PDA

View Full Version : White Death 2007.

Pages : [1] 2

Heath
02-06-2007, 03:02 PM
For those of you not in the greater Dayton/Cincinnati metroplex, its snowing. It's quite interesting around here right now. To heck with global warming.

Here's the latest radar -

http://image.weather.com/web/radar/us_ind_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

2-4 inches by the end of the evening.

Red Leader
02-06-2007, 03:08 PM
hey Heath, wouldn't this be White Death 2007? :dunno:

Ltlabner
02-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh dear god. Just drove 15 miles on the highway and people were most definatley freaking out. For those of you in the area who will drive home at rush hour....my prayers for you. Prepare to spend a lot of time sitting in traffic and you might want to bring some food along.

Good lord. I guess everybody claims their city is the worst for dealing with snow and driving in it, but Cincinnati is down right horrible.

paintmered
02-06-2007, 03:12 PM
I think the world is going to end. :runawaycr

Heath
02-06-2007, 03:18 PM
hey Heath, wouldn't this be White Death 2007? :dunno:

See? White Death confused me!

Red Leader
02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
See? White Death confused me!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

UKFlounder
02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Cincinnati's city manager was supposedly encouraging businesses to let employees leave at 2:00. Our company was going to close at 3:00, but around 10-15 minutes before 2:00, they came around & said go home.

Plus, I have to admit days like this make me appreciate the bus system (TANK) even more. The roads actually were not too bad, but it's nice to let the driver negotiate them & he did a wonderful job today.

beb30
02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHH! WHITE DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:explode: :shocked:

M2
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
2 to 4 inches is a trifle. I hope NYMoose stops by this thread to remind folks that anything under a foot doesn't count.

GAC
Being a 3rd shifter I just love trying to drive to work in this stuff. School has been canceled the last two days because of the extreme cold (wish they did that when I was a kid), so know it will probably be canceled for an inch or two of snow.

Unassisted
This is the time of year that I like to compare weather with Midwesterners. :D

http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_cond/language/www/US/TX/San_Antonio.gif

missionhockey21
02-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks UD for closing at 4 PM, that really helped me while walking through and driving during the snow. Oh and the salt on the sidewalk... a huge help.

TeamCasey
02-06-2007, 03:28 PM
My boss let us go home as long as we logged in with our laptops. It wasn't a company-wide dismissal, but our group travels alot and can work from anywhere. I had a conference call, so I just used my cell.

Hopefully they get the side roads cleared my morning.

Matt700wlw
02-06-2007, 03:29 PM
I GOT to work a little before 2...

Everybody...GO HOME! GET OUT OF MY WAY, so I can drive freely later.

:D

JaxRed
02-06-2007, 03:30 PM
What is this "snow" thing you are talking about? :D

M2
02-06-2007, 03:34 PM
What is this "snow" thing you are talking about? :D

I live in New England and I'm asking the same question this winter. I don't think Boston's up to a half inch of snow yet for the season. I picked a good year to get knee surgery and be forbidden from skiing.

Ltlabner
02-06-2007, 03:35 PM
2 to 4 inches is a trifle. I hope NYMoose stops by this thread to remind folks that anything under a foot doesn't count.

A few years back Cincy got a good 6 to 8" in a single snow. I made the mistake of mentioning it to my boss. He's out of our office in Milwaukee, WI. I can't repeat his responce but it was along the same lines as your post.

I'm constantly amazed by people who are lost about driving in the snow. Just slow down (but don't go 5mph either), take your time, be carefull and for the love of God, DON'T SLAM ON YOUR BRAKES IF YOU START TO SLIDE A LITTLE!!!!

gonelong
02-06-2007, 03:35 PM

It all depends on what you are used to and how well equipped you are. A foot of snow in a place that expects a foot of snow is routine and should be treated as such.

Two inches of snow in Florida ought to cause some issus of some sort.

2 to 4 inches in Ohio shouldn't be a big deal at all. My office is pretty much cleared out already. I'll be heading home soon simply because there is noone around to work with.

GL

TeamCasey
02-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Yikes, they just showed traffic at a crawl on 275, 71 and 75.

Red Leader
02-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Yikes, they just showed traffic at a crawl on 275, 71 and 75.

My wife is on her way back home from Columbus. She said that I-675 southbound is backed up all of the way to I-70.

TeamCasey
02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
My wife is on her way back home from Columbus. She said that I-675 southbound is backed up all of the way to I-70.

She'd be better off grabbing a hotel or waiting out some of the traffic at a restaurant or something.

HotCorner
02-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Projections are now for 5 to 8 inches of snow. Freak out everyone!

Red Leader
02-06-2007, 03:45 PM
She'd be better off grabbing a hotel or waiting out some of the traffic at a restaurant or something.

Stubborn like a bull.

I recommended she stop, get something to eat and wait for the trucks to get out to clear the roads. She laughed. She said that she's tried every re-route possible on her GPS and all of the roads to get home are "jacked up."

KronoRed
02-06-2007, 03:46 PM
I love snow ;)

Red Leader
Projections are now for 5 to 8 inches of snow. Freak out everyone!

:runaway: :runaway: :runawaycr :runawaycr :runawaycr :runawaycr :runawaycr :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :scared: :shocked:

TeamCasey
It is all relative. I'm from upstate NY. Heated bus garages, our schools never closed, tons of road equipment running 24 hours, more snow, less ice and they know how to treat the roads better.

Traffic gridlocks here on a rainy day. Heck, my route is backed up any morning if I miss a 15 minute window to drive to work on a nice day.

M2
It all depends on what you are used to and how well equipped you are. A foot of snow in a place that expects a foot of snow is routine and should be treated as such.

2 to 4 inches in Ohio shouldn't be a big deal at all. My office is pretty much cleared out already. I'll be heading home soon simply because there is noone around to work with.

GL

Good points. You know you're in real snow country when they've got the parking meters set away from the curbs in order to leave space to pile up the snow.

I hear snow in Atlanta is greeted as a sign of the Apocalypse and the locals act accordingly.

NYMoose
02-06-2007, 03:47 PM

I am here....and you are correct. Although I am glad I do not live close enough to Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Western NY has been getting blasted. Guy I work with has a son near Buffalo. 2 feet yesterday alone. Thats ok if it is an isolated storm, but when you get snow like that day after day, it gets a little much. We have a foot or so on the ground, it has just been cold here. Below zero most nights.

pedro
02-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I hear snow in Atlanta is greeted as a sign of the Apocalypse and the locals act accordingly.

Portland too.

Although I do remember passing cop cars that had been abandoned on the side of the road in atlanta which always cracked me up.

NYMoose
02-06-2007, 03:52 PM
It is all relative. I'm from upstate NY. Heated bus garages, our schools never closed, tons of road equipment running 24 hours, more snow, less ice and they know how to treat the roads better.

:thumbup:

gotta love upstate NY in the winter

westofyou
02-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Good points. You know you're in real snow country when they've got the parking meters set away from the curbs in order to leave space to pile up the snow.

Snow in the Atlanta area is pure comedy, here in PDX they don't use salt (which is bad enough), but allow studded tires so they spread sand and plow, with AWD it's no problem.

In Atlanta they wait for it to melt and they have more hills, no studded tires or winter cleanup methods or tools. It's a mess.

Razor Shines
02-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I just had a nice 4 and 1/2 hour drive from Indianapolis to Louisville, usually takes about an hour and 45 minutes. Indy already had about 3-4 inches down and I saw atleast 8 people slide off the road, that's 8 that I actually saw, many more I passed that had already slid off. Just because your car says it is 4WD doesn't mean you can do 70 in 4 inches of snow and ice. Snow also doesn't mean that you should slam on your brakes every time you see someone 200 ft. in front of you hit their brakes.

Ltlabner
02-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Just because your car says it is 4WD doesn't mean you can do 70 in 4 inches of snow and ice. It also doesn't mean that you should slam on your brakes every time you see someone 200 ft. in front of you hit there brakes.

A few weeks ago we got an inch or so on a Sunday. I was on 275 in the center lane. A dude in a 4x4 tried to pass me on the right becuase he had somewhere really important to go, I guess. Well, he got just past my front bumper, started to fishtail and then proceeded to have the rear end slide around to the front, slide across the right, center and left lanes and then plop down in the median. Had I not let off the gas at the second I saw him starting to lose it he would have torn off my front end.

I also don't get the "break slammer" crowd. Not one bit.

redsmetz
02-06-2007, 04:10 PM
I think they shut things down early because it's apparently going to snow more than they originally said.

I took some photos outside my office. I can I post those?

TeamCasey
02-06-2007, 04:11 PM

gotta love upstate NY in the winter

No you don't! :laugh: Did I tell you, I considered jobs at Pfizer - Ann Arbor. Snow helped me make that decision ....... thank goodness! (I told you my job was cut last year, right?)

Anyway, my last winter in N.Y. was so horrible. I had to shovel the roof. I lived on a 55 mph highway, so the plows packed in the snow up to my garage. The banks were so high, I could no longer lift the snow over them. I sat in a lawn chair, opened a beer and cried one day. :laugh: I just couldn't shovel anymore.

Caveat Emperor
02-06-2007, 04:13 PM
They sent an e-mail out saying all Hamilton County offices were closing at 2. Then at around 12:45, they made an announcement on the office PA that unless you had a good reason to be at the office, it'd be a good idea to just leave as soon as possible.

It still took me over an hour to get from 9th street to Anderson. I can't believe that the city didn't start pre-treating the roads when they knew this snowfall was coming.

Moronic.

redhawkfish
02-06-2007, 04:16 PM
This is the first time in sixteen years of teaching that we have had school called off because of an "impending" snowstorm.:laugh: :D

redsmetz
02-06-2007, 04:17 PM
They sent an e-mail out saying all Hamilton County offices were closing at 2. Then at around 12:45, they made an announcement on the office PA that unless you had a good reason to be at the office, it'd be a good idea to just leave as soon as possible.

It still took me over an hour to get from 9th street to Anderson. I can't believe that the city didn't start pre-treating the roads when they knew this snowfall was coming.

Moronic.

I heard this on the news yesterday. They pretreat with a brine wash and with the temperatures so low, that would freeze itself. They have to drop the calcium chloride in really cold temps, although I don't know why they couldn't do that ahead of time.

NYMoose
02-06-2007, 04:18 PM
No you don't! :laugh: Did I tell you, I considered jobs at Pfizer - Ann Arbor. Snow helped me make that decision ....... thank goodness! (I told you my job was cut last year, right?)

Anyway, my last winter in N.Y. was so horrible. I had to shovel the roof. I lived on a 55 mph highway, so the plows packed in the snow up to my garage. The banks were so high, I could no longer lift the snow over them. I sat in a lawn chair, opened a beer and cried one day. :laugh: I just couldn't shovel anymore.

I've done the shovel the roof thing before. 2 winters ago took 3 1/2 feet off of three separate buildings. That was a workout.

I did know about your job. Plant here is closing too. I am lucky and will transfer to another location about 40 miles away.

