PDA

View Full Version : Can we keep Arroyo?

Bigredfan#1
02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
I question if he will re sign with the Reds. His heart is in Boston and if they will take him back then I think he will want to go back, I know things can change. He is a nice compliment to Harang and would be to Harang and Bailey. Put him in between them with his breaking pitches and he could have some great years. I just don't know if we can keep him or not.

AWESOME SIGN OF HARANG. Maybe they are serious about winning!!

Joseph
02-06-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't think his heart is in Boston, he likes Boston sure, but that doesn't mean he only wants to pitch there. Offer him something fair, and I bet he stays.

Bigredfan#1
02-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't think his heart is in Boston, he likes Boston sure, but that doesn't mean he only wants to pitch there. Offer him something fair, and I bet he stays.

I hope you are right!! If his heart isn't in Boston it is because he has changed his mind!

redsgabp
02-06-2007, 06:43 PM
offer him the eric milton money and he will sign.

Heath
02-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I hope we can keep him. I don't know if we kept the reciept.

redsgabp
02-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I hope we can keep him. I don't know if we kept the reciept.

LOL

redsfanmia
02-06-2007, 08:12 PM
offer him the eric milton money and he will sign.

Offer him Milton type money and regret it for years to come. Bronson had a great season last year, if he has another year like that this year make him an offer or trade him. I like Bronson but I wonder if last year was the exception instead of the rule, see Pete Schorek(sp?).

westofyou
02-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Can we keep Arroyo?

Only if you feed him and comb him at least once a week.

AdamDunn
02-06-2007, 08:16 PM
na... just offer him arbitration after his contract is up. He'll probably be a type A free agent or at least a type B... that way we can get a draft pick or get him to accept arbitration, which would allow us to sign him to a lower price than what we could get him at if we were to resign him before his contract is up.

flyer85
02-06-2007, 08:24 PM
once his contract is up he is gone.

redsgabp
02-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Offer him Milton type money and regret it for years to come. Bronson had a great season last year, if he has another year like that this year make him an offer or trade him. I like Bronson but I wonder if last year was the exception instead of the rule, see Pete Schorek(sp?).

I didn't mean offer him 10 mil a year like milton.

Most people (me included) don't think milton will be here next year after his contract is up.

so we will be free of that $10 mil a year.

if Arroyo has another year like last year (or can even go 12 and 10 with a 4 era)
offer him some of the freed up money from milton and sign him another 2 or 3 years.

Arroyo relies on his off speed stuff which is good. he should be able to do as good as last year without to much of a problem.

if Arroyo does good this year, at the end of the season offer him a 2 year extension to his contract for 16 mil (8 mil per season for the 2 more years)

that would be about 5 mil more a season than he made last year.

redsgabp
02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
once his contract is up he is gone.

while i have that feeling myself, but money speaks.

every fitworks gym commercial i see, and last year he did a cincinnati area ford commercial. / so there is some hope of him liking the area and staying if the reds decided to sweeten his contract.

who knows if the reds have some success he might like to stay and see where they can go.

with Harang and bailey he might decide to stay and see if they can bring tradition back to cincinnati!

jojo
02-06-2007, 08:47 PM
In two years, the reds might not want him...

wheels
02-06-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't get myself all gruffed about the stuff he says about Boston, so I don't pay it much mind.

I like the idea of having a top of the heap starter to go along with Harang, so I like the idea of keeping him.

Thing is, when your team has a good starter in their posession, opportunities arrise. If good younger players are offered in trade, Wayne should listen.

As long as everything works out for my club, I'll be happy either way.

Spitball
02-06-2007, 10:05 PM
In two years, the reds might not want him...

They might not, but I wouldn't bet against Arroyo. The guy knows how to set up batters, quickly makes adjustments, and has a good motion. I love to watch him pitch.

Though, what really sold me on Arroyo was when he asked to go on three days rest so he could pitch in the Cardinals series. The guy wants the ball, and he wants to be in there when it is important. That is the way top of the order pitchers should be.

dunner13
02-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Just because he likes boston doesnt mean they will take him back. And lets not forget that he signed for below market value only to be traded, so he may like the city of boston but he may not like their front office as much. In cincinnati he is a hero, in boston hes a swingman/5th starter. So that might help him want to stay as well.

Always Red
02-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Arroyo wants to go back to Boston because they won the Series while he was there; he wants to play for a winner!

Who can blame him?

If the Reds keep making moves like today, signing Harang to a LTC, they'll keep moving in the right direction, and guys like Arroyo will want to play ball here; they'll want to be part of a winning team.

Cincinnati was once the Mecca of MLB; it could be again, with the right smarts in the FO. The fans here are great, and smart; they do not accept BS, but will support a winner until the very end. We set attendance records back in the 70's for a small market team, and would do it again if the right team were put on the field. It doesn't take Yankee money to do that; it takes smarts. I hope WK is that right guy.

Superdude
02-06-2007, 10:34 PM
In cincinnati he is a hero, in boston hes a swingman/5th starter. So that might help him want to stay as well.

I'm sure he wouldn't be a swingman the way he pitched last year. That'd be cool to have him locked up similar to Harang. If Bailey doesn't blow out a shoulder, :bang: (let's call that block wall wood) he should be a legitimate ace towards the back end of Harang's contract. Having a top 3 of Bailey, Harang, and Arroyo for 3 or 4 years would be very sweet.

Caveat Emperor
02-06-2007, 11:47 PM
They might not, but I wouldn't bet against Arroyo. The guy knows how to set up batters, quickly makes adjustments, and has a good motion. I love to watch him pitch.

