PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather be trapped....

Ltlabner
01-29-2007, 09:28 PM
in a serrious earthquake OR in close proximity to a massive tornado?

captainmorgan07
01-29-2007, 10:37 PM
earthquake

Jaycint
01-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Kinda depends, gotta think the earthquake wouldn't be too bad as long as you are standing out in the middle of an open field with no buildings around.

Yachtzee
01-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Kinda depends, gotta think the earthquake wouldn't be too bad as long as you are standing out in the middle of an open field with no buildings around.

Just so long as you aren't standing on top of the fault line. I wouldn't want to be buried underground like Lois Lane. I don't have Superman to sping the earth backwards to rescue me.

Jaycint
01-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Just so long as you aren't standing on top of the fault line. I wouldn't want to be buried underground like Lois Lane. I don't have Superman to sping the earth backwards to rescue me.

Haha, that's a good point.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-30-2007, 09:46 AM
I've never been around an earthquake to know how bad it could be, but I have been near tornadoes, which can be horrifying. So I'll go with the earthquake.

TeamCasey
01-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Earthquake

westofyou
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Easy one I'll take a Tornado, at least you know it's coming.

dabvu2498
01-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Agreed. Those warning sirens help.

Johnny Footstool
01-30-2007, 10:36 AM
If I was in the middle of an empty field, I'd say earthquake. If I was in a city, I'd say tornado.

TRF
01-30-2007, 10:41 AM
I've been in both.

Earthquake, hands down. Yes I know they are devastating. But they are also indiscriminate. The hit an area, and everyone is affected directly.

Tornadoes behave like they have a mind of their own. They will spare a house and destroy the one next to it. They change direction for no apparent reason, and they can disappear as fast as they form.

I loathe tornadoes.

westofyou
01-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Tornadoes behave like they have a mind of their own. They will spare a house and destroy the one next to it.

I've seen it happen with both, the earthquake damage was more extensive, all over town, all over the country side, roads closed, water out, electric out for weeks.

While the Tornado was more destructive, you could follow its path through the neighborhood and see its wrath.

Cyclone792
01-30-2007, 10:55 AM
This thread reminds me of a recent list of the Top 10 U.S. threats for future natural disasters. I'm not a meteorologist, geologist or anything like that, but it's pretty interesting nonetheless ...

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/top10_naturaldisasterthreats_us.html

1) Total Destruction of Earth
2) Gulf Coast Tsunami
3) East Coast Tsunami
4) Heat Waves
5) Midwest Earthquake
6) Yellowstone Super Volcano
7) Los Angeles Tsunami
8) Asteroid Impact
9) New York Hurricane
10) Pacific Northwest Megathrust Earthquake

Here's an interesting article and image regarding the Yellowstone Super Volcano. I stumbled across an hour long show on it a few months ago, and it was pretty interesting to say the least.

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/050308_super_volcano.html

http://www.livescience.com/images/050308_nm_volcano_yellowstone_02.jpg

Super Volcano Will Challenge Civilization, Geologists Warn

By Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Senior Writer
posted: 08 March 2005
06:30 am ET

The eruption of a super volcano "sooner or later" will chill the planet and threaten human civilization, British scientists warned Tuesday.

And now the bad news: There's not much anyone can do about it.

Several volcanoes around the world are capable of gigantic eruptions unlike anything witnessed in recorded history, based on geologic evidence of past events, the scientists said. Such eruptions would dwarf those of Mount St. Helens, Krakatoa, Pinatubo and anything else going back dozens of millennia.

"Super-eruptions are up to hundreds of times larger than these," said Stephen Self of the United Kingdom’s (U.K.) Open University.

"An area the size of North America can be devastated, and pronounced deterioration of global climate would be expected for a few years following the eruption," Self said. "They could result in the devastation of world agriculture, severe disruption of food supplies, and mass starvation. These effects could be sufficiently severe to threaten the fabric of civilization."

Self and his colleagues at the Geological Society of London presented their report to the U.K. Government's Natural Hazard Working Group.

"Although very rare these events are inevitable, and at some point in the future humans will be faced with dealing with and surviving a super eruption," Stephen Sparks of the University of Bristol told LiveScience in advance of Tuesday's announcement.

Supporting evidence

The warning is not new. Geologists in the United States detailed a similar scenario in 2001, when they found evidence suggesting volcanic activity in Yellowstone National Park will eventually lead to a colossal eruption. Half the United States will be covered in ash up to 3 feet (1 meter) deep, according to a study published in the journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters.

Explosions of this magnitude "happen about every 600,000 years at Yellowstone," says Chuck Wicks of the U.S. Geological Survey, who has studied the possibilities in separate work. "And it's been about 620,000 years since the last super explosive eruption there."

Past volcanic catastrophes at Yellowstone and elsewhere remain evident as giant collapsed basins called calderas.

A super eruption is a scaled up version of a typical volcanic outburst, Sparks explained. Each is caused by a rising and growing chamber of hot molten rock known as magma.

"In super eruptions the magma chamber is huge," Sparks said. The eruption is rapid, occurring in a matter of days. "When the magma erupts the overlying rocks collapse into the chamber, which has reduced its pressure due to the eruption. The collapse forms the huge crater."