Razor Shines
02-06-2007, 04:27 PM
This is the first time in sixteen years of teaching that we have had school called off because of an "impending" snowstorm.:laugh: :D

It was a preemptive cancellation then? I know in Louisville they did that because this morning they were saying they were going to get 2-4 inches of snow this afternoon and after they sent the kids home the weather reports said they were only going to get half an inch.

Roy Tucker
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
In these days of wireless networks and VPNs, its just as easy to work at home as it is at work.

In Minneapolis, they put 10 ft. orange poles on the fire hydrants so they can be found in the winter. I first saw them in the summer and asked what the heck.

My boss lives in Minneapolis and he just laughs at me when I say the schools are called off for cold temps and snow. It's all what you're used to and how the infrastructure is equipped (and funded).

TeamCasey
02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
I did know about your job. Plant here is closing too. I am lucky and will transfer to another location about 40 miles away.

Thank goodness! Congratulations and I hope it works out great. Future is pretty dreary for R&D everywhere. So sad.

Yachtzee
02-06-2007, 04:51 PM
I am here....and you are correct. Although I am glad I do not live close enough to Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Western NY has been getting blasted. Guy I work with has a son near Buffalo. 2 feet yesterday alone. Thats ok if it is an isolated storm, but when you get snow like that day after day, it gets a little much. We have a foot or so on the ground, it has just been cold here. Below zero most nights.

I feel for you. I'm right on the western edge of the Lake Erie "Snow Belt," literally. When we get snow, there's typically a line that goes diagonally through our fair city. On the northeast side of the line, expect 2-3x the snow south of the line. We don't get as much as Buffalo, but 5-8 inches, while it is considered a pretty good snowfall, is probably not going to get school cancelled. Of course the bitter cold has caused a number of schools in the area to close, but that's a different story.

Now that being said, I've driven through PA and Western NY to get to the in-laws during snow. If it's bad in Cleveland, it's really bad in Erie, and once you get to Jamestown, forget it. I've had to wait out snowstorms in Falconer, NY a few times just because it got so bad that your only way to tell where you were going was by following the taillights in front of you. You have to hope that the person in front of you is still on the road. :eek:

I've seen I-75 in Dayton become a parking lot because they got 1/2 inch of snow. Amateurs!

SunDeck
02-06-2007, 04:53 PM
My boss decided to close at six. That's three hours early, but one hour after our normal rotation of shifts. So, instead of just sending my day staff home at 5pm and calling a couple part timers to tell them not to come in, I have to scramble and twist about ten arms into staying an hour later.

Thanks boss.

LawFive
02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
We received an email at 1:45 that stated we were allowed to leave at 1:30. Gotta love management.

And, at the end of the message, was the following:
"The morning commute will doubtless be long and slow. Today is the time to plan so you can make it to work safely tomorrow."

Translation: You better get your butt in here tomorrow.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm in Columbus, and I haven't gone anywhere since Sunday, I went out to my car, tried to start it up and it wouldn't, looked at my fuel gauge and it was on E. I knew I had gas, so I figured it was frozen. I'm gonna be a shut-in for a little while.

It's been snowing here probably an hour and a half 2 hours and it looks like a good inch is down already.

Matt700wlw
02-06-2007, 05:27 PM
We received an email at 1:45 that stated we were allowed to leave at 1:30.

Nice.

vaticanplum
02-06-2007, 05:50 PM
I must say something in defense of this kind of weather. I too thought that everyone was freaking out for such little snow, but the fact is it's not really the snow itself that is the problem today. Salt has basically no effect when it's under 19 degrees, which is probably why a lot of you didn't see many salt trucks. The snow is coming down very fast and being in the Ohio River Valley traps fog, so visibility is very bad. I come home on Eastern Avenue and I couldn't even see the river at all.

So it is not the snow itself that's problematic -- it's the visibility and, above all, the temperatures. I had to keep my defroster on high all the way home because the couple of times I didn't, the snow immediately froze on my windshield and I couldn't see a thing. And by "all the way home", I mean over an hour and a half for a 15-minute commute. I don't even mind it too much though...I like the strategy of it, testing your brakes lightly on the straight paths so you can manage your speed on curves and not have to brake...I really love this stuff. It's like Boggle for your driving skills. Or something. Plus I think the snow is purdy.

Ltlabner
02-06-2007, 06:02 PM
We received an email at 1:45 that stated we were allowed to leave at 1:30. Gotta love management.

And, at the end of the message, was the following:
"The morning commute will doubtless be long and slow. Today is the time to plan so you can make it to work safely tomorrow."

Translation: You better get your butt in here tomorrow.

At the place I used to work, there would be people who would call off because of any amount of snow. 16 feet of snow...I'm calling off. 1/16 of an inch of snow...I'm calling off! It was silly. Those of us in the sales department were never late because of snow because we know how to drive in it, left early, etc. There were others who would always make it to work but might be late because of traffic or whatever. Then you had the crew that was waiting for a heavy frost as an excuse to "not be able to make it in" to work.

MrCinatit
02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
In about two and a half hours, I have the pleasure of walking in this stuff - and frankly, I will probably be better off than most Piqua drivers. People in this town seriously don't know how to handle this stuff.
I also know that at least one of my coworkers will call off because he won't be able to get his four wheel drive to work. Of course, this is the same guy who once called off to take his girlfriend to work.

vaticanplum
02-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Been home for a few hours. Ok, now I'm bored.

KittyDuran
02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Just got home about a half hour ago... I left Sharonville at 3pm! Hamilton roads are awlful! :(

Chip R
02-06-2007, 07:15 PM
I've decided not to go to my night job tonight. I'd probably go but to get there I have to go up - and down - this hilly, winding driveway. I just talked to my supervisor and he said he almost didn't make it up the hill.

Heath
02-06-2007, 07:25 PM
I've decided not to go to my night job tonight. I'd probably go but to get there I have to go up - and down - this hilly, winding driveway. I just talked to my supervisor and he said he almost didn't make it up the hill.

Ah, that Cincinnati mafia house must not have very good snowplows.

:cool:

Caveat Emperor
02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Been home for a few hours. Ok, now I'm bored.

It's not that I want to go anywhere, it's just that I hate knowing that I couldn't if I wanted to. :cool:

Ltlabner
02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I got back in a little while ago from cleaning the drive way. It looked like 4 to 6" or so.

By the way, snowblowers rule.

GAC
02-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Wimp! Must be from flat Iowa. :mooner:

We're still getting nailed up here in central Ohio and I'm getting ready to leave for work. Real men don't let a little snow bother them.

Real men also end up in ditches alot too!

TeamBoone
02-06-2007, 08:37 PM

GL

I agree with your first two paragraphs, but not the third.

Ohio is a big state. Cleveland falls into the first paragraph... Cincinnati falls into none of them.

The normal temp for this time of year is 39-40... well above snow level. Cincinnati usually has one or two snowfalls of more than 4-5 inches per winter, with a few dustings that are far less. Even the lesser ones cause a lot of trouble, however, because they usually melt rapidly, and turn to ice during the lower night temperatures.

The greater ones cause far more trouble because for only two "major" snowfalls per year, not a lot of money is put into snow removal equipment, which is made even worse because of the miles and miles of interstate that have to be dealt with first, sometimes leaving the side roads untended for several days.

It's a misconception that Cincinnati routinely gets a lot of snow. People don't know how to drive in it for good reason... they don't see it often or for extended periods of time.

I lived in upstate NY so I know how it is to get tons of snow. The roads are taken care of immediately by the tons of equipment they have to deal with it so unless it's an absolute blizzard or 2 feet deep, it's not a huge problem there. They're used to it.

creek14
02-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I just got a call reminding me I'm *mission essential*.

Let's see, I'm 51, I've been in this job for years, I don't miss work, and some punk calls to remind me to show up for work tomorrow.

I hung up on him.

RedFanAlways1966
02-06-2007, 08:40 PM
On the bright side (if there is one)... it was a very light and powdery snow. Easy to shovel.

I left work at 2:45 pm. My wife had surgery last month and still is not allowed to drive. Therefore, I have been picking up the 2-year-old daughter at daycare. I do not think I have drove with her in the car in bad snow yet (been mild winters since she was born). Thinking about it made me nervous and I decided to bail early. My boss disappeared at 1:45!

Once I got home I started blowing/shoveling. It was still snowing pretty good but I decided to get rid of the snow that had already accumulated. I went back out at 7:00 pm and got done at about 8:00 pm. It finally stopped snowing at about 7:15 pm.

I hate winter!

Super_Barry11
02-06-2007, 08:41 PM
You all are making me jealous.... I want some snow!!!!!! :(

Matt700wlw
02-06-2007, 08:42 PM
On the bright side (if there is one)... it was a very light and powdery snow. Easy to shovel.

I left work at 2:45 pm. My wife had surgery last month and still is not allowed to drive. Therefore, I have been picking up the 2-year-old daughter at daycare. I do not think I have drove with her in the car in bad snow yet (been mild winters since she was born). Thinking about it made me nervous and I decided to bail early. My boss disappeared at 1:45!

Once I got home I started blowing/shoveling. It was still snowing pretty good but I decided to get rid of the snow that had already accumulated. I went back out at 7:00 pm and got done at about 8:00 pm. It finally stopped snowing at about 7:15 pm.

I hate winter!

I liked global warming better....60s in mid January, no sign of winter.

I'm not buying the "global warming" argument yet. :D

RedFanAlways1966
02-06-2007, 08:45 PM

Shhhh... someone is counting on people buying into it. It could mean a Nobel Prize! :devil:

vaticanplum
02-06-2007, 08:46 PM
It's not that I want to go anywhere, it's just that I hate knowing that I couldn't if I wanted to. :cool:

Bingo.

What were my plans tonight? Hanging out at home and relaxing, probably. What am I doing? Hanging out at home and feeling antsy.

My heat's been very much on the fritz though so that is a genuine pain. I've got a long-sleeve shirt and two sweaters on and I'm still shivering. Lately I've been leaving the house at night, either going somewhere or just driving around to get the car heat for a while. I can't do that tonight.

RedFanAlways1966
02-06-2007, 08:56 PM
An electric blanket is a good inverstment, vatican. Nothing better on a cold evening when you are hanging at home. I have one on my bed every winter and I am religious about turning it on around 9:00 pm so it is heated-up when I hit the hay. They can be used on the couch/chair as well.

Heath
02-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Nice thing about White Death -

MASH re-runs on TV Land.

guttle11
02-06-2007, 09:09 PM
At least it was the fluffy snow. Shoveling was a breeze.

TeamBoone
02-06-2007, 09:10 PM

Have you read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear"? It's a novel but all the technical stuff is factual.

Made me think long and hard about whether or not global warming is real.

Heath
02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
You all are making me jealous.... I want some snow!!!!!! :(

We can mail some to you, if you want.

redsfan1966
02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
I hate this weather....snow stinks...I dont care about it looking "pretty" or "beautiful"...it stinks, and I dont like it. When we were having the warm weather in November and December, I wanted to ram my fist down the throat of everyone I heard saying--"Oh, when is winter going to get here??? I miss the snow." Yeeeeeeeechhhhh! I hope those freaks are happy now.

gonelong
02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I agree with your first two paragraphs, but not the third.