Watching Arroyo pitch this past year was a true joy -- but lets not lose sight of the fact that this past year was the best year he had ever thrown. If he continues to perform next season, then I'd like to see the Reds approach him about staying longer or get prepared to cut and send him somewhere for a haul of talent in return.

Spitball
02-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Watching Arroyo pitch this past year was a true joy -- but lets not lose sight of the fact that this past year was the best year he had ever thrown. If he continues to perform next season, then I'd like to see the Reds approach him about staying longer or get prepared to cut and send him somewhere for a haul of talent in return.

Uhg...How can Cincinnati fans even bare to think this way anymore? Haven't we watched way too many Claussens, Reitsmas, Bongs, and assorted failed prospects parade through the organization to even entertain such a thought. Hold onto the ones that can pitch and kick the gambling habit. The Pirates traded well for prospescts (see Smiley>Neagle>Schmidt>Vogelsong) but they in effect developed the pitchers and traded them before they could cash in on the talent. That is not the way to ever build an actual contender.

bianchiveloce
02-07-2007, 04:13 AM
A deal similar to Harang's would be nice, but if Arroyo appears to have made his mind up to leave Cincinnati, then I would leave all options open to trading him for some young talent for the future. Better to get something of value while his value is high rather than just seeing him go or his performance takes a down turn.

I would take a wait and see approach with Arroyo. We have him locked up for the 2007 and 2008 seasons. Let him prove that he can repeat last season's performance. By waiting, it may cost us a little bit more money, but that risk may be worth it when looking at his 2005 season.

Who knows, maybe he has changed his mind about leaving Cincinnati after last season.

George Anderson
02-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I think the signing of Harang is huge for more reasons than just the obvious. This signing sends a message to Arroyo that the Reds are serious about winning. I have for a long time felt that while it was obvious Arroyo missed his east coast lifestyle, he missed winning more. Had the Reds not signed Harang to this contract I think no doubt you would have seen Arroyo walk once his contract was up, now I think there is a good chance he will give the Reds a second look.

Unassisted
02-07-2007, 10:58 AM
I think the signing of Harang is huge for more reasons than just the obvious. This signing sends a message to Arroyo that the Reds are serious about winning.

If he's getting messages from the Harang signing, I hope it didn't send him the message that any money that would have been available to sign him is gone now.

Roy Tucker
02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm sure a lot of why Arroyo would want to go back to the Red Sox is due to the euphoria of 2004. That was a once-in-a-lifetime thing and who wouldn't want to stay with that?

But that also was 2004 and this is 2007. You can't capture that kind of magic in a bottle and keep it. Teams have moved on, players have moved on, and the 2004 Red Sox are gone.

If Arroyo pitches at 90% or above of what he did last year, the Reds ought to put the full-court press on to re-sign him for a longer contract. If he won't sign, trade him post-2007 season for something good. If he falls on his face this year, just ride out the contract.

I do find it worth noting that the Reds have gotten their top 2 pitchers from the genius GMs of Billy Beane and Theo Epstein. Either sometimes even pigs find truffles or maybe our GM knows what he's doing every so often.

Johnny Footstool
02-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Only if you feed him and comb him at least once a week.

And fill his jar with fresh leaves every day.

AdamDunn
02-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Can we keep Arroyo? Yes we can!

Matt700wlw
02-08-2007, 06:45 PM
He is unkeepable.

He like Boston too much.

:oops: :D

thatcoolguy_22
02-09-2007, 10:30 AM
:castellini: makes :redszone: fans tilt a :drink: and :jump: hopefully not leaving us :barf: due to all of the excess :all_cohol due to the great signings :fineprint. im not trying to beat a :deadhorse but i'm just :dancingco over this week's moves. god bless :usa: and i love bronson and his :rockband: welcome to :thisyear: :KoolAid:! a handful of days til pitchers and catchers :duel: and victor santos begins to :pray: to make the team.

6 weeks until we are all :censored: about :griffey: in center instead of deno or :freel: and bubba crosby is wearing a :redcap: while someone is explaining to me why :stratton: has his own smiley still...

We are now 18 weeks until :ede: is an allstar along with :harang: and :dunn: leaving me feeling like a :party: and :mooner: everyone who doubted :dunn: this offseason.

this post is stupid

30 months until we reach the offseason leaving us :confused: about why our :pray: went unanswered yet again and no :help: came on the 31st and our heads will :explode: because of debate going into another offseason...

Joseph
02-09-2007, 10:40 AM

I hate to say I told you so.....just kidding.

blumj
02-09-2007, 11:13 AM
:castellini: makes :redszone: fans tilt a :drink: and :jump: hopefully not leaving us :barf: due to all of the excess :all_cohol due to the great signings :fineprint. im not trying to beat a :deadhorse but i'm just :dancingco over this week's moves. god bless :usa: and i love bronson and his :rockband: welcome to :thisyear: :KoolAid:! a handful of days til pitchers and catchers :duel: and victor santos begins to :pray: to make the team.

6 weeks until we are all :censored: about :griffey: in center instead of deno or :freel: and bubba crosby is wearing a :redcap: while someone is explaining to me why :stratton: has his own smiley still...

We are now 18 weeks until :ede: is an allstar along with :harang: and :dunn: leaving me feeling like a :party: and :mooner: everyone who doubted :dunn: this offseason.

this post is stupid

30 months until we reach the offseason leaving us :confused: about why our :pray: went unanswered yet again and no :help: came on the 31st and our heads will :explode: because of debate going into another offseason...

I love this post, but someone's missing, :pena: still hanging around instead of the subject at hand. I bet this one's :duel: not easy to work into a conversation very often.