The eruption pumps dust and chemicals into the atmosphere for years, screening the Sun and cooling the planet. Earth is plunged into a perpetual winter, some models predict, causing plant and animal species disappear forever.

"The whole of a continent might be covered by ash, which might take many years -- possibly decades -- to erode away and for vegetation to recover," Sparks said.

Yellowstone may be winding down geologically, experts say. But they believe it harbors at least one final punch. Globally, there are still plenty of possibilities for super volcano eruptions, even as Earth quiets down over the long haul of its 4.5-billion-year existence.

"The Earth is of course losing energy, but at a very slow rate, and the effects are only really noticeable over billions rather than millions of years," Sparks said.

Human impact

The odds of a globally destructive volcano explosion in any given century are extremely low, and no scientist can say when the next one will occur. But the chances are five to 10 times greater than a globally destructive asteroid impact, according to the new British report.

The next super eruption, whenever it occurs, might not be the first one humans have dealt with.

About 74,000 years ago, in what is now Sumatra, a volcano called Toba blew with a force estimated at 10,000 times that of Mount St. Helens. Ash darkened the sky all around the planet. Temperatures plummeted by up to 21 degrees at higher latitudes, according to research by Michael Rampino, a biologist and geologist at New York University.

Rampino has estimated three-quarters of the plant species in the Northern Hemisphere perished.

Stanley Ambrose, an anthropologist at the University of Illinois, suggested in 1998 that Rampino's work might explain a curious bottleneck in human evolution: The blueprints of life for all humans -- DNA -- are remarkably similar given that our species branched off from the rest of the primate family tree a few million years ago.

Ambrose has said early humans were perhaps pushed to the edge of extinction after the Toba eruption -- around the same time folks got serious about art and tool making. Perhaps only a few thousand survived. Humans today would all be descended from these few, and in terms of the genetic code, not a whole lot would change in 74,000 years.

Sitting ducks

Based on the latest evidence, eruptions the size of the giant Yellowstone and Toba events occur at least every 100,000 years, Sparks said, "and it could be as high as every 50,000 years. There are smaller but nevertheless huge eruptions which would have continental to global consequences every 5,000 years or so."

Unlike other threats to mankind -- asteroids, nuclear attacks and global warming to name a few -- there's little to be done about a super volcano.

"While it may in future be possible to deflect asteroids or somehow avoid their impact, even science fiction cannot produce a credible mechanism for averting a super eruption," the new report states. "No strategies can be envisaged for reducing the power of major volcanic eruptions."

The Geological Society of London has issued similar warnings going back to 2000. The scientists this week called for more funding to investigate further the history of super eruptions and their likely effects on the planet and on modern society.

"Sooner or later a super eruption will happen on Earth and this issue also demands serious attention," the report concludes.

Johnny Footstool
01-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I would choose a tornado over a super volcano.

westofyou
01-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I would choose a tornado over a super volcano.

I'll take it over any Volcano, and I can see one if I go stand at the end of my street.

15fan
01-30-2007, 11:58 AM
One of the guys here at work is a geologist by trade. He's told us about the imminent Yellowstone eruption.

His take is that if you hear that it's going to erupt, and you can get yourself to Australia within 12-24 hours, you'll be relatively ok.

Maybe.

Edit: now to answer the original question - as long as I'm not in a trailer park, I'll take the tornado.

RedFanAlways1966
01-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Exactly how I feel. I have owned two houses in the Dayton, OH area... I always buy it with a basement. Two reasons: (1) Makes a nice music studio. (2) Tornadoes!

I have never been in a tornado, but I think about them. I have gone to the basement a few times in my life due to tornado sirens and I am thankful that I have the basement for me and my family. A true midwest'r for ya!

Yachtzee
01-30-2007, 01:42 PM
I've experienced both, although the earthquake was more of a mild tremor compared to the quakes experienced on the west coast. I've been to the basement a few times, and worked as an usher for a John Denver concert as a tornado struck just a mile away.

I still think I'd take the tornado, just because there are places you can go to escape it. If you have a major earthquake, it's bad news all the way around. Even in places where earthquakes are more common they can have a devastating impact. I will never forget watching the effect of the Loma Prieta earthquake on TV. Add to that the potential for tsunamis if you live on the coast, no thank you!

flyer85
01-30-2007, 01:43 PM
in a serrious earthquake OR in close proximity to a massive tornado?all depends on where I am.

If I'm out in a rural area, I'll take the earthequake.

In an urban area, I'll take the tornando.

In a suburban area, I would say it is a tossup.

GoReds
01-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Tornado. Even if it's a massive tornado, I'd have a chance to prepare for it in advance. Earthquakes tend to have far reaching effects whereas tornados - even the F5s - tend to be localized in their destruction. After a tornado, I can most likely still have a job to go to, water access, etc. even if I'm displaced. In a large earthquake, all services may be out for an extended period of time.

Edskin
01-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Whichever one is less likely to knock out the cable...

