) says she's going to come into town on the bus on Friday the 23rd. She comments, "Pittsburgh will be playing in Cincin that evening. Do you think, maybe?". The Reds lost that night 4-2. The Reds were winning 2-1 going into the ninth and it fell apart:

PIRATES 9TH: EDWARDS REPLACED COKER (PLAYING C ); Rodgers
singled to left; SPRIGGS RAN FOR RODGERS; ABERNATHY REPLACED
ELLIS (PITCHING); Spriggs stole second; Alley walked; WILLS
BATTED FOR MAY; Wills singled to left [Spriggs scored, Alley to
second]; MOTA BATTED FOR RIBANT; Mota out on a sacrifice bunt
(catcher to second) [Alley to third, Wills to second]; ARRIGO
REPLACED ABERNATHY (PITCHING); PAGLIARONI BATTED FOR ALOU;
Pagliaroni was walked intentionally; PAGAN BATTED FOR LUPLOW;
LEE REPLACED ARRIGO (PITCHING); Lee threw a wild pitch [Alley
scored, Wills to third, Pagliaroni to second]; Pagan hit a
sacrifice fly to right [Wills scored]; Clemente was walked
intentionally; Clendenon was called out on strikes; 3 R, 2 H, 0
E, 2 LOB. Pirates 4, Reds 2.

REDS 9TH: PAGLIARONI STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING C ); MCBEAN
REPLACED PAGAN (PITCHING); SPRIGGS STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING LF);
WILLS STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING 3B); MOTA STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING
CF); QUEEN BATTED FOR SIMPSON; Queen flied out to left; Pinson
grounded out (second to first); Perez walked; May struck out
(catcher to first); 0 R, 0 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Pirates 4, Reds 2.

I hope they had a better time the rest of the weekend.

Baseball's sneaking into our psyches with just a short time for pitchers and catchers to report.

thatcoolguy_22
01-27-2007, 12:54 PM
A cool sunny Friday afternoon and I've had two random baseball occurances today.

I buy books at a thrift shop to sell on eBay or Amazon (mostly). Today I picked up some James Bond paperbacks and while checking the inside there was a letter inserted in the front. Dated 6/17/67, the writer (Ginger) says she's going to come into town on the bus on Friday the 23rd. She comments, "Pittsburgh will be playing in Cincin that evening. Do you think, maybe?". The Reds lost that night 4-2. The Reds were winning 2-1 going into the ninth and it fell apart:

Baseball's sneaking into our psyches with just a short time for pitchers and catchers to report.

very cool story.

westofyou
01-27-2007, 01:10 PM

At my age, you peruse the daily obits. I'm at the age where lots of friends are losing parents or folks I've know are passing away (in fact, I noticed the wife of an attorney I know was listed). I noticed one name and I know I'm distantly related to one family with this same name. As I'm reading down the names where they list the guy's children and they put their spouses in parenthesis, I noticed that it was Joe Torre's father-in-law (his wife is from here). But it was just so normal and there was Torre's name. Condolences to her family.

I was just reading up on the 67 team last night, during that week there were riots in Avondale and the Reds attendance took a little hit. The Reds were pretty good up until about then, a slew of injuries hit them that week. How bad was it? The night after the 17th Tony Perez started and made his only appearance at second base that game.

redsupport
01-27-2007, 01:12 PM
they never should have replaced the redoubtable Jim Coker