PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football HOF Enshrinees Announced

Heath
02-03-2007, 04:27 PM
As a Browns' fan, it's about time for Gene Hickerson. I'm sorry he has to go with that Irvin guy.

Head of the class
Irvin, Thomas among 6 inducted into Pro Football HOF

MIAMI (AP) -- Michael Irvin was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday despite a troubled past, though voters denied entry to retired NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

The former Dallas Cowboys receiver, who won three Super Bowls in the 1990s, got in on his third try.

Irvin pleaded no contest in 1996 to felony cocaine possession. Four years later, he was arrested on drug possession charges, but they were later dropped.

The 40 Hall voters were criticized by two of Irvin's former teammates, Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman, for previously bypassing the wideout, who retired in 1999.

They didn't ignore him this time.

Tagliabue was eliminated in the first round of voting.

Also voted in were running back Thurman Thomas, offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, defensive back Roger Wehrli and two nominees of the veterans' committee -- tight end Charlie Sanders and guard Gene Hickerson.

Inductions will be Aug. 4-5 in Canton, Ohio. The Steelers and Saints will play in the annual Hall of Fame game.

Irvin finished his career with 750 receptions for 11,904 yards and 65 touchdowns. He was selected to five straight Pro Bowls and picked for the NFL's all-decade team of the 1990s.

Thomas was the league's most valuable player in 1991, when he gained more than 2,000 yards from scrimmage. His 13 seasons with 50-plus receptions, nine of them in a row, are exceeded only by Jerry Rice. He joins Jim Kelly, who made the Hall of Fame in 2002, from the Buffalo teams that won four straight AFC titles before losing in each Super Bowl.

"Wow. I don't know what to say," Thomas said. "It's just a beautiful day for my wife, for my kids, the Buffalo Bills organization, the fans of Buffalo. Like I've always said, we didn't win a Super Bowl, but this is my Super Bowl gift to the Buffalo Bills fans."

Matthews, the only player in his first year of eligibility, spent 19 seasons with the Oilers/Titans franchise, playing more games than any positional player in NFL history when he retired in 2001. He did it as a guard, tackle and center. Matthews never missed a game because of injury.

"I never had to grow up, could play like I was a kid, played till I was 40, and now you are telling me I am in the Hall of Fame," he said by phone from Texas. "I hadn't been nervous about it until I saw my family and they were ready to melt down."

Wehrli was a five-time All-Pro cornerback who played 14 seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals, starting as a rookie in 1969. He once intercepted three passes by Roger Staubach in a win over Dallas and made the league's 1970s all-decade squad.

"Something like this puts a cap on it. It's a dream come true," Wehrli said, speaking by phone from St. Louis.

Sanders spent a decade with the Lions and was one of the few outstanding receivers among tight ends on his way to seven Pro Bowls.

"This has been a journey," he said. "The last few days have been very nerve-racking, not only for me but my family and, I know, a lot of my friends. This is a blessing."

Hickerson played 15 seasons for the Browns as the lead blocker for three Hall of Famers -- Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Bobby Mitchell -- and has been eligible for 29 years.

"I am honored to be joining such an elite group of individuals and to be remembered as one of the best linemen of all time," Hickerson said.

Tagliabue's legacy was strong, including labor peace throughout his 18 seasons as commissioner; enhancing diversity in coaching and front-office hirings; television deals that now bring the NFL more than $25 billion in revenues; expansion to 32 teams; establishment of the NFL Network; and a rising global presence.

But it wasn't enough to sway the voters this year.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-03-2007, 04:44 PM
As a Cowboys fan, I'm glad to see The Playmaker get in. "Troubled past" and all, it's about what you do on the field and he was great on it.

creek14
02-03-2007, 06:13 PM
it's about what you do on the field
Tell that to Pete Rose. ;) ;)

HumnHilghtFreel
02-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Tell that to Pete Rose. ;) ;)

The baseball HOF and football HOF use different criteria for the voting. Football is supposedly all about on-field performance, while baseball uses character, etc. in their balloting.

