PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone here hate Marty

fewfirstchoice
01-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I have listened to Marty every night game for the last 9 years and about half that number the 10 years before that.I just dont understand all the hatered toward Cincys hall of fame broadcaster.Does he tell it the way it is yes,but i for one dont see that as a problem.Most here think he should never say a negitive thing about a Red,when he does you guys jump him something awful,I dont get it.After being here at this site for the last year or so i say most here are hipacrits(spelling).You guys down about 90% of the Reds roster but when Marty does it hes the devil.Wake up guys Marty is one of the best 3 in the game,and let him do his job and call the game.The guy here that said he would trade Marty for Skip,your a joke man.You must know nothing about the game and the way it should be called.Just wake up and understand that your living during a broadcast legend.Your kids maynot have this to look forward to.Marty some fans(like me) understand what you bring to the game and love it,pay no attention to what a bunch of lame ducks so.the true fans love ya thanks.

Caveat Emperor
01-31-2007, 12:22 AM
This has been discussed many times before (a search of "hate marty" came up with this thread: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39823).

I don't "hate" Marty -- I just wish he'd call the game on the field and leave the editorializing to the columnists. His job is to call the action on the field in an unbiased manner and bring the game to life for the fans. When he takes baggage to the microphone with him, in the form of dislike for certain players and styles of play, he ceases to paint the picture as it truly is and instead paints the picture he wants the fans to see.

When Marty is being a broadcaster, there are few better in the sport. When Marty is passing judgments, I turn down the radio.

BoydsOfSummer
01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Because he insulted me on the air two years ago. :D

roby
01-31-2007, 12:38 AM
I have listened to Marty ever since he started...and i think he's great. I really don't mind the editorializing. After all, he works the banana phone and does other talk shows as well as the Hot Stove League. All of this calls for discussion (sometimes heated). Do I always agree with Marty? No. But i always enjoy hearing his perspective. We should enjoy him while we have him.

CTA513
01-31-2007, 12:59 AM
I have listened to Marty every night game for the last 9 years and about half that number the 10 years before that.I just dont understand all the hatered toward Cincys hall of fame broadcaster.Does he tell it the way it is yes,but i for one dont see that as a problem.Most here think he should never say a negitive thing about a Red,when he does you guys jump him something awful,I dont get it.After being here at this site for the last year or so i say most here are hipacrits(spelling).You guys down about 90% of the Reds roster but when Marty does it hes the devil.Wake up guys Marty is one of the best 3 in the game,and let him do his job and call the game.The guy here that said he would trade Marty for Skip,your a joke man.You must know nothing about the game and the way it should be called.Just wake up and understand that your living during a broadcast legend.Your kids maynot have this to look forward to.Marty some fans(like me) understand what you bring to the game and love it,pay no attention to what a bunch of lame ducks so.the true fans love ya thanks.

:thumbup:

MartyFan
01-31-2007, 01:12 AM
I don't hate him...I have major Man Love for him...

Grounds_Crew
01-31-2007, 01:18 AM
People hate Marty? I dont know how I'd react if he wasn't on the air. I love the guy.

BCubb2003
01-31-2007, 02:02 AM
I don't even mind the editorializing. I think it's kind of interesting that an organization as conservative as the Reds have been has such an outspoken announcer. And from what various people have said, Marty is always gracious to fans when they meet.

The only thing I don't like is when he goes off on his non-baseball tangents. The tomatoes, the golf, the quintessential ladies' man, etc. It's got to be tough to tell a Hall of Famer he needs to take extra batting practice, but most people here would say that Marty is one of the best when he's calling the game, he just needs to cut down on the non-baseball riffing.

Redhook
01-31-2007, 06:15 AM
The only thing I don't like is when he goes off on his non-baseball tangents. The tomatoes, the golf, the quintessential ladies' man, etc.... he just needs to cut down on the non-baseball riffing.
He does ramble on from time to time, but who wouldn't if you had to watch the Reds for the past 10 years? Most years we've been out of it by the All-Star break. It has to be very frustrating and boring to watch this team for every inning coming down the stretch most years. Granted, many of us here would love to have his job, including myseld, but still, it has to be pretty tough to remain optimistic when there is no chance left to win most years. I know he supposed to be somewhat unbiased when announcing and it shouldn't matter what our record is, but that's not who he is and it's not what makes him great. We're fortunate to be able to turn the radio or t.v. off when the Reds stink. He isn't.

icehole3
01-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Marty is the King.

