PDA

View Full Version : David Lee Roth and Van Halen Reunite

paintmered
02-02-2007, 11:40 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2007/02/02/its-official-roth-to-rejoin-van-halen/

It's Official! Roth to Rejoin Van Halen

Break out your spandex pants, start practicing your karate kicks; David Lee Roth is officially returning as the front man for Van Halen.

Founding band member Eddie Van Halen made the first official announcement to TMZ, saying "It feels like a whole new beginning to be back with Dave and to be playing with my brother and my son. We look forward to going on tour."

Roth, an original member of Van Halen, quit the group in 1985. He rejoined the band briefly in 1996, only to quit again a few months later. Roth hasn't performed live with the group since 1984.

As TMZ first reported, Eddie's son, Wolfgang Van Halen, will be playing bass with the supergroup on their upcoming tour. According to the band's rep, Janie Liszewski, the tour will cover most major U.S. cities, including L.A. and New York.

bomarl1969
02-02-2007, 11:45 PM
:rockband: YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! I love Van Halen!

Yachtzee
02-02-2007, 11:49 PM
So what's the over/under on months before it blows up again?

Shame they couldn't patch things up with Michael Anthony to reunite the old lineup.

deltachi8
02-03-2007, 12:38 AM

3 weeks.

Dom Heffner
02-03-2007, 01:03 AM
You know, I'd like to get excited about this, but being since I'm now 37 and these guys are pushing 50, I dunno.

A little too late. I agreed with Grace Slick when she said nobidy wants to see old people performing rock and roll on stage.

cincinnati chili
02-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Shame they couldn't patch things up with Michael Anthony to reunite the old lineup.

Well, I guess. It probably won't be too tough to teach Wolfgang those bass parts. Repeating eighth notes on the same string for 64 consecutive bars.

Razor Shines
02-03-2007, 01:39 AM

I bet they don't make it to the first show.

Yachtzee
02-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Well, I guess. It probably won't be too tough to teach Wolfgang those bass parts. Repeating eighth notes on the same string for 64 consecutive bars.

True, but then again, having a 15-year-old kid on stage with a bunch of "oldies" might give it more of a "Third Rock from the Sun" feel instead of a "Van Halen" feel.

02-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I thought they were called "Eddie Van Halen and the Eddie Van Halen Band"', at least by toothless guys.:)

NJReds
02-03-2007, 10:31 AM
You know, I'd like to get excited about this, but being since I'm now 37 and these guys are pushing 50, I dunno.

A little too late. I agreed with Grace Slick when she said nobidy wants to see old people performing rock and roll on stage.

The old timers are still filling arenas because a majority of new acts aren't very good musicians.

Blimpie
02-03-2007, 12:00 PM

A little too late. I agreed with Grace Slick when she said nobidy wants to see old people performing rock and roll on stage.The Rolling Stones grossed $ 150.6 million dollars during 2006. They accomplished all of that without having to create any abominations like, "We built this city....we built this city...on Rock...and...Roll!"

I would say that Grace Slick should not be the one deciding who is/who is not relavent in today's music.

Blimpie
02-03-2007, 12:01 PM

Shame they couldn't patch things up with Michael Anthony to reunite the old lineup.What are the odds on Wolfie ending up in rehab before his Dad?

KoryMac5
02-03-2007, 12:09 PM
What are the odds on Wolfie ending up in rehab before his Dad?

If he was out on the road without Dad I would say very good. The nice thing about having your son on tour with you is that you can keep a closer eye on him and he can keep an eye on you.

Yachtzee
02-03-2007, 12:19 PM
The old timers are still filling arenas because a majority of new acts aren't very good musicians.

Isn't that the complaint of every generation? I'd say there are plenty of newer acts that are fantastic musicians and songwriters. As much as I liked Van Halen back in the day, if you gave me a choice of a new album from a DLR-led Van Halen or the latest from The Arcade Fire, I'd pick The Arcade Fire. But for a one-off show, the nostalgia of Van Halen might get me to buy a ticket.

