PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think could/will be the biggest surprise for the Reds in 2007

fearofpopvol1
02-08-2007, 01:46 PM
at the major league level? Wayne may not be done acquiring players, but if you had to pick at this moment.

Last year, you really could point to Arroyo, Ross, Phillips, Hatteberg or Aurilia. All had pretty strong years and definitely played better than what was projected.

Who do you think it'll be in '07?

For some reason, and admittedly I don't have a lot of info to back it up, but I feel like it'll be Sarloos. I don't know why.

shredda2000
02-08-2007, 01:56 PM
at the major league level? Wayne may not be done acquiring players, but if you had to pick at this moment.

Last year, you really could point to Arroyo, Ross, Phillips, Hatteberg or Aurilia. All had pretty strong years and definitely played better than what was projected.

Who do you think it'll be in '07?

For some reason, and admittedly I don't have a lot of info to back it up, but I feel like it'll be Sarloos. I don't know why.

I am with you that Saarloos will be the biggest surprise...I have this gut feeling...although I did have popcorn late last night...;)

fewfirstchoice
02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
EE break out season.I know poeple expect him to breal out but I think he will really break out.I say 315avg. 32hr and 113 rbis.Also the bounce back of the magic man Gary Majewski.

BRM
02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
I hope it's Saarloos or Santos. That will give the Reds another quality starting pitcher for the rotation.

M2
02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Chris Denorfia

lollipopcurve
02-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Kyle Lohse

BRM
02-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Chris Denorfia

I thought about him but I wasn't sure if he'd be considered a "surprise". I expect him to play well if given the opportunity.

George Anderson
02-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Bray... way to many people have thrown this guy under the buss out of disgust for "the trade". Look at his resume and he is no slouch.

jojo
02-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Here's two things that I think might surprise casual fans in '07: how good Denorfia is (though some still might not recognize .285/.360/.450 with above average defense in centerfield as being anything special...silly them) and how bad Griffey will be...

Red Leader
02-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm going to have to agree with M2. Chris Denorfia. Hopefully he gets the opportunities to prove us right. I also think EE will have a big year like firstfewchoice said.

For my sleeper, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Javier Valentin has sort of a bouce back year as well.

Gainesville Red
02-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm going to avoid predicting anything in this topic like the plague.

Here's my record for the last two years:

Two years ago: D'Angelo Jiminez breakout year.

Last year: Felipe Lopez.

I don't want to be held responsible for breaking any more ballplayers.

FutureRedsGM
02-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Players to surprise:

EE makes the "experts" think twice about calling David Wright the best 3rd baseman in the NL.

Saarloos comes up big posting a 12-7 record with an ERA a hair over 4. Reminds folks of last year's Arroyo pick-up.

Dunn gains all-star status with a .270 BA, 46 HRs, and 112 knocked in.

Players to dissappoint:

B Phil shows a gold glove at 2nd, but REALLY underperforms at the plate.

Arroyo slows down some after his all-star '06.

Tom Servo
02-08-2007, 02:30 PM
If he makes the team and plays better than he has the last two years (easier said than done), Mark Bellhorn can be the new Aurilia.

Cyclone792
02-08-2007, 02:31 PM
It's already been said, but I'll reiterate it:

Chris Denorfia

Put him in center field, and watch him do great things.

bucksfan2
02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Hamilton begins to tear the cover off the ball in spring training that allows the reds to trade Freel for a good prospect

Deno Deno steps in in CF and hits leadoff and puts of good numbers

EE shows that he can hit with the bes of them. Puts up a 30 hr 100 rbi season.

Lohse gets bumped from the rotatoin and ends up in the bullpen as a closer and excels. He realizes that he can just let it rip when only pitching one inning.

BP and Gonzo make a very good double play combo and save the reds pitchers a lot of runs.

Griffey stays healthy.

BRM
02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
It's already been said, but I'll reiterate it:

Chris Denorfia

Put him in center field, and watch him do great things.

While I agree with this wholeheartedly, I just can't see Narron making Deno the everyday centerfielder. I really hope he does but I suspect he'll be backing up Freel and spelling Junior on occasion.

M2
02-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Griffey stays healthy.

Never going to happen.

While I agree with this wholeheartedly, I just can't see Narron making Deno the everyday centerfielder. I really hope he does but I suspect he'll be backing up Freel and spelling Junior on occasion.