MrCinatit
01-31-2007, 06:56 AM
I sure do not hate Marty. I have enjoyed listening to him for more than 30 years - many of them with Joe - and have a fuller appreciation for him every time I listen to some other announcers.

Z-Fly
01-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Because he insulted me on the air two years ago. :D

Probably because you are a Browns fan :thumbdown :D

RANDY IN INDY
01-31-2007, 08:07 AM
I love to hear Marty call Reds baseball on the radio. It doesn't get any better for me, unless you add Joe Nuxhall.

wheels
01-31-2007, 08:50 AM
I don't hate Marty at all.

I do echo the sentiments of others about his editorializing, however.

I've met him numerous times and he's always been as genuinely fun to talk to as anyone. He's gregarious and engaging.

I think we're all in agreement that, when he's just talking about the events on the field, he has few peers. His walk off calls are the best in the business (thanks to the beauty of XM radio, I can confirm that to myself), and I feel like I can see what he's describing.

Does he need to tone down the rhetoric?

Yes.

Do I "hate" him?

NO.

I'm not even sure I'd want him to change, even though he really gets under my skin sometimes. He feels like family to me, and I'd actually miss his act a little.

He's great, but he's not above reproach.

redsmetz
01-31-2007, 09:02 AM
I think Marty calls a game as good as anybody in the business. I don't even mind his editorial comments about players, the organization, etc - matters pertinent to the game of baseball.

I personally don't care for the occasional (albeit infrequent) cramming down my throat of his personal politics. He has listeners of all political persuasions - nuff said.

And it gets tiresome when he goes off on tangents about things completely unrelated to the game. He gets a little to "buddy buddy" with this "good friend" and that "good friend". That gets a bit boorish, although I understand it blow-out games, it's a bit of filler.

Having said the above, I certainly have not minded certain running jokes or schticks (e.g. the Elvis statue or their tomato plants) and I generally find the emails they get in reporting on someone who slips my mind as a funny, ironic little soap opera throughout the season. That one, though, drives my wife nuts - she thinks it's total B.S.

membengal
01-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Allergies to Aqua Velva?

Unassisted
01-31-2007, 09:08 AM
Here's what I dislike most about Marty's work:

- Too frequently, he talks about things that are irrelevant to baseball or what's happening in the stadium. I listen to the game to find out what's happening at the game, not to hear about tomato plants or Elvis trivia.

- He is relentless with his criticism of certain players and I don't share his taste in whipping-boys.

- Many of his listeners have trouble separating fact from opinion and accept his vitriolic assessments as if they were part of the boxscore. I get the impression from the Banana Phone segments and Hot Stove shows that he likes it that way.

RANDY IN INDY
01-31-2007, 09:31 AM
He is relentless with his criticism of certain players and I don't share his taste in whipping-boys.

And I think, there, lies the problem with a lot of folks.

Johnny Footstool
01-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Encarnacion and Dunn.

M2
01-31-2007, 09:37 AM
I don't think game broadcasters should have have whipping boys.

Krusty
01-31-2007, 09:39 AM
In today's world, you speak your mind and are subject to criticism whether you're right or wrong.

gonelong
01-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Here's what I dislike most about Marty's work:

- Too frequently, he talks about things that are irrelevant to baseball or what's happening in the stadium. I listen to the game to find out what's happening at the game, not to hear about tomato plants or Elvis trivia.

- He is relentless with his criticism of certain players and I don't share his taste in whipping-boys.

- Many of his listeners have trouble separating fact from opinion and accept his vitriolic assessments as if they were part of the boxscore. I get the impression from the Banana Phone segments and Hot Stove shows that he likes it that way.

- The fact that Marty has any whipping boys at all is a problem for me, in addition to the other two you mentioned. IMO its not his place to pick players to ride. Marty cannot be the enforcer for the "Reds way" ... that needs to come from inside the organization.