Old timers like the Stones continue to fill arenas because there are still a lot of Baby Boomers and aging Gen-Xers like myself out there who grew up with them, enjoy their music and want to shell out $100 a ticket. Van Halen will probably do quite well because they were hugely popular with DLR and they haven't played live together since the '80s. On the other hand, for every Stones or Van Halen tour, you have acts like Journey and Quiet Riot slogging it out as nostalgia acts at local clubs and dinner theaters. Sure, some people still like the music of these lesser acts. My wife hinted longingly about the Kip Winger show at House of Blues the day after my birthday (Winger? blech). But I suspect others are more intrigued for either its novelty or for that VH1 "What Ever Happened To..." curiosity.

Blimpie
02-03-2007, 12:20 PM
If he was out on the road without Dad I would say very good. The nice thing about having your son on tour with you is that you can keep a closer eye on him and he can keep an eye on you.I would agree with you if Wolfie's Dad was a paragon of virtue. However, Eddie will have his own demons to contend with while on tour...

I would be more worried about him enabling Wolfie to that lifestyle--rather than imparting his sage-like wisdom. Wisdom, like, choosing cigarettes over a 20+ year marriage. The very same cigarettes that caused him to have half of his cancerous tongue removed and endure months of frustrating speech therapy. That kind of wisdom?

Unassisted
02-03-2007, 12:59 PM
On the other hand, for every Stones or Van Halen tour, you have acts like Journey and Quiet Riot slogging it out as nostalgia acts at local clubs and dinner theaters.

Sad, but so very true. Foreigner, minus Lou Gramm, was the band for the holiday party at my wife's employer last year.

While there is probably still plenty of outrageousness left in his tank, I can't imagine that DLR will be able to pull off even half of the vocal or athletic moves that he could when he was half of his present age.

I went to see VH on their 2005 tour with Sammy and found Eddie to be a kind of pathetic, tragic figure who still plays the guitar like no one else, but who was completely unintelligible on the microphone. Thus, I'm on the fence about whether I'd go see this incarnation of VH.

Ltlabner
02-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I would be more worried about him enabling Wolfie to that lifestyle--rather than imparting his sage-like wisdom. Wisdom, like, choosing cigarettes over a 20+ year marriage. The very same cigarettes that caused him to have half of his cancerous tongue removed and endure months of frustrating speech therapy. That kind of wisdom?

Huummm tough call...

http://www.cigarettes-smoke.net/_image/lm_filter.gif

or

http://www.celebrity-pictures-archive.com/pics/v/valerie-bertinelli/valerie-bertinelli-005.jpg

Smokes or Val.....dang. I still can't make up my mind. That wacky Eddie. I'd say the smart money has to go with the smokes. Good call Ed! :oops:

Matt700wlw
02-03-2007, 01:37 PM
May have to check this out....assuming they come to Cincy...and assuming it lasts...

I'm assuming a lot, I know :D

Matt700wlw
02-03-2007, 01:39 PM

ALL rock stars like their smokes.....I guess it's part of the deal. It seems to be at least.

Eddie liked his vodka a lot too.....not sure if he still does...

Dom Heffner
02-03-2007, 01:49 PM

I doubt very much that young people are flocking to see the Stones in lieu of Fall Out Boy or any other young band for that matter. The Stones are appealing to an entirely different audience.

The Rolling Stones grossed $ 150.6 million dollars during 2006. They accomplished all of that without having to create any abominations like, "We built this city....we built this city...on Rock...and...Roll!"

The Stones have a lot of abominations in their catalog. One Hit (to the body)????? Harlem Shuffle??? Fool to Cry???

Granted, they aren't the corporate shame that We Built This City Was, but I think Grace made a valid point.

And as bad a song as it was, it was a huge #1 hit for the band. Somebody liked it. When was the Stones last #1?

RedFanAlways1966
02-03-2007, 03:02 PM

I thought I had heard that Eddie is now 54-years-old... and I believe Alex is about 3 years older than Eddie. I got the new edition of Guitar World a few weeks ago and Eddie was on the cover. His picture kind of freaked me out. We all get older and some deal with it better than others. I guess I just have trouble getting the picture of the younger Eddie out of my mind. Makes ya wonder if David Lee Roth will have hair implants on his much larger forehead?

