PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Advertising

Caveat Emperor
02-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Every year, USA Today has viewers rank the best ads in the Super Bowl -- the chart of the winning ads is here: http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/admeter/2007-02-04-ad-meter-chart_x.htm

Personally, I thought most of the ads this past year were crap. Most of the Bud ads (especially the "Crab" one that scored the highest) seemed just a little off this year.

My two favorite ads didn't make the Top 10: the Robert Goulet "Emerald Nuts" ad, which won in my mind for running with such an amazingly random concept and making it work, and the Coca-Cola "Grand Theft Auto" good deeds commercial, which is a total riot if you've ever played any of the video games. I also REALLY liked the K-Fed ad with him rapping into a security camera at a fast food joint.

So, what were the favorites around here?

Budweiser wins with crabby crawlers as Anheuser-Busch takes seven of top 10
By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY

Anheuser-Busch continued its Super Bowl ad supremacy with a commercial that pure and simple made folks smile.

For a record ninth-consecutive year, the beer giant won USA TODAY'S exclusive Ad Meter real-time consumer focus group ranking of Super Bowl commercials.

The winning ad featured a group of computer-generated crabs on the beach bowing down at the altar of an ice chest filled with Budweiser. The red chest with two Buds for antennae looks like a giant crab — which a crab army worships as the sun sets behind it. That's the kind of gentle, visual humor folks apparently wanted most this year.

Folks such as Doyle Wind. The retired bread salesman from Houston says he particularly objects to ads with violence in light of the Iraq war. "My next door neighbor has three sons over there right now," he says. "The way things are going now, we don't need to be reminded of all that. There's too much sadness now in the country. I guess that's why I enjoy the funny (ads) more."

The crab ad aired in the fourth quarter, becoming the first Ad Meter winner from that late in the game. A-B also walked off with four of the top five-rated commercials. And seven of the top 10.

The crustaceans' visual humor has another advantage after Sunday for the international brewer. Explains Bob Lachky, A-B creative chief, at A-B: 'We try to find something that will play around the world."

This year, the usual array of humorous Super Bowl commercials had to fight off surprising competition from ads that made folks feel warm and fuzzy. But in the end, viewers wanted to laugh.

"Humor gets me over anything — not stupid humor," says Kathleen Stobie, a Silver Spring, Md., resident who is a coordinator with her county government.

By contrast, slapstick violence sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Panelists loved the Bud Light ad about a guy who takes a Rock, Paper, Scissors game too literally — and tosses a real rock to win a Bud Light. It finished third.

But they had little patience with another Bud Light ad featuring people who replace fist pumps with a series of face slaps.

With U.S. beer sales growth flat — particularly domestic brews — A-B once again went all out to win the Super Bowl of advertising. It broadcast nine commercials over five minutes of multimillion-dollar air time.

But the unusually high ranking of a Doritos commercial about a Doritos-eating guy who is distracted by a cute girl — the winner of an online contest for amateur videos — may shake up the future of Super Bowl advertising.

It's the first time a major marketer entrusted a Super Bowl spot fetching up to $2.6 million for 30 seconds of air time to a novice.

The fourth-place spot was filmed for $12 — the price of the four bags of Doritos. Compare that with those it beat, several special effects-laden pro spots costing upwards of $1 million to make.

This also was the first year in which a majority of marketers clearly felt compelled to air commercials aimed at driving consumer to their websites. With ad rates at record levels and consumer eyes increasingly straying from the TV screen to the computer screen, marketers are looking to have their messages have traction beyond the big game. website names were attached to virtually every ad.

If ever there was a Super Bowl whose messages were directly aimed at the twentysomething and under crowd, this was it. That's why a Coke ad had the feel of a video game. It's why Chevrolet put young girls in a car in Manhattan that is swarmed by bare-chested guys. And it's why Nationwide chose Kevin Federline, Britney Spear's estranged hubby.

Call it the Anything For Attention Bowl. Many marketers took the low road for that attention. Snickers had two men kissing over a candy bar. A-B filled most of 30 seconds with face-slapping. And GoDaddy.com offered-up a sanitized version of a wet T-shirt contest.