I am not calling for him to sugarcoat everything and be a homer, just be balanced with all the players. Going out of your way to point only the faults of anyone in pretty much any circumstance is pretty lousy IMO.

IMO it poisons the teams fanbase. It makes the player, the manager that plays him, and the GM that put him on the roster out to be incompetent.

GL

RANDY IN INDY
01-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Doesn't seam that the Reds have a problem with Marty, and ultimately, that's really all that matters.

minus5
01-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Personally, I enjoy Marty. I don't even mind when he talks about his tomato plants. I often agree with his criticisms of certains player and sometimes I don't. I certainly don't consider myself "uninformed" when I do agree and I don't hate him when I don't. Marty has gotten after a lot of players in the past who, in his opinion, have had a lackadaisical approach to the game.

As announcers go, Cincinnati could do a lot worse.

registerthis
01-31-2007, 09:51 AM
I echo CE's sentiments. When the man is truly into the game--say, Dunn's GS winner last year--he has the ability to literally give you chills with his game calling ability. In that respect, there's no doubt that he's one of the best in the game.

But but but...his stubbornness and seeming insistence that his views on the game are beyond reproach (when, frequently, they're flat-out wrong), and his constant criticisms of particular players on the team, grow old very quickly. The non-baseball tangents don't bother me much. It's something he's been doing for years--I remember growing up listening to marty during the mid-late 80s and gttign lots of information about his tomato plants, golf game, and where he had dinner the night before. I know some people are bugged by that, but it doesn't really bother me. But the editorializing on issues where he clearly doesn't have a firm grasp of the issue gets tiring.

RANDY IN INDY
01-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Is it that Marty's views are flat out wrong, or that they don't jive with your own? I know that I don't agree with everything that he says, but I don't think that necessarily makes him wrong.

gonelong
01-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Doesn't seam that the Reds have a problem with Marty, and ultimately, that's really all that matters.

I think we all know that Marty isn't going anywhere and that the vast majority of fans don't want him to.

It doesn't mean that's a good thing as you could say the same thing for fast food. Neither is at all healthy for the consumer IMO. :laugh:

Doesn't seem that the Reds have a problem with Dunn, and ultimately, that's really all that matters. ;)

GL

membengal
01-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Randy---It was pointed out in the other thread, but I will echo it here. He is killing Milton this off-season. I think Milton is trash too. But I don't believe he should be killing Milton in the manner that he is. There are ways to get his point across (M2 absolutely nailed this) without doing what he is doing. The Marty I grew up with (I am 36 now, been listening to Marty on the radio since sneaking a radio under my pillow to listen to the night games beginning in 1975) would not recognize this Marty.

RANDY IN INDY
01-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Doesn't seem that the Reds have a problem with Dunn, and ultimately, that's really all that matters.

I don't know. They keep bringing in hitting coaches with him in mind and still talk about cutting down on those strikeouts that don'e mean a darn thing.;)

gonelong
01-31-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't know. They keep bringing in hitting coaches with him in mind and still talk about cutting down on those strikeouts that don'e mean a darn thing.;)

Marty's running through broadcast partners faster than Dunn is running through hitting coaches. :)

GL

bounty37h
01-31-2007, 10:39 AM
I think the ones who dislike him think they are "in the know", and when he states something that goes against what they feel, he is doing a bad job :) I for one love Marty, and hope he's around another 100 years

registerthis
01-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Is it that Marty's views are flat out wrong, or that they don't jive with your own?

I don't care that he's wrong--I'm wrong sometimes, he's wrong sometimes, we all are. It's the constant overbearing criticisms and refusal to admit when he is wrong that bothers me.

Take Adam Dunn for instance. There's no amount of evidence that could be put forth to convince Marty that Dunn is an exceptional ballplayer. Marty is so convinced that Dunn is a disappointment that he neglects to take into account everything Dunn does right. Dunn is unquestionably the offensive leader of this club, and is going to go down as one of the most potent offensive players the Reds have ever had. Yet all we hear from Marty is what a disappointment he has been. That's problematic.

BRM
01-31-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't think game broadcasters should have have whipping boys.

