PDA

View Full Version : No individual Opening Day tickets for sale?

Chip R
02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I've got mixed feelings about this.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070209/SPT04/702090447/1071/SPT

Heath
02-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Everyone who has a ticket better show up.

registerthis
02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
I suppose the goal is to sell as many tickets as possible.

But this is sad if they actually go through with it.

macro
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Opening Day tickets have become increasingly hard to get since the 42,227-seat Great American Ball Park replaced the 51,744-seat Cinergy Field in 2003.

...and this is exactly why the new park was built with fewer seats: to tip the balance of supply and demand just a bit.

The Reds last year sold the eight-game Power Packs - which include Opening Day, all fireworks nights and select other games - but they held back some tickets to ensure that some would remain for Opening Day.

I don't understand this sentence. If there were Opening Day tickets still left over after all the Power Pack sales, then the team didn't really hold back anything. They were just left over. :confused:

I really don't have a problem with the approach the Reds are taking. If some people are willing to shell out the money for a Power Pack, then they should get priority over those wanting just Opening Day tickets. If there aren't any left over after the Power Packs are sold, then so be it.

I still don't get the "held back" thing, though.

Caseyfan21
02-09-2007, 11:43 AM
I think this stinks. I absolutely can't afford to shell out money for 11 games up front at the beginning of the year. Usually when I go down to a game it's a decision that's made the day or week before...I can't plan 11 games for the entire year at this point of the season. I know undoubtedly there will probably be at least 4-5 games I won't make it too. Not even mentioning the fact that when I do go down I usually just buy cheap tickets because there is always more than enough room to move down.

This will be very sad if it's true and it will probably mean I won't be going to any more Opening Days. I have never had a year where I didn't get OD tickets through TM if I wanted them. I have gone to several the past few years but I refuse to pay the outrageous Ebay prices. I'm glad the Reds are going to make some money and it's a smart marketing strategy but it's leaving some fans out in the cold.

Yachtzee
02-09-2007, 11:49 AM
It stinks for out-of-towners, for whom buying a power pack makes no sense, but the opening day tickets are probably what makes the power pack so popular. I wonder if they would sell nearly as many if it didn't include tickets to opening day.

After this year, once I'm finished with school, I'd like to take the wife and kids down to Opening Day. I've never had the opportunity to see the Findlay Market parade and all the other festivities that go on with Opening Day in Cincinnati. I guess now I'll have to find a ticket broker or find out if any local connections could help me out.

Joseph
02-09-2007, 11:50 AM
eBay here I come.

GAC
02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
"We're telling people the best way to get Opening Day tickets is to buy a season ticket," Allen said.

Kiss my grits you pencil pushing, bean counting, cockroach.

Fine. So I may not get to go down to Opening Day this year and freeze me arse off. :mooner:

macro
02-09-2007, 12:12 PM
...it's leaving some fans out in the cold.

Yes, but the same number of people will get into the ballpark that day, regardless of how they do it. Conversely, the same number of fans will be left out, regardless of how they do it.

I absolutely can't afford to shell out money for 11 games up front at the beginning of the year.

You could always buy a Power Pack, put it on a credit card, and then sell off the excess on ebay or to a broker. You may or may not break even on them, but it might be cheaper in the long run than paying an excessive amount to a broker or someone on ebay for just Opening Day tickets.

It stinks for out-of-towners, for whom buying a power pack makes no sense, but the opening day tickets are probably what makes the power pack so popular...I guess now I'll have to find a ticket broker or find out if any local connections could help me out.

Same deal, Yachtzee. Buy the Power Pack and sell off the rest.

I will admit a major hole in my suggested approach, however. There may be thousands of people with the same idea. If the Reds tank this year, there will be tens of thousands of unwanted Power Pack tickets floating around that were bought for no other reason than to get Opening Day tickets. If that happens, many people will have to completely eat those. So, take my advice with a grain of salt. It's a gamble.

:)

creek14
02-09-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm so turned off for the coming season, and this makes me even more so.

But I already decided to buy the powerpack just for OD tickets. Creek jr is off school for spring break that day and he really wants to go.

And I'll do what I did last year and what macro is suggesting - sell some of the tickets.

I use to be a 25 - 30 games a year chick, but the FO keeps pushing me away.

2001MUgrad
02-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I may very well be done with going to a freaking game then. This is just like the Reds though. Very single and simple minded. Those plans make it impossible for anyone outside of an hour drive to get opening day tickets. I for one don't have the cash to throw money on something I cannot go to and thats exactly what I would be doing if I got any of those plans.
While I understand they are doing anything they can to get as many tickets sold as possible, they also need to look out for the best interest of the fans. All of the season ticket holding scalpers will buy up all the season tickets. Also, the only thing that ever comes out of John Allen's mouth is how it is hard to compete in a small market. Well, do something about it. Reds country used to be OH, KY, IN, WV, VA, NC, TN and I'm probably leaving out a few states. But you could basically be in those states and hear or watch a reds game. Now, its basically OH, KY, parts of IN, and Parts of WV. Are they trying to shrink the fan base even more?? Thats essentially what they are doing with this.

steig
02-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, but the same number of people will get into the ballpark that day, regardless of how they do it. Conversely, the same number of fans will be left out, regardless of how they do it.

You could always buy a Power Pack, put it on a credit card, and then sell off the excess on ebay or to a broker. You may or may not break even on them, but it might be cheaper in the long run than paying an excessive amount to a broker or someone on ebay for just Opening Day tickets.

I will admit a major hole in my suggested approach, however. There may be thousands of people with the same idea. If the Reds tank this year, there will be tens of thousands of unwanted Power Pack tickets floating around that were bought for no other reason than to get Opening Day tickets. If that happens, many people will have to completely eat those. So, take my advice with a grain of salt. It's a gamble.

The problem with that is that while you get Opening day and a couple of good games they sell off a bunch of the less attractive games in the Power Packs. i don't know how much luck people will have trying to sell September Reds/Pirates games on ebay.

