PDA

View Full Version : do you wear french cuffs?

Red in Chicago
02-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Okay, so a few months ago I was in a hurry and bought a couple of nice dress shirts from Marshall Fields (now known as Macy's in Chicago). Anyway, after I got home, I tried them on and realized that one of them had French Cuffs. (Still not sure how that happened). I was too lazy to bring it back and now so much time has past, that I no longer have the receipt. This shirt was like $100, so I hate to have it just collecting dust in my closet.

My question is, do any of you wear shirts with French Cuffs? Can you only wear them with a suit, or can you wear them with a nice tie and sports jacket? It's a really nice shirt and I do have some nice cufflinks from my dad, but I've just never worn this type of thing before.

Can any of you "metro's" help me out :evil:

Red Leader
02-02-2007, 05:09 PM
I must admit, the title of this thread scared me, and I feared that you were going to be banned from RZ after I read the first sentence...

pedro
02-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't often wear dress shirts but I don't see why you couldn't wear the shirt anywhere you wanted if you like it and you find it comfortable.

max venable
02-02-2007, 05:28 PM
???

Red Leader
02-02-2007, 05:29 PM
???

Ummmm, wrong thread?

DoogMinAmo
02-02-2007, 05:35 PM
I wear them all the time.

CrackerJack
02-02-2007, 06:17 PM
WTH are french cuffs? :p:

remdog
02-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Well, in the 'old days' french cuffs were only worn with a suit and never a sport coat. At least that's the way I was taught. After wearing them awhile I took a job that required me to travel a good bit so I dumped them for barrel cuffs so I didn't have to worry about packing cuff links. In the 70's dress wear loosened up a lot so I tried to get away from wearing a coat and tie as much as possible to where today, it's a few times a year thing.

These days I've seen younger men wearing a dress shirt with french cuffs (no links), tails out and jeans. They are young enough to get away with it but on me it'd look pretty silly. :laugh:

Rem

pedro
02-02-2007, 06:25 PM
These days I've seen younger men wearing a dress shirt with french cuffs (no links), tails out and jeans. They are young enough to get away with it but on me it'd look pretty silly. :laugh:

Rem

they travel in packs of 6-10 in manhattan.

George Foster
02-02-2007, 07:08 PM
French cuffs are very "in" right now. I wear them with or without a jacket. I suggest you buy cufflinks that match your watch...either silver or gold colored:thumbup:

Dom Heffner
02-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I wear cufflinks at least twice a week. You can wear them with or without a jacket, or even without dress pants, as someone pointed out.

Just get a set that is as neutral as possible. THey can be expensive, so I like ot have just a few pairs. If you buy one for just a specific outfit, then you are stuck with a pair that you can only wear once or twice.

I like the brushed steel ones- they go with everything.

Dillard's is having a huge sale this weekend- look for the pink ticketed items and you get an additional 40% off the reduced price, if they have them where you live.

RedsBaron
02-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I wear French cuff shirts sometimes. I like them.

deltachi8
02-02-2007, 07:38 PM
i like french toast

Heath
02-02-2007, 07:45 PM
i like french toast

..and i like handcuffs.....

sincerely,

a bengals player......

:bang:

Super_Barry11
02-02-2007, 08:11 PM
My boyfriend will only wear French cuffs and his expensive little cuff links. No regular shirts for him. He's such a snob. :laugh: I'll ask him about your question tonight.

vaticanplum
02-02-2007, 08:59 PM
French cuffs are hott like toast in the Tropic of Cancer. Wear them, dude. Skip it if you're under 5'8" -- it'll break up your body line more than you can afford; if you're short, you want your arms to look as long as possible. But otherwise, yeah.

You of all people should know, though, that they were developed by Napolean (or one of his cohorts?) so that his military men could wipe their runny noses in them and not have to bother with a handkerchief :) But I don't think many men do this anymore.

paintmered
02-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm pretty sure if I showed up to work in French cuffs I'd never hear the end of it from my co-workers. The only time I would ever wear them is if I went to a black-tie event.