I figure that should only keep him on the bench for a few weeks, if that. Jr. or Freel (possibly Jr. and Freel) will go on the shelf and Denorfia will fall into the CF job by default. At that point I figure Deno can do his thing, gain some cult hero status and force the Reds' hand.

BRM
02-08-2007, 03:51 PM
I figure that should only keep him on the bench for a few weeks, if that. Jr. or Freel (possibly Jr. and Freel) will go on the shelf and Denorfia will fall into the CF job by default. At that point I figure Deno can do his thing, gain some cult hero status and force the Reds' hand.

An injury to Junior will be the most likely cause for Deno to get time, although it would likely be playing RF if that happened.

AdamDunn
02-08-2007, 04:08 PM
edwin encarnacion

Benihana
02-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Encarnacion and Bray will be the two best surprises.

Denorfia and David Ross will be the two biggest disappointments.

Will M
02-08-2007, 04:22 PM
My pick:

Lohse realizes that if he can keep his focus for one year he can make lots of money. He goes 15-10 with a 4.1 ERA. Then signs a 4 year $40M contract with the Royals ( and the Reds get 2 draft picks ).

Redleg39
02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm gonna take a chance and say Griffey Jr. Maybe that house accident will account for one of his month long injuries! I really think Griffey will surprise people this year by not getting hurt, and hitting 25-30 dingers

cincy09
02-08-2007, 04:46 PM
My pick:

Lohse realizes that if he can keep his focus for one year he can make lots of money. He goes 15-10 with a 4.1 ERA. Then signs a 4 year $40M contract with the Royals ( and the Reds get 2 draft picks ).

Sounds great!

I see Saarloos and Deno being the biggest surprises this season. I do figure on some regression from Arroyo but Saarloos makes up for it and Bailey slides into the back of the rotation and has success in the second half.

Superdude
02-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Bubba Crosby? :cool:

I'll say Elizardo Ramirez and Matt Belisle. If EZ isn't in the rotation on opening day I'll be pretty mad. I woudln't be surprised to see him put up an ERA in the mid to low 4's next season. I think Belisle would get eaten alive in the rotation, but he's probably got the best stuff on the team and might be a surprising set up guy if he learns to command his curve a little better.

durl
02-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I think EE could be the big surprise, but I'm wondering how Hamilton might work out.

If anything, this thread shows that there is a lot of potential with the Reds this year. It could be a very good 2007.

captainmorgan07
02-08-2007, 11:38 PM
gary majewski turns out to be lights out in the pen and not so many ppl bring up the trade for atleast this year

DannyB
02-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Dunn-when he bunts:laugh:

marcshoe
02-09-2007, 12:00 AM
I think EE really breaks out this year, but I'm not sure that'll be a surprise. I'll say Coffey stepping up and taking the closer's role.

Either that, or the emergence of a 3rd solid starter (Belisle?)

jmcclain19
02-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Kyle Lohse

My pick:

Tip of the cap to both of you for us being on the same page.

I loved the Lohse trade last year. I'm still loving it today.

I think Lohse will be a huge surprise this year.

TexasRed
02-09-2007, 12:22 AM
I am predicting Brandon Phillips is going to bat 300, steal 30 bases and play some killer D.

GADawg
02-09-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm going with Milton seeing as how it's a contract year and all....

Dracodave
02-09-2007, 12:50 AM
Suprises...

Saarloos-> 4.20 era as a starter and assumes the fourth spot in the rotation.
Loshe->With a pitching that will work with the pitcher and get the pitcher to form a game plan 3.85 era, taking over our third spot in the rotation.
Dunn->In the third spot with EDE behind him, comes out and suprises people to the tune of .275/42/110

Dissapointments.
A-Gon->Plays excellent defense but his bat/obp never hits expections..even when set low.
Ross->Bombs at the plate, and plays Mr.Rogers on defense.
Milton->He comes out and pitches league average to the tune of 4.50 era, but is forced to middle relief when Bailey comes up...disspointed? We can't blame him for problems :cry:

jojo
02-09-2007, 01:57 AM
Suprises...

Loshe->With a pitching that will work with the pitcher and get the pitcher to form a game plan 3.85 era, taking over our third spot in the rotation.
Dunn->In the third spot with EDE behind him, comes out and suprises people to the tune of .275/42/110

Dissapointments.
A-Gon->Plays excellent defense but his bat/obp never hits expections..even when set low.
Milton->He comes out and pitches league average to the tune of 4.50 era, but is forced to middle relief when Bailey comes up...disspointed? We can't blame him for problems :cry:

I'm stupified by people's fascinations with Lohse and Saarloos. That being said, league average from Milton would not only not be a dissapointment, it frankly, would force me to have reconstructive surgery on my jaw...