The Reds are banking on the idea that fans will want to go to Opening day bad enough that they will spend the extra money even if they don't use tickets for 5 or 6 of the 11 games package.

Thankfully, there are always scalpers in Cincy and their prices will vary somewhat that day based on the weather.

Chip R
02-09-2007, 12:51 PM

It's probably not too much of a gamble. If these Power Packs are going to be gobbled up, it stands to reason there will be few seats available for those games. If someone who didn't buy the Power Packs wants to go to those games, they can either try to get them through the Reds and get what little they have and pay the service fee on that, or they can go to ebay and probably get a better deal.

Yachtzee
02-09-2007, 01:07 PM

It's a much greater gamble if you are buying 4 as opposed to 2. If I want to take the wife and the 2 boys down for Opening Day, I'd need 4 tickets. That's a lot of money to eat if I can't sell of the rest of the tickets. I guess the only way to tell if it's still a deal or not is to monitor prices through brokers and eBay to see if the price of 4 power packs costs less than 4 OD tickets otherwise.

Ltlabner
02-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Aren't the Reds simply allocating the opening day tickets first to the season ticket holders/power pack folks, and whatever left over tickets would be made available to the general public?
"That's a possibility," chief operating officer John Allen said. "If we sell out through the packages, that's a possibility. We don't know if that will definitely happen. But it could potentially."

While there is a risk of not having any tickets "left over" it doesn't neccessarly mean they are 100% not going to sell OD tickets to the general public.

I guess I have mixed fealings too. I think it makes sense to give the season ticket/package deal the perk as they are willing to invest long-term in the team. On the other hand, I can understand that if this comes to pass, it means out-of-towners are frozen out of opening day.

I guess the question becomes how many out-of-towners actually go to opening day?

gonelong
02-09-2007, 01:23 PM
The Reds have had a hot ticket for opening day for quite some time now. It only makes sense to package those hot tickets with other tickets. They should have been capitalizing on this YEARS ago.

When they announced these packs I thought it was LONG overdue. Its just good business and it gives me some hope that the people in charge have some clue as to how to maximize their revenue.

Last season it was 8 tickets. This year it will be 11. If its successful this year it'll be a 15 game package or so. By making that opening day ticket more scarce, they are creating demand that carries over for another 10 games. Very, very smart to leverage one sellout and to basically make it into 11 sellouts.

The organization reaps rewards on the ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, etc., the players have a full house to play in front of, the fans have a nice atmosphere at the game with the packed house. The increased attendance likely gives them a bump in advertising dollars. They win all the way around.

GL

Cyclone792
02-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I really don't have a problem with the approach the Reds are taking. If some people are willing to shell out the money for a Power Pack, then they should get priority over those wanting just Opening Day tickets. If there aren't any left over after the Power Packs are sold, then so be it.

Agreed.

The Reds main priority is to fill the park as much as they can 81 times per season, and honestly, that's what I'd prefer to see. If fans buy a season ticket plan, they should be entitled first priority for Opening Day tickets and playoff tickets. Likewise, fans buying a power pack and making a committment to buy tickets to several games this season should have some of those same privileges. If there's 42,000 people attending Opening Day via season tickets and power packs, then that's at least a half million tickets already sold for the season (and we know it's actually much higher than that).

I know Opening Day is treated as some sort of holiday around here, and people tend to get emotional while bending over backwards with extraordinary effort trying to grab Opening Day tickets. But honestly, and I hate to be harsh, I wish some of those Reds fans would make even half that same effort to attend some of the other 80 home games during the season. Some of those same people who drop what they do trying to get Opening Day tickets won't even come out to another game all season.

In fact, there's likely to be more Cubs fans in the seats than Reds fans during the second and third games of the season, and that truly is sad. Not to mention the fact that it's easy to remember what happened last August and September when ownership was forced to slash ticket prices in half and offer dollar hot dogs in an effort to fill the stadium despite the Reds participating in an improbable playoff race. Of course, the park was half empty in some of those games too.

Bronson Arroyo is absolutely right when he says he wants to see the park full every night. Opening Day is nice to attend, but if I had the choice between attending Opening Day or attending several games in a packed house anytime after Opening Day, give me the latter every single time.

Heath
02-09-2007, 01:44 PM
I always try to go to the second day game of the year. It's a great day to go to a ball game.

Ltlabner
02-09-2007, 01:47 PM
I know Opening Day is treated as some sort of holiday around here, and people tend to get emotional while bending over backwards with extraordinary effort trying to grab Opening Day tickets. But honestly, and I hate to be harsh, I wish some of those Reds fans would make even half that same effort to attend some of the other 80 home games during the season. Some of those same people who drop what they do trying to get Opening Day tickets won't even come out to another game all season.

I agree totally Cyclone, and don't think it's harsh.

Opening day is really just a big social event. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. Casual fans have all but abandoned the reds the other 80 home games unless the Yankee come to town or they hand out some crappy give away. While I can understand why they've mostly given up on the Reds, it doesn't change the fact that they have. So you have one day of giant Reds cellibrations and 80 days of apathy. I wonder which one is the real indicator of the love of Cincy folk for the Reds?

Cincinnati was a "baseball town" durring the 70's...when the team was winning. Take away consistant winning and what do you have? 1/2 price tickets, $1 dogs and a mostly empty ballpark. Cincinnati is nowhere near a "baseball town" IMO.

Opening day tickets should go first to those who are willing to commit to supporting the team through the course of the year. After that, it's first come, first served.

redsfan30
02-09-2007, 01:52 PM
The Reds have had a hot ticket for opening day for quite some time now. It only makes sense to package those hot tickets with other tickets. They should have been capitalizing on this YEARS ago.

When they announced these packs I thought it was LONG overdue. Its just good business and it gives me some hope that the people in charge have some clue as to how to maximize their revenue.