Standard button cuff, point collared dress shirts for me please.

Reds4Life
02-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I wear them often.

Get some silk knot links too, they come in many colors to match anything and are inexpensive.

Betterread
02-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Like PaintmeRed said, only with Black tie. Its the traditionally correct choice in that situation. You can't roll up your sleeves with French cuffs.

edabbs44
02-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I've never had French cuffs and probably never will. Barrel cuffs only for me.

Dom Heffner
02-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Get some silk knot links too,

I like these. I once had a salesperson tell me they weren't to be used- that the manufacturer just placed them in the shirt for decorative purposes. Right.

Anyhoo- they are really in right now and they can indeed be worn in all situations, but I prefer them with dress clothes.

Dom Heffner
02-02-2007, 11:46 PM
I did a little google search on french cuffs and found a website which posted opposing viewpoints on the subject. GQ was fine with them but Details gives a thumbs down.

Here's what they said in a Q and A from GQ:

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/shirts/434

Q: Is it okay to wear a French-cuff shirt without wearing a tie? It seems like it would be cool, but since French cuffs seem very formal, I was worried there might be some sort of rule or something.

A: Hasan-i-Sabbah said, “Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.” Aleister Crowley said, “Do what thou wilt is the whole of the law.” And I say if Brad Pitt and Joaquin Phoenix can wear French cuffs without a tie, so can you.

And here's a piece of what they said in the other instance (I prefer the former advice, which is to simply wear what you want):

Someday, when you have a silvery mane, an engorged 401(k), and a 25-year-old mistress on call, you’ll be free to wear French cuffs. You’ll even be entitled to wear them with diamond-encrusted, monogrammed cuff links and blow Cohiba smoke in the faces of the sycophants who work for you. Until then, unless your name is Lagerfeld, Wonka, or Prince Such-and-Such, you do not have license to wear French cuffs—under any circumstances.

You can read the rest here=>

http://men.style.com/details/features/landing?id=content_4124

RFS62
02-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Clean shirt, new shoes
And I don't know where I am goin' to
Silk suit, black tie
I don't need a reason why
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man

Gold watch, diamond ring
I ain't missin' not a single thing
Cufflinks, stick pin
When I step out I'm gonna do you in

Top coat, top hat
'N' I don't worry 'cause my wallet's fat
Black shades, white glove
Lookin' sharp and lookin' for love

Ltlabner
02-03-2007, 08:42 AM
I like these. I once had a salesperson tell me they weren't to be used- that the manufacturer just placed them in the shirt for decorative purposes. Right.

Anyhoo- they are really in right now and they can indeed be worn in all situations, but I prefer them with dress clothes.

Dom, we don't agree on much but it sounds like you are one snappy dresser.

Any tips for looking better, sharper, more sophistomacated, without spending a ton of dough? I've got the money, I just can't spending it on clothes. My normal wardrobe is a sport coat and slacks with tie because I can't fathom spending $100 on a shirt because I know it will be destroyed quickly (I'm in industrial sales so spend a lot of time stomping around plant floors).

Anyway, hope this isn't too far off subeject.

bucksfan
02-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Count me among the uninformed who don't know what french cuffs are. I could probably tell the difference between french cuffs and a pineapple, but as for any clearer distinction I'm lost. I'm sure my wife knows though, and either wishes I'd wear them or is glad I don't (your guess is as good as mine).

Dom Heffner
02-03-2007, 10:12 AM
My normal wardrobe is a sport coat and slacks with tie because I can't fathom spending $100 on a shirt because I know it will be destroyed quickly (I'm in industrial sales so spend a lot of time stomping around plant floors).

Nothing wrong with a sports coat and slacks and tie. I do that sometimes, too. Especially in your job, it sounds like you are doing the right thing.

