PDA

View Full Version : Reds shopped Dunn, no takers

Redlegs
01-28-2007, 11:29 AM
According to Richard Skinner, the Reds shopped Adam Dunn extensively over the off-season. The best they were offered were # 3 and # 4 starters.

I don't know how valid that is, but Adam's value decreased last season.

Ravenlord
01-28-2007, 11:37 AM
if Skinner said it, i expect it's a ploy to get people to pay attention.

Redlegs
01-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Possibly, but I really think Dunn's value took a dip last season. When the Reds shipped out Kearns, I felt they traded the wrong guy. Dunn's advantage over Kearns was obviously his homerun ability and his ability to stay healthy. Overall, I felt Kearns was a better baseball player than Dunn.

cinredsfan2000
01-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Overall, I felt Kearns was a better baseball player than Dunn.

Hasnt that been said about kearns and Dunn when compared since both were on the verge of joining the big leagues. While kearns has shown flashes of being as advertised i think Dunn has pretty much been what we all expected. While Kearns has been knicked up seemingly at every turn when he starts to show his potential. Granted i liked the guy and would of rather not seen him shipped to washington. But hopefully Deno comes on strong and puts the disscusion of the kearns and dunn debate to rest.

Redlegs
01-28-2007, 12:54 PM
From what I've seen, Denorfia can run like a deer and play solid defense, but he's a slap hitter. I don't see any pop in his bat at all. I hope you are correct, though.

As far as Dunn, the thing that gets me is his defense. Defense should improve with work and practice. I have seen no improvement in his defense. If anything, it's gone backward. I don't want to be a Dunn basher. If the guy's wearing the wishbone C on his chest, he has my full support. I just get frustrated when guys don't or can't play fundamental baseball.

Krusty
01-28-2007, 12:56 PM
What? Are you telling me Bowden wasn't interested in Dunn?

Dunn for RHP Chad Cordero and OF Ryan Church.

It would be interesting to see what kind of numbers Church could put up playing at bandbox GAB compare to Death Valley RFK? Cordero would give the Reds a bonafide closer.

pedro
01-28-2007, 01:06 PM
http://www.uloc.de/screenshots/1/1f18_chalmers.jpg

redsmetz
01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm glad to hear. I've not wanted him to go and it looks like he'll be here for a while.

TC81190
01-28-2007, 01:35 PM
What? Are you telling me Bowden wasn't interested in Dunn?

Dunn for RHP Chad Cordero and OF Ryan Church.

It would be interesting to see what kind of numbers Church could put up playing at bandbox GAB compare to Death Valley RFK? Cordero would give the Reds a bonafide closer.

I'd hit it.

BigRed
01-28-2007, 02:05 PM
This just goes to show that it is not the right time to trade Dunn. If this is true, I am glad that they did not trade him for a #4 starter. That would have been a joke. Let's see if he can have a good year and increase his value before bringing this up again.

wheels
01-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Those radio guys are boobs.

I'd like to know where he heard this.

KronoRed
01-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Excellent

Jaycint
01-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Those radio guys are boobs.

Saggy ones at that...

Joseph
01-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Want to have some legitimacy as a news person? Allow me to assist by providing this rumor,

'Reds tried to trade Griffey, but were only offered less than appealing offers for him.'

Chance this is true....50%. Chance that I know this for a fact....0%. Likelihood a radio/tv/internet personality concocts SOME of their 'rumors and facts' in the same manner.....100%.

He heard a rumor somewhere that the Reds tried to move Dunn to team X for player A, but team X countered with player D instead.

Damn this too much like algebra.

RFS62
01-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Wow. So Richard Skinner scooped every sportswriter in America.

Yeah, right.

westofyou
01-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Wow. So Richard Skinner scooped every sportswriter in America.

Yeah, right.

BTW... who the heck is Richard Skinner?

IowaRed
01-28-2007, 02:29 PM

Armin Tamzarian?