Last season it was 8 tickets. This year it will be 11. If its successful this year it'll be a 15 game package or so. By making that opening day ticket more scarce, they are creating demand that carries over for another 10 games. Very, very smart to leverage one sellout and to basically make it into 11 sellouts.

The organization reaps rewards on the ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, etc., the players have a full house to play in front of, the fans have a nice atmosphere at the game with the packed house. The increased attendance likely gives them a bump in advertising dollars. They win all the way around.

GL

Agree fully.

macro
02-09-2007, 01:59 PM
I may very well be done with going to a freaking game then. This is just like the Reds though. Very single and simple minded. Those plans make it impossible for anyone outside of an hour drive to get opening day tickets. I for one don't have the cash to throw money on something I cannot go to and thats exactly what I would be doing if I got any of those plans.

...and then we have fans who live on the West Coast (some of them regulars on this site) who, because of geography, find it overwhelmingly challenging to ever attend any game at GAB. Since I live hours away, I feel your pain. But let's face it -- those who live in the Cincinnati metro area have advantages that the rest of us do not, and that's just the way it is. Again, if being at Opening Day is important, buy a package and sell off what you can't use.

Yachtzee
02-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Just for the record, I think that it's good business for the Reds to pair the popular OD tickets with other games, even though it stinks for me personally. In fact, if I were the Reds, I would ID series were the road team brings in a lot of fans from the outside and make sure some of those games were part of the power pack. If you have a power pack that mixes in Opening Day with some of those weekend Cubs games and a few less desirable games like the Pirates and Rockies, you might help ensure a greater percentage of Reds fans at those Cubs games. On the other hand, when the Reds open against the Cubs, it might backfire.

Phhhl
02-09-2007, 02:04 PM
The Reds are trying to generate more ticket sales. Though it affects me and I probably won't be able to go to Opening Day now, I don't know that it is the worst idea they've ever had. You can't rely on walk ups and bobble heads to account for so much of your business when you are trying to build the value of a franchise. The Reds have to start getting into the wallets of people who have done Opening Day in the past and haven't gone to any other games all season. Unfortunately, fans like us are collateral damage. But, hopefully the strategy will pay off in better attendance throughout the season.

Cyclone792
02-09-2007, 02:09 PM
I always try to go to the second day game of the year. It's a great day to go to a ball game.

Yup, that's the game I'm always looking forward to. I went last season with the temps in the low 60s and sunny without a cloud in the sky, and I even got started on the summer tan. Arroyo strikes out seven Cubs, slams a homer, the offense puts up eight runs and the Reds take home a victory.

I even yelled at some Cubs fans.

It was altogether an outstanding day for a game.

LoganBuck
02-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I like to go to the first night game.

I think this is a tremendous idea, and the Reds should be commended for putting butts in the seats. Maybe in July the Reds can go out and add a player if needed because of this.

Chip R
02-09-2007, 02:50 PM
I really don't think they are going to sell so many Power Packs that there won't be any Opening Day tickets left. I think one of the reasons they are doing this is because Opening Day has become something of a non-baseball event. I know that sounds silly because they do play a game there that day. It's been said before that there are people that just go on Opening Day and no other time. Perhaps the Reds are trying to get more baseball fans who will go to more games than just Opening Day. You just want to go on Opening Day just to say you were there? Buy your ticket on ebay or from a broker. If you want to go to just more than Opening Day, buy a Power Pack or season tickets. Some people aren't going to be happy with this but every year when Opening Day selles out in 15 minutes, I hear people crying about how they couldn't get them. Perhaps they will have a better shot now.

Also this may keep Cubs Fan from buying tickets to the first series. They can use their unemployment checks to get tickets later on in the season. ;)

Caseyfan21
02-09-2007, 03:11 PM

I just won't buy an Opening Day ticket before I shell out the cash to buy one from a broker. I love Opening Day and what it means to Cincinnati but honestly I can't see the logic in paying 3x face value from a broker or Ebay when I could use that money to go to 4 other games (or more if I buy cheap tickets). I have been to Opening Days and it's been magical but in reality it's just one game out of 81 home dates. I like to go to Opening Day and years when I can I have always been able to buy a ticket on Ticketmaster. I know I have been lucky.

I agree with others that this is brilliant marketing by the Reds. They might as well capitalize on what people want. Short of them scalping the Opening Day tickets on Ebay this is probably the best option for them to maximize Opening Day profits. I think it's smart, I just don't like it. :dunno:

Yachtzee
02-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Short of them scalping the Opening Day tickets on Ebay this is probably the best option for them to maximize Opening Day profits. I think it's smart, I just don't like it. :dunno:

I believe it may be the Cubs who have decided to venture into that territory by having their own ticket brokers who scalp tickets.

Chip R
02-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I believe it may be the Cubs who have decided to venture into that territory by having their own ticket brokers who scalp tickets.

You are correct, sir.

2001MUgrad
02-09-2007, 05:41 PM
We'll see.

I think what you will have is scalpers that buy up all of those 20 pack deals for the season tickets. Scalp the opening day ticket to basically pay for the rest of the tickets and anything they sale the rest of the year is pure profit.

Again, not in the best interest of the fans IMO. I think you should grow your fanbase. I don't think this is an effort of doing so. Sure, it will certainly increase cash flow in the short terms. But not in the long term. IMO, it will hurt fan growth.

Ltlabner
02-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Again, not in the best interest of the fans IMO. I think you should grow your fanbase. I don't think this is an effort of doing so. Sure, it will certainly increase cash flow in the short terms. But not in the long term. IMO, it will hurt fan growth.

How does having X amount of tickets set asside for opening day "grow the fanbase"?

They've done that for years and attendence has not been growing.

remdog
02-09-2007, 08:47 PM
This reminds me of the 'grey market' (which I delt in for about 15 years). The grey market is perfectly legal and simply defined is 'taking merchandise out of one channel of distribution and selling it in another'.