For me, I would take a value approach. You want nice clothes that you didn't spend a lot of money on, so if something happens to them you aren't out a bunch of money.

I try and not spend too much money on the dress shirts. You can go to Ross or Marshalls and get name brands for $12.99. What I've been doing lately is going to Dillard's and buying their exclusive brand, Daniel Cremieux, on sale. They go for $69.50 retail, but they have 50%-75% sales close to everyday. They are high quality, they hold up under dry cleaning or laundering, and they look great. You can feel it in the material how heavyweight they are. And this way, if they get dirty, you aren't out anything. On average, I pay close to $20 a shirt for some really nice stuff.

Also- you can go to ebay and type in a designer name and your size and you'd be surprised at what comes up. Hugo Boss, Zegna, Armani can all be had very reasonably. Just don't pay full retail for any of these. Zegna shirts can be $300, and while I own several of these (I never paid more than $50) I'm not sure they are worth it. Even if they last forever, the style doesn't, and after a year or so, you get tired of wearing it, no matter how nice it is.

With suits, I check out overstock.com. I've gotten Zegna, Armani, Versace, Hugo Boss on that site for a fraction of what you'd pay full retail. Still, 50% off of something really expensive usually still ends up pretty expensive. Mostly they have other brands on there pretty cheap (sometimes $150 a suit) and I find the quality is pretty good. Stay away from the double breasted suits- they go in and out of style and they can make you look heavy.

If you are set on wearing the jacket/slacks thing, I would check out the jackets on overstock.com as well as ebay. I usually just type in the brand I'm looking for and my size, and you'd be surprised at what people will sell for pretty cheap. I'd do the same for slacks. Your goal is to find designer clothing cheap. And get it new with tags if you can. And if the seller doesn't show a photo of the tag, I'd stay away. It's hard to fake designer clothing when the buyer knows what the real stuff looks like. Take a trip to Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom's to get a handle on what authentic stuff looks like (not to buy unless you love throwing money away- I saw a Brioni shirt at NM on sale for $300 the other day).

The same can be said for shoes. Bruno Magli, Ferragamo, Coach, Boss. They are all there on ebay. Nexttag.com is also good for finding sales on designer shoes and other things, too.

Which brings me to the tie. To me, you can make an average outfit look terrific with the right combo. I like the heavy silk, hand tailored ones. Again, Dillard's Cremieux brand is terrific- they run $69.50 but you can get them on sale. I've stated here before that I love Ermenegildo Zegna's (pronounced Zen-ya) ties. They retail for about $140, but you can get them for half of that if you shop around. Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, and Michael Kors also make good ones. They are all hand tailored and you can just tell the difference when you hold them in your hands compared to the thin flimsy ones. I know you can get them for $7 at Ross, but the tie isn't something I like to skimp on. Trust me on this. Next time you are at a department store, compare their really expensive ones to the cheaper ones. It's a world of difference.

And if you wear a sharp tie under your jacket, it isn't going to get dirty on your job site.

I hope I didn't talk in circles there. I'm readying the house for a Super Bowl party and typing this in between rooms. :)

creek14
02-03-2007, 10:13 AM
French cuffs
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/ikebehar_1871_3631822

creek14
02-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Please tell me NONE of you use these...

http://www.tiesnthings.com.au/estore/images/Clip-On%20Tie%20Ref.jpg

Red in Chicago
02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Please tell me NONE of you use these...

http://www.tiesnthings.com.au/estore/images/Clip-On%20Tie%20Ref.jpg

when i was like 5 or 6 years old, i had a couple of those:laugh:

Dom Heffner
02-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Count me among the uninformed who don't know what french cuffs are.

I like them but you aren't missing out on much. It's basically a tie clip for the end of your shirt sleeves. Instead of buttons, you get a little clip that fastens your sleeves together. They look nice, but it is a little weird when you lay your hand down on a table and you hear a clank when the cufflinks hit. :)

creek14
02-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Nothing wrong with a sports coat and slacks and tie. I do that sometimes, too. Especially in your job, it sounds like you are doing the right thing.