VR
01-30-2007, 06:37 PM
I grew up in Iowa, and while there were several vicious tornados in and around our town, we were always able to be somewhat prepared....getting to the basement etc.
I was working in San Jose during the '89 quake...it shook me to the core. The freakish nature of no warning is disturbing. The ensuing devastation was hard to fathom.

westofyou
01-30-2007, 06:46 PM
The freakish nature of no warning is disturbing. The ensuing devastation was hard to fathom. When you've been thrown across the room a couple of times in the span of a day or two and you weren't expecting it each time it gets a bit unnerving.

Chip R
01-30-2007, 06:51 PM
I grew up in Iowa, and while there were several vicious tornados in and around our town, we were always able to be somewhat prepared....getting to the basement etc.
I was working in San Jose during the '89 quake...it shook me to the core. The freakish nature of no warning is disturbing. The ensuing devastation was hard to fathom.

Exactly. Tornadoes don't usually disrupt the basic services - water, electricity, transportation - but earthquakes usually do. Remember how those freeways were wasted during the 89 quake? That doesn't happen with tornadoes.

westofyou
01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Exactly. Tornadoes don't usually disrupt the basic services - water, electricity, transportation - but earthquakes usually do. Remember how those freeways were wasted during the 89 quake? That doesn't happen with tornadoes.

Yeah, I heard that.

http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/k20322/images/decrochementsanandeas.jpg

cincinnati chili
01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
I think it would be funny if those guys on the Discovery channel who chase tornadoes started chasing earthquakes.

GAC
01-31-2007, 09:59 AM
I've seen the destruction a tornado can wrought (Xenia, Ohio).

But I'd still choose a tornado.

Dorothy and Toto survived. ;)

GAC
01-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Super Volcano Will Challenge Civilization, Geologists Warn

By Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Senior Writer
posted: 08 March 2005
06:30 am ET

The eruption of a super volcano "sooner or later" will chill the planet and threaten human civilization, British scientists warned Tuesday.

And now the bad news: There's not much anyone can do about it.

Which is it? Global warming or a super volcano that will chill the planet?

Either way - eat, drink, and be merry I guess. Especially when they say there is nothing you can do about it. Then why tell us? Let us be surprised. ;)

TRF
01-31-2007, 12:42 PM
From Wikipedia

The May 3, 1999, Oklahoma Tornado Outbreak was the first stage of a severe weather event that lasted from May 3 to May 6 and brought violent storms to Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, and Tennessee. This article concentrates on the events in Oklahoma. On May 3, 66 tornadoes broke out in Oklahoma and Kansas. The most significant tornado first touched down southwest of Chickasha, Oklahoma, and became an F5 before dissipating over Midwest City, Oklahoma. Forty-eight people perished during the outbreak. This tornadic event ranks in severity with the Palm Sunday tornado outbreak of 1965. With a total of 66 tornadoes, it was the most prolific tornado outbreak in Oklahoma history, although not the deadliest.

TeamCasey
01-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Do you get that much warning for a tornado?

I don't even hear our sirens unless I'm outside.

Chip R
01-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Do you get that much warning for a tornado?

I don't even hear our sirens unless I'm outside.

If you're watching TV or listening to the radio you do.

Edskin
01-31-2007, 05:05 PM
TRF--

I was there, live and in person for the May 3rd 1999 tornadoes. Sadly, I honestly think I can remember that we were playing the D'Backs that night. I had it on satellite and was able to watch and not bother with all the regular TV weather coverage.

Luckily, where I lived in Norman dodged the worst of the damage-- I never even actually saw a tornado. However, they did show one headed our way that was so big that it really wouldn't have mattered where you hid. I believe that particular tornado did a brunt of the damage. 48 people killed in one day from tornados is a huge number. There were some pretty sad stories around here for awhile.

The town of Moore (situated between Norman and OKC off I-35) got DESTROYED. I had a bunch of idiot friends who went "storm chasing" that evening-- they saw some wicked things.

Yachtzee
01-31-2007, 07:10 PM
TRF--

I was there, live and in person for the May 3rd 1999 tornadoes. Sadly, I honestly think I can remember that we were playing the D'Backs that night. I had it on satellite and was able to watch and not bother with all the regular TV weather coverage.

Luckily, where I lived in Norman dodged the worst of the damage-- I never even actually saw a tornado. However, they did show one headed our way that was so big that it really wouldn't have mattered where you hid. I believe that particular tornado did a brunt of the damage. 48 people killed in one day from tornados is a huge number. There were some pretty sad stories around here for awhile.

The town of Moore (situated between Norman and OKC off I-35) got DESTROYED. I had a bunch of idiot friends who went "storm chasing" that evening-- they saw some wicked things.

Edskin, I seem to remember you once posting on the board from your closet or something while under threat of tornadoes. Am I remembering correctly?

Edskin
01-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Yachtzee--

I don't think I actually posted FROM the closet, but I did relay a story of hiding in the closet, while listening to the Reds play the Braves (I turned the TV up). Every so often, I'd take a peak and my wife would yell at me to get back in.

It spawned some laughs, and a whole bunch of "Edskin comes out of the closet" jokes :)

Wish I could find it, but I'm too lazy........