Agreed. I'd much rather the Red's mouthpiece try to sell fans on the young talent the team has, not ride them mercilessly for making mistakes all young players do. Hype them up, market them, whatever you want to call it.

RANDY IN INDY
01-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Marty's running through broadcast partners faster than Dunn is running through hitting coaches. :)

GL

I don't know. He had one of the longest running tenures with a broadcast partner of anyone I know of.:beerme:

dsmith421
01-31-2007, 10:58 AM
was marty always brutal toward raw young players or is this something of recent vintage? i.e., did he deal with larkin, o'neill, etc. as venomously when they came up as he does with the current crop?

for what it's worth, a lot of out of town fans with xm find him unlistenable due to the tangents. i remember listening to a game with a friend last summer where marty completely failed to call two entire astros at bats (one of which was a home run by aubrey huff) because he was engaged in a conversation about something else. i don't mind it because i'm used to it.

Phhhl
01-31-2007, 11:01 AM
I had Extra Innings all last year heard a lot of broadcasts. Granted, they weren't radio broadcasts, but there were some reputable announcers and I enjoyed some of them very much. Marty is by far the best at calling play by play. He may not be a great story teller, or the most pleasant guy to listen to between pitches. But, when the ball is in play I have never heard a broadcaster who could convey the drama of the game and actually make it seem more amazing than it probably is... except for Marty. That is is what makes him great.

I rarely if ever agree with his opinions about the team or the players. Why would that bother me, or you?

gonelong
01-31-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't know. He had one of the longest running tenures with a broadcast partner of anyone I know of.:beerme:

I attribute all that to Joe. :) Ha Ha.

Marty is working on his 3rd partner in 3 seasons. ;)

GL

Chip R
01-31-2007, 11:04 AM

Well, if the hitting coaches don't help, I'm sure Marty's constant criticism of Dunn will shame him into performing better.

creek14
01-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Cause Marty has the job all of us want.

All but me, that is.

I want to be the clubhouse towel girl.

fearofpopvol1
01-31-2007, 11:11 AM
No hatred what so ever from me. He's the best in the business as far as I'm concerned. Most are going to be sorry when he hangs it up. I know I will be.

Puffy
01-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Cause Marty has the job all of us want.

All but me, that is.

I want to be the clubhouse towel girl.

I'm building a treehouse. Wanna be my treehouse towel girl?

creek14
01-31-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm building a treehouse. Wanna be my treehouse towel girl?

Oh, I am so there. :luvu:

RANDY IN INDY
01-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Well, if the hitting coaches don't help, I'm sure Marty's constant criticism of Dunn will shame him into performing better.

It shouldn't affect Dunn, one way or the other, and I highly doubt that it does.

paintmered
01-31-2007, 02:34 PM
I think some here are incorrectly confusing criticsm with hate.

I don't hate Marty. I think he's one of the best at calling a game. But he's not above criticsm.

Mario-Rijo
01-31-2007, 05:26 PM
I certainly don't hate him, and I rarely have a problem with anything he says. The only thing that bugs me at times is that he comes off a bit pre-madonna like. Granted he has gained the right to have some degree of say about who is in the booth with him and things along those lines. However I miss having 2 guys who go back and forth during the entire game, 1 color and 1 pbp. This 2 PBP guy doing every other 2 innings sometimes stinks. But with him and Thom in there now I think we will get a full game of solid info/game analysis/PBP!

But I would rather have him for all that he brings to the game than the color guy. Of course he is quite colorful himself!

jimbo
01-31-2007, 05:30 PM
H

Sounds like this forum at times. If it is ok for us to do just the same here, why not him through his forum?

westofyou
01-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Sounds like this forum at times. If it is ok for us to do just the same here, why not him through his forum?

Because he has Mr Reds head on his paycheck?

paintmered
01-31-2007, 05:45 PM

If I had the same outward attitude towards my employer, I'd be fired immediately for insubordination.

Roy Tucker
01-31-2007, 05:49 PM
I like Marty a lot. Much of that has to do with his long history with the Reds. The guy calls a great game when he wants to.