Redhook
01-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Skinner is one of the two Angry Saggy Boobs....I mean, "Angry Guys." Skinner along with Tom Gamble are on in the mornings in Cincy on channel 1530, the homer, from 6:00 - 10:00. Gamble isn't on as often now, or much at all for that matter, since he took over Andy Furman's spot on 700 wlw in the evenings.

RANDY IN INDY
01-28-2007, 02:46 PM
I liked Kearns. With that said, I'm glad the Reds are still in possession of Adam Dunn and not Austin Kearns.

BenHayes
01-28-2007, 04:55 PM
You know i'd like Dunn if only it looked like he gave 100% in the field. Maybe he does and my 53 year old eyes are not seeing it but i'd love to see him act like Paul O'Neill once in a while.

westofyou
01-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Richard Skinner was shopping his opinion.

There are no takers.

If he actually seemed like he was giving 100% behind the mic, like Dan Patrick then I might buy it.

Redlegs
01-28-2007, 08:18 PM
You know i'd like Dunn if only it looked like he gave 100% in the field. Maybe he does and my 53 year old eyes are not seeing it but i'd love to see him act like Paul O'Neill once in a while.

I agree. Like I stated earlier, defense is something that can be improved a great deal with hard work. I don't see that in Dunner. Of course, he may be working his butt off. I'm just giving my take.

Team Clark
01-28-2007, 09:33 PM

O'Neill was a pretty good loafer while he was a Red. Privilieged kid who thought he had it all coming to him. He had a manager in Pete Rose who really liked him and coddled his behavior. Pauly jogged after his fair share of balls in the OF and such. It wasn't until that attitude was deemed intolerable that he really turned it up a notch...or three. He'll tell you that to your face today. He learned a lot when he got to his first Yankee ST.

WVRedsFan
01-29-2007, 02:42 AM
I always thought O'Neill "phoned it in" while with the Reds. But that's just my opinion.

As for Kearns, I did some calculating and came up with this:

Player R H 2B 3B HR RBI OBP SLG OPS

Kearns 33 53 12 1 8 36 .381 .429 .810
Freel 21 45 10 1 5 17 .361 .399 .751

Regardless of the acquisition of Gonzalez over the winter, the loss of Kearns meant less runs, HR, RBI, OBP SLG, and OPS. Magic would have to have a sub-4 ERA and Bray would have to become a light-out lefty. Neither will happen. Bad deal. Too bad we'll be talking about this for the next 5 years, but we will.

redsmetz
01-29-2007, 06:22 AM
I always thought O'Neill "phoned it in" while with the Reds. But that's just my opinion.

As for Kearns, I did some calculating and came up with this:

Player R H 2B 3B HR RBI OBP SLG OPS

Kearns 33 53 12 1 8 36 .381 .429 .810
Freel 21 45 10 1 5 17 .361 .399 .751

Regardless of the acquisition of Gonzalez over the winter, the loss of Kearns meant less runs, HR, RBI, OBP SLG, and OPS. Magic would have to have a sub-4 ERA and Bray would have to become a light-out lefty. Neither will happen. Bad deal. Too bad we'll be talking about this for the next 5 years, but we will.

We'll see. Last year I caught flack for suggesting that the team could win the division if they dropped their ERA by a point. They achieved about 2/3 of that (from .515 to .451) and were in the hunt. If we'd have shaved of that final .40, we'd have won a number of ballgames more.

If Majewski can give us what he had in '05, he'll be a good find (4-4, .293). If he's healthy, I think he's capable of performing that way. Bray, I think, has loads of upside. We'll see what Kearns and Lopez do. It remains an open question.

M2
01-29-2007, 12:23 PM

Oddly, Reds fans never much liked O'Neill when he acted like Paul O'Neill.