It's as if some marketers momentarily forgot how turned-off Super Bowl viewers were three years ago by the attention-getting gambit of Janet Jackson's half-time wardrobe malfunction that bared one breast.

Apparently, just about anything that's edgy — if not bizarre — is getting Madison Avenue's green light, again.

But once again, automakers couldn't buy a break. Despite six ads from three car companies, none made the viewers' top 10.

Augustina Foglietta, an accountant from Houston, summed up the feeling of many about car commercials. "Hate 'em," she says. "I think they're boring, and there's just too many of 'em."

GAC
02-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Most were pretty ho-hum IMO. Liked the Bud Light one though with the two gorillas in the zoo.

RedFanAlways1966
02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Definitely ho-hum... however, I want to "work" in godaddy.com's marketing department. :devil:

MrCinatit
02-05-2007, 09:13 AM
It's getting to the point where I am going to be watching the game and taking my breaks during the commercials during the Super Bowl.

cinredsfan2000
02-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Most i thought were boring but the k-fed was kinda funny . other than that nothing really stood out to me .But i'll second the i want to work in the godaddy.com in the marketing department.:beerme:

Roy Tucker
02-05-2007, 09:42 AM
I officially am a grumpy old man. I found very few SB commercials entertaining and too many violent or just un-funny.

Get off my lawn.

RANDY IN INDY
02-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Bunch of "commercial people" might be looking for jobs this morning. For Super Bowl commercials, last night's collection was pretty bad.

RedsFan75
02-05-2007, 10:26 AM
I liked the Coca Cola GTA themed one... The Crab one wasn't as bad as some of the others...

Really disliked the Snickers one, and the face slapping one, and... wait... I don't have enough time to type out all the ones I disliked...

Eric in IL
02-05-2007, 10:45 AM
I was surprised that Coke aired that "Grand Theft Auto" spot. It's been used as a commercial for several months in movie theaters.

I did like the Kevin Federline ad- probably more so if there wasn't so much publicity about it and I knew everything about it before it aired.

I wish careerbuilder.com would go back to using the monkeys in the office. I couldn't believe they showed three different spots with the office workers in the woods- none of which was funny.

Donder
02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I wish careerbuilder.com would go back to using the monkeys in the office. I couldn't believe they showed three different spots with the office workers in the woods- none of which was funny.

I agree with you, except that "He's ready for you now, you need to take off your shirt" line was pretty good.

Yachtzee
02-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm with my boss on this one. If I had the choice between watching a great Super Bowl with bad commercials or a bad Super Bowl with great commercials, I'll take the great Super Bowl. While I enjoy a clever ad like anyone else, a compelling game on the field is what keeps me tuned in.

oneupper
02-05-2007, 11:26 AM
I thought the Coke "inside the machine" one was kind of cute.

paintmered
02-05-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm with my boss on this one. If I had the choice between watching a great Super Bowl with bad commercials or a bad Super Bowl with great commercials, I'll take the great Super Bowl. While I enjoy a clever ad like anyone else, a compelling game on the field is what keeps me tuned in.

Unfortunately, I don't think we got either last night (unless you are a Colts fan).

RichRed
02-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Not really a commercial, but the best one was Letterman and Oprah snuggling on the couch watching the game.

Next best was Goulet.

durl
02-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I thought the commercials were generally lame this year, too. I didn't hate the Bud Light "Crab" ad, but there's no way it was the best.

I liked the Blockbuster "use the mouse" ad. We cracked up when the rabbit was sliding that mouse back and forth.

Careerbuilder.com had the best series of ads, I thought. Those guys getting netted for a "volunteer" event was hilarious.

Bud was just so-so. (The Rock/Paper/Scissor ad was a rip-off of the Sprint ad when the guy throws his phone at the other guy.) Coke seemed pointless...but the video game one was interesting. I couldn't believe Coke did an ad featuring a man who had never had one.

Goulet gets an honorable mention. How can you NOT like Robert Goulet??

Roy Tucker
02-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Like I mentioned before, I found the violence level of the ads shocking.