For me, I would take a value approach. You want nice clothes that you didn't spend a lot of money on, so if something happens to them you aren't out a bunch of money.

I try and not spend too much money on the dress shirts. You can go to Ross or Marshalls and get name brands for $12.99. What I've been doing lately is going to Dillard's and buying their exclusive brand, Daniel Cremieux, on sale. They go for $69.50 retail, but they have 50%-75% sales close to everyday. They are high quality, they hold up under dry cleaning or laundering, and they look great. You can feel it in the material how heavyweight they are. And this way, if they get dirty, you aren't out anything. On average, I pay close to $20 a shirt for some really nice stuff.

Also- you can go to ebay and type in a designer name and your size and you'd be surprised at what comes up. Hugo Boss, Zegna, Armani can all be had very reasonably. Just don't pay full retail for any of these. Zegna shirts can be $300, and while I own several of these (I never paid more than $50) I'm not sure they are worth it. Even if they last forever, the style doesn't, and after a year or so, you get tired of wearing it, no matter how nice it is.

With suits, I check out overstock.com. I've gotten Zegna, Armani, Versace, Hugo Boss on that site for a fraction of what you'd pay full retail. Still, 50% off of something really expensive usually still ends up pretty expensive. Mostly they have other brands on there pretty cheap (sometimes $150 a suit) and I find the quality is pretty good. Stay away from the double breasted suits- they go in and out of style and they can make you look heavy.

If you are set on wearing the jacket/slacks thing, I would check out the jackets on overstock.com as well as ebay. I usually just type in the brand I'm looking for and my size, and you'd be surprised at what people will sell for pretty cheap. I'd do the same for slacks. Your goal is to find designer clothing cheap. And get it new with tags if you can. And if the seller doesn't show a photo of the tag, I'd stay away. It's hard to fake designer clothing when the buyer knows what the real stuff looks like. Take a trip to Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom's to get a handle on what authentic stuff looks like (not to buy unless you love throwing money away- I saw a Brioni shirt at NM on sale for $300 the other day).

The same can be said for shoes. Bruno Magli, Ferragamo, Coach, Boss. They are all there on ebay. Nexttag.com is also good for finding sales on designer shoes and other things, too.

Which brings me to the tie. To me, you can make an average outfit look terrific with the right combo. I like the heavy silk, hand tailored ones. Again, Dillard's Cremieux brand is terrific- they run $69.50 but you can get them on sale. I've stated here before that I love Ermenegildo Zegna's (pronounced Zen-ya) ties. They retail for about $140, but you can get them for half of that if you shop around. Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, and Michael Kors also make good ones. They are all hand tailored and you can just tell the difference when you hold them in your hands compared to the thin flimsy ones. I know you can get them for $7 at Ross, but the tie isn't something I like to skimp on. Trust me on this. Next time you are at a department store, compare their really expensive ones to the cheaper ones. It's a world of difference.

And if you wear a sharp tie under your jacket, it isn't going to get dirty on your job site.

I hope I didn't talk in circles there. I'm readying the house for a Super Bowl party and typing this in between rooms. :)

A man who knows how to dress, gets his home ready for a Super Bowl party, and loves the Reds.

I might have to dump Puffy for Dom!! :luvu: :luvu:

Dom Heffner
02-03-2007, 10:28 AM
A man who knows how to dress, gets his home ready for a Super Bowl party, and loves the Reds.

I might have to dump Puffy for Dom!!

I dunno, Creek. I'm not sure if Puffy actually needs clothes. Have you seen him? I read on Wikipedia that Puffy was the Greek word for Adonis before Adonis.

Though I am confident enough in my sexuality to wear pink and lavender, so I have that going for me. :)

vaticanplum
02-03-2007, 03:53 PM

:clap:

I have no idea if I'd even like Dom's wardrobe personally, but this is clearly a man in touch with his inner fashionista.

