PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Taylor

jagtrader
02-02-2007, 02:19 PM
I know Taylor is ancient history for Reds fans and -- based on some past posts I've read -- I know he wasn't exactly a fan favorite either in Cincinnati or Philadelphia. But I'm treading delicately into these waters anyway ... :)

Taylor, as you may know, played for the independent Lancaster Barnstormers last season. He's been out of affiliated baseball since he was released by the Tigers in April of 2006.

I was hoping Reds fans could share some insights on Taylor based on watching him in 2002 and 2003. Why can't he even get a minor league invitation to spring training these days? I know his career numbers aren't great, particularly his OBP, but neither are a lot of other players who get contract offers. Is there something beyond the numbers?

I was hoping to spark a discussion at my blog: www.barnstormers.wordpress.com. Please visit if you're so inclined.

JaxRed
02-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi Reggie.. nice to hear from you. :)

anthonyb
02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
would you trade Griffey and aprospect to the yankes for Johny Damon and Philip Hughes

tbball10
02-02-2007, 05:08 PM
no i dont want hughes and bailey

reds44
02-02-2007, 05:34 PM
would you trade Griffey and aprospect to the yankes for Johny Damon and Philip Hughes
Why on earth would the Yankees do that?

Z-Fly
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
What is going on?

TOBTTReds
02-06-2007, 06:27 PM

yes, where did this come from though? This is the worst thread of 07.

Dracodave
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM

Damon looks like jesus
throws like mary

Ravenlord
02-08-2007, 02:55 AM
to answer the actual question:

if Taylor was still in his mid-20s he'd have value as a 5th OFer, possibly one of the better ones in the league. and even then, there's literaly hundreds of Taylor clones in AA and AAA.

jagtrader
02-08-2007, 08:54 AM
to answer the actual question:

if Taylor was still in his mid-20s he'd have value as a 5th OFer, possibly one of the better ones in the league. and even then, there's literaly hundreds of Taylor clones in AA and AAA.

Thanks.

What I'm curious about is why Taylor can't get a minor-league contract and offer to spring training. I wonder if he's burned bridges. He told me he hasn't. From my dealings with him, he's a good guy. Maybe it's just a question of age and replaceable talent.

forfreelin04
02-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Reg, you sure that isn't you?

dfs
02-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Maybe it's just a question of age and replaceable talent.

That's exactly right.
What could Taylor do well? He had some power. He could run. He played decent enough centerfield defense. Temper that with the fact that he struck out like Adam Dunn and didn't walk enough to get his OBP above 300.

A guy like that CAN be usefull at the end of the bench, but if you don't have the manager and the GM on your side...that's simply not enough for a career.

The problem for Taylor with the reds was that WMP had to be on the 25 man roster. He had exactly the same skill set and he was five years younger.

And that's Taylor's problem now. He's 30 years old. EVERYBODY can find a 25 year old that can play center, run a little bit and contribute something at the plate. Taylor's "something" that he can contribute on offense just isn't enough to warrent an invite to a major league camp.

Compare and contract with Norris Hopper, Hopper is 3 years younger and his OBP is 30 points higher

Compare and contract with Bubba Crosby, Taylor is younger, but Crosby's expected OPB is 30 points higher and he outslugs Taylor by a a few points.

Neither of those guys is expected to sniff the 25 man roster. Guys like this fall off of trees. It's a matter of who does the manager want around. Taylor got the privilige of playing for Bob Boone. nuff said?