PDA

View Full Version : Music and Lyrics

Razor Shines
02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I get a lot of passes to advance screenings and I don't always go, but my wife wanted to see "Music and Lyrics" (Hugh Grant, Drew Barrymore) so we went. It opens Valentine's day and I'd have to say I'm glad I didn't spend $17 to go see it. I would recommend renting it, when it comes out, if you have Netflix, Blockbuster's Total Access or a coupon for a free rental.

It has funny moments but the story revolves around the idea that they're supposedly not selling out by not writing a cheesy pop song with ridiculous lyrics, and then the song that they write has ridiculous lyrics, but of course they proclaim Hugh Grant the next Bob Dylan. If you've seen "About a Boy" (which I liked a lot) it's Hugh Grant sort of playing that same role but trying way to hard to be sarcastic and funny and it ends up looking very forced.

I don't know how many were thinking of seeing this, but I hope I saved someone some time and money.

PS - My wife didn't like it either, so it's not just a guy's point of view.

macro
02-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Razor. My wife is a huge Barrymore fan and this one was on her radar. Sounds like we may need to wait and get it on the cheap.

Dom Heffner
02-08-2007, 06:22 PM
This one smelled like a stinker the first time I saw the preview.

Hugh Grant looks ridiculous as a rock star.