Yachtzee
02-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Granted, they aren't the corporate shame that We Built This City Was, but I think Grace made a valid point.

And as bad a song as it was, it was a huge #1 hit for the band. Somebody liked it. When was the Stones last #1?

I'm surprised Grace Slick and her compatriots weren't sent to The Hague and brought up on charges of Human Rights Violations. It's not just that that song is bad. It's really bad and it has a tendency to get stuck in your ear for the rest of the day. Of course, I forget where we saw it, but my brother and I always refer to it by a title we saw in a spoof magazine like National Lampoon or something. To us dorks, the song will always be "We Built This Country...on the Principles of the Constitution."

Blimpie
02-03-2007, 03:25 PM
The difference is that The Rolling Stones can have a sellout tour WITHOUT having to promote a new album. Hell, they may sell even more tickets if they agreed to just play their hits.

On the other hand, Starship can reunite tomorrow and call themselves Jefferson Starship or Jefferson Airplane or whatever...it ain't gonna matter. Unless they go on the state fair circuit, nobody is gonna want to pay to see them perform White Rabbit in 2007.

Matt700wlw
02-03-2007, 03:39 PM
1 pill makes you tired, and 1 pill wakes you up
The ones that you give your children
Are chewable tylenol...

Don't ask Alice....she can't talk

Heath
02-03-2007, 03:58 PM
I thought Grace Slick was LONG GONE from Jefferson Airplane/Starship when they sang "We Built This City".

Carly Simon did a concert on the Queen Mary 2. That was a hoot.

Heath
02-03-2007, 03:58 PM
The difference is that The Rolling Stones can have a sellout tour WITHOUT having to promote a new album. Hell, they may sell even more tickets if they agreed to just play their hits.

On the other hand, Starship can reunite tomorrow and call themselves Jefferson Starship or Jefferson Airplane or whatever...it ain't gonna matter. Unless they go on the state fair circuit, nobody is gonna want to pay to see them perform White Rabbit in 2007.

Now if they sang Don't You Want Somebody to Love.........

:D

KronoRed
02-03-2007, 04:04 PM
I thought Grace Slick was LONG GONE from Jefferson Airplane/Starship when they sang "We Built This City".

Sadly no.

Worst song of all time? could be :help:

NJReds
02-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Isn't that the complaint of every generation? I'd say there are plenty of newer acts that are fantastic musicians and songwriters. As much as I liked Van Halen back in the day, if you gave me a choice of a new album from a DLR-led Van Halen or the latest from The Arcade Fire, I'd pick The Arcade Fire. But for a one-off show, the nostalgia of Van Halen might get me to buy a ticket.

Old timers like the Stones continue to fill arenas because there are still a lot of Baby Boomers and aging Gen-Xers like myself out there who grew up with them, enjoy their music and want to shell out $100 a ticket. Van Halen will probably do quite well because they were hugely popular with DLR and they haven't played live together since the '80s. On the other hand, for every Stones or Van Halen tour, you have acts like Journey and Quiet Riot slogging it out as nostalgia acts at local clubs and dinner theaters. Sure, some people still like the music of these lesser acts. My wife hinted longingly about the Kip Winger show at House of Blues the day after my birthday (Winger? blech). But I suspect others are more intrigued for either its novelty or for that VH1 "What Ever Happened To..." curiosity.

Top 10 tours 2006:
Rolling Stones $437 million
Madonna $195 million
Bon Jovi ($131 million)
U2 (wrapping up Vertigo tour with $96 million)
Tim McGraw/Faith Hill on their Soul2Soul II tour ($88.8 million),
Cirque du Soleil's Delirium ($78.5 million)
Barbra Streisand ($76 million)
Kenny Chesney ($66 million)
Dave Matthews Band ($58 million)
Aerosmith ($58 million), with the latter touring for much of the year with Motley Crue.

Not a lot of new blood here...there's something said for putting on a good show, as well. I doubt all this money is out of the pockets of baby boomers (although a majority of it is). A lot of acts today are MTV pretty pop divas that are chewed up and spit out by the industry. Unfortunatly, it's very difficult for talented musicians to make it big these days unless they have 'the right look'.

