PDA

View Full Version : Reds Gearing up for 2008-2010?

BoilerBC11
02-08-2007, 01:32 PM
I've always thought this, but after todays signing, I really get the impression that the reds are gearing up for a championship run in the 08-09, 09-10, 10-11 years.

I think that "the trade" makes sense in the regard if you consider that our main weakness (if our prospects pan out) would be bullpen. We locked up what look to be 2 solid bullpen arms that will help us out in the future, when we need them most.

I also think that the playeres we gave up were very expendible. It seems that WK likes to focus on defense, so it was very easy for him to part with FLo. And AK's spot was going to be taken by Bruce in these years. By unloading these contracts, it freed up space to sign top of the rotation pitchers...which is exactly what we've done.

I see us going into our "championship run" with a lineup consisting of:

Denofia CF (with stubbs hopefully taking over in the latter years.)
Phillips 2B (We could still possibly see him switch back to SS by 2010)
EE 3B (Super Star in the making?)
Dunn LF (I think he's expendible as well, but he may still be around...)
Votto 1B (Hopefully he adjusts well to the MLB)
Bruce RF (Should help form one of the strongest 3-4-5-6 in the league)
Defensive SS (Our lineup will not have problems scoring runs...)
Defensive C (Maybe Perez?)

Maybe I'm just a homer, but that seems like a dang good lineup...

And the rotation:

Bailey (Hopefully he lives up to his potential, but should at worst be a solid 3)
Harang (Should be one of the best #2 pitchers in the league)
Arroyo (Should be one of the best #3 pitchers in the league)
Cuerto (Hopefully he doesnt move to the bullpen)
Wood (Banking on him regaing his velocity)

Bullpen:
Coffey
Bray
Magic
Belisle?

Once again, seems to me to be a real solid pitching staff.

I really think that barring a major injury, this team will be a force to reckon with in the 08-11 years...

redlegs2370
02-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Great analysis Boiler, that makes a lot of sense and has me excited. You wonder if we could start to make a run like the Braves, and A's have done using talent from their farm system and then sprinkle in a few free agents or players acquired via a trade.

redsmetz
02-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Great analysis Boiler, that makes a lot of sense and has me excited. You wonder if we could start to make a run like the Braves, and A's have done using talent from their farm system and then sprinkle in a few free agents or players acquired via a trade.

I'm an optimist, but we're still a ways off from saying we can build from our system? Our system is still weak and it's a longterm project undoing the last 10-15 years, IMO.

dougdirt
02-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm an optimist, but we're still a ways off from saying we can build from our system? Our system is still weak and it's a longterm project undoing the last 10-15 years, IMO.

Is our system truly that weak? What makes you say that our system is weak? Sure, we arent the Devil Rays....but what makes our system weak?

bucksfan2
02-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Hold on there you getting a little ahead of yourself. The reds are pretty top heavy in the minors now. I dont think they have the depth that the braves or a's had during their impressive runs.

I can imagine an impressive team starting to develop. The impressive thing about the potentail future lineup is that it will be relitavely cheap. But we are banking on the continued development of Bruce, EE, and even Stubbs for that matter. I would hope that the reds would be able to move Freel if they do not intend to resign him. The same with Dunn. A lot about the future of this team will be determined this year in whether Stubbs can improve, Valakia still hits, whether Bruce continues to stay on track and whether Votto and Baily make a push to the big leauges.

top6
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
come on. everyone knows the Reds are building to compete in 2003.