I(heart)Freel
01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
O'Neill was a pretty good loafer while he was a Red. Privilieged kid who thought he had it all coming to him. He had a manager in Pete Rose who really liked him and coddled his behavior. Pauly jogged after his fair share of balls in the OF and such. It wasn't until that attitude was deemed intolerable that he really turned it up a notch...or three. He'll tell you that to your face today. He learned a lot when he got to his first Yankee ST.

Not sure I see that at all.

In fact, in his book, Paul talks about how Pete ripped him up and down any time he dogged it. The priceless incident when he kicked the ball back to the infield certainly backs that up. Pete made sure he was sitting the next game and knew why.

Dunn just seems awkward. Not that he's not hustling. Just that it doesn't come naturally. I think Marty once said he "lumbers" out there in the field. I see that.

deltachi8
01-29-2007, 12:44 PM
If he actually seemed like he was giving 100% behind the mic, like Dan Patrick then I might buy it.

:laugh:

Team Clark
01-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Not sure I see that at all.

In fact, in his book, Paul talks about how Pete ripped him up and down any time he dogged it. The priceless incident when he kicked the ball back to the infield certainly backs that up. Pete made sure he was sitting the next game and knew why.

Dunn just seems awkward. Not that he's not hustling. Just that it doesn't come naturally. I think Marty once said he "lumbers" out there in the field. I see that.

I should have been more specific. You're right that Pete didn't put up with the non-hustling. Pete at one point gave the everyday RF job to Tracy jones because of Paul's lack of hustle. Which was frequent. Pete DID put up with his antics and childish behavior because he really liked Paul. Once Pete really got into Paul things improved. When he became a Yankee he COMPLETELY understood. Your comments are correct. I should have taken a it more time on that.

Wheelhouse
01-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Ahhhh...I'll just kick back and watch this one play out...

TeamSelig
01-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Makes sense.

We found no takers for Dunn.... for what we wanted in return (probably an established SP, a pitching prospect, and a hitting prospect).. just a guess on what our return would have to be

westofyou
01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I should have been more specific. You're right that Pete didn't put up with the non-hustling. Pete at one point gave the everyday RF job to Tracy jones because of Paul's lack of hustle. Which was frequent. Pete DID put up with his antics and childish behavior because he really liked Paul. Once Pete really got into Paul things improved. When he became a Yankee he COMPLETELY understood. Your comments are correct. I should have taken a it more time on that.

That's true and funny, especially since Rose ballooned once he stopped playing and started wearing the warmup jacket, he even persisted doing it despite the league threatening him with a fine in 1987.

That's a Pete legacy right there, look around the league at all the managers who never seem to take the damn thing off.

wheels
01-29-2007, 02:20 PM
That's true and funny, especially since Rose ballooned once he stopped playing and started wearing the warmup jacket, he even persisted doing it despite the league threatening him with a fine in 1987.

That's a Pete legacy right there, look around the league at all the managers who never seem to take the damn thing off.

I've always payed attention to that.

I thought I was the only one.

Redlegs
01-29-2007, 07:59 PM

Sweet Lou being one. Mike Hargrove, Mike Soscia being a couple more. Never thought of that. Good observation.

On that same topic, the fact Miley wore his jacket all season used to drive Marty bonkers.

membengal
01-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Perhaps we can now guess that the ever-bitter Marty Brennamen was Skinner's source?

Eric_Davis
01-31-2007, 01:23 AM
According to Richard Skinner, the Reds shopped Adam Dunn extensively over the off-season. The best they were offered were # 3 and # 4 starters.

I don't know how valid that is, but Adam's value decreased last season.

Who the heck is Richard Skinner? Dick skinner?! Boy, did he get beat up a lot as a child.

At least I know it's someone I need not pay attention to if I ever come across him.

PuffyPig
01-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Unless Dunn starts OPS'ing 1.000 or so, his trade value will diminish the closer he gets to FA.

Ravenlord
02-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Unless Dunn starts OPS'ing 1.000 or so, his trade value will diminish the closer he gets to FA.

true, but that may not neccessarily be a bad thing (value wise) depending on his EQA and IOS.