But the "whipping boy" comment is spot-on. I can put up with the tomatoes and "good buddy" patter. But I cringe when I hear him go off yet again on Dunn or EE. Its a feeling similar to when I hear someone I like and respect tell an off-color or racist joke.

I get a "don't do that, it's beneath you, you should know better" kind of feeling.

Yachtzee
01-31-2007, 06:01 PM
I like Marty a lot. Much of that has to do with his long history with the Reds. The guy calls a great game when he wants to.

But the "whipping boy" comment is spot-on. I can put up with the tomatoes and "good buddy" patter. But I cringe when I hear him go off yet again on Dunn or EE. Its a feeling similar to when I hear someone I like and respect tell an off-color or racist joke.

I get a "don't do that, it's beneath you, you should know better" kind of feeling.

For the criticisms I've made of Marty on this board, I freely admit I enjoy him when he calls the game. But this is exactly how I feel when he goes on about one of his "whipping boys." If anyone wants to hear a prime example, wait until the Nats come to town and tune in to hear his personal feelings toward Jim Bowden. He can get so wound up about Bowden that I start feeling embarrassed for him.

registerthis
01-31-2007, 06:14 PM
If I had the same outward attitude towards my employer, I'd be fired immediately for insubordination.

Funny you should mention that. There is a partner at my firm who is absolutely impossible to work with. He blows through secretaries, doesn't get along with his co-workers and frustrates his fellow partners by referring business outside of the firm rather than to them.

He also happens to be one of the largest business producers in the firm, and has been here for nearly 20 years. It's funny, when you get tenured and bring in a lot of cash, what you can get away with.

redsfan1966
01-31-2007, 06:36 PM
As has been proven in this thread; "everyone here" does not hate Marty. However, I will concede that a lot more Reds fans than I would think do. I have had this discussion many times with my best friend; who is a big baseball, but not Reds, fan. He feels the same as many here do--that Marty spends too much time on e-mails, chatting up buddies in and out of the booth, and going off on tangents.

However, I have no problem with any of it. I love listening to Marty; whether its about the game at hand or some other subject. In fact; I have stated many times that Reds broadcasts have become "The Marty and (fill-in-the blank) Show" with a game thrown in as a bonus. And I for one, enjoy every episode of it. The only complaint I may have is when Marty moans about the length or pace of a game....thats the only time when I think, "Dude, quit whining, I would love to have your problem."

Always Red
01-31-2007, 06:57 PM
For the criticisms I've made of Marty on this board, I freely admit I enjoy him when he calls the game. But this is exactly how I feel when he goes on about one of his "whipping boys." If anyone wants to hear a prime example, wait until the Nats come to town and tune in to hear his personal feelings toward Jim Bowden. He can get so wound up about Bowden that I start feeling embarrassed for him.

I think you're spot on, Yachtzee.

I love Marty; I was 12 years old when he started here with the Reds, and I would be lost with the "Reds on Radio" without him. He's certainly a HoF'er.

I also cringe when he starts into the personal passive-aggressive attacks, because I feel that should be below him. Can you imagine the professional's professional, Vin Scully, doing this? Nor can I, and I wish Marty would stay above it.

I do value his opinion, but there are less venomous ways of giving it.

TeamCasey
01-31-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't even mind the editorializing. I think it's kind of interesting that an organization as conservative as the Reds have been has such an outspoken announcer. And from what various people have said, Marty is always gracious to fans when they meet.

The only thing I don't like is when he goes off on his non-baseball tangents. The tomatoes, the golf, the quintessential ladies' man, etc. It's got to be tough to tell a Hall of Famer he needs to take extra batting practice, but most people here would say that Marty is one of the best when he's calling the game, he just needs to cut down on the non-baseball riffing.

I like Marty and I agree with this a bit. I wouldn't mind the tomato/golf talk if they kept it between innings. Sometimes I yell at the radio when they go on too long and the game is in play.

You think they hear me? ;)

pedro
01-31-2007, 07:27 PM
To be honest, I was really, really happy when it became possible to listen to Marty & Joe over the internet. I have a lot of fond memories of listening to them when I lived in Ohio, especially during the magical 1990 season. So, I don't hate Marty either, I just think he's slipped a great deal over the last few years and now it's to the point that it's pretty evident to me that he just doesn't give a crap anymore. That being the case I'd prefer it if he just retired and let someone more interested do the job.