Ohio is a big state. Cleveland falls into the first paragraph... Cincinnati falls into none of them.

The normal temp for this time of year is 39-40... well above snow level. Cincinnati usually has one or two snowfalls of more than 4-5 inches per winter, with a few dustings that are far less. Even the lesser ones cause a lot of trouble, however, because they usually melt rapidly, and turn to ice during the lower night temperatures.

The greater ones cause far more trouble because for only two "major" snowfalls per year, not a lot of money is put into snow removal equipment, which is made even worse because of the miles and miles of interstate that have to be dealt with first, sometimes leaving the side roads untended for several days.

It's a misconception that Cincinnati routinely gets a lot of snow. People don't know how to drive in it for good reason... they don't see it often or for extended periods of time.

I lived in upstate NY so I know how it is to get tons of snow. The roads are taken care of immediately by the tons of equipment they have to deal with it so unless it's an absolute blizzard or 2 feet deep, it's not a huge problem there. They're used to it.

I've lived in many areas of Ohio, if you don't know how to drive in the snow after a few years, you just aren't trying. Plenty of opportunity for those that use a bit of sense before the wander out.

I LOVE driving in the snow. Its the rest of the people that are driving in the snow I could do without. :)

2.5 hour drive home tonight, ususally 35-45 minutes. Sigh.

GL

KronoRed
02-06-2007, 09:49 PM

That's all well and good untill it's 130 in July :devil:

westofyou
02-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I just got a call reminding me I'm *mission essential*.

Let's see, I'm 51, I've been in this job for years, I don't miss work, and some punk calls to remind me to show up for work tomorrow.

I hung up on him.

Creek, I love you.

Dom Heffner
02-06-2007, 10:12 PM
You all are making me jealous.... I want some snow!!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing today. It was in the low 70s, I think today in Tampa. It may have been cooler bt not much.

Snow, I think, is like an old flame. You think you miss it until you spend a day with it and then you remember why you left it behind.

But man, what I wouldn't give to see some right now. Snow. Not the old girlfriend. :)

wolfboy
02-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Some people across the street are sledding down the hill in their front yard...on a matress :confused: . Earlier some kids were driving around in a pickup truck, dragging their friend on a snowboard.

macro
02-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Is any snowstorm complete without the news people getting out in it and doing their reports from the side of the interstate or on an overpass? There's nothing like having eight inches of snow on your lawn and having a news person standing by the road telling you that it snowed and that the snow got on the highways and people are driving in it and that you shouldn't get out unless you have to.

:rolleyes: :lol:

dougdirt
02-06-2007, 10:30 PM
It took my dad 4 hours to get home on a trip that usually takes 25 minutes. He didnt move on Cross County HWY for and hour and 40 minutes at one point thanks to a wreck.... glad I was not out in this stuff today.

Heath
02-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Some people across the street are sledding down the hill in their front yard...on a matress :confused: . Earlier some kids were driving around in a pickup truck, dragging their friend on a snowboard.

Run if you hear banjo music. :runawaycr

I about hit a snowmobiler on the way home. Never saw him coming down the street. Thankfully I was only going 10 mph since I was braking.

Got home in 7 minutes. Usually takes 2. :D

Heath
02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
White Death for the day officially passed. Life may resume. Radar is clear.

http://image.weather.com/web/radar/us_ind_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

Thanks to everyone who participated. Have not seen on the TV that RedsZone.com is on a 2 hr-delay with no AM Kindergarten.

KronoRed
02-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks to everyone who participated. Have not seen on the TV that RedsZone.com is on a 2 hr-delay with no AM Kindergarten.

Alert the mods of RedsLive :evil:

missionhockey21
02-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Alert the mods of RedsLive :evil:
What that there is a teacher in-service meeting still scheduled for them at 8 AM? Good thinking.

Hollcat
02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Here is South KY (about 3 hours from Cincinnati) we saw about 6 snow flakes today. I came home at 10pm, temp was 39, windy. no precip.

Redsfaithful
02-07-2007, 12:16 AM
I moved from Columbus to Atlanta last Thursday. Not sure my timing could have been any better.

Sunny and 50+ today.

pedro
02-07-2007, 03:32 AM
I moved from Columbus to Atlanta last Thursday. Not sure my timing could have been any better.

Sunny and 50+ today.

Where you living in Atlanta Redsfaithful? I lived there for 10 years.

RedFanAlways1966
02-07-2007, 08:02 AM

Sunny and 50+ today.

Great news on the weather change, timing and move RF! But if you get caught in downtown rush-hour traffic... it might take you longer to get home than it would have with 2-feet of snow in Columbus. :)

GAC
02-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Looks like I won't have to work this weekend so I promised the kids that I'd take them to Madriver Mtn Ski Lodge for some tubing. They just invested another 4 mil in it - added more chutes and expanded them. It's alot of fun, but it was too warm up around here until this month to go. They weren't making snow because the temps were too high to maintain it.

That ain't the case now. ;)

School canceled for the 3rd straight day.

Heath
02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
School canceled for the 3rd straight day.

My wife about called the school board. She needs a vacation.

Today the kids are going to learn more household chores.

timmario66
02-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Left downtown yesterday at 3:30pm for a normal 10-15 minute drive up I71 and arrived home at 8:50 pm.:angry: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I swear if I saw one more person drive the emergency lane to get 10 cars ahead I was going to get out of my car and take a tire iron to them. Stay in your lane and traffic would move instead of having to stop to let your stupidity in every 5 seconds.:angry:

Also when there's snow and you're on a hill, don't stop at a yellow light. Had to slide around the idiot and run the red light.:angry:

SunDeck
02-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I had "help" last night shoveling the driveway- my four and six year olds. The job that takes me one hour took the three of us about twice that....but the ring of snow angels circling the entire house is hella cool.

Living where it doesn't snow is appealing, but nights like that make it all worthwhile.

Matt700wlw
02-07-2007, 02:26 PM
I'd like to congratulate the city of Cincinnati for another dumb idea..."operation snow"

I'm sure their intentions were good, but it didn't work. Nor will they admit that.

Ltlabner
02-07-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm totally shocked that when the encouraged all the people to leave the downtown area, at the same general time, which coniceded with the snowfall starting to accumulate (thus preventing plowing/road treatment) that it resulted in total chaos. Whoda thunk it?

Redsfaithful
02-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Where you living in Atlanta Redsfaithful? I lived there for 10 years.

Technically not Atlanta, I'm in Woodstock about 20 minutes north of the city. Right next to Kennesaw.

westofyou
02-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Technically not Atlanta, I'm in Woodstock about 20 minutes north of the city. Right next to Kennesaw.

Hey that's OTP, you ain't in Atlanta you're in Alpharettaville...

If you've made it from Woodstock to Atlanta in 20 minutes you're flying.

Heath
02-07-2007, 10:38 PM

I-575 can do wonders. I call it the "Road to Nowhere".

macro
02-07-2007, 11:37 PM

My neighbor and good friend dates a woman from Marietta.

Redsfaithful
02-07-2007, 11:41 PM

True, I seriously am driving a lot faster down here. I feel like if I don't I'll get run over.

I've only been here a week so I haven't driven from my house to Atlanta, just going by what the realtor told us. She said 20 minutes without traffic, up to an hour and a half with. :laugh:

westofyou
02-08-2007, 09:42 AM
True, I seriously am driving a lot faster down here. I feel like if I don't I'll get run over.

I've only been here a week so I haven't driven from my house to Atlanta, just going by what the realtor told us. She said 20 minutes without traffic, up to an hour and a half with. :laugh:

Everyone in Atlanta drives 85, it's easily the most dangerous place I've ever been on the highway (and I lived in California for 20 years!!) That's why the TV news spends all its time on car wrecks.

vaticanplum
02-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I was wondering if any of you could offer me advice. I love the snow and the cold. My hands, however, do not.

I go through this every year. The cold dries out my hands. I mean, to a truly awful extent. They flake, my knuckles are cracked and bleeding, and they cut easily. I work with my hands a lot of the day, and I wash my hands a lot (I'm not willing to give this up, since I rarely get sick and I think this is partly the reason). On the other hand, I try to do what I can: I put on lotion when I have the chance, and I drink water constantly, I'm like a camel. But they're still awful. I have the hands of an 80-year-old this time of year. I can pinch the skin anywhere on my hands it it just stays there, it doesn't go back down to the hand form. neat party trick, but my hands are killing me and they're hideous to boot.

So, old fogeys and dry skinners: what the heck can I do about this? Can anyone recommend anything?

pedro
02-08-2007, 07:10 PM
I was wondering if any of you could offer me advice. I love the snow and the cold. My hands, however, do not.

I go through this every year. The cold dries out my hands. I mean, to a truly awful extent. They flake, my knuckles are cracked and bleeding, and they cut easily. I work with my hands a lot of the day, and I wash my hands a lot (I'm not willing to give this up, since I rarely get sick and I think this is partly the reason). On the other hand, I try to do what I can: I put on lotion when I have the chance, and I drink water constantly, I'm like a camel. But they're still awful. I have the hands of an 80-year-old this time of year. I can pinch the skin anywhere on my hands it it just stays there, it doesn't go back down to the hand form. neat party trick, but my hands are killing me and they're hideous to boot.

So, old fogeys and dry skinners: what the heck can I do about this? Can anyone recommend anything?

Burt's Beeswax Hand Salve

I used to have the same problem. Burt's really does the trick.

http://www.burtsbees.com/wcsstore/Burts2/images/catalog/full/105.png

http://www.burtsbees.com

vaticanplum
02-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Oooh, thank you Pedro.

Yachtzee
02-08-2007, 07:26 PM

My grandfather had that problem. He swore by this stuff.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

vaticanplum
02-08-2007, 07:28 PM

That just makes me want to go to Vermont.

paintmered
02-08-2007, 07:32 PM

I swear by that stuff. :thumbup:

Chip R
02-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Burt's Beeswax Hand Salve

I used to have the same problem. Burt's really does the trick.

http://www.burtsbees.com/wcsstore/Burts2/images/catalog/full/105.png

http://www.burtsbees.com

It's got bits of real Burt in there, so you know it's good. ;)

pedro
02-08-2007, 08:15 PM

I hear that's got real Hippies in it.

pedro
02-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Plus you can use it on your cattle so it's got that going for it. :)

macro
02-08-2007, 11:03 PM
I haven't seen Bag Balm in 25 years. My family ran a dairy farm when I was a kid, and we used that stuff.

Speaking of products with funny names...vatican, this is good stuff:

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/17192/200.jpg

GAC
02-09-2007, 08:10 AM
I haven't seen Bag Balm in 25 years. My family ran a dairy farm when I was a kid, and we used that stuff.

Speaking of products with funny names...vatican, this is good stuff:

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/17192/200.jpg

WAIT A MINUTE! THAT'S FOR YOUR HANDS????? :mooner:

macro
02-09-2007, 08:22 AM

Well, they normally say "read and follow label directions", but I guess if you want to be a rebel...