For someone that has limited funds, buying the power pack could lead to a summer of free baseball if the market is right. Buy the power pack, sell the opening day ticket (and any others that you may need to sell to reach the initial investment) and go to the rest of the games for 'free'.

This is a bit like day trading in stocks or commodities, you have to be aware of the market shifts and the trend may not always continue in your favor but, worst case scenario, you could always use the tickes. (shrug)

Rem

Newport Red
02-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Same here. I'd just as well avoid opening day.

I'm taking thursday and friday off. That's two day games in 4 days.

Can't wait. Come on April!

KittyDuran
02-09-2007, 09:18 PM
As someone who ponied up for a full season ticket package for the first time this year (not only for Opening Day tickets - but because I finally had money to do it- $475 for one cheap seat)... I don't have a problem with the article. Obviously, the FO (Allen) is pushing season tickets and the Power Pack. And as others stated it just good business. And the article is pure speculation. I could bet that there will be enough OD tickets available for the fan that just want to be there.

I only started going to OD in 2000. Before that year I knew I couldn't go because of work and in earlier years I couldn't get my parents to get me out of school (not to mention that I went to HS during the BRM years in SE KY). That first year in 2000 I really lucked out... when I got to Riverfront there had to be 100s of people standing in line. I sort of gave up and went to Frisch's for breakfast. Going home I turned on WLW and they said that OD wasn't sold out. Hurried to a Thriftway but was told it had sold out - I begged the guy to look again since I only wanted one ticket - he did and there was a few left. When I got back into the car WLW stated that OD was now sold out. With the arrival of the Internet sales it was easier until the opening of GABP -less seats. I can't remember the year but I was left hanging in the waiting room for minutes, then I finally get thru but the computer freezes. I hop in the car and drive down to the nearest Meijer's but they had a bright orange sign stating the OD tickets were sold out. One year 2001 IIRC I bought a OD lower level ticket for $65 from a scalper and vowed never to do that again.

Last year I bought the Power Pack for the 8 games including OD - AND I pretty much bought it for OD (as others did as well). If you remember there was trouble getting thru at the Reds website and Buckeye33 alerted us to go to Tickets.com site. I took anything available which ended up first row Bleachers. That was fine during the spring but come summer I was back in my usual perch high and in the shade. The ticket got me into the ballpark that's it. This year with the full season ticket package I know that I won't be able to go to all the games but there is a peace of mind of having the tickets already purchased and out of the way + all the perks.

2001MUgrad
02-09-2007, 09:52 PM
How does having X amount of tickets set asside for opening day "grow the fanbase"?

They've done that for years and attendence has not been growing.

#1) I think Marketing efforts from the Reds have been extremely poor the past 10 or 15 years to begin with.

Having tickets set aside for opening day may not grow fanbase, but it sure as hell shrinks the fanbase. You are turning your back on your fans. Just my opinion, I'm sure most disagree. If selling more 20 pack season tickets pushed the Reds over the top I'd be all for it, but the money to compete comes more from radio/tv rights than it does anything else.

Blimpie
02-09-2007, 10:06 PM
eBay here I come.It sure isn't going to be much of a buyer's market with the stinking Cub fans driving up the market for tix....

Ltlabner
02-09-2007, 10:17 PM
#1) I think Marketing efforts from the Reds have been extremely poor the past 10 or 15 years to begin with.

Having tickets set aside for opening day may not grow fanbase, but it sure as hell shrinks the fanbase. You are turning your back on your fans. Just my opinion, I'm sure most disagree. If selling more 20 pack season tickets pushed the Reds over the top I'd be all for it, but the money to compete comes more from radio/tv rights than it does anything else.

Well....I agree that their overall marketing efforts have been poor in recient times.

But they haven't said there will be no tickets available, only that the season ticket holders and premium package folks will get first crack so there's a chance there could be no tickets.

GAC
02-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Everyone who has a ticket better show up.

Yeah right. People will be selling them on Ebay at a higher price then a Nintendo Wii. :mooner:

GAC
02-10-2007, 07:13 AM

But not everyone lives in the general Cincy area. The Red's market stretches into what - four states (Ohio, Ky, Indiana, WV) for the most part?

I live in central Ohio, 2 1/2 hrs away from Cincy. And I'm just as much a die-hard Reds fan as that person who has the "luxury" of living in or around the Cincy area. It's simply an accessibility issue that is no fault of mine or any other fan that doesn't live nearby. Yet this FO is telling me to buy a season ticket or a Power Package if I want a chance to come down for the Opening Day game?

I usually come down for several games each summer. But I don't know what my schedule is, and I can't plan that far ahead around the games included in these Power Packages. And there certainly is no guarantee that I can sell those in which I can't attend.

And wasn't it the organization itself which created/promoted this "holiday" atmosphere that we see every Opening Day? And I think that it's great; but they created this "atmosphere" (monster), and are now shutting a lot of fans out of Opening Day.

What I hate is that they appear to be treating those fans who don't live in the general area of Cincy as some sort of "second class" fan.

Opening Day is a special day for all Red fans, and there shouldn't be gimmicks place on that one day just to sell more tickets throughout the remainder of the year. I understand what they are trying to do from a marketing aspect; but there are better ways to sell those other days/dates then doing this to Opening Day IMO.

Heath
02-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Yup, that's the game I'm always looking forward to. I went last season with the temps in the low 60s and sunny without a cloud in the sky, and I even got started on the summer tan. Arroyo strikes out seven Cubs, slams a homer, the offense puts up eight runs and the Reds take home a victory.

You weren't in the scouts seats, were you?

:D

That's the game I usually do something stupid and buy the dugout view seats or down the line a bit.

The one time I went down on a day game and sat in the sun deck in right field, I got placed in the middle of a college party. My oldest at the time was 5 and needless to say he was overwhelmed. We didn't stay long.

gonelong
02-10-2007, 10:10 AM
I understand what they are trying to do from a marketing aspect; but there are better ways to sell those other days/dates then doing this to Opening Day IMO.