Dracodave
01-31-2007, 07:52 PM

Exactly. IMO, I feel as if Marty should be telling both sides of the story. Not just his twisted view. You take Dunn for example list a Negative then a positive.

Dunn's only negative is he strikes out waiting for his pitch while being confused half the time at the plate. On the other hand, a mistake pitch hits the zone, Dunn's likely to crush it out of the park. He's too selective, but he's got monster power.

Thats how you handle players. You don't flat out say "I've all but given up. I don't think he's ever gonna be more than what he is." You tell the fans somethings he does wrong and somethings he does right.

mth123
01-31-2007, 09:00 PM
I like Marty and he calls a great game. XM has given me exposure to other anouncers and it becomes more obvious how good Marty is. The thing that bothers me, and I don't think its been mentioned, is that he seems to hate his job. He comes off that way. He complains about long games, hates the thought of doubleheaders, rain delays, extra innings, and just about any delay in the game. Its ok to dislike those things but he is a real downer sometimes when he's whining about it. Sometimes I get the feeling that Marty would rather be anywhere but where he is.

Maybe he prefers guys who swing at the first pitch. Hmmm?

Ltlabner
01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Exactly. IMO, I feel as if Marty should be telling both sides of the story. Not just his twisted view.

He does get on Dunn for not appearing to hussle when in fact Dunn is producing. However, he also gets on Milton who is generally regarded as a hard worker and doesn't produce anything other than heartburn and neck strains.

He berates Ryan Freel for boneheaded running mistakes. He also praises him for fantastic catches.

He blasts EE for defenseive mistakes, while praising him for being able to consistnatly hit in pressure situations.

He consistnatly praises Harrang, who as we know, is not old. I'm pretty sure I remember him refering to Phillips, who also isn't old, as a "tallented youngster".

He gives Ross, who also isn't old, props for nice hitting last year, while at the same time nearly hemeraging when he drops the ball with a runner bearing down on him.

But yet he nearly melts down when Weathers, who is old, almost routinley walks the 1st batter he faces.

Now how is that a "twisted view" ? If people actually listened to the entirity of what the man says over the course of time, and not just tee off on the parts they don't like, he's increadibly ballenced.

Yachtzee
01-31-2007, 09:35 PM
I like Marty and he calls a great game. XM has given me exposure to other anouncers and it becomes more obvious how good Marty is. The thing that bothers me, and I don't think its been mentioned, is that he seems to hate his job. He comes off that way. He complains about long games, hates the thought of doubleheaders, rain delays, extra innings, and just about any delay in the game. Its ok to dislike those things but he is a real downer sometimes when he's whining about it. Sometimes I get the feeling that Marty would rather be anywhere but where he is.

Wait a sec.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/frick_bios/images/brennaman_marty.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/Racheldratchdebbie.jpg/250px-Racheldratchdebbie.jpg

Yes, there does seem to be a resemblance.

Cedric
01-31-2007, 09:39 PM

I've met the guy twice with Joe in Sarasota on chance. He loves his job and baseball, absolutely no doubt about that one.
Maybe watching the Reds lately has soured him. Hasn't it done the same with Redszone? The guy has passion for the game and it's not been pretty lately. It's hard to lie.

Yachtzee
01-31-2007, 09:44 PM
I've met the guy twice with Joe in Sarasota on chance. He loves his job and baseball, absolutely no doubt about that one.
Maybe watching the Reds lately has soured him. Hasn't it done the same with Redszone? The guy has passion for the game and it's not been pretty lately. It's hard to lie.

I'm sure that he loves his job. But he's always complained about long games, extra innings, rain delays, and double headers, even when the Reds have been doing well.

Cedric
01-31-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm sure that he loves his job. But he's always complained about long games, extra innings, rain delays, and double headers, even when the Reds have been doing well.

Maybe I'm stupid but I hate rain delays and extremely long games also.

Yachtzee
01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Maybe I'm stupid but I hate rain delays and extremely long games also.