Yachtzee
02-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Roger Wehrli gets in, yet Ken "The Rattler" Riley gets no love. Inconceivable.

Matt700wlw
02-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Irivn's a loud-mouthed idiot.

He was one hell of a football player, though.

UKFlounder
02-03-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm surprised Tagliabue didn't get it, though "if it's about what you do on the field" I guess he really has no chance :)

savafan
02-03-2007, 09:23 PM
What Michael Irvin did on the field...didn't he once lead the league in something that had to do with the white lines...? ;)

Danny Serafini
02-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Is it just me, or did they really screw it up this year? What more does Derrick Thomas have to do to get in the hall? Gary Zimmerman should've been in ahead of most of this class. And Ray Guy should've gone in years ago, but there's this stupid bias against kickers and punters.

captainmorgan07
02-04-2007, 12:15 AM
as a cowboy fan im glad ot see him get the hall of fame is suppossed to be about what u did on the field not off

Heath
02-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Is it just me, or did they really screw it up this year? What more does Derrick Thomas have to do to get in the hall? Gary Zimmerman should've been in ahead of most of this class. And Ray Guy should've gone in years ago, but there's this stupid bias against kickers and punters.

Gary Zimmerman couldn't sniff Gene Hickerson's jock.

If it wasn't for Hickerson, there would be no Zimmerman.

Tony Cloninger
02-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Football HOF voting seems to be.....you have to be in Super Bowls and win...or always make the Pro Bowl.

I am glad they let someone who is probably forgotten by most people in Roger Wehrli...........Yet someone like Lemar Parrish, who went to about 8 Pro-Bowls.....was considered a Top 5 CB and a great kick returner...basically a smaller version of Prime Time Sanders...is never even considered?

This guy returned punts, INT, fumbles...for TD's and was a great cover man.

At least consider the guy.

Ken Riley was also a great corner....yet never made the Pro Bowl for some reason. He got even less pub when he played.

Danny Serafini
02-04-2007, 01:51 AM

If it wasn't for Hickerson, there would be no Zimmerman.

Please tell me that post was a joke. There was some sarcasm in there, right?

Yachtzee
02-04-2007, 03:30 AM
Football HOF voting seems to be.....you have to be in Super Bowls and win...or always make the Pro Bowl.

I am glad they let someone who is probably forgotten by most people in Roger Wehrli...........Yet someone like Lemar Parrish, who went to about 8 Pro-Bowls.....was considered a Top 5 CB and a great kick returner...basically a smaller version of Prime Time Sanders...is never even considered?

This guy returned punts, INT, fumbles...for TD's and was a great cover man.

At least consider the guy.

Ken Riley was also a great corner....yet never made the Pro Bowl for some reason. He got even less pub when he played.

Ken Riley is #5 all-time for interceptions.

creek14
02-04-2007, 06:24 AM
The baseball HOF and football HOF use different criteria for the voting. Football is supposedly all about on-field performance, while baseball uses character, etc. in their balloting.
It was a joke.

I've been sick lately and haven't been making many. Guess I'm rusty.

RedsBaron
02-04-2007, 07:20 AM

I would hope he wouldn't want to.;)

RedsBaron
02-04-2007, 07:27 AM

If the NFL used the same criteria as MLB, Paul Hornung would not have made Pro Football's Hall of Fame. Hornung was suspended for one season for betting on NFL games (as was Alex Karras). Hornung was then allowed to resume his career and was eventually inducted into the HOF. Pete Rose did not receive similar treatment by MLB for a similar offense.

Matt700wlw
02-04-2007, 09:13 AM

Throw Ken Anderson on that list, too....

Gallen5862
02-04-2007, 11:40 AM
The Hall of famers know he should be in. Art Monk retired as the all time reception leader and 3 Super Bowl Rings. No Wr in the Hall of fame has more catches then him. He is still Sixth on the all time Catches list.