Like what? IMO this is the best way for them to maximize ticket sales.

From an efficiency standpoint and an effectiveness standpoint I contend this is the single best way to move those other dates.

While you regard yourself as being penalized for not being in the Cincy area, I regard this move as the Reds supporting the fans that are willing to support them over the long haul. (Which also happen to be the fans most likely paying the taxes to support the stadium they play in). This leaves out of towners 81 more ball games to go to, its hardly like they are turning fans away at the door. I'd bet its being well received in Cincy.

After years of underselling their one proven commodity, they are finally selling it for what the market will pay for it.

Hooray!

GL

johngalt
02-10-2007, 11:23 AM
While you regard yourself as being penalized for not being in the Cincy area, I regard this move as the Reds supporting the fans that are willing to support them over the long haul. (Which also happen to be the fans most likely paying the taxes to support the stadium they play in). This leaves out of towners 81 more ball games to go to, its hardly like they are turning fans away at the door. I'd bet its being well received in Cincy.

This is spot on. The problem I've always had with Opening Day is you have TONS of fans who are pushing and elbowing to get Opening Day tickets, but then that's the only game they want to go to. If you're a big Reds fan, why not support the team at some of the other 80 games as well?

The thing is, even with the Power Pack being 11 games or whatever it is, you're not paying full price for all the games if I remember correctly from last year. So even if you just went to Opening Day and maybe 5 or 6 of the other games - which I'm betting will include some weekends - then you're getting your money's worth.

Tickets to Opening Day are at a premium. No matter how they sell the tickets, it's going to sell out and sell out fast. So why not give fans who are willing to attend other games as well the opportunity to be at the most special game of the year? I look at it the same way I do playoff tickets. Fans who support the club through season tickets - who are the lifeblood of an organization - get first dibs as a reward and a perk.

vaticanplum
02-10-2007, 02:35 PM
I agree with the sentiment that the Reds want fans there more often than just Opening Day, but the fact is that this is a move that benefits scalpers. If people go for Opening Day only, they go for Opening Day, and I honestly don't know many people who fall into that category who will suddenly make the jump to 10+ games...unless the team starts to win. Once again we come back to that pesky little caveat. But to lay out the money up front? I dunno if they will. I seriously doubt it. Opening Day is a social event as well, which means that five power packs would need to be purchased for a family or a group of friends. A family in particular may very well not be able to shell out for 50 tickets up front, and with families as busy as they are it's doubtful that a family of five will be able to see themselves making it to 10 games a season together.

So what we have left is a handful of people who want to go to Opening Day and are probably willing to pay for it. We have a bunch of scalpers who can pick up power packs or whatever and likely sell the Opening Day tickets so high that they barely have to worry about the rest (but they can scalp them anyway if they want). These Opening Day tickets will be extremely expensive, only people who can afford them will purchase them, the Reds perhaps make a little more money but don't get the seats filled the rest of the season, and who wins? Scalpers and scalpers only.

KittyDuran
02-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Does anyone know if the scalpers purchased Power Packs last year (just for OD)?

BTW, I still think it's much ado about nothing. Of course, it doesn't help that the messenger is a lightning rod to many on this forum. Whatever comes out of his mouth is sure to be a bitter pill to swallow...

So what we have left is a handful of people who want to go to Opening Day and are probably willing to pay for it. We have a bunch of scalpers who can pick up power packs or whatever and likely sell the Opening Day tickets so high that they barely have to worry about the rest (but they can scalp them anyway if they want). These Opening Day tickets will be extremely expensive, only people who can afford them will purchase them, the Reds perhaps make a little more money but don't get the seats filled the rest of the season, and who wins? Scalpers and scalpers only.Except for mentioning power packs... this statement can be applied to every year. Every year the OD tickets are expensive (and getting more expensive)to those who do not purchase season tickets, power packs, or get thru via standing in line, phone or Internet. What to do? Turn to ebay or scalpers. For many years it was just scalpers, and if you wanted to see the whole game with opening festivities, you'd pay just like I did one year. It's not going to change. Anyhoo...Any bets on how long it will take to sell-out this year???

Matt700wlw
02-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Good BUSINESS move.

GAC
02-10-2007, 06:07 PM
This is spot on. The problem I've always had with Opening Day is you have TONS of fans who are pushing and elbowing to get Opening Day tickets, but then that's the only game they want to go to.

How do you know that? I doubt it's the only game they go to.

If you're a big Reds fan, why not support the team at some of the other 80 games as well?

You're assuming they don't? Maybe they don't want to get locked into games/dates in which they can't or don't want to attend? They'd rather reserve those choices for themselves.

The thing is, even with the Power Pack being 11 games or whatever it is, you're not paying full price for all the games if I remember correctly from last year. So even if you just went to Opening Day and maybe 5 or 6 of the other games - which I'm betting will include some weekends - then you're getting your money's worth.

Which is about how many games I go to a year. The problem? How am I getting my money's worth when they make me take predetermined dates that I can't attend and have to find a way to get rid of to keep from throwing away money? While I'd love to be able to go to games during the week, my work schedule and drive distance (2 1/2 hrs) makes it an impossibility. So I pretty much have to go down on a Friday/Saturday schedule. So having to buy a Power package where I am most likely getting week day games means I must then find someone to take them off my hands (or eat them). Again, not so easy to do when the people in my locale are pretty much in the same boat as I am.

And I'd bet that a lot of the people having to buy those Power Packages, just to get Opening Day tix, are going to have to do the same thing also - selling off dates because they won't be able to attend on some of them.

I believe in supporting your team (and I do); but that is a undeserved burden to be placing on a lot of fans IMO.

Fans who support the club through season tickets - who are the lifeblood of an organization - get first dibs as a reward and a perk.