Between the slapping, rock throwing, pulling out chest hairs, jumping off cliffs, getting killed by a meteorite, etc., there were many times where my jar dropped and I thought "*this* is supposed to be funny?". I didn't find it funny at all.

This article at NYT talks about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/business/media/05adcol.html?em&ex=1170824400&en=aa53d864567e88e3&ei=5087%0A

creek14
02-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Like I mentioned before, I found the violence level of the ads shocking.

Between the slapping, rock throwing, pulling out chest hairs, jumping off cliffs, getting killed by a meteorite, etc., there were many times where my jar dropped and I thought "*this* is supposed to be funny?". I didn't find it funny at all.

This article at NYT talks about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/business/media/05adcol.html?em&ex=1170824400&en=aa53d864567e88e3&ei=5087%0A

I was at work for the first 1/2 of the game. The young airmen were laughing like fools at all that violence. And they gave a big ewwww at the Snickers commercial. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I feel so dang old. And evolved.

Johnny Footstool
02-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Goulet skittering across the ceiling is an enduring image.

BoydsOfSummer
02-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I'll never eat another snickers bar.

CrackerJack
02-05-2007, 05:30 PM
The rock/paper/scissors commercial was really dumb, and unfunny.

Is that the best these people can come up with for millions of dollars of air time?

It's not that anyone's getting old, it's really that the ads were incredibly lame and the advertising industry is quickly running out of ideas....like Hollwyood did years ago.

I do thank the Gods we didn't have to listen to that annoying John Cougar song at all last night (at least I didn't). I am very thankful for that.

The game wasn't so bad, the rain really hampered it quite a bit obviously. I was rootin' for the Colts though.

FutureRedsGM
02-05-2007, 05:30 PM
The ad where the car building robot lost it's job was touching. I almost felt sorry for the poor thing.

TeamCasey
02-05-2007, 06:55 PM
One thing I noticed is that all the Coke ads featured Coke in a glass bottle.

I wish!

(Yes, I know they still sell it in the little bottles as a novelty at about $5 a six pack.)

Soda and milk. Two things that tastes better from a glass bottle.

I guess I'm old too. Humbug!

Redsfaithful
02-05-2007, 07:00 PM
The ad where the car building robot lost it's job was touching. I almost felt sorry for the poor thing.

That was my favorite of the night.

Yachtzee
02-05-2007, 07:19 PM

I wish!

(Yes, I know they still sell it in the little bottles as a novelty at about $5 a six pack.)

I'll agree with you on that.

cincinnati chili
02-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I liked Mr. Turkey Neck.

I went to the bathroom during the robot, but my wife nearly cried over it.

savafan
02-06-2007, 01:17 AM
the Robert Goulet "Emerald Nuts" ad, which won in my mind for running with such an amazingly random concept and making it work

I also REALLY liked the K-Fed ad with him rapping into a security camera at a fast food joint.

These were the only two that I found enjoyable at all.

WebScorpion
02-06-2007, 02:55 PM
I thought the commercials were generally lame this year, too. I didn't hate the Bud Light "Crab" ad, but there's no way it was the best.

I liked the Blockbuster "use the mouse" ad. We cracked up when the rabbit was sliding that mouse back and forth.

Careerbuilder.com had the best series of ads, I thought. Those guys getting netted for a "volunteer" event was hilarious.

Bud was just so-so. (The Rock/Paper/Scissor ad was a rip-off of the Sprint ad when the guy throws his phone at the other guy.) Coke seemed pointless...but the video game one was interesting. I couldn't believe Coke did an ad featuring a man who had never had one.

Goulet gets an honorable mention. How can you NOT like Robert Goulet??

I didn't think they were all that bad either. I think everyone's expectations are a little overblown. I liked the Careerbuilder ads and I was glad they didn't use the monkeys again (That'd be 3 years in a row, wouldn't it?) I especially liked the line "Sign out, please." from the security guard just before they all ran off the cliff.

Bud's ads were ok...I liked the muddy dog imitating a dalmation better than the crabs worshiping the cooler, tho. Laughed at the rock, paper, scissors ad, but it was just the way the guy arched over backward as he fell over. Slapstick always gets me...