But some of the greatest games in baseball history were very long and/or may have included rain delays. Look no further than Game 6 of the 1975 World Series. Shouldn't a radio announcer encourage listeners to stick around rather than make them want to turn the radio off at that point?

Chip R
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM

No one's asking him to lie. If Adam Dunn looks bad trying to make a play or in an at bat, I don't expect him to sugarcoat it. Saying something like, "Dunn didn't judge that ball correctly or got a bad jump on it or was fooled on that pitch" is fine. It's the truth and it's critical without being mean.

It shouldn't matter one bit to Marty whether the team is winning or not. That should not affect his broadcast. Excusing him for that is like excusing a player for loafing because the team is lousy. The final results haven't been good but there have been plenty of outstanding moments over the past several years. And we as fans and Marty should be happy about that.

I think he enjoys the fact that he's involved in the game. I know he loves the fact Thom is working with him and will perhaps be his successor. I think he likes interacting with the media and the fans. But I think calling the actual games is not a source of joy for him anymore. There are moments where he gets joy from it but as a whole, I don't think it's as enjoyable to him as it once was. I don't think he likes the travel. That's understandable. It can be quite a grind for the players, as well as for a man in his mid 60s. But I don't think that's an excuse for his attitude. If the players are so lousy that he's sick of it, he should hang it up. I'm sure he could get a talk show on HOMER or WLW just like that. He wouldn't have to travel and he could opine on the Reds to his heart's content. It'd be like a 3 hour Hot Stove League. Only it wouldn't have to be just about baseball. He knows enough about football and basketball and golf to talk year round about sports. He wouldn't be getting back to the hotel at 1 in the morning anymore. He wouldn't have to worry about red-eyes to the coast any more or rain delays or slow pitchers or doubleheaders. He could see Thom and the grandchildren all the time. It wouldn't be any problem going golfing for a long weekend somewhere. It would be the ideal job for him.

Cedric
01-31-2007, 10:27 PM
No one's asking him to lie. If Adam Dunn looks bad trying to make a play or in an at bat, I don't expect him to sugarcoat it. Saying something like, "Dunn didn't judge that ball correctly or got a bad jump on it or was fooled on that pitch" is fine. It's the truth and it's critical without being mean.

It shouldn't matter one bit to Marty whether the team is winning or not. That should not affect his broadcast. Excusing him for that is like excusing a player for loafing because the team is lousy. The final results haven't been good but there have been plenty of outstanding moments over the past several years. And we as fans and Marty should be happy about that.

I think he enjoys the fact that he's involved in the game. I know he loves the fact Thom is working with him and will perhaps be his successor. I think he likes interacting with the media and the fans. But I think calling the actual games is not a source of joy for him anymore. There are moments where he gets joy from it but as a whole, I don't think it's as enjoyable to him as it once was. I don't think he likes the travel. That's understandable. It can be quite a grind for the players, as well as for a man in his mid 60s. But I don't think that's an excuse for his attitude. If the players are so lousy that he's sick of it, he should hang it up. I'm sure he could get a talk show on HOMER or WLW just like that. He wouldn't have to travel and he could opine on the Reds to his heart's content. It'd be like a 3 hour Hot Stove League. Only it wouldn't have to be just about baseball. He knows enough about football and basketball and golf to talk year round about sports. He wouldn't be getting back to the hotel at 1 in the morning anymore. He wouldn't have to worry about red-eyes to the coast any more or rain delays or slow pitchers or doubleheaders. He could see Thom and the grandchildren all the time. It wouldn't be any problem going golfing for a long weekend somewhere. It would be the ideal job for him.

I listen to every game, I just don't see the overall distaste others do. I think he calls a great game and he's damn good at it.

But I respect others position on the subject, it's just not my own perceptions. I think he's always been a little bit negative about things, I don't think it's new .

cincinnati chili
02-01-2007, 01:12 AM
I've said this before. Marty Brennaman is more responsible for my being a baseball/Reds fan than any baseball player on this earth. Other than my grandparents, he's more responsible for my being a baseball/Reds fan than any human being on this earth. He's one of the last connections to a great organization, when it was still great.

But I do agree that he could tone down his vitriol a notch or two... or 10.