Joseph
02-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Top 10 tours 2006:
Madonna $195 million
Bon Jovi ($131 million)
Aerosmith ($58 million), with the latter touring for much of the year with Motley Crue.

Not a lot of new blood here...there's something said for putting on a good show, as well. I doubt all this money is out of the pockets of baby boomers (although a majority of it is). A lot of acts today are MTV pretty pop divas that are chewed up and spit out by the industry. Unfortunatly, it's very difficult for talented musicians to make it big these days unless they have 'the right look'.

Just remember though, I now make something like 3x what I made 12 years ago when I was a twenty year old 'kid' who just wanted to see Metallica and get laid, so now I can afford to see bands that I grew up with [like Metallica or the Stones or Aerosmith] whereas the kids want to see AFI and Fall Out Boy yet they can't afford to in many cases. I used to have to choose which show I went to back in the day [Gn'R or Motley?] now I just go to all the ones I want to see.

creek14
02-03-2007, 04:19 PM
...these guys are pushing 50...old people
:nono: :nono:

Darlin', 50 is the new 30.

Dom Heffner
02-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Darlin', 50 is the new 30.

I'm so happy I am wearing my grape flavored socks today.

I was just..um..quoting Grace Slick.

I guess you are leaving me for Puffy, huh? :)

vaticanplum
02-03-2007, 04:57 PM
ALL rock stars like their smokes.....I guess it's part of the deal. It seems to be at least.

Not so much, not anymore. I mean a ton of musicians still smoke, but I've seen a lot of them give it up as they get older and a handful never even start. Particularly west coast dudes (no idea where Van Halen lives myself).

I approve this reunion by the way.

Yachtzee
02-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Top 10 tours 2006:
Madonna $195 million
Bon Jovi ($131 million)

But do you actually expect to see people under the age of 30 at those shows? When I was in high school I think some of the top grossing concert tours were the Monkees Reunion Tour and the Pink Floyd Reunion tour. Not exactly new blood at the time. When I worked at Blossom Music Center (outdoor concert venue between Cleveland and Akron) in the early '90s, the biggest shows were always Jimmy Buffet, Elton John, the Beach Boys, and the Moody Blues and most of the crowd were people my parents' age. The other big acts were groups like New Kids On the Block, popular with pre-teen girls and their poor parents who agreed to take them.

The only shows that sold well with people my age were the Lollapalooza shows. Kids in their late teens-early 20s just can't afford to shell out $60 for a concert ticket at the huge arena. It's much more economical (and a much better show IMO) to see your favorite band as they hit the club circuit. I saw most of my favorite bands at Peabody's Down Under or the Odeon in Cleveland for $12 a ticket, max. If a band I liked was putting on a huge concert, it was usually at the convocation center on one of the local college campuses with ticket prices much lower than what you would pay to see a show at the Richfield Coliseum (where the Cleveland Cavs used to play).

For a band to consistently sell out large arenas at the ticket prices they charge for those shows now, you have to just consistently churn out records long enough for your fan base to graduate college and start making enough money to afford to go to your shows.

redsfanmia
02-03-2007, 09:47 PM

I have been to 50+ arena shows in my life and by far the worst concert I have ever seen was The Rolling Stones circa 1995. It turned my mild interest in the stones music to one of disdain.

Blimpie
02-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I have been to 50+ arena shows in my life and by far the worst concert I have ever seen was The Rolling Stones circa 1995. It turned my mild interest in the stones music to one of disdain.Even a bad Stones show can't be all that bad, can it?

pedro
02-04-2007, 12:02 AM
What are you talking about Dom? Fool to Cry is a great song.

Dom Heffner
02-04-2007, 03:10 AM
What are you talking about Dom? Fool to Cry is a great song.

I even saw somewhere where it was picked as the worst Stones song ever.

To each his own, I guess.

Caveat Emperor
02-04-2007, 04:25 AM

The old timers are filling arenas because they came from an era where rock music wasn't fractured and split into different genres.

