PDA

View Full Version : Marty on with the 2 angry guys

icehole3
01-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Yesterday Marty the King who has been with Krivsky during the caravan reported yesterday that Krivsky has had phone conversations with Dustin Hermanson and Steve Trachsel. Hermanson is scheduled to do a bullpen session sometime in the next 2 weeks. He said Krivsky will make another move before spring training. I believe Marty who has been with Krivsky for the last few weeks is considered a reliable source. He also mention Krivsky is well aware of what's being said and written in the media. Thats radio, internet and newspapers. Marty is the king.

:p:

icehole3
01-29-2007, 08:11 AM
The "another move" Marty mentioned was to aquire 1 more pitcher.

Tom Servo
01-29-2007, 08:43 AM
3 months ago I would have been very much against even considering Trachsel, but at the rates pitchers have gone during the offseason I really wouldn't mind taking a flyer on the guy if no one else has interest.

Hermanson would be an even better guy to take a chance on, low risk high reward if he's healthy enough.

forfreelin04
01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Hermanson presents an interesting arm. He's been injury prone in the past and it will be telling for Wayne and company to see where his arm strength/velocity is at. He thrived in the closers role in Chicago for most of their championship year before going down which opened the door for Jenks. Being from his area, I have talked to his former High School coach. I was told Dustin has the closers mentality and his success there suggests so. He started out as a starter similiar to a Loshe, who has great stuff but wasnt able to keep it all together.

It would be a low risk high reward if they could sign him to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training. Anymore than that and I think their overpaying. However, if he turns out to be a legitimate closer and thrive in that role then it creates a stop gap before Guradado is healthy (if!) Also, Stanton and Weather could be transferred to the setup role which leaves Bray, Magic, Coffey, and the rest to divy up the remaining innings. I think this Reds bullpen has some great potential to have some great success. You have two experienced closers in Hermanson and Guardado with Weathers as Plan C and two future closers in Bray and Coffey. Not to mention collecting all these parts opens up opportunities for a mid season trade.
However, I think the key to the bullpen is Narrons usage. Hopefully Pole can give Narron the support he needs. One of the biggest concerns I had last year was he used Cormier in inning work instead of spot work. Correct me if Im wrong but I think Philly used him to face one or two batters at most. Anytime he throws an inning or more he seems to falter.

Red Leader
01-29-2007, 12:33 PM
So there were 3 angry guys? ;)

Red Leader
01-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Hermanson presents an interesting arm. He's been injury prone in the past and it will be telling for Wayne and company to see where his arm strength/velocity is at. He thrived in the closers role in Chicago for most of their championship year before going down which opened the door for Jenks. Being from his area, I have talked to his former High School coach. I was told Dustin has the closers mentality and his success there suggests so. He started out as a starter similiar to a Loshe, who has great stuff but wasnt able to keep it all together.

Let me just say that Dustin Hermanson will have a closers mentality probably until the day he dies. Mentally, he can handle the situation. He's tough and determined and has that "natural" fight you like to see in players. The drawback is his ego. He's going to think he has "it" until the day he dies as well. I doubt you'll ever be able to tell him that he doesn't have "it" at any point in his career. I'd have a hard time seeing him agree to sign a minor league contract at this point in his career. He's going to want a guaranteed major league deal and I wouldn't be surprised to see him look somewhere else rather than sign a minor league deal.

Chip R
01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Hopefully Pole can give Narron the support he needs.

