PDA

View Full Version : Where were you when Culver pitched his no hitter

redsupport
02-08-2007, 05:13 PM
It is permanently etched in my cerebral cortical sulci and gyri almost as significant as the Kennedy assassination

macro
02-08-2007, 05:28 PM
I was most likely playing with Tonka trucks on a small pile of dirt in my parents' back yard, completely unaware that the Cincinnati Reds even existed.

redsmetz
02-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I was getting ready for going into the 8th grade and having a blast with my baby brother was a month and a half old when Culver pitched it. I remember my brother's reaction, something like "goo goo".

redsupport
02-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Were you playing with Tomko trucks?

Falls City Beer
02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Crapping my pants. I mean diaper.

indy_dave00
02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
I listened to the game. Vividly remember Reds broadcasters joking next day the Philadelphia's official scorekeeper had announced prior to next days game that he was changing an error on ball Richie Allen reached on to a hit.

George Culver is a perfect example of a No-Hitter being luck more than skill, he was a journeyman at best pitcher.

mth123
02-08-2007, 08:27 PM
I remember sitting in a car with my dad in the parking lot of some store while my mom shopped inside. We listened on the radio of our car.

Heath
02-08-2007, 09:28 PM
my dad wasn't even legal drinking age yet.

marcshoe
02-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Waiting to start first grade in a couple of months. People were still talking about it when I was old enough to follow the Reds, though, the same way they talked about Jim Merritt winning 20 with an ERA over 4. In other words, they regarded it as a fluke.

LINEDRIVER
02-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Culver's no-hitter. Where was I? In the summer of '68 and as a fourteen-year-old, I was perfecting my wiffleball curve or my swing. I would use that black electrical tape on the ball to keep it from busting at the seams and to put more weight on one side of the ball than on the other side. Our backyard was perfect for wiffleball and there is no better feeling than jacking your brother's best pitch for a monstrous homerun. It's all about the bragging rights, ya know?

Remembering Merritt & Culver

I recall thinking Merritt's 4+ ERA as somewhat of an embarrassment to us Reds' fans. lol

However, now looking into it and looking back at it...........

After Merritt won his 20th game of the '70 season on Aug 26 in Philadelphia, the left-hander's ERA stood at 3.86. He made 4 more starts that season. Shoulder problems were in high gear in September. He made just 3 starts in September and did not pitch from September 9th thru September 25th. His 3 starts in September totaled just 7 innings. That rotten Sept swelled his ERA to 4.08 on the year. Merritt's arm miseries continued into the 1971 season. He won only ONE game that season.

GEORGE CULVER

The 25-year-old Culver was probably surprised as anybody that he was able to toss a no-hitter against the Phillies on July 29, 1968 in Philadelphia. Why? He went to the mound with a stomach ache and an ingrown toenail.

Philadelphia scored their only run of the game in the second-inning when Phillies' third-baseman Richie Allen reached second base after a pair of errors by Reds' thirdbaseman Tony Perez and shortstop Woody Woodward. Allen eventually scored on a sac fly by Cookie Rojas. The Reds won the game, 6-1. Culver's no-no evened up his record at 9-9. The Reds won the first game of that Monday doubleheader, 7-6, with reliever Ted Abernathy picking up the victory.

I seem to remember Culver getting more than his fair share of media attention in his days with Cincinnati because he was known to spend a big chunk of change on clothes. He was a sharp dresser.

redsupport
02-08-2007, 11:10 PM
plus the Reds got the redoubtable , puissant, Fred Whitfield the key player in the galaxy

reds44
02-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I wasn't alive.

George Anderson
02-08-2007, 11:18 PM
I was exactly one month from being born, and I am sure so eagerly anticipating being a Cincinnati Reds fan for life!!

In fact I would have been wearing a Reds hat in my mothers uterus if they let me.

redsupport
02-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Even though you were in utero could you sense Culver's command that evening?

George Anderson
02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Even though you were in utero could you sense Culver's command that evening?

Mom told me she turned the radio up real loud so I could hear!!

RANDY IN INDY
02-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Wonder if he wore that purple double breasted suit of his to Connie Mack Stadium before that game?

lollipopcurve
02-09-2007, 08:49 AM
The bedazzlement of Culver's coup de grace has never taken flight of my being -- I am still living it.

thatcoolguy_22
02-09-2007, 09:12 AM
my dad was 3 years old at the time...

minus5
02-09-2007, 09:17 AM
I was 5 and outside of liking Pete Rose, wasn't paying much close attention to baseball yet.

