PDA

View Full Version : CF and closer options

fewfirstchoice
02-09-2007, 04:30 PM
What if the Reds trade Bray for Rowland then sign Hermanson to be the closer.I think it would help the team on all fronts.What do you think?

Red Leader
02-09-2007, 04:32 PM
What if the Reds trade Bray for Rowland then sign Hermanson to be the closer.I think it would help the team on all fronts.What do you think?

Just to be clear, do you mean the Phillies Aaron Rowand?

reds44
02-09-2007, 04:33 PM
No. I think we would have to hang Krivsky if he did that.

Dracodave
02-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Deno>Freel>Rowand.

I'd still go with Deno over both.

The_jbh
02-09-2007, 05:25 PM
I think with amply playing time, Chris Denorfia is Aaron Rowland in a production sense

tripleaaaron
02-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Rowand and Freel are very similar, both play all out, while I like these players this wouldn't solve anything, I can see it now, With Rowand in Center and Freel in right, Both going all out to the ball with recklessness, smashing into each other. Although I like Rowand we need to look elsewhere, a little more pop and RBI's

edabbs44
02-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Deno is CF.

Coffey should be given first crack at closer. Maybe Bray gets 15-20% save chances to keep his head in it.

I'd rather see if Coffey/Bray can handle the role than have Weathers and Stanton be the closers on a team which has a minimal shot at the playoffs.

BRM
02-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Deno is CF.

Coffey should be given first crack at closer. Maybe Bray gets 15-20% save chances to keep his head in it.

I'd rather see if Coffey/Bray can handle the role than have Weathers and Stanton be the closers on a team which has a minimal shot at the playoffs.

I concur. There really is no reason to trade for a CF right now. Deno and Freel can take of the job.

dunner13
02-09-2007, 06:14 PM
I think deno wouldnt be much of an offensive drop from rowand. And I guarantee you that bray +deno is greater than rowand+hermanson.

edabbs44
02-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I concur. There really is no reason to trade for a CF right now. Deno and Freel can take of the job.

If anything, I'd be shopping Freel.

Kc61
02-09-2007, 06:22 PM
To me, the only reason to trade Freel or Deno is to get a lefty hitter for CF. That way you can have a lefty/righty platoon (both Freel and Deno are righty hitters). Rowand doesn't accomplish that.

We don't know what the Reds really think of Deno. I thought he looked real good in September, once he got comfortable. He hits a lot of infield grounders -- at one point he hit a ton of grounders to short -- but eventually he seemed to get over that.

If Freel can get 350 at bats as a centerfielder, with Deno getting 250 at bats in center, that would work for me. (Freel could get some more at bats filling in elsewhere occasionally.) Wonder what the Reds braintrust has in mind.

Red Leader
02-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I think the Reds can afford to trade Freel / Deno if they can get a RH power hitting bat in return to stick in the 5th spot in the order. Their lineup could really use a RH power bat to hit behind Griffey.

Another scenario would be to trade Freel / Deno + a reliever to get a closer in return.

Yet another scenario would be to trade Freel / Deno + Milton to get a better option in the rotation.

Those are the three scenarios I'd trade Freel / Deno.

edabbs44
02-09-2007, 06:36 PM
I think the Reds can afford to trade Freel / Deno if they can get a RH power hitting bat in return to stick in the 5th spot in the order. Their lineup could really use a RH power bat to hit behind Griffey.

Another scenario would be to trade Freel / Deno + a reliever to get a closer in return.

Yet another scenario would be to trade Freel / Deno + Milton to get a better option in the rotation.

Those are the three scenarios I'd trade Freel / Deno.

I'll take scenarios 2-3. The first one...not so much. Where does that RH "power hitter" play? Freel shouldn't be traded for a platoon guy. I'd like to see him dealt for a young pitcher with a good amt of promise. Florida would be my first call.

TeamSelig
02-09-2007, 06:56 PM
I'd rather just keep Freel, although if the right deal came along I wouldn't ignore it.

TOBTTReds
02-09-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't understand this. Why would you trade away something you need (bullpen, especially a lefty with upside) for something you have in surplus (centerfielders). We have two VERY capable, and good CF'ers in Freel and Deno.

jojo
02-09-2007, 09:08 PM
This team needs another centerfield option like it needs another catcher.

RedsManRick
02-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Freel for Armando Benitez. Deno in CF. Problems solved.

mth123
02-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Freel for Armando Benitez. Deno in CF. Problems solved.

Only if we get Correia too for taking on Benitez Contract. They can have Weathers or Majewski or Saarloos to fill Correia's spot.

Highlifeman21
02-09-2007, 11:34 PM
If anything, I'd be shopping Freel.

As would I. Before ST, during ST, and after ST Freel should and will be a Red without a home (aka position).

Let's trade him to a team that's convinced he's an everyday CF or RF or 3B or 2B, b/c for the Reds he should be none of the above.

fewfirstchoice
02-10-2007, 02:45 PM
You guys have to understand that JR isnt going to move to right for any of the CF we have on the roster as we speak.So in order to improve the D in CF the Reds will have to bring in a solid CF from somewhere else.So if we could get the Rowand deal done I think he would move to right.If there is no deal JR will stay in CF.

jojo
02-10-2007, 04:58 PM
You guys have to understand that JR isnt going to move to right for any of the CF we have on the roster as we speak.So in order to improve the D in CF the Reds will have to bring in a solid CF from somewhere else.So if we could get the Rowand deal done I think he would move to right.If there is no deal JR will stay in CF.

That's a load of bunk, Jr will do what he's told and like it, or he gets no desert for a week.

pedro
02-10-2007, 05:00 PM

I wasn't aware that it was his choice. If he's so set on playing CF then he can retire and play CF for his slow pitch softball team.

Now that I've dispensed with my snotty response I'll say this: I think Junior will move if asked and I think he will be asked this spring.

BEETTLEBUG
02-10-2007, 05:08 PM
We Will See Pedro I Don't Think It Will Be Easy For Them To Ask Him.he Doesn't See Any Of The Options On The Team So I Think It Will Be Hard For Them To Get Him To Move.

pedro
02-10-2007, 05:11 PM
We Will See Pedro I Don't Think It Will Be Easy For Them To Ask Him.he Doesn't See Any Of The Options On The Team So I Think It Will Be Hard For Them To Get Him To Move.

I think it'll be easier to move him for Denorfia than Freel but frankly it's not up to him. If he doesn't want to play where he's asked then he can retire. Those are his options.

savafan
02-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Can't Hopper play CF as well?

Dracodave
02-10-2007, 05:40 PM
I think it'll be easier to move him for Denorfia than Freel but frankly it's not up to him. If he doesn't want to play where he's asked then he can retire. Those are his options.

Soriano his butt if he doesn't move. Threaten to take his playing time and money away. It broke Soriano to moving to left...certianly would break Griffey to moving to right.

George Anderson
02-10-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't understand this. Why would you trade away something you need (bullpen, especially a lefty with upside) for something you have in surplus (centerfielders). We have two VERY capable, and good CF'ers in Freel and Deno.

My thoughts exactly. A very young left handed reliever who throws very hard is truly a commodity in MLB. On my list for players that are basically untouchable I would put Bray on that list alongside Harang, Arroyo and Bailey. I'm not saying I would never trade Bray but the return would hafta be awfully darn good!!!

BEETTLEBUG
02-10-2007, 05:49 PM
I think so to Pedro. I think Denorfia would be better suited than Freel, Hopper would be ok also what about Hamilton if Narron said he will be playing every game possible in Spring to get at bats to make the club?