Sweetstop
02-03-2007, 04:10 PM
A man who wears French cuffs is obviously a man who sees to details. They look terrific, also.

I wish men would start wearing hats again, and no, I don't mean ball caps.

minus5
02-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I call them "Liberty Cuffs" ;)

bucksfan
02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
French cuffs
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/ikebehar_1871_3631822

Aaaahhhh.... thank you! I have indeed worn these before, but all in the context of tuxedo rentals for weddings, etc.

GIK
02-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Allright, Dom, I just purchased three new dress shirts off eBay (less than $20/ea shipped). We'll see how this turns out... :)

15fan
02-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Only wear french cuffs when required by the rented tuxedo.

Big fan of the white dress shirt. It removes a layer of complexity with respect to getting out the door in the morning. Just have to match the pants & tie. Shoes, socks & belt follow from that.

Specifically, I'm fond of the Polo Yarmouth (Now the Classic Fit) 100% cotton. Not the pinpoint oxford - that's too heavy, especially in these parts in the summer. Every 6 months or so we're inevitably on the road and pass a Ralph Lauren outlet store. Can usually find the shirts for about $30 each.

And it has to be a button down collar. If the collar doesn't button down, there's no sense buying it for me because I'm not wearing it.

Dom Heffner
02-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Big fan of the white dress shirt.

I find myself hardly ever wearing white. I'm on a blue kick lately.

Allright, Dom, I just purchased three new dress shirts off eBay (less than $20/ea shipped). We'll see how this turns out...

What kind did you buy?

Red Leader
02-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Just thought I'd add that in a recent Lands End catalog I looked at they had the cuff links that I believe someone mentioned before on here. It was $10 for three pair of the cuff lnks.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/KnotCuffLinksSetof3-70819_151781_-1.html?sid=2775149540436152140&CM_MERCH=SRCH

Personally, I'm not a big fan of them, but to each their own...

M2
02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
“Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.”

Always good to see Jim Carroll lyrics in print.

From what I can tell, dress shirt etiquette is undergoing a major overhaul. I went to a summer wedding and wore an Egyptian cotton shirt with Bermuda shorts and sandals (instructions were to dress like you'll be drinking high-priced liquor on a yacht). Just got a French cuff shirt recently and wore it with suit, no tie first time out (it's a striped shirt and I've developed a major distaste for monochrome ties). I like the cuffs though. One thing I've learned as I've aged is that you never need to make excuses when you're wearing good clothes. A quality shirt, whatever the cuff, looks good on you. It's the lesser stuff that sometimes doesn't work.

GIK
02-05-2007, 12:37 PM
What kind did you buy?

Cremieux, Ralph Lauren and Brooks Bros.

Dom Heffner
02-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Cremieux, Ralph Lauren and Brooks Bros.

My tailor told me she likes Brooks Brothers the best. Let me know as I've never owned one.

I'm in a Cremieux phase right now.

GIK
02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
I don't have a Dillards by me, so I'm taking a flyer on Cremieux based on your recommendation. I'm looking forward to all three. With how often I've used eBay over the past 8-9 years, I'm surprised I've never thought about buying dress shirts on there. Good tip!

vaticanplum
02-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Men are sharing fashion advice on this forum. And listening genuinely, taking action, and thanking each other.

I think I just got dizzy. This thread should be pinned.

Creek et al, back me up here: I do, I admit, frequent this board for more than the baseball. Sometimes, amidst all the crazies and the beaten horses and the farting videos, it gives me faith in humanity.

Reds4Life
02-05-2007, 08:00 PM
My tailor told me she likes Brooks Brothers the best. Let me know as I've never owned one.

I'm in a Cremieux phase right now.