There are lots of great acts out now, but they're forced to compete for airtime with hip-hop, r&b, and the various crossover acts that dominate the Top 40 stations. Plus, with all the different genre stations (country, oldies, classic rock, modern rock, alternative, hip hop, top 40) you really don't get a lot of bands that EVERYONE listens to anymore. That era died with the advent of the alt-rock movement in the 90s.

With the move to satellite and internet distribution, it'll get even smaller and smaller. You'll have more bands out playing shows at small to mid-sized venues, but less of the "arena rock" acts that bring in people from across the demographics.

I can't say that bothers me too much. The only band I go to see that gets a huge crowd is DMB -- most of the other stuff I prefer to see at more intimate locations.

NJReds
02-04-2007, 09:01 AM
The old timers are filling arenas because they came from an era where rock music wasn't fractured and split into different genres.

There are lots of great acts out now, but they're forced to compete for airtime with hip-hop, r&b, and the various crossover acts that dominate the Top 40 stations. Plus, with all the different genre stations (country, oldies, classic rock, modern rock, alternative, hip hop, top 40) you really don't get a lot of bands that EVERYONE listens to anymore. That era died with the advent of the alt-rock movement in the 90s.

With the move to satellite and internet distribution, it'll get even smaller and smaller. You'll have more bands out playing shows at small to mid-sized venues, but less of the "arena rock" acts that bring in people from across the demographics.

I can't say that bothers me too much. The only band I go to see that gets a huge crowd is DMB -- most of the other stuff I prefer to see at more intimate locations.

I should have clarified...I meant the 'popular' acts promoted by the record companies; it's just not that great and doesn't have much staying power. You can see great new music, but mostly at the local club scene.

KittyDuran
02-04-2007, 11:03 AM
:sleep: ;)

KronoRed
02-04-2007, 01:11 PM
:sleep: ;)

2nd

pedro
02-04-2007, 04:05 PM
I even saw somewhere where it was picked as the worst Stones song ever.

To each his own, I guess.

I see the list of which you speak.

Personally, I think 90% of what they put out post Tattoo You makes "fool to Cry" sound like like Mozart, but what can I say, that's just me, I love sentimental mid seventies shlock rock.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/BradL/the_10_worst_rolling_stones_songs

1 "Fool To Cry"
The Rolling Stones
Black and Blue (1976)

Was there ever any doubt this would come in at number one? It's soppy. It's sentimental. It's ludicrous. It features the most disgusting string synthesizer arrangement outside of a Styx album. And, worst of all, it stinks up every Stones compilation you'll find. A pox on it.

pedro
02-04-2007, 04:06 PM
As for Van Halen, I've always thought that Yankee Rose kicked ass on anything they ever did with Sammy Hagar and that's a sad commentary on all of them, Roth included.

Dom Heffner
02-04-2007, 06:14 PM
It features the most disgusting string synthesizer arrangement outside of a Styx album.

Man, Styx is really hated. I would say that Mr. Roboto might be the worst song of all time. Disco Duck was bad, Kung Fu Fighting was worse, but Mr. Roboto was absolutely horrendous.

Joseph
02-04-2007, 06:16 PM
As for Van Halen, I've always thought that Yankee Rose kicked ass on anything they ever did with Sammy Hagar and that's a sad commentary on all of them, Roth included.

Steve Vai > Eddie Van Halen

redsfan1966
02-04-2007, 06:30 PM
I apologize if I am repeating anything in an earlier post...I didnt read them all...but this move doesnt surprise me at all...David Lee got his head handed to him when he tried replacing Howard Stern and Eddie realized that VH can never recapture its glory without DLR...great move for that one last cash grab.

Of course this move is perfect for VH 1

Yachtzee
02-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Man, Styx is really hated. I would say that Mr. Roboto might be the worst song of all time. Disco Duck was bad, Kung Fu Fighting was worse, but Mr. Roboto was absolutely horrendous.

Hey, I like Mr. Roboto and Kung Fu Fighting for the pure cheesy novelty. If you want over-the-top synth cheese, look no further than The Final Countdown by Europe.

