PDA

View Full Version : Schilling says he'll pitch in 2008 season

Degenerate39
01-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Schilling says he'll pitch in 2008 season

By MARK PRATT, Associated Press Writer
January 29, 2007

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston Red Sox star Curt Schilling said Monday he will not retire at the end of the 2007 season as previously indicated and plans to pitch in 2008.

The 40-year-old Schilling made his comments on WEEI-AM radio and confirmed them to The Associated Press.

The right-hander's contract with the Red Sox ends after the 2007 season, but he said he was in discussions for an extension. If Schilling, who acts as his own agent, can't work out a deal in Boston, he will pitch for another team -- but not the New York Yankees.

"I'm in discussions with the Red Sox, we had talked last week and there's a lot going on obviously right now, but where I'm going to play beyond 2007 ... I hope it's Boston," he told the radio station. "This is where I want to play and in the days leading up to spring training we'll figure it out one way or the other. If I go into this season without a contract from the Red Sox then I will go out and find a home for 2008."

Schilling told the station he decided to play beyond the 2007 season after discussions with his family.

Owner John Henry said Schilling's announcement was great news for the team.

"It was something that has been in the back of my mind for the last year," Henry told The Associated Press in an e-mail. "He's such a competitor you had to figure that if he is healthy, pitching well and still has that fire, it would make sense for him to continue. He's still one of the elite pitchers in all of baseball."

The Red Sox have a full slate of potential starters. Along with Japanese ace Daisuke Matsuzaka, who signed a $52 million, six-year contract last month, the Red Sox have Josh Beckett, Tim Wakefield, Jonathan Papelbon and Jon Lester.

Schilling was 15-7 with a 3.97 ERA last season, striking out 183 and walking 28 in 204 innings.

He is 207-138 with a 3.44 ERA in a 19-year major league career with stops in Baltimore, Houston, Philadelphia, Arizona and Boston, where he has played the last three seasons.

Schilling, 21-6 in 2004, had a detached tendon in his right ankle temporarily sutured into place so he could pitch in the playoffs, helping the Red Sox win their first World Series since 1918. The ankle was surgically repaired after the season.

BCubb2003
01-29-2007, 02:32 PM
I guess that means he's not going to run for the Senate.