And how many of those season ticket holders are using scalpers, ebay, and other avenues to sell off those unwanted seats, and at premium prices to their fellow fans? Yeah, that's really supporting the team. :laugh:

Yachtzee
02-10-2007, 06:31 PM
GAC has pretty much outlined the problems that us out-of-towners have with being able to buy a power pack. I think it would be better, and much more marketable to out-of-towners, if they sold a "flex-pack." Rather than selling you opening day and a bunch of tickets to certain games, they could sell you how ever many tickets you buy to Opening Day, coupled with voucher redeemable for a certain number of other dates. Granted you don't get the guaranteed sales to specified games, but you are using Opening Day to sell more tickets, which is the goal, isn't it?

SandyD
02-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Actually, are the Power Packs somewhat flexible regarding dates, or are the dates locked in? Do the Reds give season ticket holders the opportunity to swap unused tickets for tickets to another game, subject to availability?

If I lived locally, I'd jump at the chance to pick up a pack if there was some flexibility in the dates, or some way to swap tickets I could not use.

SandyD
02-10-2007, 06:42 PM
GAC has pretty much outlined the problems that us out-of-towners have with being able to buy a power pack. I think it would be better, and much more marketable to out-of-towners, if they sold a "flex-pack." Rather than selling you opening day and a bunch of tickets to certain games, they could sell you how ever many tickets you buy to Opening Day, coupled with voucher redeemable for a certain number of other dates. Granted you don't get the guaranteed sales to specified games, but you are using Opening Day to sell more tickets, which is the goal, isn't it?

:lol:

I was typing while your were posting this.

Here's the thing ... someone like GAC could buy a Flex Pack for 11 tickets. Go to Opening Day. Bring his family down for a game twice during the season, and he'd have only a couple of tickets left. That's doable for a nearby out of towner. (Doesn't help us that live well out of the area, but that's OK.)

Cyclone792
02-10-2007, 07:10 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/ticketing/season.jsp

People really should check out the vast amount of season ticket and flex plan options that the Reds really have. The Reds are bending over backwards to accomodate fans willing to pony up in advance for tickets, and season ticket holders receive some very nice perks.

BTW Sandy, to answer your question, yes season ticket holders do have the option of exchanging unused tickets for tickets to another game, subject to availability.

Yachtzee
02-10-2007, 07:50 PM

People really should check out the vast amount of season ticket and flex plan options that the Reds really have. The Reds are bending over backwards to accomodate fans willing to pony up in advance for tickets, and season ticket holders receive some very nice perks.

BTW Sandy, to answer your question, yes season ticket holders do have the option of exchanging unused tickets for tickets to another game, subject to availability.

There are some nice options there. But it doesn't look like buying a flex plan gives you the chance to buy tickets for Opening Day. Now if they coupled the flex-plans with at least the chance to buy Opening Day tickets and you've got the "GAC plan."

StillFunkyB
02-10-2007, 08:01 PM
I have no problem with the whole season ticket, power pack approach.

They should still set aside x number of seats for those who do not, or can not get one of the packages.

I just don't understand why they can't just make a cutoff at around 30-35k for season ticket packages and the rest are for single game tix.

Cyclone792
02-11-2007, 02:57 AM
There are some nice options there. But it doesn't look like buying a flex plan gives you the chance to buy tickets for Opening Day. Now if they coupled the flex-plans with at least the chance to buy Opening Day tickets and you've got the "GAC plan."

Call the Reds or email the Reds. Explain your situation. See what they can do. If you want, I can give you a couple names (and email addresses) of Reds' representatives that you can discuss the matter with. They may be able to help you out.

I think some people may be surprised how willing the Reds will be to help people out as much as possible.

GAC
02-11-2007, 06:37 AM

Hey! I like that! :mooner:

I have no problem whatsoever with Season Ticket holders getting "perks". I think they should for ponying up the money. Especially when it comes to Opening Day.

My concern is the Power Packages where I am locked in on certain games/dates that I KNOW I am not going to be able to attend, so therefore, I have to find a way to unload/sell them. It turns me into a scalper. I have to TRY to unload them for 2 reasons - 1) work schedule 2) budget (in order to be able to afford to go down to the games I am able to I first have to recoup my money from those various committed dates in order to have the monies for those tix).

If they had a flex plan where I could chose 6-7 dates to go along with Opening Day, then I'd be more then OK with that 100%. I'm doing the planning - not the Red's FO.

I'm not arguing with the "brilliancy" of the marketing plan in trying to sell other game dates. Simply the fairness to ALL fans, and that it's not taking into account the reality of various family situations/commitments/assessibility (see below).

People really should check out the vast amount of season ticket and flex plan options that the Reds really have. The Reds are bending over backwards to accomodate fans willing to pony up in advance for tickets

Sure. Fans that live in the general vicinity of Cincy. If I did, then I would probably be a Season Ticket holder. I'd be divorced too; but I'd be a Season Ticket holder. So I got that going for me. :mooner:

But I was on that link yesterday checking it out. You have 4 options on those 20 game packages. Problem? 20 games? For two tickets in the Moondeck seating, you're looking at $800 w/tax. That is not a big deal. The problem? As I glanced through those various options, and the dates, there are 6-7 games (weekends) in each package where I'd probably be able to attend. That means I would have to find a way to unload 13-14 dates, that are during the week. Again - the problem is finding those people to take those tix off my hands. Most are in the same boat I am when it comes to week day games. Also - it's only two tickets. Those people that I do know that go down to games, from the central Ohio region (Columbus and surrounding areas), make it a family venture. Hard to do that with only two tickets.

You're addressing the issue (I'm assuming) as a young, single man who also lives in Cincy. Your commitments are far different from mine. Put yourself in my shoes, and many others who, while die hard Red/baseball fans, have family commitments. So it takes some planning, and saving money, to bring my family down to a few ballgames each summer. You're talking about anywhere from $200 on to bring a family down for one game. Now multiply that by 6-7 dates and you're talking some serious jack to a family.