RedFanAlways1966
02-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Man, Styx is really hated.

Yep. But Blue Collar Man is a classic IMO. Just a great song.

Blimpie
02-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Yep. But Blue Collar Man is a classic IMO. Just a great song.Renegade ain't too shabby either...

RedFanAlways1966
02-04-2007, 09:18 PM

Perhaps. Man, I'd pay top dollar to see them duel it out like Vai did against "Ralph Macchio" in Crossroads!!

However, would Steve Vai been able to do his work w/out Roth (probably not b/c DLR would be a nobody without Eddie) and his solo work without an Eddie VH opening the door wide open for the guitar-virtuoso-type to become an accepted thing? There have been hundreds of great guitarists before Eddie VH, but not too many were able to do the "guitar antics" within a song and be publicly accepted. Steve Vai kind of made a name by playing with Frank Zappa at a young age, but became more of a household name in the rock community when DLR had him in his first post-VH group. Without Eddie there is no Roth solo band; therefore, would Vai have been as well known w/out Eddie? I don't know, but Eddie's style definitely opened the door for many other axe slingers. Eddie may not be the greatest, but the timing for his thing hit the right note and with perfect tone.

If only we could see those two duel it out! Or make it a huge WCW type of thing with Eddie, Steve, Yngwie Malmsteen, Kirk Hammet, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Steve Morse, etc, etc, etc....

RedFanAlways1966
02-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Renegade ain't too shabby either...

Oh yeah, Blimpie... as Lynyrd Skynryd sang, "You Got That Right"!

pedro
02-05-2007, 05:08 AM

Maybe technically. I know who's rocked me more though.

And his name ain't Steve

NJReds
02-05-2007, 10:07 AM

The worst part about Mr. Roboto is that Dennis DeYoung was actually convinced that this was pure genius. It's funny listening to the other band members talk about that album now...it's like they wish they could strike it from the record.

minus5
02-05-2007, 10:51 AM
From the Associated Press:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070205/LIFE03/702050323/-1/CINCI

David Lee Roth to tour with Van Halen
Entertainment notebook
BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
The rumors were true. Van Halen will reunite with original singer David Lee Roth for a summer tour of North America that will feature Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son, Wolfgang, on the drums instead of Michael Anthony.

"I am very excited to get back to the core of what made Van Halen," guitarist Van Halen said in a statement posted Friday on the band's Web site announcing a 40 city tour. No specific dates have been named.

It will be the first time that Roth performs live with the band since 1984, when he was replaced by Sammy Hagar. A brief reunion with Roth in 1996 resulted in two new songs but no tour.

Good to see the AP doing their homework :rolleyes:

westofyou
02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
The worst part about Mr. Roboto is that Dennis DeYoung was actually convinced that this was pure genius. It's funny listening to the other band members talk about that album now...it's like they wish they could strike it from the record.

Easily the best song from the 80's about Robots that uses Japanese to convey the angst created in a world of technology gone awry.

RichRed
02-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Words fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9qcggRo18

RedFanAlways1966
02-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Saw this picture on another site and found it to be funny... :)

Johnny Footstool
02-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Words fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9qcggRo18

"Jump" was never much of a rocker -- too synth-driven. It was the beginning of the end of VH.

I'm not a fan of bluegrass, but I do like seeing real people play real instruments in lieu of electronics. And the change-of-pace is nice.

What disturbs me is David Lee Roth's seemingly involuntary smile reflex. It looks like he's having a facial seizure. One that hurts a lot.

Dom Heffner
02-06-2007, 12:04 PM

My ribs hurt when Tommy Shaw talks about it. You can tell he's embarassed. It was bad enough that he had to stumble through Lady and Come Sail Away, but a concept album with Japanese robots? It's like living Spinal Tap.

westofyou
02-06-2007, 12:24 PM
My ribs hurt when Tommy Shaw talks about it. You can tell he's embarassed. It was bad enough that he had to stumble through Lady and Come Sail Away, but a concept album with Japanese robots? It's like living Spinal Tap.