:lol:

Yachtzee
02-09-2007, 10:11 AM

Maybe you're looking for something more like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzvAdUO0Gjo

TeamMorris
02-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Looks like white death #2 is on the way! Worse than #1 and the potential to be the biggest storm of the area in 3 to 4 years! We are suppose to get it pretty good no matter what but the question right now...will it come in as freezing rain and heavy snow or will it just be tons of heavy snow? Fingers crossed for snow on my part! Ice can take power out...snow can also but ice is more likely. Thank god we have a fire place!!

creek14
02-11-2007, 09:25 AM
I have to be at work at 0700 on Monday and am planning on taking stuff to stay for a while in case the night guys can't make it in at 1900.

So since I am planning ahead, we won't get a flake.

paintmered
02-11-2007, 02:19 PM
WCPO says depending on where the low pressure falls, Cincy could see 12-14 inches.

I'm skeptical. Usually when these mega snowstorms are hyped days in advance, the storm ends up being a total flop. Or have I jinxed us by saying it's not going to happen?

Heath
02-11-2007, 02:47 PM
WCPO says depending on where the low pressure falls, Cincy could see 12-14 inches.

I'm skeptical. Usually when these mega snowstorms are hyped days in advance, the storm ends up being a total flop. Or have I jinxed us by saying it's not going to happen?

The big thing I read is that the watch area is over the entire state, yet every watch I've read specifically reads south central Ohio.

Basically, it tells me the models of meterology can't pinpoint where it's going to hit.

In Dayton, they are calling for less than an inch. In Cinti, Northern KY and South Central Ohio - they are calling for more.

I'm not a meterologist, but the way I read it, if you are east of I-71, look out.

Mods - we need to sticky this thread! :D

Here's the last watch notice -

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH
120 PM EST SUN FEB 11 2007

INZ050-058-059-066-073>075-080-KYZ089>100-OHZ060>063-070>073-
077>082-088-120230-
/O.CON.KILN.WS.A.0002.070212T2100Z-070214T0600Z/
WAYNE-FAYETTE IN-UNION IN-FRANKLIN IN-RIPLEY-DEARBORN-OHIO-
SWITZERLAND-CARROLL-GALLATIN-BOONE-KENTON-CAMPBELL-OWEN-GRANT-
PENDLETON-BRACKEN-ROBERTSON-MASON-LEWIS-PREBLE-MONTGOMERY-GREENE-
FAYETTE OH-BUTLER-WARREN-CLINTON-ROSS-HAMILTON-CLERMONT-BROWN-
HIGHLAND-ADAMS-PIKE-SCIOTO-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RICHMOND...CONNERSVILLE...LIBERTY...
BROOKVILLE...VERSAILLES...LAWRENCEBURG...RISING SUN...VEVAY...
CARROLLTON...WARSAW...BURLINGTON...INDEPENDENCE... ALEXANDRIA...
OWENTON...WILLIAMSTOWN...FALMOUTH...BROOKSVILLE... MOUNT OLIVET...
MAYSVILLE...VANCEBURG...EATON...DAYTON...XENIA...
WASHINGTON COURT HOUSE...HAMILTON...LEBANON...WILMINGTON...
CHILLICOTHE...CINCINNATI...MILFORD...GEORGETOWN... HILLSBORO...
WEST UNION...PIKETON...PORTSMOUTH
120 PM EST SUN FEB 11 2007

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY AFTERNOON
THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY AFTERNOON
THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL MOVE OUT OF THE SOUTHERN PLAINS ON
MONDAY AND INTO THE LOWER TENNESSEE VALLEY ON TUESDAY. ABUNDANT
GULF MOISTURE WILL BE PULLED NORTH INTO THE OHIO VALLEY ON MONDAY
NIGHT AND TUESDAY AS THE LOW PASSES TO THE SOUTH OF THE REGION.
THIS WILL BRING WINTRY PRECIPITATION TO THE REGION.

SOME LIGHT PRECIPITATION WILL BE POSSIBLE ON MONDAY AS A COLD
FRONT DROPS SOUTH ACROSS THE AREA. TEMPERATURES MAY ACTUALLY WARM
ENOUGH FOR THIS TO BE A SNOW AND RAIN MIX IN SOME LOCATIONS ON
MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. SOME LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION IS
POSSIBLE DURING THIS TIME. COLDER AIR MOVING IN FROM THE NORTH
WILL CAUSE THE PRECIPITATION TO CHANGE OVER TO ALL SNOW ON MONDAY
NIGHT...EXCEPT IN PARTS OF NORTHERN KENTUCKY WHERE SLEET WILL
REMAIN POSSIBLE THROUGH THE NIGHT. AS THE LOW MOVES THROUGH THE
TENNESSEE VALLEY ON TUESDAY...HEAVIER PRECIPITATION AND SOME WARM
AIR ALOFT WILL SPREAD NORTH. THE LATEST INDICATIONS ARE THAT A
MIX OF SNOW AND SLEET WILL OCCUR ACROSS NORTHERN KENTUCKY INTO
SOUTH CENTRAL OHIO...WITH FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE AS WELL.
ELSEWHERE THE PRECIPITATION WILL FALL AS ALL SNOW. THE
PRECIPITATION WILL FINALLY WIND DOWN ON TUESDAY NIGHT AS THE
STORM MOVES OFF TO THE EAST. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR 6 TO
10 INCHES OF SNOW. IN ADDITION...SIGNIFICANT SLEET AND FREEZING
RAIN ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE IN NORTHERN KENTUCKY AND SOUTH
CENTRAL OHIO.

THERE STILL IS SOME UNCERTAINTY WITH THE TRACK OF THE STORM AND
THUS HOW MUCH PRECIPITATION WILL OCCUR. IN ADDITION...THE
LOCATION WHERE THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO TRANSITION FROM
ALL SNOW TO A MIXTURE OF SNOW AND ICE MAY CHANGE. SO LISTEN TO
NOAA ALL HAZARDS WEATHER RADIO OR OTHER MEDIA FOR LATER UPDATES
ON THIS SITUATION.

REMEMBER...A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE
FOR HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH AREA.

$$

Isn't there a meterologist that lurks here? :dunno:

Sabo Fan
02-11-2007, 02:56 PM
The big thing I read is that the watch area is over the entire state, yet every watch I've read specifically reads south central Ohio.

In Dayton, they are calling for less than an inch. In Cinti, Northern KY and South Central Ohio - they are calling for more.
I was reading about what was going to happen up near my area (Springfield), and they're saying that 1-3 inches of snow/ice is expected on Monday/Monday night and then another 4-6 inches of snow/ice accumulation is expected on Tuesday. Not sure if that area includes Dayton, but Springfield is only about 25 minutes east on I-70.

Either way, sounds like a good time.

vaticanplum
02-11-2007, 03:11 PM
My driver's side windshield wiper succumbed to the ice/my fooling with it/something-or-other. Totally broken and I have no money to fix it, and now we have snow on the way. That's just fantastic.

Sabo Fan
02-12-2007, 12:08 AM
National Weather Service just upped the ante a bit for my area. Instead of 4-6 inches, 6 to 9 inches of snow/ice is now expected.

Time to start panicking if you haven't already. Oh, and don't forget to stock up on those provisions. Might be weeks before you can make it out of your home.

savafan
02-12-2007, 01:15 AM
I already bought 6X as much groceries than usual today...so I'm betting it won't snow.

Heath
02-12-2007, 07:24 AM
National Weather Service just upped the ante a bit for my area. Instead of 4-6 inches, 6 to 9 inches of snow/ice is now expected.

Time to start panicking if you haven't already. Oh, and don't forget to stock up on those provisions. Might be weeks before you can make it out of your home.

Sarcasm duly noted.

New Dayton forecast has 1-3 inches today - followed by 1 inch of snow/ice mix tomorrow.

NWS still thinks the pressures will mix in South Central Ohio.

RedFanAlways1966
02-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Those wonderful local Dayton TV channels...

All weekend they have a dumb thing in the bottom-right-corner of the picture saying Winter Storm Warning. This for what they expect on Monday night and Tuewsday morning. Not a single snowflake all weekend... but we had to look at Winter Storm Warning on the TV all weekend.

Okay. What should I have done since I was given so much warning... build a snow shelter? Buy thousands of dollars of non-perishable food items? Get adult diapers (ala Space Lady) in case the water lines break and we cannot use the toilets? Get the snow shovels sharpened and waxed? Tune up the snow blower? Buy a snowmobile? Move to Florida?

Ridiculous. It is winter. This is the Midwest. We deal with it almost every year. :help:

Ltlabner
02-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Those wonderful local Dayton TV channels...

All weekend they have a dumb thing in the bottom-right-corner of the picture saying Winter Storm Warning. This for what they expect on Monday night and Tuewsday morning. Not a single snowflake all weekend... but we had to look at Winter Storm Warning on the TV all weekend.

Okay. What should I have done since I was given so much warning... build a snow shelter? Buy thousands of dollars of non-perishable food items? Get adult diapers (ala Space Lady) in case the water lines break and we cannot use the toilets? Get the snow shovels sharpened and waxed? Tune up the snow blower? Buy a snowmobile? Move to Florida?

Ridiculous. It is winter. This is the Midwest. We deal with it almost every year. :help:

I've noticed too that in the past year or two routine summer thunderstorms have become major "weather events" that neccesatate non-stop weather covereage and prempting programing. You get your local weather guy with his sport coat off, tie loosened and sleeves rolled up giving you minute by minute updates on where it's starting to rain. It's all pretty silly.

And now I guess snow storms, which have happened in winter for a while now, are going to get the "sevear weather" treatment.

Reds4Life
02-12-2007, 08:41 AM
I just hope the crews do a better job this time, last week it took me 3 hours to get home from work, and it's usually only a 25 minute trip.

GAC
02-12-2007, 09:21 AM
I work 3rd shift. All I heard last night was this new storm that was coming in Monday night. I get home and check weather.com for central Ohio and after midnight on Tuesday is when it's suppose to start coming down (70-80%). Accumulation could be up to 10 inches by Wednesday morning.

Why does this always have to do this to 3rd shift people? The snow always waits till we get to work and then nails us so it's one heck of a drive trying to get home in the morning. It's blatant discrimination! Pick on 1st and 2nd shifters for a change. :mooner:

MrCinatit
02-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I work 3rd shift. All I heard last night was this new storm that was coming in Monday night. I get home and check weather.com for central Ohio and after midnight on Tuesday is when it's suppose to start coming down (70-80%). Accumulation could be up to 10 inches by Wednesday morning.

Why does this always have to do this to 3rd shift people? The snow always waits till we get to work and then nails us so it's one heck of a drive trying to get home in the morning. It's blatant discrimination! Pick on 1st and 2nd shifters for a change. :mooner:

Here here! Third shifters of the world, unite!

