PDA

View Full Version : Edwin to sit out Caribbean Series

reds44
01-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Encarnacion to sit out Caribbean Series

Here's a story from ESPN Deportes saying Edwin Encarnacion will sit out the Caribbean Series.

I'm not exactly bilingual -- and considering I've lived in Cuba and South Texas, I should have much better Spanish skills than I do -- so I took the story to babel fish and it gave me a slightly easier to understand translation. Here's babelfish's translation of one of Edwin's quotes:

"it has been one hard season (local) and a good rest will do to me very well, because now they hope to me more than seven months of a harder still season in the United States", explained the player, who led with six pushed produced returns the classified one of of the series.

Something about "who led with six pushed produced returns" really amuses me.
-Trent

For those who speak Spanish:
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=523685&s=bei&type=story

Ltlabner
01-29-2007, 04:49 PM
He's tired........

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes10/BlazeSaddle119.jpeg

Tom Servo
01-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Hopefully Edwin gets many pushed produced returns and will be the classified one in many series in 07.

JTD
01-29-2007, 05:08 PM
He mind that he was the leader of the series in rbi with 6

Phhhl
01-29-2007, 06:00 PM
He has torn up spring training each of the past two seasons. Last year he seems to kind of hit a wall and started to loft easy fly balls to right that he was mashing earlier in the spring/season. He seemed to tire, and if he has been playing year round I can understand why. Hopefully the break will serve Edwin well. When he breaks out, the world will know it.

jmac
01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
I am glad he is taking a little rest.
I think he can put up numbers similar to Wright and Rolen and I wouldnt want to see him get burn out !

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-29-2007, 08:15 PM
He's tired........

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes10/BlazeSaddle119.jpeg

"Don't you know she's pooped?!"

oneupper
01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Really. The Caribbean Series is just 6 games. Not much of a grind.

This probably more about not wanting to travel to Puerto Rico or risk injury.
You could say it would be challenge, but the Dominican League is the best fo the Winter Leagues so he's probably not going to face better pitching than he did in the final and semi-finals (round robin).

After the playoff performance EdE had, he could only go down. Maybe he wanted to end his winter on a high note.

TeamBoone
01-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Really. The Caribbean Series is just 6 games. Not much of a grind.

On a daily basis, you're right... not much of a grind. But when you look at Edwin's big picture, it's got to have been a grind. He's been playing baseball pretty much non-stop since last February. And he'll be playing again in 3-4 short weeks.

He needs the short 1 months' rest.

Ron Madden
01-30-2007, 01:21 AM
On a daily basis, you're right... not much of a grind. But when you look at Edwin's big picture, it's got to have been a grind. He's been playing baseball pretty much non-stop since last February. And he'll be playing again in 3-4 short weeks.

He needs the short 1 months' rest.

I could not agree more. :thumbup: Let the kid rest for a week or two.

Jpup
01-30-2007, 04:42 AM
Anyone know how his defense has been in winter ball?

HalMorrisRules
01-30-2007, 09:53 AM
These games are on TV and can be seen if you get the Sports Pack through DirecTV. I am not sure about other cable/satellite services. I have them set to record already and it will be nice to see some baseball.

membengal
01-30-2007, 09:58 AM
I cannot believe anyone in here has a problem with EE getting a breather ahead of camp.

Chip R
01-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Not very scrappy. ;)

bucksfan2
01-30-2007, 10:12 AM
This is exactly the reason that I quesiton why the reds would let EE play winter ball. Whats the guy going to get, one month's rest? I hope he doesn't tire this season becasue the reds are counting on big things from him.

Chip R
01-30-2007, 10:56 AM
This is exactly the reason that I quesiton why the reds would let EE play winter ball. Whats the guy going to get, one month's rest? I hope he doesn't tire this season becasue the reds are counting on big things from him.

It's up to the player, really. A lot of these players - especially the younger ones - have enormous pressure to play in these leagues from the local fans. When they get older and have proven themselves, there's a lot less pressure since they contribute more financially. Plus they know an older player needs more time off than the younger ones. The Reds - and other clubs - can suggest he not play winter ball but they can't make him not play. When he starts pulling down multi-millions, I'm sure the Reds will make it known to him that playing winter ball could hurt the investment they have made in him.

oneupper
01-30-2007, 11:21 AM
I cannot believe anyone in here has a problem with EE getting a breather ahead of camp.

Actually EdE appears to have changed his mind and will be going. (Same as Wily Mo).

http://www.licey.com/articulo.asp?did=6528

There is some "country pride" in the Caribbean Series and EdE would catch quite a bit of flak from the local press if he decides not to go.

Kind of like: "Miguel Tejada is going...Miguel Cabrera is going (for Venezuela)"...who does 24 yr old EdE think he is?

This is also the first time he is such a big part of the team's success.

Alexis Gomez and Mendy López (two "veterans") apparently will NOT be going.

Teams going to the Caribbean series can REINFORCE their rosters with picks from eliminated teams. The Aguilas are looking to take Juan Cruz, Anderson Hernández and José Bautista from Licey. Robinson Canó was wanted, but aparently wasn't possible.

Being a REINFORCEMENT is much more optional for the player, since he isn't playing for HIS team (albeit for his country). But many consider it an honor and go.

Added: The Orioles denied permission for Tejada for the Series, but he flew up to Baltimore to negotiate permission himself. With that kind of precedent, how could WMP and EdE say no?

Chip R
01-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Looks like the Yankees want Cabrera to skip the Caribbean series and he's going to do it,

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-cabrera&prov=ap&type=lgns

Gainesville Red
02-02-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm stoked about live baseball today. Anyone else watching it later?

CaiGuy
02-02-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm stoked about live baseball today. Anyone else watching it later?

When and on what channel?

Gainesville Red
02-02-2007, 11:18 AM
3:00, but I'm not sure what channel yet. Gonna have to get home and find it. I'm sure it's FSN or one of the lesser sports channels we have here. Probably Cox Sports TV or something.

I think it's also being broadcasted on MLB.com.

Gainesville Red
02-02-2007, 12:09 PM
When and on what channel?

See if you fit into any of these markets or have any of these channels.

http://www.ebeisbol.com/horariodeTV.html

CaiGuy
02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
See if you fit into any of these markets or have any of these channels.

http://www.ebeisbol.com/horariodeTV.html

Thanks alot...I should be able to watch it on FoxSports (spanish)

thanks again for the help

Gainesville Red
02-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Game one's all tied up in the top of the 17th inning.

It was not on the channel it was supposed to be on. Pretty disappointing.

Chip R
02-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Game one's all tied up in the top of the 17th inning.

Not anymore. I gues VEN went ahead in the top of the 18th but the DR pushed a couple of runs across in the bottom of the 18th for the W.

Gainesville Red
02-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Not anymore. I gues VEN went ahead in the top of the 18th but the DR pushed a couple of runs across in the bottom of the 18th for the W.

Yeah, I was "watching" it mlb gameday.

Probably wasn't as exciting as it should have been.

Gainesville Red
02-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Couple of guys I talked to said the umpires are all wearing clothes with DirecTV plastered all over them, the bastards.

Also, the Mexico @ Puerto Rico game's about to start. Puerto Rico's got Javy Valentin starting at first base, while Mexico's got Elmer Dessens pitching tonight.

HalMorrisRules
02-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Javy went 3 for 4 with a home run, 3 RBI and 3 runs scored. The games were/are on MASN on the DirecTV sports pack of channels. It was great seeing some baseball.