MississippiRed
02-09-2007, 09:17 AM
I was five years old that summer and until just now, had no idea who George Culver was or that he pitched a no-hitter that season. That is the season I became a Reds fan, though, because Johnny Bench was rookie of the year and I was a catcher on my kiddie league team.

CySeymour
02-09-2007, 09:51 AM
I was less than 2 months old

TStuck
02-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I was exactly 48 days old.... but I remember it as if it were only yesterday!:laugh:

cumberlandreds
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM
I was five years old. I am sure I was enjoying my childhood while playing with my matchbox trucks and cars. I wasn't interested in sports yet and this just passed me by.

westofyou
02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I seem to remember Culver getting more than his fair share of media attention in his days with Cincinnati because he was known to spend a big chunk of change on clothes. He was a sharp dresser.

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/culver.gif

Joseph
02-09-2007, 11:57 AM
I was not yet born, and I'm sure you would win the award for most inane posts of the off season. Kudos to you. :)

Yachtzee
02-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I was not yet born, and I'm sure you would win the award for most inane posts of the off season. Kudos to you. :)

Well, it is the offseason, what else are we going to talk about that hasn't already discussed? At least it got me looking up George Culver to find out more about him. Now if we could just get some photos of Culver's suits so that vaticanplum and creek can weigh in on his fashion sense...

westofyou
02-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Well, it is the offseason, what else are we going to talk about that hasn't already discussed? At least it got me looking up George Culver to find out more about him. Now if we could just get some photos of Culver's suits so that vaticanplum and creek can weigh in on his fashion sense...

Plus he was acquired for Tommy Harper, a Reds enigma

In 1967 the lack of power and the iffy fielding plus Rose's move to RF had persuaded new Reds GM Bob Howsam to deal Harper for something the team lacked, pitching.

So it was off to Cleveland for George Culver and two other players, Culver was a fireballer with one major pitch - a fastball, Culver also fit the Howsam type of pitchers that the Reds would be pursuing over the next decades, large (6′2″) and strong. In Cleveland he had been a reliever, in Cincinnati he was thrown into the starting rotation and in 1968 he had a great season for a converted reliever.

P ERA GS
226 3.23 35

Of course the season in retrospect was the most pitching centric year in the game since the deadball era, so that has to be taken into consideration and when Culver only threw 100 innings the next year after he contracted hepititis (and allowed the same number of HR’s as the year before (8)) it was probably no surprise to the Reds that he had peaked - as a starter at least, he had a small ratio when it came to walks and strikeouts and eventually his lack of a second pitch sent him back in the bullpen for the rest of his career.

tripleaaaron
02-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I was negative 14 years old

redsupport
02-09-2007, 05:09 PM
but if you place a negative in front of it you turn positive

Spitball
02-09-2007, 06:48 PM
I was fifteen and spending the summer on Long Lake in Harrison, Maine. I remember I was listening to a Red Sox-Orioles game on a little black GE transitor radio, moving around the cabin trying to improve the reception, when I found out about Culver's gem.

mth123
02-09-2007, 07:09 PM
I was fifteen and spending the summer on Long Lake in Harrison, Maine. I remember I was listening to a Red Sox-Orioles game on a little black GE transitor radio, moving around the cabin trying to improve the reception, when I found out about Culver's gem.

Thanks Spitball. I was starting to feel pretty old as one of the few that remember.

Spitball
02-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks Spitball. I was starting to feel pretty old as one of the few that remember.

I almost responded to your post because it brought back memories of sitting in the car with my dad and listening to ball games.

Those are memories that will always live with me. :)

redsupport
02-09-2007, 07:27 PM
culver also had the same initials as another Herculean performer on the mound for the Reds Greg Cadaret, or I mean Geoff Combs

RANDY IN INDY
02-09-2007, 09:49 PM
culver also had the same initials as another Herculean performer on the mound for the Reds Greg Cadaret, or I mean Geoff Combs

Yeah, but their wardrobe's didn't hold a candle. GC was GQ.;)

Driver62
02-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I was 27 years old and was stationed in Japan with the Air Force.