Yachtzee
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I've noticed too that in the past year or two routine summer thunderstorms have become major "weather events" that neccesatate non-stop weather covereage and prempting programing. You get your local weather guy with his sport coat off, tie loosened and sleeves rolled up giving you minute by minute updates on where it's starting to rain. It's all pretty silly.

And now I guess snow storms, which have happened in winter for a while now, are going to get the "sevear weather" treatment.

I think maybe its part of the rise of "weather porn." It seems like it started a few years back when those 4 major hurricanes hit Florida. That year I think a lot of people were glued to the TV set watching all those news reporters out in the hurricane giving us live updates. I think Anderson Cooper was one of the people up raised the bar a notch by going down and filming entire shows in the middle of the hurricane. It really peaked with Hurricane Katrina and since then it seems like any half-way notable weather event gets the full blown treatment.

harangatang
02-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Why does this always have to do this to 3rd shift people? The snow always waits till we get to work and then nails us so it's one heck of a drive trying to get home in the morning. It's blatant discrimination! Pick on 1st and 2nd shifters for a change. :mooner:Calling for up to 18 north of Indy.

westofyou
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
I've noticed too that in the past year or two routine summer thunderstorms have become major "weather events"

Here in the PNW (where it snows once a year) the constant rain has the weather team on the news advertising themselves as "The Storm Team" problem is it rarely storms, it rains almost daily, but it's never a storm and most of us walk around in it like it's nothing.

But daily we all thank the storm team for letting us know it might rain up here in the winter.

harangatang
02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
-

Chip R
02-12-2007, 12:18 PM
-

Oh my God!!! The White Death has claimed harangatang!

Heath
02-12-2007, 12:20 PM
here we go....quiet before the storm...

KronoRed
02-12-2007, 12:36 PM
-

--?

dman
02-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Things could be worse. When the complaining about all of this starts I'll politely remind people of those folks in upstate New York.

Tommyjohn25
02-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Does anybody really have a clue how much the Dayton area is supposed to get? Everybody is telling me different, I've heard 1-3, 2-4, 3-5, and 4-8 inches all from different people.

Red Leader
02-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Does anybody really have a clue how much the Dayton area is supposed to get? Everybody is telling me different, I've heard 1-3, 2-4, 3-5, and 4-8 inches all from different people.

Last I heard we're looking at rain mixed with ice tonight, changing to snow late which will give us 1-2" of snow on top of an icy mix by morning.

Tomorrow, we're supposed to get an additonal 3-5 inches of snow during the day and into the evening and could also get additional accumulation of icy, winter mix.

By Wednesday morning we'll probably have an inch of ice with 4-5" of snow on top of it.

I hope the road crews stay on top of things or traffic to work will be ugly.

Tommyjohn25
02-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Last I heard we're looking at rain mixed with ice tonight, changing to snow late which will give us 1-2" of snow on top of an icy mix by morning.

Tomorrow, we're supposed to get an additonal 3-5 inches of snow during the day and into the evening and could also get additional accumulation of icy, winter mix.

By Wednesday morning we'll probably have an inch of ice with 4-5" of snow on top of it.

I hope the road crews stay on top of things or traffic to work will be ugly.

Thanks for the info. My girlfriends Mom just called me and said she JUST got an update for our area and they are now calling for 6-10 inches total!!

Heath
02-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info. My girlfriends Mom just called me and said she JUST got an update for our area and they are now calling for 6-10 inches total!!

So plan on a dusting.....

Tommyjohn25
02-12-2007, 05:33 PM

:) Pretty much...

MrCinatit
02-13-2007, 06:47 AM

So far, this is a pretty healthy dusting.
I have not been out of the apartment since it started (had inventory yesterday, so instead of the comforting overnight, I worked the nightmarish day hours) - and will not until I possibly leave this evening.
But, so far, this is turning into one heck of a nice little snowstorm. Yeach.

KittyDuran
02-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Well, it was decided at work yesterday that if Hamilton Co is under a Level 2 or Level 3 that the company would be closed....or, if the county you live in has a Level 2 or 3 you do not have to come in - and you will not have to take a personal day.

So... I live in Butler Co...Level 2 - NO WORK!!!:beerme:

Caveat Emperor
02-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Well, that was much ado about nothing.

I woke up early for nothing, now I'm 45 minutes early to work. I wish we had a couch somewhere I could catch a quick nap on before court.

:angry:

vaticanplum
02-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Well, that was much ado about nothing.

I woke up early for nothing, now I'm 45 minutes early to work. I wish we had a couch somewhere I could catch a quick nap on before court.

:angry:

:(

I can't tell what to do. My street looks totally untouched (still buried in snow and rain and slush) but it doesn't feel that cold and the news makes it sound like bigger streets may be fine. Actually, the news is totally unhelpful. "Oh, it really just depends on where you are..." "Oh, it really depends on how the temperatures change..." And the weatherman made a pun on vanilla ice which is kind of unforgiveable.

Caveat Emperor
02-13-2007, 07:28 AM
And the weatherman made a pun on vanilla ice which is kind of unforgiveable.

Did he tell you he was "No fakin', cookin other weathermen like a pound of bacon?"

vaticanplum
02-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Did he tell you he was "No fakin', cookin other weathermen like a pound of bacon?"

He would have earned forgiveness had he said that.

He just kind of let the phrase loose and then apologized. What, weathermen, you can't be comedians too?

Ltlabner
02-13-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm considering calling off of work due to the hazzardous conditions......

Of course, I don't think my boss will buy it, since I work from a home office. :thumbdown

paintmered
02-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Of course, I don't think my boss will buy it, since I work from a home office. :thumbdown

The snow and ice prevented you from traveling downstairs.

Chip R
02-13-2007, 07:45 AM
No work for me today!

vaticanplum
02-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Upon close inspection, my car is actually covered in ice. It has a little trail of ice behind it where it looks like there was another car and the tracks filled in with slush and then froze. Very weird, it doesn't even feel that cold.

Of course, this icy discovery has made me go from not wanting to go to work to wanting to, just to be contrary and prove that I can.

KittyDuran
02-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Well, crap! Just called into work and it seems most people got to work and the other employee from Butler Co is going to try to make it by noon - she lives right off of Rt 4. My supervisor (who I talked to) came in from Lebanon and didn't have too much of a problem. He said that it's up to me and that the county had a reason to make it a Level 2.

I hate this! :bang: Makes me look like a snow wimp - if I do stay home it will be the first time since I worked there that I didn't come in because of the weather - 8 years.

I wish I knew what the weather was going to be like this evening - I just don't want to spend another 3 hours trying to get home...:angry:

SunDeck
02-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Things are shutting down in Bloomington. Here's a tidbit about the collective IQ of my fellow Hoosiers. From the Herald Times:

Don't call 911 for road information

By Marcela Creps
331-4375 | mcreps@heraldt.com
February 13, 2007

Worried about road conditions before you head out the door?

Whatever you do, don’t call 911.

Bloomington and Indiana State police are urging motorists to not call city, county or state police dispatch centers to ask about road and weather conditions.

“We would urge you not to call 911 unless you have a true emergency,” said Bloomington Police Sgt. Jeff Canada.

During the last blast of wintry weather, Canada said dispatchers fielded a number of calls from people wanting to know about road conditions. During inclement weather, dispatchers are typically handling a high volume of accident calls as well as other emergency calls.

ISP recommends motorists call its recorded statewide road and weather information recording, which is updated every six hours.

To check weather conditions, call 800-261-7623 and follow the voice prompts. Information is also available on the ISP Web site, www.in.gov/isp/. Look on the left rail for the link “Road/Weather” to find the same information.

GAC
02-13-2007, 08:36 AM
No work for me today!

How is that different from your regular schedule? :mooner:

I just got home. A 35 minute drive took me 1 1/2 hrs. Driving from Anna (where the plant is) to outside Bellefontaine, I have to take several boonie township roads that are quite treacherous. The drifting is really bad and going to get worse. A heard that a few counties up this way are under blizzard conditions.

My 11 yr old called me on my cell to tell me school was canceled and that it is really bad outside. I said "Son, your Dad realizes this since I AM CURRENTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF IT TRYING TO GET HOME!!!"

I can't believe my wife went to work. I hope they send them home early because the worst of it is yet to come. I know I won't be going in tonight. My driveway is already drifting bad. I just called my buddy who makes a bundle during weather like this plowing driveways and such. He said he'd hit mine later after lunch.

GAC
02-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I wish I knew what the weather was going to be like this evening - I just don't want to spend another 3 hours trying to get home...:angry:

From the weather reports I've been listening to this morning, the worst is yet to come Kitty. Now down your way you may not get the accumulation of snow, but more sleet and ice.

But you're better of staying home Kitty. You're no snow wimp for using common sense.

TeamCasey
02-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, crap! Just called into work and it seems most people got to work and the other employee from Butler Co is going to try to make it by noon - she lives right off of Rt 4. My supervisor (who I talked to) came in from Lebanon and didn't have too much of a problem. He said that it's up to me and that the county had a reason to make it a Level 2.

I hate this! :bang: Makes me look like a snow wimp - if I do stay home it will be the first time since I worked there that I didn't come in because of the weather - 8 years.

That's exactly my quandry. It's traffic later that I don't want to deal with.

Chip R
02-13-2007, 08:48 AM
How is that different from your regular schedule? :mooner:

Ah, why don't you go climb a tree and fall down out of it again.

creek14
02-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Wright Patterson is closed today. :party: :party:

Only *mission essential* have to report.

I'm mission essential. :cry: :angry:

Came in at 0530 so the night guys could get out of here before it got too bad. Now my hope is that they can get back in at 1900 so I can at least try to get home tonight. :pray:

GAC
02-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Ah, why don't you go climb a tree and fall down out of it again.

I'd have to shovel a path out to it first! :mooner:

savafan
02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Work wants me to come in...my car keeps dying though. I don't believe it's worth the $8.86 an hour to risk my life when I have 90+ hours of vacation that I can use up...but when you work with the mentally handicapped, then someone has to be there to take care of them. Still, I was the one that got snowed in last week for 25.75 straight hours, so I'm trying really hard to not feel bad about sticking someone else with my shift today.

Yachtzee
02-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow. It looks like we might get hit pretty hard up here. The University of Akron cancelled all classes after 3:00 pm. The universities up here never cancel classes.

MrCinatit
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Wright Patterson is closed today. :party: :party:

Only *mission essential* have to report.

I'm mission essential. :cry: :angry:

Came in at 0530 so the night guys could get out of here before it got too bad. Now my hope is that they can get back in at 1900 so I can at least try to get home tonight. :pray:

Did the guy call you again this time to remind you that you are "mission essential"?

Piqua is getting nailed pretty well today, with some nice 30 MPH winds.
That said, I would be very, very, very, very shocked if they told us not to come in tonight. I mean, it is retail. So, I will be taking my half hour walk into work tonight, mainly because I am the most stubborn bastard on the face of the earth.

Yachtzee
02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Just got an update. We may be looking at up to 22 inches by tomorrow morning. Not that I was planning on going anywhere, as I'm home sick with strep throat.