:shocked:

Z-Fly
02-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Suprises...

Dissapointments.

I would suspect if he pitches well in the first half he will be delt. Which I would think would be a good thing. At least we would get something back for struggling through three years of him. :beerme:

PickOff
02-09-2007, 02:38 PM
I'll have to go with EE. His approach at the plate for a guy his age will pay off this year.

BuckeyeRedleg
02-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Todd Coffey.

Dracodave
02-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Honestly, that would be the only dissapoint from Milton at this point..Him actually pitching well..

Who could we make fun of then?

coughSTANTONCONINEcough..:laugh:

Always Red
02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I think EE really breaks out this year, but I'm not sure that'll be a surprise. I'll say Coffey stepping up and taking the closer's role.

Either that, or the emergence of a 3rd solid starter (Belisle?)

I agree it will not be a surprise for EE to break out- for this team to do well, they need EE to have a power year.

My pick is that one of the lesser SP's, either Saarloos, Lohse or even Uncle Milty, steps up and has a fine year, posting 14 wins.

Enrico Pallazzo
02-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Milton=contract year.

WVRedsFan
02-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Encarnacion and Bray will be the two best surprises.

Denorfia and David Ross will be the two biggest disappointments.
For some strange reason, I agree. EdE seems to be primed for a breakout year and Bray, if he is as good as everyone thinks he is, may shine.

I pray that Denorfia has a good year, but I fear he won't. There is probably a very good reason that he's nearly 27 without a major league resume. I have to hope he was just overlooked. I really think David Ross will be the goat of RedsZone by June. His defensive shortcomings were overlooked by almost everyone due to his hitting which stopped in July. He's due to fall to his norm.

kbrake
02-10-2007, 03:28 AM
I would love to say Denorifa, but last time I checked Jerry Narron was still running this team. Sorry Deno.

otto
02-10-2007, 06:36 AM
I'm pumped about Gonzalez/Phillips/Hatteberg turning DPs...

mth123
02-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Who knows really, but I'll take a stab for fun.

The most pleasant surprise comes in Spring Training when Ken Griffey Jr's class rises to the top by willingly moving to RF leaving CF in the past forever.

I'll also go with Elizardo Ramirez who re-emerges as a competent back of the rotation starter (relative to other #4 starter types) with an ERA in the 4.50 area after beginning on the DL in extended spring training. I also think Deno will do well if given the chance and Brandon Phillips will be ok which will surprise many who predict a huge drop-off.

Disappointments are dependent on definition. From an average fan's standpoint a number of the disappointments won't come as a surprise to Redszoners but I'll go with Jeff Conine who will struggle to OPS .700, Scott Hatteberg who will slug less than .400, David Weathers with an ERA that is 5+ and Kyle Lohse who will have an ERA approaching 6.

For Redszoners the disappointment will be Encarnacion who will still be competent (.820 or so OPS) and show promise for the future but will not put up the monster break-out year that many are predicting.

The catching tandem will provide both as Ross falls back to Earth in a disappointing year, but with the resulting playing time Javy puts up numbers similar to 2005 (as long as Chad Moeller doesn't get the playing time).

The answer to this is very dependent on the sometimes logic defying whims of Jerry Narron. His penchant for sticking with mediocre vets and avoiding promising youngsters will have an impact. Opportunity for Deno, Lizard and maybe some younger bullpen guys will need to develop before a surprise occurs.

OnBaseMachine
02-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Edwin Encarnacion will play stellar defense and hit around .295/.380/.525 with roughly 30 home runs, and when that happens I won't really consider it a surprise because I have come to expect it out of EdE.

I also think Brad Salmon will surprise some people with a pretty good year out of the bullpen. I think Coffey, Bray, and Salmon will form a solid bullpen trio.

Denorfia will play well if given the chance.

mth123
02-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Edwin Encarnacion will play stellar defense and hit around .295/.380/.525 with roughly 30 home runs, and when that happens I won't really consider it a surprise because I have come to expect it out of EdE.

I also think Brad Salmon will surprise some people with a pretty good year out of the bullpen. I think Coffey, Bray, and Salmon will form a solid bullpen trio.

Denorfia will play well if given the chance.

I agree on Salmon, but with the crowd in front of him, I just don't see him getting the chance.