Yet he continues to tour in a band called "Styx" without DeYoung, that coupled with the Damn Yankees making fun of those songs and then tearing it up with one of their forgettable cockrock anthems makes it even funnier

Yachtzee
02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Yet he continues to tour in a band called "Styx" without DeYoung, that coupled with the Damn Yankees making fun of those songs and then tearing it up with one of their forgettable cockrock anthems makes it even funnier

Oh and don't forget his wonderful solo career. Wasn't his biggest solo success the theme song to "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins"? I suspect those "embarrassing" songs are making him more money than Damn Yankees or his solo career ever did.

Johnny Footstool
02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh and don't forget his wonderful solo career. Wasn't his biggest solo success the theme song to "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins"? I suspect those "embarrassing" songs are making him more money than Damn Yankees or his solo career ever did.

"Girls with Guns" was a pretty cool jam.

Dom Heffner
02-06-2007, 01:19 PM

They cash the checks the songs bring them yet they really don't like that type of music.

"High Enough" is a distant cousin of "Babe," isn't it?

"Girls with Guns" was a pretty cool jam.

With no help from Google:

Stand tall
Don't think small
Don't put your back against the wall
Shoot straight - Can't wait
to firrrrrrrreeee awayyyyyyyy!

??????????

Am I close?

camisadelgolf
02-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I think the tour is going to last just long enough for David Lee Roth to get his coke money and run.

Johnny Footstool
02-06-2007, 02:09 PM
With no help from Google:

Stand tall
Don't think small
Shoot straight - Can't wait
to firrrrrrrreeee awayyyyyyyy!

??????????

Am I close?

Quite impressive! That's the closing chorus. The "regular" chorus is slightly different.

From my own addled memory:

I'll tell you now
And I won't tell you twice
Where, when, and how
I got some bad advice

I never thought I could handle a girl with guns
But let me tell you, you can bet that I'm not the only one....

Stand tall
Don't think small
Shoot straight
Don't wait
Aim for the heart and fire away

RichRed
02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
"Jump" was never much of a rocker -- too synth-driven. It was the beginning of the end of VH.

I'm not a fan of bluegrass, but I do like seeing real people play real instruments in lieu of electronics. And the change-of-pace is nice.

What disturbs me is David Lee Roth's seemingly involuntary smile reflex. It looks like he's having a facial seizure. One that hurts a lot.

Yeah, I actually like some bluegrass but that performance is just too weird. He looks like Stepford/Partridge Roth.

RedFanAlways1966
02-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Imagine that...?!?! :laugh:

VAN HALEN - Tour Postponement Details Surface

Pollstar recently reported that the much-hyped VAN HALEN reunion tour with DAVID LEE ROTH has already fallen through and is now "officially postponed indefinitely."

The following update from MelodicRock.com: "There are outlets reporting the tour is off for good, while an "insider" or two are stating that it is still on. The truth lies somewhere between. As previously reported, the tour as it was set to go, is off for now and promoter Live Nation have confirmed this. However, there is extreme confidence that the tour will still go ahead during 2007.

There is also speculation that a push to have Michael Anthony return to the line-up is behind the new problem. That might be a point of contention (I'm sure everyone would love to see Mike return), however it is not the issue behind the current headlines.

The line-up remains the one publicized in recent weeks."

That lineup would be Roth, guitarist Eddie Van Halen, his brother Alex on drums and his son Wolfgang on bass.

minus5
02-22-2007, 03:26 PM
If I were Dave I would have pushed for Michael Anthony as well. The VH brothers are d**ks.

deltachi8
02-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Note to Mikey: Stay in the Other Half with Sam, much fewer headaches.

I originally said, I believe 3 weeks for this tour to crumble. I thought I was being nice too.

Chip R
03-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Perhaps this could be a reason why the reunion tour has been postponed. BTW, nice picture of Eddie. :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/ap_en_mu/people_van_halen;_ylt=ArGZd1MlKBj7E384wfWMCPOuGL8C

Blimpie
03-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Wolfie must be beaming with pride...

Matt700wlw
03-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Eddie looks......scary.