Heath
02-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Just got an update. We may be looking at up to 22 inches by tomorrow morning. Not that I was planning on going anywhere, as I'm home sick with strep throat.

For those of you tuning in, Yachtz lives up in the Northern Akron Area.

We have about 5 inches here in Northern Montgomery County. We are getting some freezing rain now, but it's mixing with snow.

Should be interesting tonight.

KronoRed
02-13-2007, 01:01 PM
I just spent about 20 mins shoveling slushy snow around and now it looks like I did nothing.

I love winter :D

Ltlabner
02-13-2007, 01:11 PM
For those of you tuning in, Yachtz lives up in the Northern Akron Area.

We have about 5 inches here in Northern Montgomery County. We are getting some freezing rain now, but it's mixing with snow.

Should be interesting tonight.

In Milford (east side of Cincy) and we are getting a steady rain that is quickly freezing as it lands on things. The snow looks ultra-slushy, wet and heavy (ie. generally crappy). That is, this is what is was doing 10 minutes ago outside my front door.

NYMoose
02-13-2007, 01:14 PM
We are expecting 1 to 2 feet in northern New York. Possible blizzard conditions Wednesday thru Thursday :thumbup:

Buckeye33
02-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Here in Columbus it has turned to pure freezing rain. I went out to brush the 7 inches of snow off the cars and by the time I was done (took about 10 minutes) there was at least a 1/4 inch of ice on the windows.

I work an essential state job for ODMH and I have to be there at 10:30 tonight. I should call and see if they're paying the $8/hr extra for weather emergencies.

It's only going to get worse.

zombie-a-go-go
02-13-2007, 01:24 PM
People here are weak. My office is something like 90% empty because people were too scared of the road conditions. Which aren't treacherous at all to those people capable of not driving like Mario Andretti with cataracts. Which, I suppose, explains why so many people in this neck of the proverbial wood seem to be wrecking their Acuras and Lexii all over the place. Leadfooted self-entitled morons.

I kinda wish I'd begged off too, though. Darn you, useless machismo! Darn you straight to Heck!

BoydsOfSummer
02-13-2007, 02:35 PM
White Death saved me from a 3 hour chemistry class this morning. Yay!

creek14
02-13-2007, 02:37 PM
You people are not giving me hope that I will get out of here tonight.

Can anyone tell me what it's like in Dayton now? We don't have windows in this building and I am about a 5 minute walk (limp) from the front door.

And no, MrC, I didn't get a call this time. I think they learned their lesson. :p: :cool: :ughmamoru

Matt700wlw
02-13-2007, 02:38 PM
It's smuddy out there....a snowy mud.

Yuck.

This sucks.

Red Leader
02-13-2007, 02:40 PM
You people are not giving me hope that I will get out of here tonight.

Can anyone tell me what it's like in Dayton now? We don't have windows in this building and I am about a 5 minute walk (limp) from the front door.

And no, MrC, I didn't get a call this time. I think they learned their lesson. :p: :cool: :ughmamoru

Dunno what to tell you creek. I'm downtown. It's been snowing / sleeting for awhile now. Not many people on the roads. Haven't seen anybody have trouble on the roads so far, but not many cars attempting it (small sample size). I talked to my wife in Centerville. She said that there's probably 1-2" of ice on her car. Said she couldn't get into her car if she wanted to. Until I get out there and actually drive in it, I can't really tell you what its like. I probably won't be driving in it until 5:30-6pm.

creek14
02-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks RL. The ice part fills me with abject terror. The Big Fall of '01 was due to a sheet of ice. Maybe it would be better to be stuck here all night after all...

creek14
02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Well I sounded the ice alarm and two of our guys went out to investigate. The word is there is at least 3" of ice on the cars here in the lot and no one can get their car doors open.

I blame Mrs. Red Leader. And Bob Boone.

Now we are all wondering even if the night guys make it in, what are we going to find in this building to use to chisel our way into our cars?

I love Ohio.

Red Leader
02-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Well I sounded the ice alarm and two of our guys went out to investigate. The word is there is at least 3" of ice on the cars here in the lot and no one can get their car doors open.

I blame Mrs. Red Leader. And Bob Boone.

Now we are all wondering even if the night guys make it in, what are we going to find in this building to use to chisel our way into our cars?

I love Ohio.

Hey, if it wasn't for Mrs. RL, you'd be looking at 4" of ice on the cars. Doesn't paint have a hair dryer there? And an extension cord?

I thought that building was filled with a bunch of MacGyver's, what gives?

Maybe you can pry an alien out of a hangar and have him melt the ice.

Reds4Life
02-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Me thinks many things will be closed tomorrow around Cincinnati, here on the west side it's nothing but straight freezing rain. A few of the trees around here are finally starting to give way and bust limbs off.

minus5
02-13-2007, 03:12 PM
The temps are supposed to drop like crazy down to around 10 tonight so when all the wetness/slush freezes hard as rock...we have more fun tomorrow. I love the non-committal forcast for snowfall tonight by the Cincinnati Enquirer, "accumulations of 2"-8". Yeah, that narrows it down.

creek14
02-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Hey, if it wasn't for Mrs. RL, you'd be looking at 4" of ice on the cars. Doesn't paint have a hair dryer there? And an extension cord?

I thought that building was filled with a bunch of MacGyver's, what gives?

Maybe you can pry an alien out of a hangar and have him melt the ice.

Are you telling me that Mrs. RL is going to come over and shield our cars from the weather? Wow, what a great thing for her to do!!

Paint is so hot, his hair dries from his body heat alone.

This building is filled with engineers, rocket scientists, and intel geeks, 99% of whom are home today. If they were all here, we'd really be in trouble.

Ltlabner
02-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Me thinks many things will be closed tomorrow around Cincinnati, here on the west side it's nothing but straight freezing rain. A few of the trees around here are finally starting to give way and bust limbs off.

Still a steady drizzle on the east side of town also. The trees and telephone/electric wires have a pretty heavy coating of ice right now. Can't wait to see what happens when the temps drop and all this muck freezes.

Wonder if my snowblower will clean up the snow/slush/water mess on my driveway when I go out later?

TeamCasey
02-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Bigger branches coming down now. Always in the driveway. Grrrrrr. I don't want to go out in this mess to move them.

HBP
02-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I just moved from Dayton less than two months ago. Can't say I miss this:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7948/daytonfr1.png

Yachtzee
02-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Are you telling me that Mrs. RL is going to come over and shield our cars from the weather? Wow, what a great thing for her to do!!

This building is filled with engineers, rocket scientists, and intel geeks, 99% of whom are home today. If they were all here, we'd really be in trouble.

No one has any airplane de-icer around? :)

Matt700wlw
02-13-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm a little worried about the tree branch that was laying on one of my power lines when I left the house earlier.

That's never a good thing.

Red Leader
02-13-2007, 04:02 PM

Ok, after reading that other thread, I've come up with a solution.

Buy everyone you work with beer. Let them drink and drink heavily.

Then, after everybody is good and sloshed up, they can pee on your door handles, windshield and mirrors. That ought to melt the ice.

Your welcome.

KittyDuran
02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Ewww....:runawaycr

HumnHilghtFreel
02-13-2007, 04:17 PM
From snow springs opportunity. I've made about 200 bucks today shoveling neighbors' driveways.

Red Leader
02-13-2007, 04:22 PM
From snow springs opportunity. I've made about 200 bucks today shoveling neighbors' driveways.

If you would have been drinking the whole time, you could have made more helping creek out of her dilemma.

TeamCasey
02-13-2007, 04:28 PM
This happened near us.

Tree falls on girl.

Police on the scene told 9News crews that the 9 year old little girl was walking her dog near her house when the tree fell on her.

Full CPR was being administered on the way to the Children's Hospital.

The girl's current condition is unknown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original story posted @ 2/13/2007 2:29:13 PM
There is a report of a female child trapped under a tree at a residence located at 300 block of Fieldcrest Lane in Clermont County's Miami Township.

It is unclear how old the child is or how serious her injuries are at this point.

9News has a crew headed to the scene.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-13-2007, 04:30 PM
If you would have been drinking the whole time, you could have made more helping creek out of her dilemma.

I might have to get to work on it now:laugh:

Red Leader
02-13-2007, 04:33 PM
That's awful to hear, TC. Prayers for the girl and her family.

Yachtzee
02-13-2007, 04:38 PM
This happened near us.

Tree falls on girl.

Police on the scene told 9News crews that the 9 year old little girl was walking her dog near her house when the tree fell on her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a report of a female child trapped under a tree at a residence located at 300 block of Fieldcrest Lane in Clermont County's Miami Township.

It is unclear how old the child is or how serious her injuries are at this point.

Very scary. I hope she comes out okay.

Yachtzee
02-13-2007, 04:43 PM
I just cleared a good 4-6 inches off of the driveway. By the time I was finished doing the sidewalks, the driveway already had another 1/2 inch. It's a very fine powder up here, north of Akron. Great if you're a skier.

Roy Tucker
02-13-2007, 04:45 PM
I just drove my daughter to work. Roads aren't terrible but they ain't great either. Exercise all due caution and you should be OK. Lots of limbs and trees down. Snider Rd was blocked by a fallen tree near us.

For those of you downtown Cinci, I heard on WLW that power lines are down on I-75 between I-74 and Mitchell. North and southbound lanes are shut down.

KittyDuran
02-13-2007, 05:30 PM
This happened near us.

Tree falls on girl.

The little girl died... :(

MIAMI TOWNSHIP -- A young girl walking her dog died this afternoon after an ice-laden tree branch fell on her, Miami Township fire officials in Clermont County said.

Natalie Fossier, 9, was walking her dog in the 300 block of Fieldcrest Lane about 2:20 p.m. when the branch fell, taking several other branches and a cable line with it, said fire chief Jim Whitworth.

A neighbor heard the girl’s scream and ran outside, where she found the girl pinned under the branch. The neighbor performed CPR on the girl, who did not have a pulse and was not breathing, Whitworth said.

When emergency officials arrived, they attempted to resuscitate the girl but could not. She was taken to Bethesda North Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

TeamCasey
02-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Our power keeps fluctuating. TB and I picked up the fallen limbs in the driveway. I cut the low hanging ones. I would've snapped them with the car in the morning.

My neighbor lost the top of her magnolia tree and many of her pine branches. I tried to drag them away, but they weigh a ton. Got them stacked up at least.

We live in a wooded area. It's eerie listening to the limbs snap out in the woods. Dead quiet than all of a sudden ..... KAPOW!

pedro
02-13-2007, 06:31 PM
That's very sad Kitty.

dman
02-13-2007, 07:18 PM
We didn't fly today for obvious reasons, and likely won't fly until well into next week if ODOT doesn't get the berms cleared off to where we can see our hash marks to check speeds from the air.

That said, today was like old times. I have to go out and work the road when it's not flyable and what a treat today was. Going down to I-71 near exit 75 to check for a car in the ditch, then back to 71 near exit 94 for the same. From there I went back to nearly exit 75 and then up to milepost 82 just south of State Route 56. From there I went over to I-270 near Alum Creek Drive for a car over an embankment and then back to 71 near milepost 89. By this time I was heading home and stumbled upon somebody that actually had damage to their vehicle and had to hang paper on them.