That's a good use for a pole. ;)

It would be worth it to sign Traschel to a contract just to hear Marty blow a gasket since he's such a slow worker. :lol:

redsfan30
01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I think Hermanson would be a risk well worth taking. I'm not sure Trachsel is needed here, though.

savafan
01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, this confirms what I heard Krivsky say about him looking at a couple more pitchers.

forfreelin04
01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
That's a good use for a pole. ;)

It would be worth it to sign Traschel to a contract just to hear Marty blow a gasket since he's such a slow worker. :lol:

HAHA! I think Redzoners would have liked to offer him some numerous times last year.

forfreelin04
01-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Let me just say that Dustin Hermanson will have a closers mentality probably until the day he dies. Mentally, he can handle the situation. He's tough and determined and has that "natural" fight you like to see in players. The drawback is his ego. He's going to think he has "it" until the day he dies as well. I doubt you'll ever be able to tell him that he doesn't have "it" at any point in his career. I'd have a hard time seeing him agree to sign a minor league contract at this point in his career. He's going to want a guaranteed major league deal and I wouldn't be surprised to see him look somewhere else rather than sign a minor league deal.

I agree. His High School coach told me that out of the three Kenton Ridge High School Major Leaguers, Dustin has provided the least amount of contact. Now this could be because hes never played in Cincinnati but who knows? Rumor has it, during his brief reign as top closer on the White Sox, that Dustin frequented the Barry Bonds GNC. Now thats just a rumor and could be very well unfounded, but a tidbit to throw out there nonetheless.

Red Leader
01-29-2007, 01:19 PM
I agree. His High School coach told me that out of the three Kenton Ridge High School Major Leaguers, Dustin has provided the least amount of contact. Now this could be because hes never played in Cincinnati but who knows? Rumor has it, during his brief reign as top closer on the White Sox, that Dustin frequented the Barry Bonds GNC. Now thats just a rumor and could be very well unfounded, but a tidbit to throw out there nonetheless.

I don't want to say whether he did or didn't do anything illegal because I don't know at all, but I'm not shocked to hear his name involved in that kind of stuff. I wouldn't be suprised to see him do anything to keep himself competitive at the major league level. All he wants to do is compete and I wouldn't doubt that he'd be one of those people that would do anything to keep himself competitive.

forfreelin04
01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't want to say whether he did or didn't do anything illegal because I don't know at all, but I'm not shocked to hear his name involved in that kind of stuff. I wouldn't be suprised to see him do anything to keep himself competitive at the major league level. All he wants to do is compete and I wouldn't doubt that he'd be one of those people that would do anything to keep himself competitive.

My thoughts exactly. I think the competiveness is what drives ballplayers to take steroids in the first place. However, if they only realized that "taking" them is the least competitive part of the game. Hey, at least Pete channeled his competitive spirit into gambling instead of roids. Michael Jordan did the same.

Hoosier Red
01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
My thoughts exactly. I think the competiveness is what drives ballplayers to take steroids in the first place. However, if they only realized that "taking" them is the least competitive part of the game. Hey, at least Pete channeled his competitive spirit into gambling instead of roids. Michael Jordan did the same.
Except for the amphetamines Pete took.

Mario-Rijo
01-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Red Leader

Great points and spot on I might add! He definitely has the arrogance of a superstar in the mold of a Bonds and the stuff to back it up when he is healthy. But his workout will hopefully reveal something one way or another. My thoughts are if his back is fine he will "TAKE" the closers job and it won't be until EG gets back, it would be for good or as long as his back holds up.

Friday, January 26
WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Dustin Hermanson
White Sox Giants?
Athletics?
Marlins?
Devil Rays?
Reds?
Phillies?
Yankees? The dirt on Dustin
Jan 26 - Dustin Hermanson, who pitched only 6 2/3 innings for the White Sox last year because of chronic back problems, will be working out for interested clubs the week of Feb. 5 in Scottsdale, Ariz., reports ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.
Agent Casey Close said teams are expressing interest in Hermanson as both a setup man or potential closer insurance. "His back is fine," Close said. "People just want to watch him work out and see if he's healthy."

Hermanson, 34, has a career 73-78 record in 12 seasons with San Diego, Montreal, St. Louis, Boston, San Francisco and the White Sox. His best season as a reliever came in 2005, when he saved 34 games for Chicago.