I have quite a few Brooks shirts, the traditionals are cut like tents. I have an athletic build, if I buy the correct size for my neck and shoulders the body of the shirt is gigantic and looks sloppy. The slim fit models are much better, but still are just a bit off for me. Quality is good though, and the non-iron ones do come out of the dryer looking pretty good.

For the retail price on some of the upper end shirts it's actually the same cost, or less, to have some made. I had 5 made at a tailor in downtown Cincy for around $80 each, to this day they are still my favorite shirts.

creek14
02-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Creek et al, back me up here: I do, I admit, frequent this board for more than the baseball. Sometimes, amidst all the crazies and the beaten horses and the farting videos, it gives me faith in humanity.
I'm drawn to this thread like Jerry Narron's relatives to made-up jobs in the Reds organization.

I assume others do this too, but I have little mental images about how people who post on RZ might look. Well not everyone, but the oldtimers, the *about 10 of you*, and active newbies.

This thread has blown a lot of those pictures out of the water.

The only thing most chicks dig more than the long ball is a man who knows how to dress.

Oh and in case you were wondering, this is what I look like.

http://yp.bellsouth.com/sites/beautysupply/images/1a2.jpg

DoogMinAmo
02-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm drawn to this thread like Jerry Narron's relatives to made-up jobs in the Reds organization.

I assume others do this too, but I have little mental images about how people who post on RZ might look. Well not everyone, but the oldtimers, the *about 10 of you*, and active newbies.

The only thing most chicks dig more than the long ball is a man who knows how to dress.

Creek, we have to get your camera a flash. :eek: :)

Busting expectations and preconceptions are what Redszone was founded on, right?

M2
02-05-2007, 09:46 PM

You're pixelated?

creek14
02-05-2007, 09:55 PM
You're pixelated?
Yeah. It's a family DNA thing. Hides wrinkles.

Red in Chicago
02-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Well, after reading this tread, I guess I'll take the shirt out for a test drive on Thursday. I've got a customer meeting and have to fly out to Rochester. I think I'll opt for the silk knots in order to get through security. Until the jacket comes off, you can't tell it's a french cuff. I guess I'll play it by ear if the jacket ever comes off at the meeting ;) Wish me luck:beerme:

Dom,
Next week, let's discuss shoes:laugh:

KronoRed
02-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Dom,
Next week, let's discuss shoes:laugh:

Finally something worth talking about :D

reds44
02-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Depends how kinky I feel.

Aww come on you all were thinking it.

IslandRed
02-05-2007, 11:59 PM
I have quite a few Brooks shirts, the traditionals are cut like tents. I have an athletic build, if I buy the correct size for my neck and shoulders the body of the shirt is gigantic and looks sloppy. The slim fit models are much better, but still are just a bit off for me.

It *is* hard to find dress shirts that fit just right. Back in the '90s when I did more traveling for work, I had a very hard time finding shirts that fit up top without being too big around the waist; even the trim-fit shirts were too big for my taste. I ended up just getting my shirts tailored. Didn't cost all that much and they fit great... at least until the Over 30 With A Desk Job Syndrome kicked in. I wouldn't be surprised if a high-end store like Brooks made the shirts with the assumption they would be altered.

Nowadays, I'm afraid creek and vatican would not be impressed at all with how I dress. :laugh: I've had a home office for 14 years and I own enough snappy dress clothes for a three-day business trip and that's it.

RedsBaron
02-06-2007, 11:23 AM

Sometimes she does wear an Adam Dunn jersey to the games, at least in colder weather. I believe that photo was taken of Creek at a game last July.

Red Leader
02-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I've seen creek in person. That's not creek.

creek is crazy sexy. That chick looks airbrushed.

paintmered
02-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I've seen creek in person. That's not creek.

creek is crazy sexy. That chick looks airbrushed.

Very true.

Dom Heffner
02-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Dom,
Next week, let's discuss shoes

Oh man- that would be great. Coach, Bruno Magli....it's going to be a real hoot.