At least days like these most drivers won't have to worry about getting a ticket from me unless you crash your vehicle.

Razor Shines
02-13-2007, 07:27 PM
We're getting snow dumped on us right now, and we've already got about 8-10 inches down. Even malls this afternoon here. A guy I work with called me and he said he is stuck in a hotel in Ft. Wayne, IN and has no food. He said that up there if they catch you driving at all you will get a ticket.

Super_Barry11
02-13-2007, 08:26 PM
I hope everyone is staying safe and warm!!!

That said, would you all hate me if I told you that I'm going to Hawaii tomorrow for five days? :evil:

TeamMorris
02-13-2007, 08:29 PM
The little girl who died went to my sons school.

Received this email from the principal around 7:00:

Dear McCormick Family,

It is with great sadness that we inform you of the passing of fourth grade student, Natalie Fossier today. Natalie died as a result of injuries sustained when a limb fell on her as she walked her dog near her home this afternoon.

Natalie will be remembered as a sweet sincere girl whose smile was unforgettable. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Fossier Family and to Natalie's classmates, friends, neighbors, and teachers during this time of immense loss.

Grief counselors will be at school in the morning or on Thursday morning in the event we do not attend on Wednesday. Counselors will be available to meet with any student or faculty member. It would be best for families to discuss this loss prior to returning to school. This will help to reassure your child in this difficult time.

We will pass along information regarding services for Natalie when they are determined.

Donald Baker
McCormick Principal

Very, very sad:cry:

Matt700wlw
02-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Very sad.

Makes me hate this weather even more.

reds1869
02-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Very sad. I teach at St. Andrew in Milford and we have lots of kids from that area. I'm sure I teach some children who knew her.

paintmered
02-13-2007, 09:10 PM

Well, there's always some good food waiting for you at the canteen. Oh wait....

Eh, that building isn't missing my presence.

Very tragic news about the girl. :(

harangatang
02-13-2007, 09:22 PM
I heard from my parents who live in SE Indiana and they have no power and there are numerous trees and power lines down. Where I live in East Central Indiana we have a blizzard with 4+ feet snow drifts and it's still going. I read some of the messages earlier in the thread criticizing all the Winter Storm Watches and Warnings issued but I hope people realize that there is justification for issuing plenty of warning. Unfortunately I'm sure there are people all across Indiana and Ohio who didn't prepare properly. There are positives which can come from all of this such as people taking action next time something like this comes in. Since Hurricane Katrina people have payed more attention to the weather but sometimes it takes a personal experience.

acredsfan
02-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I live in Mt. Washington, if anybody knows where that is. it's actually inside the Cincy city limits out by Anderson. Anyway, I attempted to go sledding with a couple of my roommates and let me just say, we walked to the hill and everything was covered in ice, from roads to trees. Then we got to the hill and each went down once, what a mistake. At the bottom there was still some slush and the hill was all ice, my sled which is designed to stay facing frontwards was spinning and I smacked the crap out of my surgically repaired shoulder... Let me just say, we are not winning any awards for smart moves of the year. We came back soaked and sore. Even a 21 year old butt can't take a beating like that from an icy hill. White death is upon us people.... ok, maybe not "white" death, more like Crystal Death. In conclusion I leave you with these words of wisdom, if the glove don't fit, you must have quit... oh, and ladies, there is nothing worse as a man than having to pee when your hands are frozen. Here's to a car in every garage and a urinal in every bathroom. Peace out.

GAC
02-13-2007, 11:35 PM
My wife works 1st shift for a Honda affiliate. They came around at 11 AM and told them it was really getting bad outside and they were going to shut all Honda plants down at 1 PM and send people home.

If they knew it was already bad outside, and the forecaast said it was going to get worse as the day went on, why work them another two hours MORONS!!!

They have already canceled school tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure that my wife won't have to go to work in the morning either. I'm looking out the window and it is blowing/drifting really bad up around here. When I look out over my backyard, the snow, being blown by the wind, looks like ocean waves moving.

I already went out this afternoon and dug out in front of the garage so I could get the wife's van in before the ice hit. I see where it's already drifted halfway up in front of the garage door and about halfway out into our driveway. It's gonna be a rough Wednesday trying to get dug out.

Yachtzee
02-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Up here, they've cancelled classes at the local universities tomorrow. As Heath and Red Leader can probably tell you, Akron and Kent rarely ever cancel classes.

dougdirt
02-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Well, it thwarted some Valentines Day plans I had.... not that happy about it. However, I just had to change the plans and I think in the end, it may have come off better than the original idea, so maybe it was a good thing. We will see.

Caseyfan21
02-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Up here, they've cancelled classes at the local universities tomorrow. As Heath and Red Leader can probably tell you, Akron and Kent rarely ever cancel classes.

Tell them to call OSU. Thanks.

We got off at 1:30 today (Tuesday) but that really didn't help me too much. All I'm asking for is a delay till maybe 11 am tomorrow. Odds of that are slim to none though. I heard OSU canceling today was the first time in 11 years. Not sure how true that is, just the rumor that was going around.

Caseyfan21
02-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Yes, full snow day! :jump:

HumnHilghtFreel
02-14-2007, 07:56 AM
I took some pictures this morning while the snow was still undisturbed because I thought it was a pretty scene. They're on my phone though, so the quality isn't that good.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/tokenblckgy/Image001.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/tokenblckgy/Image000-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/tokenblckgy/Image002.jpg

Heath
02-14-2007, 09:22 AM

Wow. Dick Goddard's floored.

We had one snow day at Akron U when I was there. One. It was the Friday before Presidents Day. I got out of a Psychology test. Now, you have to understand that this is a suitcase/communter college. Everyone but me, one roomate, and the law students stuck around. (Actually, there were more, but I like being dramatic.)

The scene of freshman boys screaming at parents so they could pick them up to get cozy with their girlfriends was funny.

vaticanplum
02-14-2007, 10:03 AM
I survived White Death, but my power did not. It's been off since about 5 yesterday afternoon. I kept waiting for it to come back on so I didn't go anywhere, then around 10 pm the freezing rain was really coming down so I had to stay put. It was very, very cold, but not bad apart from that. I spent a few hours shoveling driveways on the street and salting them so they would not be so bad in the morning, thus I felt very manly for awhile, then went inside and read Jane Austen by candlelight. Hott.

However the novelty has worn off and I really, really hope they get it fixed today. As it turns out my grandparents out in the country were without power too, which really makes me angry. They live in a condo complex full of old people (my grandpa is almost 90 himself) and I would think it's very dangerous to have that many elderly people without heat all night. Theirs is back on now, though.

Still, hearing some other stories on this board I guess we were pretty lucky.

Larkin Fan
02-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Tell them to call OSU. Thanks.

We got off at 1:30 today (Tuesday) but that really didn't help me too much. All I'm asking for is a delay till maybe 11 am tomorrow. Odds of that are slim to none though. I heard OSU canceling today was the first time in 11 years. Not sure how true that is, just the rumor that was going around.

No, they cancelled for one day about three years ago. However, that was the first time they had cancelled classes since the blizzard of '78.

I'm happy. I have two mid-terms that are being pushing back now. :)

wally post
02-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Larkin Fan - I'm really happy to hear about you. I don't follow the board here terribly close, but it seemed to me you've been too busy to hang out.
Hope you are doing well - and good luck with your studies!
Wally

(And there's some snow in NYC! :D Looks beautiful!)

Caseyfan21
02-14-2007, 10:59 AM
No, they cancelled for one day about three years ago. However, that was the first time they had cancelled classes since the blizzard of '78.

I'm happy. I have two mid-terms that are being pushing back now. :)

Wow, good to know the truth. I had heard that rumored as well. I was supposed to have a lab this morning but that's down the drain. So happy because Wednesday is easily my longest and hardest day of the week.

NYMoose
02-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Our power keeps fluctuating. TB and I picked up the fallen limbs in the driveway. I cut the low hanging ones. I would've snapped them with the car in the morning.

My neighbor lost the top of her magnolia tree and many of her pine branches. I tried to drag them away, but they weigh a ton. Got them stacked up at least.

We live in a wooded area. It's eerie listening to the limbs snap out in the woods. Dead quiet than all of a sudden ..... KAPOW!

We had an ice storm in January 1998. We had no power for 14 days, no phone service for over 1 month. It really makes you appreciate the services that you have. After the 3 inches of ice, the temps went below zero for a week. It was not a fun time.

Outshined_One
02-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Yes, full snow day! :jump:

Ditto for Case Western. :D

Heath
02-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Ditto for Case Western. :D

Good day to go grab some girls at Ursuline and go sledding.

Matt700wlw
02-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm glad I was able to go home last night....wasn't the smoothest drive, but wasn't as bad as it could have been....I didn't feel the car slip at all, which is good.

Glad I had power...and I assume it stayed on the whole time, because my computer was still on.

Of course, we're not out of the woods yet....the trees are still icy, and the wind is still going to be heavy. :pray:

I hope eveybody who hasn't been so fortunate is getting throught this ok. Duke Energy is working around the clock to get everybody back up and running as soon as possible...just hang with them.

I hate winter.

Super_Barry11
02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Good day to go grab some girls at Ursuline and go sledding.

What's wrong with the girls at Case? :dunno:

vaticanplum
02-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Estimated time of power: Friday night. "We can't promise that, though."

I've decamped. A bachelorette pad with frost inside the windows really puts a cramp in my shizzle. Yo.

Matt700wlw
02-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Estimated time of power: Friday night. "We can't promise that, though."

I've decamped. A bachelorette pad with frost inside the windows really puts a cramp in my shizzle. Yo.

That sucks. Can't you stay somewere?

vaticanplum
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I'm out. I'll be taking full advantage of cable TV, living the good life.

Matt700wlw
02-14-2007, 03:54 PM
That's good.

Heath
02-14-2007, 04:05 PM

Whoops. Sorry. I forgot you went to Case. :redface:

Krono, make me an egg-faced smilie, please. Stat.

This would be the obligatory remark, that if you were at Case, when my buddies went to Case, I would have mentioned Case. But, that could be construed as shallow.

Please accept my apology. Thanks :D

I had gone to CWRU a few times and the guys would pile in a couple of cars and go over to Ursiline. Lots of high school connections over there between those two schools and Mt. Notre Dame.

I never met a Case girl. Never. Until Now. :bang:

Super_Barry11
02-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Whoops. Sorry. I forgot you went to Case. :redface:

Krono, make me an egg-faced smilie, please. Stat.

This would be the obligatory remark, that if you were at Case, when my buddies went to Case, I would have mentioned Case. But, that could be construed as shallow.

Please accept my apology. Thanks :D

I had gone to CWRU a few times and the guys would pile in a couple of cars and go over to Ursiline. Lots of high school connections over there between those two schools and Mt. Notre Dame.