My favorite was actually the Car-r-r-r-r-ne Asada ad from Taco Bell. Like Ricardo Montalban. Ricardo Montalban? followed by Ricardo Montalban's unmistakable voice. C'mon, it was funny! Lighten up!
:beerme:

Razor Shines
02-06-2007, 05:24 PM
I think the Snickers commercial could have been funny if they would have gone somewhere with it. They couldn't think of anything better than pulling out some chest hair? I heard on the radio today that it was pulled because it was anti-gay and MARS inc. apologized for offending anyone. They should have apologized for it not being funny

BuckeyeRed27
02-06-2007, 09:10 PM
My favorite was the Bud Light hitchhiker one.

"But he has a chainsaw!"

I was cracking up at that.

redsfan1966
02-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Sorry if I am raining on anyone's parade...but what a underwhelming Super Bowl on sunday....and to top it off the commercials were lackluster too...I didnt find any of the commercials entertaining or having any "wow" factor except for the Letterman/Oprah promo....I cant believe that the rating was so high for the game...apparently the third highest super bowl of all time...amazing...

Red in Chicago
02-06-2007, 10:32 PM

I wish!

Nothing tastes better than coca-cola from the bottle:beerme:

Chip R
02-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Sorry if I am raining on anyone's parade...but what a underwhelming Super Bowl on sunday....and to top it off the commercials were lackluster too...I didnt find any of the commercials entertaining or having any "wow" factor except for the Letterman/Oprah promo....I cant believe that the rating was so high for the game...apparently the third highest super bowl of all time...amazing...

I thought it would get good ratings since Peyton is a Madison Avenue sweetheart and the Bears always have a good following but I didn't think it would be that good. It was actually the 2nd highest rated Super Bowl ever and the 3rd highest rated TV show of all time.

redsfan1966
02-06-2007, 10:44 PM
thanks for the correction, Chip R....that makes it even more amazing that it was second all time...especially when you consider the Steeler/Cowboy rivalries...I especially liked the footage of the Colts riding thru Indy during the celebration parade....the crowds must have been one or two deep--(I know, I know, it was cold and 40000 showed up at the dome)

Razor Shines
02-07-2007, 12:14 AM
thanks for the correction, Chip R....that makes it even more amazing that it was second all time...especially when you consider the Steeler/Cowboy rivalries...I especially liked the footage of the Colts riding thru Indy during the celebration parade....the crowds must have been one or two deep--(I know, I know, it was cold and 40000 showed up at the dome)

I was there, the crowds outside were bigger than that, I didn't really see much of what they showed on tv. It was 2 degrees with a wind chill of -11 though.

blumj
02-07-2007, 12:45 AM
My favorite was actually the Car-r-r-r-r-ne Asada ad from Taco Bell. Like Ricardo Montalban. Ricardo Montalban? followed by Ricardo Montalban's unmistakable voice. C'mon, it was funny! Lighten up!
:beerme:

I just saw that one again, and while I hate that they got me with another stupid talking animals ad, I'll admit that they did get me. It was stupid, but funny stupid.

jmcclain19
02-07-2007, 01:11 AM
I thought the Garmin commercial was a amusing, but apparently according to USA Today not many others did.

Shows what I know.

RedsBaron
02-07-2007, 07:28 AM
My favorite was the Bud Light hitchhiker one.

"But he has a chainsaw!"

I was cracking up at that.

I liked that one, one of the few I cared for.

Redsfaithful
02-07-2007, 08:59 PM
I thought the Garmin commercial was a amusing, but apparently according to USA Today not many others did.

Shows what I know.

That was probably my second favorite so you're not alone.

MWM
02-07-2007, 09:04 PM
It was a bad year as far an entertainment value, but there were a few that were good product advertisements. The problem when the focus is on entertainment and not effective advertising, it winds up being waste of money. My guess is there has been directives the past couple of years to still try to be funny, but making sure they stay on message. Sometimes it's hard to do both.

For entertainment value only, I liked Turkey Neck and the Lions saying "Carne Asada."