And someone needs to bring up that shoe horns are one of the most underrated inventions ever. Saves me 30 seconds a day (which I deposit in a account that when I reach age 65 will yield me enough time to retire on).

I have quite a few Brooks shirts, the traditionals are cut like tents. I have an athletic build, if I buy the correct size for my neck and shoulders the body of the shirt is gigantic and looks sloppy. The slim fit models are much better, but still are just a bit off for me. Quality is good though, and the non-iron ones do come out of the dryer looking pretty good.

I'll have to just buy one and see, I guess. I read an article in GQ or Details this past month talking about how a dress shirt should fit. It's tough to buy anything off the rack to fit perfectly, and it's a good idea to get even those altered, but frankly, I don't want to spend money tailoring dress shirts when I can take that money and get more ties lol....

I think my problem is that I workout. I'm about 6'2", 230 lbs- I'm a big guy.

On any of the Italian designers I have to buy at least one size bigger than usual or else I can't get my arms through the darned sleeve holes. I have two Armani suits that are an adventure getting on because I have to yank and pull and stretch them to the point that if I'm running late, they are ruled out for that day. They look great once they are on, but man, one day I'm going to rip them in two. The Italians make great suits, yes, but Europeans are built much differently than we are.

With the US designers I have to buy a big jacket and then have to get the waist trimmed down 3 or 4 inches. The atheletic fit might be the way to go but I can never find them.

Creek, we have to get your camera a flash.

That photo is a funny thing. When I take my reading glasses off, it appears in focus.

Wowza.

I think the same holds true for women. Women in business suits can be wicked hot.

Not many dress up here in Florida, though, because it's so hot.

I wear a suit everyday because I own the business and I meet clients on a regular basis. It also keep me on my best behavior when I'm dressed up.

Yachtzee
02-06-2007, 11:49 AM
I'll have to revisit this thread after I graduate and get a job. Right now my dress wardrobe consists of a standard blue suit (Jones New York), an Oscar de la Renta I got from the Mens Warehouse that I hate (I'll never shop MW again. The tailor there was awful), and a couple of blazers.

Red Leader
02-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I think the same holds true for women. Women in business suits can be wicked hot.

Ain't that the truth. Nothing is sexier, well few things at least, are sexier than a woman in a power suit.

SunDeck
02-06-2007, 12:20 PM
French cuffs are hott like toast in the Tropic of Cancer. Wear them, dude. Skip it if you're under 5'8" -- it'll break up your body line more than you can afford; if you're short, you want your arms to look as long as possible. But otherwise, yeah.

Oh, the body line. Wouldn't want to break that up.
I'm so glad to be 5'9".

Having said that, and being a guy who is 6'3" from the waist up and 5'1" from the waist down...jackets and french cuffs do accentuate my torso/leg disparity.

That's about as metro as I get- Dom rules!- but my gut reaction to french cuffs is that there is a place for them. At work, if I encounter a sales rep who is wearing them it just sends up a red flag. But if I meet a lawyer or an executive who is wearing them I am probably more impressed by it.

Socially, I would not expect to see them anywhere I hang out, but I'll leave the judging on that front to the folks who actually have social lives. And my look is probably more quasi-professorial, anyway, which requires frayed cuffs, elbow patches and sensible shoes, and which I have done for so long that a suit makes be feel uncomfortable. Nearly always a sport jacket and plain front pants (another short leg thing, vaticanplum can explain I'll bet) for me.

This is a great thread, but could someone please point me to the farting video? I haven't kept up...

Dom Heffner
02-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Having said that, and being a guy who is 6'3" from the waist up and 5'1" from the waist down...jackets and french cuffs do accentuate my torso/leg disparity.

Dude- you're 11' 4""????

That's about as metro as I get- Dom rules!- but my gut reaction to french cuffs is that there is a place for them.