I never met a Case girl. Never. Until Now. :bang:

No worries, I was just teasing. I'm well aware of the reputation that Case girls have, which I never thought was completely fair. In my opinion, the guys are pretty dorky too. :p: I hung out with a pretty social crowd in college, so I tend to forget about those that don't get out as much. I think that the general atmosphere at Case is getting more and more social, so that's a step in the right direction. :thumbup:

Anyway, I'm about to head to the airport to fly to Hawaii with my boyfriend, so there's not much that can upset me right now. :D

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!! Stay warm!!!

Heath
02-14-2007, 04:44 PM
No worries, I was just teasing. I'm well aware of the reputation that Case girls have, which I never thought was completely fair. In my opinion, the guys are pretty dorky too. :p: I hung out with a pretty social crowd in college, so I tend to forget about those that don't get out as much. I think that the general atmosphere at Case is getting more and more social, so that's a step in the right direction. :thumbup:

Anyway, I'm about to head to the airport to fly to Hawaii with my boyfriend, so there's not much that can upset me right now. :D

Going to Hawaii with your significant other while your alma mater is buried in snow would probably do it for me too.

SunDeck
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
I got up and waited for the 5:45 am call on whether we would open or not. That call didn't come until 6:45 (I think my boss misunderstood her position in the closing routine) and I had to hustle to make sure my people all got a call before they tried to head out the door.

But I got a day off, so I'm not complainin'.

Roy Tucker
02-14-2007, 04:54 PM

Hey SB_11, don't be such a stranger. We miss you over in the thread.

Have a good time.

Ltlabner
02-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Well, we were crusing right along (in fact I just made a post on RZ) and the power went out last night around 7:00pm. Still isn't back on. Duke says maybe tomorow night, possibly Friday.

We toughed it out last night. (actually it wasn't too bad) but tonight we came over to my parents house to spend the night. Of course one of the first things I had to do was jump online and check in with RZ. Yes, I'm a dork.

We had lots of big branches down and a real mess in the back yard. So far, no signicant damage fortunatley.

BoydsOfSummer
02-14-2007, 06:11 PM

She can stay with me! :D

BoydsOfSummer
02-14-2007, 06:12 PM

All the good ones have graduated. :D

Yachtzee
02-14-2007, 06:48 PM

The one (former) Case girl I know of seems pretty cool. ;) But then, as the Red Hot Chili Peppers say, "Catholic School Girls Rule!" :)

Heath
02-14-2007, 09:31 PM
She can stay with me! :D

Please. We like her around here. :D

TeamBoone
02-14-2007, 11:03 PM
I just saw on the news that crews from all over the place arrived this afternoon to help Duke Energy... one was as far away as North Carolina.

They have set up what they call "warm" shelters for those whose homes are too cold to be in. Vatican, is their one near you? If you could call one of the tv stations, they can probably tell you.

SunDeck
02-15-2007, 08:39 AM
I just saw on the news that crews from all over the place arrived this afternoon to help Duke Energy... one was as far away as North Carolina.

They have set up what they call "warm" shelters for those whose homes are too cold to be in. Vatican, is their one near you? If you could call one of the tv stations, they can probably tell you.
That's funny- Duke is based in North Carolina...
Anyway, that's pretty standard. All the energy companies have mutual aid agreements in situations like this. Last summer we had a storm knock down hundreds of trees in Bloomington and there were guys working on my street from South Carolina the next day.

Red Leader
02-15-2007, 10:31 AM

I also had 1 snow day the entire decade I was at Kent. Well, official snow days where the school actually cancels class, at least. ;)

It happened my freshman year at Kent. October was unseasonably warm that year. It was 50+ degrees the whole month of October, which I later learned was pretty rare. It was 40-50 degrees the first week of November and then BAM! It started snowing on a Tuesday night around 7pm. By the time I woke up on Wednesday morning there was 16" of snow on the ground. It didn't stop snowing until Friday morning and we had 27" of snow total. I had never seen such storms. I got real good at playing Tetris that week.

MrCinatit
02-15-2007, 10:39 AM
We had a snow day in my third year at BGSU about 15 years ago.
Funny thing is, we - the students - were not informed of it until after all of us had shown up for class. And because the instructor was always late anyhow, no one had suspected a thing.
That's a bunch of journalism students for you.

westofyou
02-15-2007, 11:08 AM
I also had 1 snow day the entire decade I was at Kent. Well, official snow days where the school actually cancels class, at least
At Santa Cruz we got off a whole week in 1989 once.

Roy Tucker
02-15-2007, 11:16 AM
At Santa Cruz we got off a whole week in 1989 once.

Was that the year of the bumper gold bud crop?

M2
02-15-2007, 12:46 PM
We had an ice storm in January 1998. We had no power for 14 days, no phone service for over 1 month. It really makes you appreciate the services that you have. After the 3 inches of ice, the temps went below zero for a week. It was not a fun time.

I remember seeing pictures from that one. Craziest thing I've ever seen, supposedly it made everything bulletproof for two weeks. Though, of all the wild images, the collapsing electrical towers were the ones that stood out for me:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/1696/icestorm23gm.jpg

KronoRed
02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Everyone see the video of the jack knifing FedEx truck taking out 2 cars?
http://video.ap.org/v/en-ap/v.htm?g=AF96FD8A-A441-40B9-A203-C70B7495D1B3&t=s60&p=ENAPus_ENAPus&&f=OHCIN

Amazing no one was hurt.

Red Leader
02-15-2007, 01:18 PM
For the life of me, I can't figure out how no one was hurt in that accident. Where were the people if they weren't right there with the car?

KronoRed
02-15-2007, 01:22 PM
The story
http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070215/NEWS0103/702150367

Brave dude.

KittyDuran
02-15-2007, 01:24 PM
'We heard a big BAM!'
Woman pulled from semi's path
BY AMANDA VAN BENSCHOTEN | AVANBENSCHOTEN@NKY.COM
http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070215/NEWS0103/702150367

ERLANGER - All in the line of duty. WATCH THE AMAZING VIDEO
• Raw cruiser cam from the accident.

That's the impression Erlanger Police Officer Bill Allen gives when he talks about saving a life Tuesday night on sleet-covered Interstate 75.

It was dark. It was icy. And he pulled a driver from the path of a truck sliding toward them during a chain-reaction crash.

"Officer Eagler and I pretty much grabbed her and pulled her over the (median) wall," Allen says, referring to fellow Officer Doug Eagler. The driver, 20-year-old Ashley Walker of Cincinnati, was treated by paramedics on the scene, where snow and freezing rain had created hazardous conditions. The officers were not injured.

The video camera in the police cruiser shows an out-of-control tractor-trailer smashing Walker's car into a police car.

The officers' quick thinking "saved her life" said Kenton County Sheriff's Deputy George Russell, who investigated the accident.

"I would not have survived if it weren't for them," said Walker, who saw her mangled car for the first time Wednesday. "They saved my life. I wouldn't have made it if I was in that car. They did the most important thing you can do for another person."

Allen, an eight-year veteran of the Erlanger department, started his shift at 7 p.m. and knew he was in for a hectic night.

In the first 30 minutes of work, Allen was in the middle of a wreck that demolished three vehicles and damaged a truck.

Allen and Eagler had headed out on the report of a car accident with injuries in the high-speed lane on northbound I-75 in Erlanger, without time to switch from their cruiser to one of the department's four-wheel-drive vehicles.

The interstate "was a solid sheet of ice," Allen said.

"As I pulled up and hit my brakes, I was sliding down the road," Allen said. "It was pretty much a skating rink."

He managed to stop the cruiser on the side of the road.

"Probably within a minute or so, my vehicle was rear-ended by a vehicle," Allen said. "Within seconds, that vehicle was hit by another vehicle."

The officers began checking on Walker, who had hit their cruiser, when a Fed-Ex tractor-trailer jackknifed and began sliding toward them. That's when they grabbed her and headed over the median.

"They threw me in the snow on the median," Walker said. "Then we heard a big BAM! Then someone screamed, 'Another one's coming!' "

They all leaped over the median before the oncoming vehicles could harm them.

"I owe my life to them," Walker said. "It's nice knowing there are people out there that would save another person's life."

The other drivers also had only minor injuries and were treated by paramedics on the scene.

"Everybody made it out pretty much unharmed. They were very, very lucky," Allen said.

The scene was cleared quickly, and Allen and Eagler headed back to work. The cruiser, hit once by the car and twice by the tractor-trailer, was totaled, Russell said.

Walker said Wednesday she was sore, but OK.

"I have a burn and a bruise on my leg," she said. "But it could've been so much worse."

Staff writer Ryan Clark contributed.

MrCinatit
02-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Can you imagine being the driver of that truck, wondering when you were going to flip over?
Seemed like that thing slid forever.

vaticanplum
02-16-2007, 03:26 PM

I'm lucky I have family in town. I've been complaining, but honestly, I've just been displaced to my cousin's and have had to stop by every night to check on things and pick up clothes, it's not a huge deal. There are people on my street with little kids, pets having to go to friends' or hotels etc...one guy has stayed there because he has no family in town doesn't want to take his dog to a shelter. I can't tell you how cold and how DARK it is. Really, it's troublesome even seeing anything outside at night due to the lack of streetlight, let alone inside.

Where are these North Carolina people and what do they have against my street? I really hope it gets fixed tonight or tomorrow...I'd like to see some of my place during the weekend...

vaticanplum
02-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I have power!!!! :jump:

The house is still pretty cold, but I've drained the radiators three times and it's starting to warm up. I just can't believe that when I flip a switch, a light goes on. I did it with every light switch I have last night. Felt like Thomas Edison.

The only lingering effects I hadn't thought of:

1. My one surviving plant did not weather this well (no pun intended). It never even occurred to me to bring him with me, and he looks incredibly sad having sat in the cold for four days. Droopy and turning brown. He's the only plant I've ever managed to keep alive for more than a year and he's been a trooper through three different cities. I'm really hoping I can revive him.

2. There's a frog in my apartment. I swear there is a frog in my apartment. I can't find him but I can hear him. As I approach a corner of my kitchen he shuts up like a cricket. So I think he may be behind the stove but I'm a little nervous to pull it out and find him. I have no idea how/why this happened or what to do about it. Really kind of don't want him to die back there.

Heath
02-17-2007, 01:29 PM
There's a frog in my apartment. I swear there is a frog in my apartment. I can't find him but I can hear him. As I approach a corner of my kitchen he shuts up like a cricket. So I think he may be behind the stove but I'm a little nervous to pull it out and find him. I have no idea how/why this happened or what to do about it. Really kind of don't want him to die back there.

If he dies, just yank the legs up, deep fry'em and call it dinner.

Tastes like chicken, I've been told.

vaticanplum
02-17-2007, 01:30 PM
If he dies, just yank the legs up, deep fry'em and call it dinner.

Tastes like chicken, I've been told.

OMG, gross me out the door.

Heath
02-17-2007, 01:33 PM
OMG, gross me out the door.

You are welcome. Tips are appreciated.

KronoRed
02-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Maybe he thought the place was abandoned and moved his entire family in

;)