PDA

View Full Version : Palmer goes to the Giants

Degenerate39
01-29-2007, 06:06 PM
No not that Palmer.

Chris Palmer hired as Giants quarterbacks coach

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
January 29, 2007

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Former Cleveland Browns coach Chris Palmer was hired as quarterbacks coach of the New York Giants, taking over the job of making Eli Manning a more consistent player.

"I had Chris speak with Eli the other day and they talked for about 20-25 minutes," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said in announcing the hiring Monday. "They discussed many aspects of the quarterback position and I know they're going to work hard together on the fundamentals."

Coughlin said the 57-year-old Palmer will contribute to the game plans, but his main job will be working with Manning on the fundamentals of the position.

Manning, who has struggled in the second half in each of his two seasons as the Giants' starter, will be the fourth No. 1 overall pick that Palmer has tutored. He previously worked with Drew Bledsoe in New England, Tim Couch in Cleveland and David Carr in Houston.

"I'm excited about Coach Palmer becoming our quarterbacks coach," Manning said. "He has a history of working with some quarterbacks that have done great things in this league. I had the opportunity to meet with him on Friday and we had a good conversation."

Palmer enjoyed his talk with Manning.

"I think Eli is an extremely talented quarterback and I look forward to working with him," said Palmer, who replaces Kevin Gilbride, who was recently promoted to offensive coordinator after serving the previous three seasons as Manning's position coach.

The hiring gives Coughlin another assistant from his days in Jacksonville. Palmer was the Jaguars' offensive coordinator in 1997 and '98.

"When Kevin Gilbride left our staff in Jacksonville to become the head coach in San Diego, we brought in Chris," Coughlin said. "He did an outstanding job as our offensive coordinator for a couple of years before he became the head coach in Cleveland."

Jacksonville quarterback Mark Brunell went to the Pro Bowl in Palmer's two seasons as coordinator.

Palmer got the head coaching job in Cleveland the following year, posting a 5-27 record.

He started his NFL coaching career with New England (1993-96), and was the quarterbacks coach for Bledsoe in the final year as the Patriots went to the Super Bowl.

After being fired in Cleveland, Palmer worked as the offensive coordinator for the Houston Texans from 2002 until early in the 2005 season. He spent this past season as the Dallas Cowboys' quarterbacks coach, helping Tony Romo make the Pro Bowl.

"Chris is an excellent football coach," Coughlin said. "He's very sound, very logical and very good with the players. He's always done a good job working with quarterbacks. Just look at the numbers in Dallas this year after they made a quarterback change."

Romo took over for Bledsoe in late October and helped the Cowboys make the playoffs. He completed 220 of 337 passes for 2,903 yards, 19 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.