Dom Heffner
02-04-2007, 11:55 AM

The Super Bowl bias is terrible. I'm starting to hate the game, personally. Sportscasters turn these things into dramas that have nothing to do with anything. If the Colts lose, It will be becasue Manning choked. if the Bears lose, it will be because of their defense, not Grossman.

There are 22 players on that field and Manning is going to take the fall if they lose today.

Only in bizarro world could Tom Brady be considered the greatest quarterback of all time. He isn't even the best in the NFL right now.

Heath
02-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Please tell me that post was a joke. There was some sarcasm in there, right?

Nope.

Hickerson, who followed Paul Brown's offense to the "T" made the "Pulling Guard" famous. He blocked for 9 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. He was the glue of the offensive line with Dick Schafrath in the 60's. He was voted to 9 Pro Bowls.

Gary Zimmerman was a good offensive lineman, don't get me wrong. But Zimmerman's feats aren't in the same category as Gene Hickerson.

In fact, Jerry Kramer should be in before Gary Zimmerman. The Packers aren't the Packers without Kramer blocking for Jim Taylor or Paul Hornung.

The guys who made the position should be enshrined before the "contemporaries". Which irks me why Irvin was chosen over Art Monk.

westofyou
02-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Charlie Sanders

Great player

Yachtzee
02-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Nope.

Hickerson, who followed Paul Brown's offense to the "T" made the "Pulling Guard" famous. He blocked for 9 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. He was the glue of the offensive line with Dick Schafrath in the 60's. He was voted to 9 Pro Bowls.

Gary Zimmerman was a good offensive lineman, don't get me wrong. But Zimmerman's feats aren't in the same category as Gene Hickerson.

In fact, Jerry Kramer should be in before Gary Zimmerman. The Packers aren't the Packers without Kramer blocking for Jim Taylor or Paul Hornung.

The guys who made the position should be enshrined before the "contemporaries". Which irks me why Irvin was chosen over Art Monk.

I think part of the problem is that the voters are somewhat blinded by "dynasty" teams. Being a member of the Steelers in the 1970s pretty much punches your HOF ticket. Not that there weren't a lot of good players on those teams. But it seems to make voters blind to contemporaries and those who came before. There's also a bias towards QBs and RBs, to the detriment of those who make what they do possible.

I think it would be nice if the voters put a quiet moratorium on voting for players at certain positions or played on certain teams, just to encourage them to look deeper at the accomplishments of those who didn't play at a star position or for a dynasty team. I'm not saying keep anyone out permanently just because they played a certain position or for a certain team, just delay some inductions in some overrepresented areas in favor of those who have been unfairly overlooked for a long time.

Heath
02-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Great player

Possibly the first ever recieveing TE threat with John Mackey.

Quietest HOF career ever. Played on some BAD Lions teams.

westofyou
02-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Possibly the first ever recieveing TE threat with John Mackey.

Quietest HOF career ever. Played on some BAD Lions teams.

Yep.. and I got to meet a whole team of them too.

Heath
02-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Yep.. and I got to meet a whole team of them too.

I'm afraid there's been a lot of bad Lions teams. Mostly from about 1957 and on.

I think they need to move back to Tiger Stadium.

Yachtzee
02-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm afraid there's been a lot of bad Lions teams. Mostly from about 1957 and on.

I think they need to move back to Tiger Stadium.

Maybe they need to move back to Portsmouth

Heath
02-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Maybe they need to move back to Portsmouth

Maybe they need to be renamed the Spartans.

BTW - The Dayton Triangles won the Super Bowl last night. Well, at least according to this guy.

How to get from Dayton to Indianapolis
by way of Brooklyn, Boston, New York,
Dallas, Hershey and Baltimore (http://www.daytontriangles.com/toindianapolis.htm)

RichRed
02-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Michael Irvin gets in the HOF before Art Monk? The Pro Football Hall of Fame is officially a farce.

Roy Tucker
02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Nice to see Hickerson get in.

Loved to hear Pat Summerall intone "Hickerson and Wooten at the guards, Schafrath and Clark at the tackles, and Morrow at center".