Four tickets under one of those 20 game options is still $1600 (just for the tix). That's a lot of money from a family budget. Most middle class familes come close to spending that on their yearly family vacation (which they save for all year). And then I have to try and sell a bunch of dates off for the same reasons above. You also have to realize that families have kids involved in various other summer activities (sports, etc) that makes it impossible during those first 3-4 months to get down to the stadium for set dates dictated by these packages. Two of my kids play baseball until July.

Ltlabner
02-11-2007, 08:15 AM
I think some people may be surprised how willing the Reds will be to help people out as much as possible.

My father, who is somewhat demanding to deal with from a customer service perspective, sang the praises of the couple of folks he dealt with in the season ticket department. :thumbup:

KittyDuran
02-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't really know why you're complaining GAC... didn't you get to go to OD last year because Chip got you a ticket??? :confused:

KittyDuran
02-11-2007, 12:24 PM
BTW, I went to one OD because a b-i-l company's had one extra ticket (out of four). So I got to sit by some sales types (one who was a Cards fan, one who had never been to a Reds game and another who hadn't been to a game since the strike)...:angry:

KittyDuran
02-11-2007, 12:26 PM
How do you know that? I doubt it's the only game they go to.
I have know at least 20 over the years including the 3 mentioned above. It happens because OD is more of an event than an actual game. Go to the 2nd game of the year or that weekend when it cold, rainy, snowy, the kids are in school, etc. and see the attendance (not good).

02-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I have know at least 20 over the years including the 3 mentioned above. It happens because OD is more of an event than an actual game. Go to the 2nd game of the year or that weekend when it cold, rainy, snowy, the kids are in school, etc. and see the attendance (not good).

The only April game I want to attend Is OD. I go to 15-20 games a year, but it is too uncomfortable in there too often in April. I'll brave the weather for OD, but then I would rather wait until May to go again, unless I decide at the last minute to go and it is warm. It seems the wind swirls through there sometimes and makes it feel colder in there than it is outside the ballpark. There have been a couple of ODs that it actually felt heated outside to me when I left the ballpark after the game. I think the wind comes in through center field and whips around the seating bowl through the main entrance.

I am gonna buy the power pack if it includes enough games that I can attend. I figure if I eat a few tickets it might still be better than the ebay price.

Marge'sMullet
02-11-2007, 01:40 PM

I was at that game too, and I totally agree that the REDS are being smarter about marketing this. I probably went to 10 games last year, not a lot by some's standards, but more than the avg. I'm sure.

KittyDuran
02-11-2007, 02:17 PM
I was at that game too, and I totally agree that the REDS are being smarter about marketing this. I probably went to 10 games last year, not a lot by some's standards, but more than the avg. I'm sure.I was there too... and here's what I wrote before going [in the game thread]

I'll be there! Taking a half day off work and besides the game is part of my Power Pack Package. BTW, I got that half day only after checking my tickets for the Power Pack on Tuesday- it was a last minute thing to get off and my supervisor was nice enough to approve it.

GAC
02-11-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't really know why you're complaining GAC... didn't you get to go to OD last year because Chip got you a ticket??? :confused:

Which shows just how hard it is to get OD tix Kitty.

But I'm not complaining about an Opening Day ticket Kitty. And yes, Chip got me a ticket which I am very grateful for. And that was because I have tried over the last several years to get tix for Opening Day; but since I don't live in the Cincy locale, where I can go down and "camp" at the ticket office, I have to "park" on the phone and/or via the 'net on the morning they go on sale, to try and get a couple tickets. And I've never been able to. It's hard when they sell out in about 20 minutes. The year before TeamMorris offered me a ticket, but my wife had just got out of the hospital and I couldn't come down.

To show how die hard of a Reds fan I am, I missed work last year to come down for Opening Day. I not only lost a day's pay, but also my perfect attendance bonus. But it was well worth it. I have never been to one prior to that. But again, not because I have never tried.

So the Reds are not having a problem selling Opening Day tickets. The problem are future dates during the week. And it's not because fans only care about Opening Day; but because those with families have other commitments during the week, especially during the first few months of the season (Apr-June) with their kids in various activities (sports, etc). So when they do come down they have to be able to do so at their leisure, when they can plan around those events, and not have it dictated to them by the Red's FO with set dates in these packages.

Again - the Red's market stretches into four states. They have a lot of die-hard, committed fans who do come to the games. These package options on the Reds site are a good idea; but again, only for those that live in the general vicinity of Cincy. And that's because of the weekday dates you are committed to. You live in Cincy or the general area, then it's not hard to get down to those weekday games.

Tying Opening Day tix, which are hard to get in the first place, to set packages, basically screws those fans who live within their market but are hours away. It's already hard for us to get OD tix to begin with. So if it happens, with these packages, then you've made it almost an impossibility.

I'd love to hear how many fans, who live in a 2-3 hour radius around Cincy, and go to numerous games per year, are going to commit to these packages. I bet not many, and it's not because they aren't committed to the Reds; but it's an accessibility/flexibility issue.

macro
02-14-2007, 11:16 AM
GAC, you have made your case very well, and have caused me to rethink my stance on this issue. I sympathize with you. The Reds are doing this because they can and because they apparently feel that the benefit of selling more tickets up-front will outweigh any ill-will generated by the decision. While I fully understand your points, I'm betting that the Reds are right.

Only 42,000 or so were going to get to go to Opening Day regardless of how they did it, and the vast majority of the people there the first Monday in April will be the same ones who would have been there anyway. I realize that that's little consolation to the out-of-towners like you and others who have spoken up in this thread, though.

Big Klu
02-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Anything new regarding Opening Day tickets?

I agree with GAC. I am a Reds fan, and I go to numerous games over the course of the season. Last year I went to 14 Reds games--10 of them at GABP, including Opening Day. I have been to nine Opening Days, including eight in a row. However, purchasing a ticket package is out of the question, because I live about 3 hours away, and some of the other games in the package (especially weeknight games in April, May, and September) are impossible for me to attend due to work requirements. If I could choose which 10+ games I could go to as part of my package, I would consider it, but as it is, it looks like I'm going to get scalped.