Chip R
08-09-2007, 12:46 PM
The on-again off again tour is on again. And David Lee Roth is apparantly going to be touring with them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070809/ap_en_mu/van_halen_tour;_ylt=AhOgv_4Xu9oPuYfsC0jd_z1Y24cA

Degenerate39
08-09-2007, 02:13 PM
The on-again off again tour is on again. And David Lee Roth is apparantly going to be touring with them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070809/ap_en_mu/van_halen_tour;_ylt=AhOgv_4Xu9oPuYfsC0jd_z1Y24cA

Eddie's son is joining the group that's pretty cool. I read about this the other day.

KronoRed
08-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Right out of rehab and on to the road, that will work out.

Blimpie
08-09-2007, 04:26 PM
This is the weirdest version of "Take Your Kid to Work Day" that I have seen in quite a while...

Yachtzee
08-09-2007, 07:03 PM
This is the weirdest version of "Take Your Kid to Work Day" that I have seen in quite a while...

What's the over/under on when the first "Take Your Kid to Rehab" day will be?

Unassisted
10-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Check out this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx_GjyXCs4) of a Van Halen concert from this week, featuring a nightmarishly dissonant version of "Jump." Word is that the pre-recorded synth parts were accidentally played back at a 48k bitrate instead of 44.1k. The result is a mess.

"Eddie tries to transpose on the fly and match the wildly (messed) up keyboards but the great thing there is the difference in pitch is non-musical - about 1.5 semitones sharp. So there’s no frets he can choose to fix the problem!"

Be sure to stick around for the end, where Dave's on-stage antics are oddly reminiscent of the "Star Wars kid." :laugh:

KronoRed
10-19-2007, 05:52 PM
That was hilarious

Blimpie
10-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Hmmmm, let's see how many vintage rock and roll front men DLR can rip off in a six minute clip:

1) Ozzy Ozbourne (catatonic presence holding microphone)
2) Roger Daltrey (twirling antics during the solo--if you could call it a solo)
3) Mick Jagger (hopping around on giant inflatable phallic symbol)

If that is as mobile as David Lee Roth will be on this tour, somebody should go ahead and get him a chair to sit on. Truly sad.

Johnny Footstool
10-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Hmmmm, let's see how many vintage rock and roll front men DLR can rip off in a six minute clip:

1) Ozzy Ozbourne (catatonic presence holding microphone)
2) Roger Daltrey (twirling antics during the solo--if you could call it a solo)
3) Mick Jagger (hopping around on giant inflatable phallic symbol)

If that is as mobile as David Lee Roth will be on this tour, somebody should go ahead and get him a chair to sit on. Truly sad.

To be fair, Diamond Dave has done his act ever since Van Halen has been able to afford giant, inflatable microphones.

Blimpie
10-23-2007, 12:16 AM
To be fair, Diamond Dave has done his act ever since Van Halen has been able to afford giant, inflatable microphones.Which was after Mick Jagger first broke out his inflatable "junk" on the Rolling Stones 1975 tour, if I am not mistaken.

cincinnati chili
10-23-2007, 03:29 AM
I was writing a 20-page paper back in February when the Dennis DeYoung/Tommy Shaw discussion went down.

Dennis DeYoung is the patron saint of wussiness.

Johnny Footstool
10-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Which was after Mick Jagger first broke out his inflatable "junk" on the Rolling Stones 1975 tour, if I am not mistaken.

True, but riding an inflatable microphone is rocktastic, while riding an inflatable "thing" is fairly creepy when you think about it.

Blimpie
10-23-2007, 04:22 PM
True, but riding an inflatable microphone is rocktastic, while riding an inflatable "thing" is fairly creepy when you think about it.No argument there....:D

Unassisted
01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Here's a little piece of history for Roth-era VH fans: Diamond Dave's vocal track for Runnin' With the Devil minus the rest of the music. (http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/DG/runnin_with%20the_devil.mp3)

BoydsOfSummer
01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Haha...sounds like mid-8o's vintage Ric Flair. Wooh!

CrackerJack
01-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah but Jagger and Ozzy can't do the splits

That Jump video's fairly awful and I've seen it, but I never liked that song a bit any ways. How cheesey of them to make it an encore.