I'm not sure if I like being metro or not. It can make me a little uncomfortable at times. I hit myself for thinking, "I'll bet that tie would go great with my gray suit..." :)

The metro thing has definitely turned around my fingernails and overall appearance. Skin care, lotion....it's all a part of my life.

Of course, I shave my head everyday, so what time I save in fixing my hair is spent on sunscreen and lotion.

pedro
02-06-2007, 12:49 PM
why yes, yes I do.

(double click if you want to be see some dancing)

SunDeck
02-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Dude- you're 11' 4""????

No- it's a description my brother gave me. He said I look like a guy in a funhouse mirror; I can sit in my car and my head hits the ceiling, but I have to put the seat up to reach the peddles.

vaticanplum
02-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Oh, the body line. Wouldn't want to break that up.
I'm so glad to be 5'9".

That's about as metro as I get- Dom rules!- but my gut reaction to french cuffs is that there is a place for them. At work, if I encounter a sales rep who is wearing them it just sends up a red flag. But if I meet a lawyer or an executive who is wearing them I am probably more impressed by it.

Socially, I would not expect to see them anywhere I hang out, but I'll leave the judging on that front to the folks who actually have social lives. And my look is probably more quasi-professorial, anyway, which requires frayed cuffs, elbow patches and sensible shoes, and which I have done for so long that a suit makes be feel uncomfortable. Nearly always a sport jacket and plain front pants (another short leg thing, vaticanplum can explain I'll bet) for me.

I think you have more of a grasp on clothes than you claim. It makes me very happy that you know all this about yourself. If you are speaking of plain-front pants as opposed to pleated, may I just say that while I generally hold that the number one rule in fashion is to pick clothes that you like and which suit your shape, no man should ever, ever, ever wear pleated pants. It improves the appearance of exactly no one. It's just: dude, where did your legs go? Do you have a butt? May I remind you that a dress would serve the same purpose and probably be more comfortable?

I am the opposite of you, I am short-torsoed (shortsoed). When I was a kid I looked like a head with four limbs, just arms and legs everywhere. Reason #637 I am happy to be a girl is because dresses of any length will be ok for long limbs and generally hide the shortsoedness. Reason #638 is because I suspect I would want to wear dresses even if I were a guy, which would have caused significantly greater damage in my early years. (Ironically, though, there were about four years of my childhood when I refused to wear anything but overalls from the boys' department. I probably had not realized I am shortsoed.)

SunDeck
02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
When I was a kid I looked like a head with four limbs, just arms and legs everywhere.

My four year old just drew a great picture of you, then. :eek:

pedro
02-06-2007, 10:15 PM
When I was a kid I looked like a head with four limbs, just arms and legs everywhere.

they used to call me "daddy long legs" in gym class. (and I'm only 5'9")

MrCinatit
02-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Huh. I was completely wrong about French cuffs, then.
I thought they were kinda like the cuffs at the end of Jerry's puffy shirt.

pedro
02-07-2007, 12:49 PM
In other news they're now called "freedom cuffs"

GIK
02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks again for the tip on Cremieux, Dom. I've had a chance to wear all of the shirts I bought and really like it the best. It's incredibly light and well made.

Dom Heffner
02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks again for the tip on Cremieux, Dom. I've had a chance to wear all of the shirts I bought and really like it the best. It's incredibly light and well made.

If you like really, really, well made shirts- try the Cremieix Henry or Stanley style, or even better, the signature collection.

I bought a signature collection, 2 ply ultra soft cotton (130s) white dress shirt the other day that normally retailed for $130 @ 75% off. I can only find one mall that carries that style, but keep lookng on ebay. They have stuff rolling in because people buy it on sale and try to make a few bucks. Just don't buy my size lol...

Actually- any dress shirt in the signature collection is going to be simply awesome and last forever. Very heavyweight stitching and classic.

I bought a few of the Cremieux suits at the latest sale, and they are are wonderful. I've spent more on lesser suits, that's for sure.