KittyDuran
02-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Has anyone got the info on the Power Pack? The games, other than Opening Day, that will be included?

GAC
02-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Anything new regarding Opening Day tickets?

I agree with GAC. I am a Reds fan, and I go to numerous games over the course of the season. Last year I went to 14 Reds games--10 of them at GABP, including Opening Day. I have been to nine Opening Days, including eight in a row. However, purchasing a ticket package is out of the question, because I live about 3 hours away, and some of the other games in the package (especially weeknight games in April, May, and September) are impossible for me to attend due to work requirements. If I could choose which 10+ games I could go to as part of my package, I would consider it, but as it is, it looks like I'm going to get scalped.

Exactly Klu. I would have no problem at all with purchasing a package of 8-10 games if I could choose the dates in accordance with my schedule and family commitments.

GAC
02-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Has anyone got the info on the Power Pack? The games, other than Opening Day, that will be included?

I see where they are now advertising this "Select A Seat" package Kitty.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/ticketing/selectaseat.jsp

And if you scroll down to the link below on the various season ticket packages they have four options in their 20-Game Packages. Are those considered the Power packages? But I don't see where Opening Day is included in those particular packages.

GAC
02-17-2007, 06:52 AM
GAC, you have made your case very well, and have caused me to rethink my stance on this issue. I sympathize with you. The Reds are doing this because they can and because they apparently feel that the benefit of selling more tickets up-front will outweigh any ill-will generated by the decision. While I fully understand your points, I'm betting that the Reds are right.

Only 42,000 or so were going to get to go to Opening Day regardless of how they did it, and the vast majority of the people there the first Monday in April will be the same ones who would have been there anyway. I realize that that's little consolation to the out-of-towners like you and others who have spoken up in this thread, though.

Thanks macro.

I fully understand the marketing aspect of what the Red's FO is trying to do. That is what they are in the business to do. It's really a stroke of genius from a marketing standpoint to utilize the "hugeness" and popularity of OD, and connect it with these package deals to try and get more fans to commit to tickets on days where attendance lags (weekdays). It's just that it does leave a lot of die hard fans, who already were finding it hard to get OD tix, in an even harder "fix" so to speak. You're basically going to be "left out in the cold" (even though it's usually freezing on OD anyway :lol: )

KittyDuran
02-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I see where they are now advertising this "Select A Seat" package Kitty.

And if you scroll down to the link below on the various season ticket packages they have four options in their 20-Game Packages. Are those considered the Power packages? But I don't see where Opening Day is included in those particular packages.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/ticketing/season.jspNo, the Power Pack last year was 8 games (including OD) - someone said this year it will be 11 games.

Red in Chicago
02-17-2007, 09:55 AM
No, the Power Pack last year was 8 games (including OD) - someone said this year it will be 11 games.

i bought last year's power pack and was hoping to do the same this year...

macro
02-17-2007, 11:03 AM
You're basically going to be "left out in the cold" (even though it's usually freezing on OD anyway :lol: )

Yeah, the irony in your comment (which you recognized) is that those with tickets will be out in the cold, while those without tickets will be home and warm.

:D

02-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Anyone remember what seat levels were available on Power Packs last year?

KittyDuran
02-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Anyone remember what seat levels were available on Power Packs last year?Here's the thread in which the Power Pack was talked about last year with links... IIRC at first it was only View Level and Bleachers, then when there was a snafu on the website , the team opened up the upper level (cheaper seats).

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42692

KittyDuran
02-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Bumping this back up... this blub by Fay on his blog:
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/default.asp

Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Opening Day tickets

No, I don't have any to give away. But the Reds are close to announcing details of the procedure for this year.

The big change: No Opening Day tickets will be available at Great American Ball Park when single-game tickets go on sale. The club will begin selling Power Packs, probably 11-game Power Packs, March 3. Those packages include Opening Day tickets. If all those sell, no Opening Day tickets will be available. If all the Power Packs don't sell, the remaining Opening Day tickets will be sold in an online sweepstakes.

GAC
02-20-2007, 09:08 PM
The big change: No Opening Day tickets will be available at Great American Ball Park when single-game tickets go on sale. The club will begin selling Power Packs, probably 11-game Power Packs, March 3. Those packages include Opening Day tickets. If all those sell, no Opening Day tickets will be available. If all the Power Packs don't sell, the remaining Opening Day tickets will be sold in an online sweepstakes.

I wondered why tickets, even these packages, hadn't been put up for sale yet. Last year tickets went on sale around Feb 18th didn't they? I guess they are trying to build demand/expectation. ;)

KittyDuran
02-20-2007, 09:57 PM
I wondered why tickets, even these packages, hadn't been put up for sale yet. Last year tickets went on sale around Feb 18th didn't they? I guess they are trying to build demand/expectation. ;)I guess they're giving people every chance to buy season tickets first. There will be an "Select-A-Seat" event at GABP this Saturday for fans who want to talk one-on-one with sales and see their seats. I went to one of those a couple years ago and it was great. Got to see the Press Box and take a pic with Marty.

Cincinnati Reds Select-A-Seat
Saturday, Feb. 24

Guarantee your Opening Day ticket options by purchasing season tickets at our Select-A-Seat Day.

Mr. Perfect Tom Browning, a 2006 Reds Hall of Famer, will be on hand from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.!

Date: Saturday, Feb. 24
Time: Arrive anytime between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Where: Great American Ball Park in the FSN Ohio Club 4192
Admission is free. All are welcome!

When you purchase a season-ticket plan during the Select-A-Seat event, you will receive a pair of complimentary passes to the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum.

Season-ticket holders enjoy exclusive perks and privileges!

(513) 765-7500

Can't make Select-A-Seat?
You can still be a Season Ticket Holder and it's easy! Buy season tickets online now.