Falls City Beer
02-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Coffey. He learned to K people last season. No one else in the pen does.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-10-2007, 10:49 AM
My pick:

If Lohse puts up those numbers, I'd sign him to a LTC. That would make a nice 1-4 with Homer, Harrang, Arroyo, and lohse.

thatcoolguy_22
02-10-2007, 10:52 AM
I think everyone's concentrating a little too hard ono our young player's potential years. Jeff Conine .402/.488/.695 :notworthy

In reality I think this will be griffey's comeback year again. This entire offseason he hasn't been placing as much stress on his body as is his usual routine would call for with all of his broken bones and whatnot... I'm calling a .270/.355/.505 with a 30hr 95rbi clip. That could just be the desperate reds fan dwelling within me but I could see this happpening

Betterread
02-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Tip of the cap to both of you for us being on the same page.

I loved the Lohse trade last year. I'm still loving it today.

I think Lohse will be a huge surprise this year.

I hope you're right. From following the Twins, Lohse has a habit of raising hopes (because of his stuff and his potential) and then shattering them. The Twins put up with this for years, until his horrible 2006 (for the Twins).
Even when he is not meeting his potential, he's a healthy major league starting pitcher - which (in the last 6 years) has not consistently been the level required to pitch in the Reds rotation.

My pick for surprise player is Bill Bray - we really need someone to step up in our bullpen.

Highlifeman21
02-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Chris Denorfia

I think the surprise for this guy would be 2 fold.

1. He gets significant playing time.
2. Jerry Narron actually plays him in CF.

I don't expect Narron to play him, and I sure as hell don't expect Narron to play him in CF when Denorfia actually does see playing time.

vaticanplum
02-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Well, I'll bite. Hatteberg will still be good. Not as good as his best points last year and not as bad as his bad ones. He'll even out and have a solid year at the plate, he'll be put at a correct spot in the order because EdE and Dunn will be doing well which will help, and his work at first base will be reliable and...fundamental, if you will. His good nature and sunny personality will be a rock and building point for a happy team.

OnBaseMachine
02-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict Saarloos will have a solid season. I think the league change will do him some good (probably not an Arroyo-esqe improvement) but I could see him giving us 160 innings of 4.25 ERA ball this year, which would be huge.

jmac
02-11-2007, 11:18 PM
EE:I expect EE to put up #'s around 30/100.
One scouting report listed him as a "baby Aramis Ramirez".

Bray: I think he will emerge as a goto guy in the bullpen.
Sarloos : I believe while not quite the success of BA will excell in the NL.

reds44
02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
I think everyone's concentrating a little too hard ono our young player's potential years. Jeff Conine .402/.488/.695 :notworthy

In reality I think this will be griffey's comeback year again. This entire offseason he hasn't been placing as much stress on his body as is his usual routine would call for with all of his broken bones and whatnot... I'm calling a .270/.355/.505 with a 30hr 95rbi clip. That could just be the desperate reds fan dwelling within me but I could see this happpening

Marty? Is that you? If Conine hits over .400 and OPSes over 1.000 (much less 1.183), I will run around GABP naked.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict Saarloos will have a solid season. I think the league change will do him some good (probably not an Arroyo-esqe improvement) but I could see him giving us 160 innings of 4.25 ERA ball this year, which would be huge.
Agreed. There are alot of guys that I think will surprise, but I think Saarloos is the best of them all.

Ron Madden
02-11-2007, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=reds44;1241675]Marty? Is that you? If Conine hits over .400 and OPSes over 1.000 (much less 1.183), I will run around GABP naked.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wheelhouse
02-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Conine--he could get a real boost from GABP and NL pitching.

savafan
02-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Pete Schourek...uh, no, wait....I honestly believe that AGon will surprise a lot of people, and Conine as well.

KoryMac5
02-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Biggest surprise Adam Dunn hits 50 bombs and keeps his average above .270, a close second would be Salmon stepping in and being Mr. Reliable out of the pen.

Sean_CaseyRules
02-12-2007, 10:25 AM
I am going with HOMER BAILEY! If he makes it to the Majors this year, we will all love to see the show!

Ltlabner
02-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Gonzo. His defense will impress after Lopez/Clayton disasters. The pop in his bat will be helped by the GABP effect resulting in an adequate number of homers and doubles.

NastyBoy
02-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Homer Bailey get called up in May to complete the greatest 1-2-3 rotation in baseball.

marcshoe
02-13-2007, 04:41 AM
Jeff Brantley. :p: